The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• basement jaxx is house
  • I guess I'd want to opt for a style closer to theirs, then, since I'm already semi-somewhat house influenced?

I like their stuff a lot, I've discovered. "Do Your Thing" and "Where's Your Head At?" are probably both worthy of inclusion in the soundtrack to my life thus far, and what I've checked out of their other things has been rad.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

An alternate universe where DIC still exists and produced a Nyan Cat cartoon from 2011 to late 2012

How the hell do they even still exist? Like, I'm pretty sure that if Cookie Jar hadn't bought them out they would have ended up being liquidated in bankruptcy or something. Who would have wanted DIC as a going concern?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

An alternate universe where DIC still exists and produced a Nyan Cat cartoon from 2011 to late 2012

How the hell do they even still exist? Like, I'm pretty sure that if Cookie Jar hadn't bought them out they would have ended up being liquidated in bankruptcy or something. Who would have wanted DIC as a going concern?
    that's a very good point
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    sunn wolf said:

The Ratna Mudra.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Calica said:

Miko said:

Zoe Quinn is a hack and the "movement" she is part of does not speak for me any more than #gamergate does.

Also, this was a good read: http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/06/film-crit-hulk-smash-a-few-words-on-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3/

have you actually played depression quest or are you just saying that because she uses twine
    I'm talking about her behavior, not her game, which I played long before it was cool. It seems to me like she has been thriving less because of her game and more because she played "the victim" and used un-ethical tactics to promote her game and silence her critics. Journalists and feminists associated with her have been waging a culture war by turning "gamer" into a negative label associated with elitism, sexism, racism, privilege, basement-dwelling, and online harassment, and trying to stereotype any and all critics as such, even though it is demonstrably not true. To me, it isn't equal rights vs. white sexist slobs; it's a more complex culture war between two flawed sides, each of which has some legitimate arguments.

But ultimately, I don't have a stake in any of this. It seems to me like it isn't really about the art of making games anymore. I believe that video games as an art form and culture have always been producing nice things by talented people, as well as fun and accepting communities, yes, even for women. I believe this will continue to be the case, no matter what trends are going on in the "pop culture" side of gaming. Even if mainstream gaming were just a bunch of white sexist slobs (it's not, even though there is some of that), I wouldn't care that much, because I never cared much to participate in the mainstream culture to begin with. I will continue to be a (wannabe) grill who likes fun games, and I will never be alone in this.

So, that is my take on it. No, I don't condone the harassment of ZQ and I wish #gamergate would shut up about her sex life and sexist crap and focus on their mission statement, but I know they won't.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I drew a Touhou
  • kill living beings
    i don't need this
  • I don't understand how you can "play" a victim, if you're being harassed then fuck that shit, no seriously, fuck any kind of culture sub or otherwise that is like... yeah, harassment is ok.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    PUMPKIN SPICE ROAD WORK AHEAD
    BRAVO
    R
    A
    V
    O
  • man i'm really amazed with how much i hated that movie

when i saw it was on at the plasma donation place i was like "oh lol i guess i'll be actually seeing this now, it'll prolly be pretty meh" but then it turned out to be almost as bad as i acted like it was
  • kill living beings
    same (re: fuck those movies)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Nolan isn't completely untalented, and there's some real charm to his movies.

Unfortunately, the heavy hand, bordering on manipulation, that permeates through his movies makes them difficult to watch more than once.
  • my thought process was "well christian bale is the main character and they had a ridiculous budget so at least the special effects will be good and there'll be some decent acting so i'll have some fun"

booooooooooooooooooy was i wrong
    I associate it with a high-profile, unfortunate event
    or did at one point
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

I don't understand how you can "play" a victim, if you're being harassed then fuck that shit, no seriously, fuck any kind of culture sub or otherwise that is like... yeah, harassment is ok.

But this is exactly the false dichotomy I hate. You don't have to choose between liking ZQ or agreeing with harassment. You can be like me and do neither.
  • iunno

i mean, i'm completely indifferent to her but im not sure how someone could be "playing the victim" if they are, in fact, a victim

victims don't have to be sympathetic characters
  • or rather, saying that she's "playing the victim" implies that she is not a victim

which is absurd
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Miko, I agree with you, but your usage of edgelord language like "playing the victim" is hurting your argument more than it is helping it.
    Okay, my chocie of words was bad there.
    naney said:
    ok that is pretty hilarious
  • for context Supreme recently listed that hoodie, it sold out in under 5 seconds and now there are at least 10 people hawking that thing for 3-400 bucks on the site
  • Miko said:

Calica said:

Miko said:

Zoe Quinn is a hack and the "movement" she is part of does not speak for me any more than #gamergate does.

