The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• i wish american shows practiced Anime Accent Absence, when there's a focus on the characterization

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeAccentAbsence

because it gets distracting from the immersion when i want to feel emotionally connected to the character

and also it's sometimes offensive
  • edited 2015-02-07 19:49:11
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    But accents are a real thing!

Some pepole actually have accents.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Acererak said:

I have heard NGNL comparisons to SAO

This does not encourage me in any way to watch the show
    All Light Novels now are about an MMORPG becoming real.
  • yeah

and if you interact with them for long enough you feel a familiarity to them that transcends the oddness of their pronunciation
  • Panurge said:

Acererak said:

I have heard NGNL comparisons to SAO

This does not encourage me in any way to watch the show
    All Light Novels now are about an MMORPG becoming real.
    strangely enough the one lone light novel series that i've read is about that

or something close to it

it's .hack//Another Birth

albeit which is about a person being stuck in a virtual world rather than the virtual world becoming real but yeah similar idea
  • i don't understand why i feel uninterested in the persona series despite everyone's praise of it including that of trusted friends

i want to understand why but i can't figure out how to go about coming up with that understanding
    NONE of these animes interest me.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

NONE of these animes interest me.

none of these heads interest me.
  • edited 2015-02-07 19:51:35
    i have a hunch that "HuniePop" is supposed to be pronounced like "honey pop"

but every time i see it i pronounce it "hugh knee pop"

(also no, i don't want the game, not interested)
  • edited 2015-02-07 19:52:32
    STILL INSIST IT IS SHEE AH LEH BOOF

*pounds table loudly*
  • damnit there's no spanish dub of el cazador de la bruja
    (2015 self)
    Aliroz said:

Man, I think fanservice is required by law in japan or something.

And daaaaaaaaaaaaang, Case Closed is long.  I mean, so many chapters of manga, it's insane.
    To be fair, there are certain arcs that are good as stand-alones.  It's not like you need to read more than 10% of the whole thing to really get the story.

Although, just warning you guys, absolutely never search for fanfiction for Case CLosed/ Detective Conan.  -shudder-.
  • I feel that accents are good in mediums with sound. 

With the caveat that the character is more than just a 5-dollar accent
  • at taco bell listening to billy preston with my dad
    naney said:

at taco bell listening to billy preston with my dad

Billy Preston is someone I should listen to more of.
  • Aliroz said:

Although, just warning you guys, absolutely never search for fanfiction for Case CLosed/ Detective Conan.  -shudder-.
    > searching for fanfiction at all
  • Yeah, people liking a thing and then wanting more of that thing, how terrible.
    (2015 self)
    Hey, some fanfiction is really really good, though.
  • edited 2015-02-07 21:26:11
    i'm okay with "westernizing" the names in anime so long as the narrative is preserved

in the case of stories that depend heavily on setting cues, the narrative will not be preserved, so in those cases it's not okay

but in the case of stories with relatively generic settings and focus on character interactions, that makes much more sense because it makes the characters more relatable

ideally this would be done individually for each different cultural region that the show is brought to
  • getting sick of the internet hating on feminists as a meme.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • getting sick of the internet hating on feminists as a meme.

Except it's not a meme, it's a tactic to undermine a group of people so that common people will take it less seriously.
  • You know how politicians like to crap on other politicians? Why do you think they do that? for funs and giggles? no, because it's a legitimate political move to undermine your opposition's standing position.
    everybody knows politics is a silly game
  • everybody knows politics is a silly game

You only get to decide the laws everyone has to live by, what silly games.
    it's like they're playing with people's lives! it's HILARIOUS
    (2015 self)
    Ban politics.  Make it illegal.

People have died, people have been force to go to war over politics.

The true reason we separated church and state is because states are inherently corrupting; it was for religion's sake, not the state.
    today I had the realization that comedy is much more disturbing than tragedy.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

today I had the realization that comedy is much more disturbing than tragedy.

tragedy is when i stub my toe, comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die
    right.
    Aliroz said:

The true reason we separated church and state is because states are inherently corrupting; it was for religion's sake, not the state.

