General Video Game Thread

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

i have procured The World Ends With You

We are now basically counting the minutes until Naney gets a Joshua avatar.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i forget, is joshua the kaworuclone
    also i understand that like the nasuverse there are two or three characters named shiki
  • games that i confuse:

valiant hearts
    rusty hearts
    Calica said:

You are speaking a foreign language.
    Calica said:

also i understand that like the nasuverse there are two or three characters named shiki

There is only one Shiki.
    Calica said:

Yes.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh man, TWEWY is wonderful. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Yes Joshua is totally nane's style, and yes Calica he at least looks like Kaworu.
  • Panurge said:

Calica said:

i frequently feel that way when i am around people of a fandom i am not familiar with
  • I hope you have fun with TWEWY Naney, I had a blast with that game.

Right now I'm messing around with Catacomb Kids with limited success. Roguelikes are hard (as they should be).
    Panurge said:

Calica said:

wait are you telling me you haven't seen evangelion
  • has anyone actually seen evangelion

im beginning to suspect that it doesnt actually exist outside of tumblr gifs
  • are you serious you didn't know already

it's like touhou, but anime

like touhou, it doesn't exist
    Much like Kiddy Grade.
  • edited 2015-04-30 23:54:28
    so apparently a new feature that may or may not be implemented yet (i haven't figured it out yet) is such that devs can request steam to ban their players from cheating or being abusive

details are not quite clear so i'm betting it hasn't been implemented yet

though some people are worried about such bans preventing people from playing single-player and also devs handing out bans for bad reviews or something
  • turning on my 3DS for the first time in forever

there’s a theme shop now!
    naney said:

has anyone actually seen evangelion

I think it's kind of a joke about the Vorstellung arc of Goro Goro Iki.

Which, okay was a weird arc, but you didn't need to make up some fake anime to mock it.
  • thoughts on my first couple minutes: the fact that you move and attack with the stylus throws me off a little, but i'll get used to it

i got hit by those dumb frogs multiple times which makes me feel pretty lame
    naney said:

thoughts on my first couple minutes: the fact that you move and attack with the stylus throws me off a little, but i'll get used to it

i got hit by those dumb frogs multiple times which makes me feel pretty lame

You really do get used to it.
  • Chances are that if the title of your videogame is most appropriately pronounced by a deep, intimidating male voice, I don't want to play it.

Same goes if the game contains a voice clip of a deep, intimidating male voice saying "KILLING SPREE".
  • https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6899-IOSK-9514

more details on this apparently-now-a-thing thing

or allegedly it's been in place for a while now but only publicly stated now
  • Chances are that if the title of your videogame is most appropriately pronounced by a deep, intimidating male voice, I don't want to play it.

Same goes if the game contains a voice clip of a deep, intimidating male voice saying "KILLING SPREE".

fuck you the Halo series is great.

except for 4.

also what if it's a cutesy female voice saying "Killing Spree"

I'd play that game.
    People saying the game's title when you hit start is not done enough.
  • edited 2015-05-01 00:51:42

Chances are that if the title of your videogame is most appropriately pronounced by a deep, intimidating male voice, I don't want to play it.

fuck you the Halo series is great.

except for 4.

also what if it's a cutesy female voice saying "Killing Spree"

I'd play that game.
    i didn't say i'd play a game if it was a cutesy female voice saying "killing spree"

i probably still wouldn't

(also, keywords "probably" and "chances are")
  • edited 2015-05-01 00:53:19
    though yeah i've never really gotten into FPS games anyway lol
    Panurge said:

i actually can't think of any game i've played that does this

hooray for small reference pools
    though yeah i've never really gotten into FPS games anyway lol
    Panurge said:

i actually can't think of any game i've played that does this

hooray for small reference pools

• edited 2015-05-01 01:06:16
    ...I'm sorry, I lost it and started laughing at RE4.

I laughed again at Outbreak.

Thank goodness they didn't actually say "Raccoon City".

And does it even make sense for them to say things like the sequel numbers or "3D"?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

has anyone actually seen evangelion

I've actually been watching Evangelion recently.

