The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• what's reasonable walking distance?
  • edited 2014-08-12 22:54:43
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    For me, reasonable walking distance is an average of up to half an hour to get from my apartment to that location. Sometimes I'll make exceptions and say 40 minutes, but that's it.

It's better than at my old place which was so far out in cul-de-sac land that "reasonable walking distance" was an hour and a half.
  • I live in a mobile home park.

You might be able to get to the little hovel of Lower Walnutport in half an hour from here, but all that's there is a gas station and two pizza places (one of which is delivery only, and the other, the Firestone, is super fucking expensive).
  • edited 2014-08-12 22:57:46

hmm

i think the longest i ever walked was like

from the rosedale mall to my house?

so that's 6 miles, took about 2 1/2 hours IIRC

it woulda been a nice walk, except it was unreasonably hot out and my cheap-ass new shirt was chaffing me a wee bit

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

In the part of Atlanta where I currently live, I can walk to a MARTA station, abandoned industrial buildings reworked into low-cost housing, a small community market, and a few run-down shopping districts. That's about it as far as reasonable walking distance goes.

The closest things they have to fast food are Subway and Zesto (which is more of a diner).
    Is it plausible for you to make a day trip of it and take a train or a bus further into the city now and then?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like walks
    naney said:

hmm

i think the longest i ever walked was like

from the rosedale mall to my house?

so that's 6 miles, took about 2 1/2 hours IIRC

it woulda been a nice walk, except it was unreasonably hot out and my cheap-ass new shirt was chaffing me a wee bit

I've walked about seven miles or so before, but mainly at night. It can be fun.

now actually one of the most fun characters in the game.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Ah, there's where we differ in our experiences. I can't drive, nor do I have relatives/housemates who drive out on a regular basis.

Also, there was one time I walked for 2 hours each way just to get $5 Moe's Monday at the nearest Moe's on a school holiday. That was interesting.
  • edited 2014-08-12 23:01:09

one time my uncle roger walked from cannon falls to red wing and back when he was living with my dad

42 miles total
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

In the part of Atlanta where I currently live, I can walk to a MARTA station, abandoned industrial buildings reworked into low-cost housing, a small community market, and a few run-down shopping districts. That's about it as far as reasonable walking distance goes.

The closest things they have to fast food are Subway and Zesto (which is more of a diner).
    Is it plausible for you to make a day trip of it and take a train or a bus further into the city now and then?
    It is perfectly possible, but that would mean spending $5 for transportation. So I'd have to consider it carefully.

It would also mean surviving Five Points Station, which is often a frustrating experience.
    Just think about it like this: The people around you are only relevant to your experience if you let them be. Aside from basic politeness, just ignore them and pretend you're somewhere else or doing something else.
  • Ugh, long ass day. The sky peed on me and I still can't sleep so well.

Tomorrow I see the doctor. Hopefully he'll stock me up on my medication before my insurance goes bye-bye. And I start Dominos. Whoo.
    Hey JZ! I heard you were back, but I didn't get around to getting on here until recently.

Sorry you had a rough day. Good luck with everything else.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yes, good luck JZ.
    Hullo JZ

sorry about the rough day. I had one too
  • edited 2014-08-12 23:17:29

Hey JZ! I heard you were back, but I didn't get around to getting on here until recently.

Ahh, no worries. I've been pretty busy as well. My appearances may be a bit flaky cuz off the stuff I have to do >.<

How's it going with you?

Anon: Thank ya.

Imi: -hugs- Any particular reason?
  • Things I should prolly work on: my swearing
    I feel like watching 101 Dalmatians: The Series even though it's mediocre and does strange things to my mind
    *hugs JZ*

Had to work later than usual to help clean stuff up. Got semi-chewed out by manager for work area being not super-sparkly clean. Bleh.
  • i have a job

im currently pondering quitting tomorrow, as i have the money i need and lol fuck working with raw chicken seriously

Ahh, no worries. I've been pretty busy as well. My appearances may be a bit flaky cuz off the stuff I have to do >.<

How's it going with you?
    Okay, I guess. I got my bachelor's degree a few months ago, and I also found some pretty okay tabletop gaming groups among my old school friends. That part's good. Now I just have to deal with spending my gap year productively while battling severe anxiety. Yay.
    naney said:

i have a job

im currently pondering quitting tomorrow, as i have the money i need and lol fuck working with raw chicken seriously

...haven't you only been at this job, like, two days
  • edited 2014-08-12 23:39:44

JZ has a job

JZ 

has

a

jorb
    I have two now. TWO. That 2 times 1.

Imi: Blah. YEah, my crap boss tends to chew me (and other people) out for stupid ass reasons. I sympathize.

Gator: Yay, degrees! Boo anxiety. That's a major reason why I had such a bad semester in the spring. And the doctors were awful giving me the medication I needed for my panic attacks. Cuz lol party school, obviously I am going to abuse my as needed medicine like every frat ass-hat.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM.
  • kill living beings
    nothing like the feeling of getting some source up to the point where the hundreds of returned errors are expected ones