This is a good comment, I give it a like.
  • edited 2015-02-07 23:06:10

i would buy a sweater with pre-distressed moth holes in it IN A HEARTBEAT. Do you know how hard it is to properly wear in a sweater to get that perfect moth hole created? BASICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.
  • Comedy is to optimism what tragedy is to pessimism.

optimism seems like a whole lot of denial when it's bred from a place of ignorance, for instance, the idea that everyone has some good in them is the ignorance of people who will justify the means and carry out vicious acts because of a sliver of good within the activity.
  • if we ban politics then what happens?
  • politics cannot be banned

it is a natural phenomenon arising from human social interactions
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

if we ban politics then what happens?

we just need to get a strong leader who can make the hard decisions, like suspending democracy and committing genocide
  • edited 2015-02-08 01:17:59
    (warning: #gamergate)

https://twitter.com/CHOBITCOIN/status/564147988251955200

20:12 - Schrödinger's Quint: oh gosh, this twitter thread
    20:12 - Schrödinger's Quint: same stuff as i saw in the SA-TVT war
    20:12 - Schrödinger's Quint: accusing people wanting decency in language as "coddling"
    20:14 - Schrödinger's Quint: see, i call it "not being an obnoxious jerk"
    20:14 - Schrödinger's Quint: also known as "not being a fucking asshole who enjoys shitting on other people and starting stupid shit just to pad their fucking ego because they've got nothing better to do with their fucking lives"
    (2015 self)
    Re-separate the continents.  Erase borders.  If possible, get rid of all ocean travel to such an extent that Sicily is unaware of the rest of the mediterranean and England is unaware of Ireland.  Get rid of anything that would allow communication across water-separated lands.

So people stay where they are and make things NEAT AND TIDY!

After enough centuries, work on eliminating the forbidden craft known as... the bridge.  And the inhuman abomination of mutilated trees known as the raft.  And the mysterious ritual known as fording.

bwahahahahaaaaaaaaa
  • edited 2015-02-08 01:50:03
    (2015 self)
    Guys.

Guys.

You already talked about Gamergate.

I don't know if you guys know this, or if you forgot, I mean, it's been quite a few hours since the last time, and hours are a long time.

Remember our "no talking about things multiple times" rule that you initiated because I wanted to talk about one of my pet things-I-talk-about for the 21,567,537th time?  
  • edited 2015-02-08 01:45:58
    (2015 self)
    Or was it initiated because Anonus wanted to talk about cartoons more than twice*? I forget, it's been hours.

*Twice, if you count by a certain number.  So sue me if I want to count by numbers other than one, you one-centered meanies.
  • Gamergate is something of a developing issue.

We're allowed to continue discussing it (to an extent)in order to examine how it worsens.
    (2015 self)
    But it's an obsession! Like politics! Or sex!

One of those things you guys always talk about and then get all huffy if people have obsessions that differ! And, oh yeah, Marx added economics to that list because he was obsessed with economics.

Is there some person who is chosen as the standard of interest, and the talk-bout-able-ness of a thing is determined by his amount of interest in the thing, or his attention span? Where can I find that guy so I can kill and replace him.
  • I found a youtube channel that does mens sewing stuff for making actually cool clothes
  • edited 2015-02-08 01:59:23
    (2015 self)
    Awesome, Naney!

Link, please?
  • which is way cooler than gamergrape imo
  • edited 2015-02-08 02:02:43
    (2015 self)
    naney said:

which is way cooler than gamergrape imo

But I love grapes.

Then again, sewing is also good.
  • I'm perfectly okay with people continuing to talk about various topics repeatedly.

After all, this thread is just sort of a public forum.
  • im ok with ok ok ok alright alright alright
    (2015 self)
    naney said:

im ok with ok ok ok alright alright alright

BUT ARE YOU OKAY WITH OK OK ALRIGHT OK ALRIGHT ALRIGHT?