Guess which songs I know from these musicians

edited 2017-05-14 00:23:06 in Roleplay & Games
For each of these artists, I pretty much know only one of their songs.  Two, if indicated.  Bonus points if you can name one that I recognize but actually didn't think of originally.  (Thread inspired by a few posts in another thread.)

I'll update this list as people guess them.

edit: ANSWERS ON PAGE 4: https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/945047/#Comment_945047

a-ha - Take On Me
Alice Deejay
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Ashley Gearing
ATC (a.k.a. A Touch of Class) - Around the World
Avenged Sevenfold
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth
Billy Joel (2 songs) -Piano Man, We Didn't Start The Fire
Black Eyed Peas
Blue Öyster Cult (2 songs) - Don't Fear the Reaper; Burnin' for You
Bobby Pickett
Bon Jovi (2 songs) - Livin' on a Prayer, ?????
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna - This Is What You Came For
Ciara - Like a Boy
Coldplay - Clocks
Coolio ft. L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise
Cutting Crew
Cyndi Lauper (2 songs) - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Time After Time
Cynthia Harrell (2 songs; if you can get one song you can get the other)

Daniel Powter - Bad Day
Des'ree - You Gotta Be
Diane Warren and Monica
Dobie Gray - Drift Away
DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames
Eagles - Hotel California
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Elton John
Eminem (2 songs)
Eurhythmics - Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This
Europe - The Final Countdown
Evanescence (2 songs) - My Immortal, Bring Me To Life
Foreigner
Fort Minor ft. Styles of Beyond - Remember the Name
Gloria Gaynor
Groove Coverage
Gwen Stefani (ft. Akon) - The Sweet Escape
Hard 'n Phirm
Herman's Hermits - I'm Henry The Eighth I Am
Hilary Duff
Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek
Innosense
INOJ - Time After Time (cover of Cyndi Lauper song)
Jay-Z ft. UGK - Big Pimpin'
Jonathan Coulton (2 songs) - Code Monkey, Still Alive
Kelly Clarkson
Ke$ha
King Harvest
KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See; Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Leon Lai
Limahl
Liz Phair
Maggie Reilly
Maroon 5
Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky
Michelle Branch

New Order - Sub-Culture
One Republic ft. Timbaland
O-Zone - Dragostea din Tei (and New Numa)
Piero Umiliani
Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
Richard Marx
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, Together Forever
Ricky Martin
Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody (technically a cover)
R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly
Sarah McLachlan

Seal - Kiss from a Rose
Selah
Shania Twain (2 songs)
Sheryl Crow (2 songs) -
All I Wanna Do, ?????
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
Styx (2 songs) - Mr. Roboto, Come Sail Away
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Talk Talk - It's My Life
Tay Zonday - Chocolate Rain
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
The Fray
The Rolling Stones (3 songs) - Start Me Up; Paint It Black; Get Off of My Cloud
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
The Weather Girls
They Might Be Giants (2 songs) - Particle Man, Istanbul
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
TLC - Waterfalls
Tracy Byrd
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (2 songs)
Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
Vanessa Williams
Vitamin C (2 songs) -
Graduation, ?????
Weezer
Whitney Houston (2 songs) -
I Will Always Love You, ?????
Within Temptation - Aquarius
Yiruma

Yoko Kanno (2 songs) - Tank!, The Real Folk Blues

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

in which case you should listen to their other ones, dammit
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

in which case you should listen to their other ones, dammit

I actually know two songs of theirs, and I forgot to mark that properly.

Don't Fear the Reapers is actually the second one I came to know.
    Godzilla, then
  • Godzilla, then

Nope.

You might have trouble guessing it unless I give you a hint: someone sent it to the dorm after a fire alarm.
    Burnin' For You?
  • Burnin' For You?

Yep
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "The Sun Always Shines On TV".

"Take On Me" is too obvious there.
  • "The Sun Always Shines On TV".

"Take On Me" is too obvious there.

It's the latter.  A lot of them are probably the relatively obvious ones, to be honest.
    PLEBEIAN SCUM. HOW DARE YOU.

(I kid. I know very few a-ha songs myself.)
  • Ciara's got to be one of these:
    • Goodies
    • 1, 2 Step
    • Get Up
    • Body Party
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yoko Kanno - Inner Universe
  • edited 2017-02-13 21:42:14
    Tre said:

Ciara's got to be one of these:

• Goodies
    • 1, 2 Step
    • Get Up
    • Body Party
    None of these.  I dunno how famous the one I know is, because I know nearly nothing about Ciara.  It IS mentioned on her Wikipedia page though, alongside two of these.