Also, this was a good read: http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/06/film-crit-hulk-smash-a-few-words-on-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3/

have you actually played depression quest or are you just saying that because she uses twine
    I'm talking about her behavior, not her game, which I played long before it was cool. It seems to me like she has been thriving less because of her game and more because she played "the victim" and used un-ethical tactics to promote her game and silence her critics. Journalists and feminists associated with her have been waging a culture war by turning "gamer" into a negative label associated with elitism, sexism, racism, privilege, basement-dwelling, and online harassment, and trying to stereotype any and all critics as such, even though it is demonstrably not true. To me, it isn't equal rights vs. white sexist slobs; it's a more complex culture war between two flawed sides, each of which has some legitimate arguments.

But ultimately, I don't have a stake in any of this. It seems to me like it isn't really about the art of making games anymore. I believe that video games as an art form and culture have always been producing nice things by talented people, as well as fun and accepting communities, yes, even for women. I believe this will continue to be the case, no matter what trends are going on in the "pop culture" side of gaming. Even if mainstream gaming were just a bunch of white sexist slobs (it's not, even though there is some of that), I wouldn't care that much, because I never cared much to participate in the mainstream culture to begin with. I will continue to be a (wannabe) grill who likes fun games, and I will never be alone in this.

So, that is my take on it. No, I don't condone the harassment of ZQ and I wish #gamergate would shut up about her sex life and sexist crap and focus on their mission statement, but I know they won't.
    See I'd agree with this if this was ever about games in the first place, but it never was. It was about Quinn's ex's dumb revenge plot, and has now blossomed into this whole conspiracy theory-driven subculture about how feminists are secretly plotting to ruin video games.

I'm not saying that the, for lack of a better term, social justice side of this whole thing doesn't have issues too, it does, but I'd argue that the self-identified GGers have a lot more problems, which are a lot more immediately relevant to the quote-unquote "debate".
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    not like most of the people they're targeting aren't the ones who actually pointed out big problems in callout culture and/or video game enthusiast press anyways
  • but this is all taking away attention from the big problem

that video games are Actually Pretty Bad for some reason

like what's up with that?
    I want to emphasize that I don't support #gamergate.

And most importantly of all, #gamergate doesn't even score.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    "It's great! 8.5/10" - IGN
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    For the record, fried tofu is amazing.
  • naney said:

but this is all taking away attention from the big problem

Well, they keep using the same stuff over and over... I would say White male protagonist, but apparently that kind of critcism of the game falls under feminism. 
  • Miko said:

I want to emphasize that I don't support #gamergate.

And most importantly of all, #gamergate doesn't even score.

Do they lift though.
    naney said:

but this is all taking away attention from the big problem

man, i give you people an entire page of stop sign images and then you go and use somebody else's???
  • what was really rad was that after the final the professor told me that i hadn't handed in a worksheet and that i could email it to her within the next few days and she'd grade it for full credit
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    we need a stop sign with the strike buzzer from Family Feud over it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    vidya games
  • kill living beings
    i'm going to copy that supreme thing but with a hoodie i get from kmart
    It's Baneposting's 3rd anniversary and you guys are talking about dumb shit
    HOTHEADS
    O
    T
    H
    E
    A
    D
    S

In 1997, the COTA bus system got on board: For an extra $9 fee, students could use their Buck ID to ride buses on any Columbus route for free.

Do people just not know what words mean, or...?
  • edited 2014-12-12 03:11:24

Miko said:

Calica said:

Miko said:

See I'd agree with this if this was ever about games in the first place, but it never was. It was about Quinn's ex's dumb revenge plot, and has now blossomed into this whole conspiracy theory-driven subculture about how feminists are secretly plotting to ruin video games.

I'm not saying that the, for lack of a better term, social justice side of this whole thing doesn't have issues too, it does, but I'd argue that the self-identified GGers have a lot more problems, which are a lot more immediately relevant to the quote-unquote "debate".
    Zoe Quinn has played the victim because she is the victim.

Modesty is a lovely thing but sometimes it simply doesn't have a place. Addressing the simple reality of things- that she has been given absolute hell- is totally reasonable.

[Edited to salvage formatting -- Central Avenue]
  • What Majjik Jane said.

The whole point of my first post is that nerdrage correlates less with online harrassment than gender of the victim
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    boobies
  • Our quoteblocks are still fucked up worse than Paul Wall in a room filled with codeine bottles.
  • kill living beings
    hgg hggg hgg