Guess which songs I know from these musicians

124»

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Dobie Gray one is "Drift Away" but I've been reluctant to mention it because I despise that song
  • edited 2017-02-27 19:13:00

The Dobie Gray one is "Drift Away" but I've been reluctant to mention it because I despise that song

I'm okay with that song but there are some others on here that I despise (e.g. Bring Me To Life).

Also, for everyone else: Hints on bottom of previous page.  Sorry they got pagebottom'd.
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-02-27 20:25:52

Also, adding Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna.

Baby, this is what you came for
    Lightning strikes every time she moves
    And everybody's watching her
    But she's lookin at
    u
  • edited 2017-02-27 22:17:14
    Tre said:

Also, adding Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna.

Baby, this is what you came for
    Lightning strikes every time she moves
    And everybody's watching her
    But she's lookin at
    u
    yep

#thingsiheardinrandomplaces

(supermarket, for this one.  presumably just a radio broadcast.)
  • Jay-Z and The Underground Kingz only have one song together, so it's "Big Pimpin"

Also I'm pretty sure the song it flips is actually Persian.
  • edited 2017-02-28 01:05:39
    Jane said:

Jay-Z and The Underground Kingz only have one song together, so it's "Big Pimpin"

Also I'm pretty sure the song it flips is actually Persian.
    Yep.

Wikipedia says it's Egyptian -- or rather, it says there was a legal controversy over an Egyptian song, so I assumed it was Egyptian.

It's the melodic riff, right?  For years I knew this song as "that Egyptian-sounding rap song" because of that riff.  It sounded awfully stereotypey of me to say that so I didn't like using that description though.
  • yeah it jacks pretty much the entire melody from "Khusara Khusara" by Hossam Ramzy.

Of course, Jay-Z didn't know that. As the song was produced by Known Douchebag Timbaland.
  • Jane said:

yeah it jacks pretty much the entire melody from "Khusara Khusara" by Hossam Ramzy.

Of course, Jay-Z didn't know that. As the song was produced by Known Douchebag Timbaland.
    I know Timbaland from...actually, another song on the list that hasn't been guessed yet (One Republic ft. Timbaland), but I didn't know that Timbaland was Known Douchebag Timbaland.  Heh.

Thanks for introducing me to Hossan Ramzy by the way.
  • edited 2017-05-14 00:22:32
    Been a while, so I figured I might as well put some closure on this thread.

Alice Deejay - Well, I should honestly simply have written DJ Jurgen, or Jürgen Rijkers.  His song is "Better Off Alone".

Ashley Gearing - This refers to a song she covered -- I didn't know it was a cover, sorry.  It's "If You Can Dream", from the Disney Princess franchise.  It was written by Robbie Buchanan and originally sung by several people who were portraying Disney Princess characters.

Avenged Sevenfold - We can't turn back now; this is "Bat Country".

Black Eyed Peas - a collab with Justin Timberlake: "Where is the Love".

Bobby Pickett - it was a graveyard smash, 'cause it's the "Monster Mash".

Bon Jovi - the other song is "It's My Life".  This song name is shared with a song by Talk Talk.

Cutting Crew - Oh..."I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight".  This is one of an informal album of rock and metal songs compiled by some chemical engineering students for listening to while in the lab, an album they called "The Best of 10.28, LIVE".  The songs were at one point posted online (but eventually taken down of course).  There are 10 or 11 in total and something I'd like to do is to try to find out exactly which songs were on there.

Cynthia Harrell - She seems to be known for pretty much two songs, though I wasn't aware of one of them.  She sang the ending theme of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night -- "I am the Wind".  The other song I knew is the B-side to this song's single release, "Forever Yours Tonight".  She also sang "Snake Eater" for Metal Gear Solid 3, which I'm unfamiliar with.

Diane Warren and Monica - "For You I Will", popularized by the movie Space Jam.

Elton John - a song made famous by his performance on the special occasion of Princess Diana's death, "Candle in the Wind".

Eminem - "The Way I Am", which has a very memorable accompanying riff, and "Without Me", which I first ran into in a parodical ragtime form on ytmnd years ago.

Foreigner - "Cold as Ice".  Another song in "The Best of 10.28, LIVE".

Gloria Gaynor - "I Will Surive".  Anyone else remember the dancing alien animation?

Groove Coverage - a German dance band that I know through their cover of "Moonlight Shadow" and (for the purpose of its listing here) their original song "God is a Girl", which I found through Kiddy Grade AMVs on YouTube.

Hard 'n Phirm - they're best known for the "Pi" song, I think.

Hilary Duff - a song by Dean Pitchford and Matthew Wilder, featured in The Lizzle McGuire Movie's soundtrack -- "What Dreams Are Made Of", also known as "Hey Now!".  I remember running into a video about Olympic diver Laura Wilkinson using this music.