yessirree, i'm a programmer
    ...hundreds of errors?
  • that's what programming is, right?  getting the number of errors that will accidentally launch nukes down to two, three at most?
  • kill living beings
    well, i'm not counting
    /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.1/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
    (.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `intern':
    lisp.c:(.text+0xa3): undefined reference to `make_symbol'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `list':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x289): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x302): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `blank_list':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x383): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `standard_fexpr_combine':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x879): undefined reference to `make_smallenv'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `standard_applicative_combine':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x9ea): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xa79): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `populate_ground':
    lisp.c:(.text+0xf55): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xf5d): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xf89): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xf91): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xfbd): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xfc5): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xff1): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0xff9): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1025): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1051): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1059): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1085): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x108d): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x10b9): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x10e5): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1111): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1119): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1145): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x114d): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1179): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1181): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `populate_evals':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x11af): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x11d0): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `populate_combines':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x11f2): undefined reference to `standard_fsubr_combine_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x11f7): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1213): undefined reference to `standard_fexpr_combine_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1218): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1234): undefined reference to `standard_applicative_combine_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1239): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `populate_lookups':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x125b): undefined reference to `standard_nenv_lookup_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1260): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x127c): undefined reference to `standard_smallenv_lookup_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1281): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `populate_defines':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x12a3): undefined reference to `standard_nenv_define_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x12a8): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x12c4): undefined reference to `standard_smallenv_define_fsubr'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x12c9): undefined reference to `make_fsubr'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `initialize_globals':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x12f5): undefined reference to `make_nenv'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x130b): undefined reference to `make_nenv'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1321): undefined reference to `make_vector'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1332): undefined reference to `make_vector'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1348): undefined reference to `make_vector'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x135e): undefined reference to `make_vector'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1374): undefined reference to `make_vector'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x138a): undefined reference to `make_singleton'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x139b): undefined reference to `make_singleton'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x13ac): undefined reference to `make_singleton'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x13bd): undefined reference to `make_singleton'
    lisp.c:(.text+0x13ce): undefined reference to `make_singleton'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `cons_fsubr':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x172d): undefined reference to `make_pair'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `fexpr_fsubr':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x1c82): undefined reference to `make_fexpr'
    /tmp/ccT6xs7l.o: In function `wrap_fsubr':
    lisp.c:(.text+0x21e6): undefined reference to `make_applicative'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    got a lotta undefined references there
  • edited 2014-08-13 00:14:05
    kill living beings
    exactly! i finished fixing up all the type crap. wasn't getting near as far as linking. the world is my oyster.
  • kill living beings
    come to
    Gute nacht, everybody.
    good night sredni
  • In the part of Atlanta where I currently live, I can walk to a MARTA station, abandoned industrial buildings reworked into low-cost housing, a small community market, and a few run-down shopping districts. That's about it as far as reasonable walking distance goes.

It is perfectly possible, but that would mean spending $5 for transportation. So I'd have to consider it carefully.

It would also mean surviving Five Points Station, which is often a frustrating experience.
    I usually get off at Peachtree Center and just walk above ground the rest of the way to where I need to go, unless I absolutely have to connect through Five Points.
  • David Tibet + Thomas Ligotti + Christoph Heemann = something truly amazing.

Indeed. Also, you mentioning Christoph Heemann reminded me of Mirror and specifically how hard it is to find their music.
    It is, but downloading and YouTube are your friends here.
    You know, I've looked for download links in the past, but I was only ever able to find unrelated bands, but I was only searching by the band name. Maybe I should look for stuff album by album.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Guess who's out of the hospital?

Also, I have to say that I went into TMNT fully knowing that it was going to be bad, but I thought I could have fun anyway.

But I didn't have fun. I had anti-fun. I didn't regret going out because of who I was with, but I regret making that person go to see that movie and paying for that ticket.

It's like, Transformers? Transformers is always shit. But I can still think it's worth the ticket price if billion dollar robots punch each other real good. 
  • Guess who's out of the hospital?

Also, I have to say that I went into TMNT fully knowing that it was going to be bad, but I thought I could have fun anyway.

But I didn't have fun. I had anti-fun. I didn't regret going out because of who I was with, but I regret making that person go to see that movie and paying for that ticket.

It's like, Transformers? Transformers is always shit. But I can still think it's worth the ticket price if billion dollar robots punch each other real good. 
    So how do you really feel about it?
    I don't know why people like Bayformers. Those billion-dollar robots are some of the ugliest VFX ever produced via computer.
  • Micheal Bay and Drift are tied for the worst things to ever happen to the Transformers franchise.
  • Micheal Bay and Drift are tied for the worst things to ever happen to the Transformers franchise.

How do you feel about a Fast and the Furious / Transformers crossover? 
  • I liked the first Bayformers, and the third was okay, but the second one is one of the few films I can say I outright hated.

Also, apparently Frozen is pay TV fare now. Starz for ya.
  • The first one at least tried.

The second one didn't try at all.

I never saw the third, but the fact that Sentinel Prime was in it kind of made me irrationally angry.
  • edited 2014-08-13 06:51:44
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Mo: Oh, sorry. I don't mean that Transformers the franchise is always shit - I mean I have a dedicated thread to a Transformers comic after all, not to mention I've left Windblade as my icon picture for a while - but that those movies are always shit. 

Counterclock: I feel like nothing works. The CGI is a bad joke, the story is a bad joke, the action is a bad joke, the villains are a bad joke, the characters are bad jokes, the art design is a bad joke, even the jokes are bad jokes. Only three things got good, genuine laughs from me and one of them was because I thought someone was saying "Sex Robotics" and "Sex Biochemistry."

Like for serious, people go to Ninja Turtles to see the Turtles fight ninjas, right? But there are no ninjas. The Foot Clan are Call of Duty villains, and the Turtles are bulletproof, so whatever edge the Foot Clan had as ninjas in all their previous incarnations, they didn't have it now.

It is seriously the Poochiest movie I've ever seen.
  • The fact that they got Leonard Nimoy helped a bit. Not much, but a bit.

Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a new take on the franchise if it were done in a way that reflected the lore and whatnot in a less vapid way. Of course, I doubt Paramount would agree, but eh.
    Starz!