Yoko Kanno - Inner Universe

Of all the anime composers and J-pop artists I could think of I decided not to include them because they're not really known amongst western audiences the same way as most of these others listed here.  Kanno is the only one I've included...but, I'll be honest, it's an even more obviously well-known song of hers.
    "Tank!" or ''The Real Folk Blues".
  • edited 2017-02-13 21:45:41

"Tank!" or ''The Real Folk Blues".

I forgot that I also knew The Real Folk Blues by her, so you get bonus points on top of a successful guess. :)

Incidentally, @Section42L, the name "Inner Universe" sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't bring up the music in my head to go with it, that's why I'm not counting it.
    In terms of Kanno compositions, you would probably appreciate the opening theme to RahXephon.
    The Rolling Stones song is probably either Sympathy for the Devil or Gimme Shelter.
  • The Rolling Stones song is probably either Sympathy for the Devil or Gimme Shelter.

Nope.

In terms of Kanno compositions, you would probably appreciate the opening theme to RahXephon.

I'll check it out later; thanks!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Rolling Stones is gonna be "You Can't Always Get What You Want", since it showed up in a lot of advertisements in the 2000s.
  • edited 2017-02-13 21:59:57

Rolling Stones is gonna be "You Can't Always Get What You Want", since it showed up in a lot of advertisements in the 2000s.

I might have heard this before without knowing it, but it's not one whose music I can bring up in my head.

The song I'm thinking of is older.
    Satisfaction, then.

I don't know why I overthought it.
  • edited 2017-02-13 22:05:20

Satisfaction, then.

I don't know why I overthought it.

That neither, but you're closer.

I do recognize the title you mentioned though and it might be a song I recognize that I just don't have a name for in my head yet.
  • edited 2017-02-13 22:05:16
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Start Me Up"??
  • edited 2017-02-13 22:07:32

"Start Me Up"??

Not this one, but you get bonus points for revealing to/reminding me that Bob Rivers's "Windows 95 Sucks" is a parody of this song, and thus identifying the song for me.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Microsoft used "Start Me Up" in Windows 95 commercials, that'll be why.

They thought they were being clever because it was the introduction of the "Start" menu.
  • The Rolling Stones song is

A few other hints:

The Aqua song is...infamous.

The ATC song has been used in an ad by a major company.  GE I think?

The Bonnie Tyler song is something Centie really likes.

One of the Cynthia Harrell songs is from a famous videogame.

The INOJ song is a cover of the Cyndi Lauper song.

One of the Rick Astley songs shares its name with a Pokémon song.

One of the Vitamin C songs is a Pokémon song.

The Within Temptation song shares its name with a constellation.
    Does Aqua even have any other famous songs besides "Barbie Girl"?

The Bonnie Tyler song is "Total Eclipse of the Heart", which I kinda figured; it was either that or "Holding Out for a Hero"

Rick Astley would be "Together Forever", which I played for Anonus a few days ago
    Hey, Centie, you should listen to The Beta Band's song "The Hard One". It's a deconstruction of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" performed by the quirky Scottish band who wrote "Dry the Rain" a.k.a. That Song from That Scene in High Fidelity.
    Will do!
  • edited 2017-02-14 00:58:03

Does Aqua even have any other famous songs besides "Barbie Girl"?

The Bonnie Tyler song is "Total Eclipse of the Heart", which I kinda figured; it was either that or "Holding Out for a Hero"

Rick Astley would be "Together Forever", which I played for Anonus a few days ago
    All correct.

I'm going to force someone else to name the other Rick Astley song.

And you can probably apply the same reasoning for Aqua, to O-Zone.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Aqua, huh.
  • edited 2017-02-14 01:07:44
    dragonforce is presumably through fire and flames since it's their only song anyway in meme videos or whatever

also

I know you watched half an episode of rahxephon six years ago you can't hide from me
  • Bobby Pickett's song features him being nicknamed "Boris".

The Seal song has been used in a Batman movie I think.

The Dobie Gray song has been covered by The Doobie Brothers as well as Uncle Kracker.