Innosense - Not really sure they're all that well known, but they _did_ sing "To Know the Unknown" for the third Pokémon movie.

Kelly Clarkson - I don't remember at all how I found this, but it might just have been something played on the radio.  It's "Behind These Hazel Eyes".

Ke$ha - "TiK ToK".  I don't remember how I came to know it.

King Harvest - their most famous song, "Dancing in the Moonlight".  I might have heard it multiple times over the years, but the one time I finally seized on enough lyrics to be able to identify it later was in a furniture store.  Talk about random encounters.

Leon Lai, a.k.a. Lai Ming - a Hong Kong pop star.  A family friend has her niece bring to me a book of piano transcriptions of Hong Kong pop songs, and found one that sounded particularly nice in my opinion.  I played the transcription, forgot the name, but remembered two bits of the song, enough to identify it, but I had no way of searching by music.  Meantime, though, I liked one of those snippets so much I wrote my own song using it.  Several years later, I finally asked some university students from Hong Kong and they finally picked it out for me -- it's "Summer Love" or "Summer of Love", a.k.a. "夏日傾情".

Limahl - "The NeverEnding Story".

Liz Phair - "Why Can't I".  I think I first heard it on the radio.

Maggie Reilly - it's one of her Mike Oldfield songs, specifically "Moonlight Shadow".  I originally knew of that song as a dance-pop thing (through Missing Heart's cover in Dance Dance Revolution 5thMix) and only later did I learn that it was originally just pop rock.

Maroon 5 - "This Love".  From a friend in college listening to it.

Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky - "Maniac".  Strangely, from this one flash video called "Pixels on the Brain" which has Earthworm Jim attempting to sing it and getting a bucket of water dumped on him as a result.

Michelle Branch - not sure how I found this (might have been some random YouTube video) but it's "Breathe".

OneRepublic ft. Timbaland - "Apologize", which was sort of a big thing some years ago.

Piero Umiliani - the name is odd, but this nonsensical song should be known through the Muppets -- it's "Mah-na Mah-na".

Richard Marx - "Right Here Waiting".

Ricky Martin - "Livin' la Vida Loca".

Sarah McLachlan - "Angel".

Selah - a Christian pop group.  The one song I know from them is "You Are My Hiding Place", which I know because I was in a church building once, for some odd occasion (not just a regular church service), and I ran into someone playing a rather nice piece on the piano.  All I knew was two phrases of its melody, and the fact that it was accompanied by the circle of fifths progression, in a minor key.  Didn't even know it was a Christian piece.  I tried asking around and to my surprise the main theme of The Phantom of the Opera is very similar, so I now had something I could show people but I also had to stress it's _not_ that and actually goes through the whole circle progression.  I forget how I finally discovered the song I was looking for.  But you can listen to it on YouTube.

Shania Twain - this originally was just one song, "You're Still The One", but then I later realized I could also pick out at least part of "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!".

Sheryl Crow - I added a second song once I realized I could also pick out at least part of "The First Cut is the Deepest".

The Fray - "How to Save a Life".

The Weather Girls - "It's Raining Men".  Incidentally, my first exposure this song is ALSO that "Pixels on the Brain" video.

Tracy Byrd - "I'm From The Country".  This song is rather conspicuously so country that it literally says it's country.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - someone showed me "Wish Liszt" one time, and the other song is one of the more famous ones that people keep synching their Christmas lights to -- "Wizards in Winter".

Vitamin C's other song is, like Innosense's song, a Pokémon song - "Vacation", that went with Pikachu's Vacation.

Weezer - "Island in the Sun".  Not one but TWO dorms at my school used this song in their videos introducing them to incoming freshmen, the year I began college.  The main motif of this song later inspired a piece of mine.

Whitney Houston - "All At Once" is the less famous song, and is something that someone suggested to me when I was looking for Leon Lai's "Summer of Love".  (Listen to both songs and you'll hear that they share the same key and also (sorta) two different motifs.  "mi re mi" shows up at the beginning of both songs, and "mi fa re do re?" shows up in the middle of this song's verse, but the start of the refrain of Lai's song.)

Yiruma - "River Flows In You" is a piano instrumental that made the rounds some years ago.

BTW, the New Order song - "Sub-Culture" -- also shares the second refrain ("mi fa re do re"), and was another song that I came to know while asking people on LiveJournal to help me identify that song.  (It didn't work; asking primarily-English-speakers for Chinese songs is not really that helpful.)

also I forgot to list The Charlie Daniels Band, for which I know exactly one song ("The Devil Went Down to Georgia"), but I also hear that Daniels is a bit weirdly political so oh well.
    "First Cut is the Deepest" is a Cat Stevens song, though
  • "First Cut is the Deepest" is a Cat Stevens song, though

oops, my bad
    this is unforgivable