I've been liking it more than I expected to.

We're quite possibly illusions of each others' minds, though, so I'm not sure if that says anything.
  • Panurge said:

They changed the voice-clip for Super Street Fighter IV AE when they released USFIV.

I'm still angry about that. The new guy sounds bored.
  • thoughts on the game so far: the whole hip and urban aesthetic seemed a bit forced at first but i've warmed up to it

and I am quite enjoying myself

BUT

holy fuck the protagonist is a wild bag of dicks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    2 meme 4 u
    naney said:

memes the dna of the soul
  • Panurge said:

naney said:

The memes, Jack.
    Panurge said:

naney said:

how about "full of shit", is that a meme
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-05-03 02:41:12
    Most of the way through a Bunny Must Die 15% run.  Just took down Alice.  Lord Pumpkish was exactly as much of an a-hole as I expected -_-

So I'm thinking now that I have all the preliminary bosses done with below 15%, I just do a no-save blitz of as much gear as is reasonable, then pick up the health thing near the very beginning and go through the Septentrion back door.  Chelsea's surprisingly easy as long as you have enough time stuff to regen, and a couple bunny dolls can seal the deal without much trouble.  Mostly I'm just worried about spiking myself to death on stupid shit gathering pickups, but the bunny dolls are plentiful enough I guess.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-05-03 05:09:31
    I'm also watching the Ys anime.  Like a really bad WWII racist joke, they managed to fuck up the L's and R's of almost every single name in the entire series that uses those letters, except for Adol.  Dalles, Luta, Reah, the Roda tree, Rado's Annex...pretty much everyone.

Also after the first few episodes everyone starts talking in really fast run-on sentences.  And I'm pretty sure Episode 5 in particular was sped up by at least 25% (Last Moment of the Dark sounds really dumb when played that fast).

It's kind of a shame, because animation-wise, it's probably one of the better 90's cartoons I've seen by a long shot, and the voice acting is really good (albeit babbly and at times badly written) once they all settle on how to pronounce certain names.  It takes a few episodes before everyone decides on how to say "Adol".  The actors are great -- it's purely a direction problem.
  • edited 2015-05-03 07:53:22
    If you get far enough into the browser/flash tower-defence game Paper War, the last wave of the level may be enemies called "spawners", which break into two new enemies when you defeat them, so you have to defeat those as well.

If you defeat them too quickly, it seems that there's a bug that prevents the remaining spawners that have'nt appeared yet from showing up at all.  (I was gonna say "spawning" but that could be confusing.)  This causes the level to become unwinnable.

Well, time to mark that as done.
  • edited 2015-05-03 22:41:03

Me, Pyridrym, and Cream (or Miko now :o ) played some Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. As you can see it's a serious game for serious people.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Chicken Fry
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Chicken Fry was me, yes. ^_^
  • quality of GBA game adaptations:

Teen Titans - 3 of 5 stars
    Totally Spies - 3 of 5 stars, maybe 2
    Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas - The Pumpkin King - 4 of 5 stars
    Monster Force (not actually an adaptation but of a similar calibre) - 2 of 5 stars, maybe 1
    Was Totally Spies really a fetish show, or did perverts on TvT just insist this was the case?
  • depends on what you mean by "fetish show"

it featured female characters in cartoonishly-drawn skintight bodysuits

if that's your thing, maybe
  • Panurge said:

Was Totally Spies really a fetish show, or did perverts on TvT just insist this was the case?

it was one of a couple French shows from around the same time that seemed to mostly exist to put the main characters in oddly suggestive situations.

If it had other points, I don't remember them. There was a guy in it who looked like Maximilian Pegasus also.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The perverts on TVT would have you believe A! was a fetish show, just because there was one or two sexy characters in it and/or the leads had potty mouths, and that's totes scandalous!

Panurge said:

it was one of a couple French shows from around the same time that seemed to mostly exist to put the main characters in oddly suggestive situations.

If it had other points, I don't remember them. There was a guy in it who looked like Maximilian Pegasus also.
    canadian but yeah.

there were canadian flags everywhere so they could show the canadian content people that they were canadian content