Michelle Branch's and Kelly Clarkson's songs in this list may be difficult to guess since I just got them from random AMVs.  Same with Within Temptation's song, but I did give a hint earlier that it shares its name with a constellation.  I know the WT song doesn't have its own Wikipedia page.

The (unguessed) Rolling Stones song, however, does.  It's famous for using a particular instrument.

The Tracy Byrd song explicitly refers to the name of its genre.

Also added: Eurhythmics, Gwen Stefani, Maroon 5, and The Buggles.
  • edited 2017-02-14 01:10:52

dragonforce is presumably through fire and flames since it's their only song anyway in meme videos or whatever

also

I know you watched half an episode of rahxephon six years ago you can't hide from me
    Yeah, that's the one.  It's certainly famous on the internet.  As are the Tay Zonday and O-Zone songs of course.

And so is it you or @Noimporta or @Calica who wants me to watch that already?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Calica, presumably. Noimporta was the Legend of Galactic Heroes person, who was far more HEY WATCH THIS-y than Calica's ever been about anything save for Kamen Rider Gaim, and to a lesser extent Thunderbolt Fantasy, so.
  • And so is it you or @Noimporta or @Calica who wants me to watch that already?

all of the above but I think it was calica who got you to watch the half episode
  • chocolate rain

some stay dry while others feel the pain
    I want you to watch RahXephon because it's like Eva but much more "you," except in a way that also somehow aligns with my own tastes. Also you're a classical composition nerdboy so you'll love the soundtrack and the constant musical references.
    There used to be a greying tower alone on the sea~
  • Crystal said:

Calica, presumably. Noimporta was the Legend of Galactic Heroes person, who was far more HEY WATCH THIS-y than Calica's ever been about anything save for Kamen Rider Gaim, and to a lesser extent Thunderbolt Fantasy, so.

noimporta was the "watch rahxephon" guy before he was the "watch logh" guy, iirc

there was also sneebs who was the one who convinced me to watch it
    Tag yourself, I'm "'Watch RahXephon, fool' guy." Except I do that with a lot of anime.
  • Tre said:

chocolate rain

some stay dry while others feel the pain

Correct!

There used to be a greying tower alone on the sea~

Correct!

Crystal said:

noimporta was the "watch rahxephon" guy before he was the "watch logh" guy, iirc

there was also sneebs who was the one who convinced me to watch it
    For some reason I remember Noimporta for getting me to watch Stellvia (which I enjoyed) and Infinite Ryvius (which I still haven't finished).
  • Added Vanessa Carlton, about whose song I made a joke very recently.
    Steppenwolf is either "Born to Be Wild" or "Magic Carpet Ride"

I dunno what the Rolling Stones one is but I'll pretend it's "She's a Rainbow" because that one is great

New Order - I'll guess either "True Faith" or "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  • Born to be Wild.

The New Order one is probably obscure since someone introduced me to it on the basis of it having a certain melodic motif.  It's got a 10-letter title.

The New Order one is probably obscure since someone introduced me to it on the basis of it having a certain melodic motif.  It's got a 10-letter title.

Temptation. Procession. Shellshock
    "Blue Monday".
    or that one, which is not obscure at all
  • None of those.  I can just give the answer if you want, but if you don't, here's another hint: it appears on the album Low-Life.

Also just ran this list across some puzzle-solving friends of mine, who actually got me to realize I recognize a lot more music than my music folder suggests (which is how I wrote up this list in the first place).  So updated the list and added a bunch more, mostly easy ones, specifically the following:

Belinda Carlisle
    Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Bon Jovi (2 songs)
    Cyndi Lauper (2 songs)
    Daniel Powter
    Des'ree
    Elton John (2 songs)
    Eminem (2 songs)
    Gwen Stefani (ft. Akon)
    Imogen Heap
    Innosense
    Jonathan Coulton (2 songs)
    One Republic ft. Timbaland
    Shania Twain (2 songs)
    Survivor
    TLC

Removed Geri Halliwell, added The Weather Girls, because I had that one wrong the first time.  (Halliwell did a cover.)  Also, The Righteous Brothers' song is also a cover, technically, but also the most famous version.
    Bizarre Love Triangle?
    It's gotta be "Sub Culture".

Anyway I gotta guess Led Zeppelin: "Stairway to Heaven"? "Kashmir"? "Whole Lotta Love"? "Dazed and Confused"?