General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Because people have a preference for MGS3?
  • Well

Yes, obviously
  • edited 2016-10-31 07:58:49
    I mean I probably prefer it for admittedly small and shallow reasons. But hey, I'm a simple guy.
  • No, I don't think they're shallow

I'm legitimately curious because I've found myself frequently and immensely frustrated with the game whereas I was pretty roundly having a good time with 2
  • edited 2016-10-31 08:04:00
    I guess I think the whole Cold War 60s aesthetic and stuff clicks with me. Also I rather like a bit of the bosses.

Why are you frustrated with 3 if I may ask? Just curious.

I have no opinion on 2 since I never got pass the tanker.
  • I have a hard time explaining

But basically it introduces "realistic" mechanics in a distinctly disjointed and selective way and fails to correct the series's persistent problems with contextual commands firing off at the wrong times
  • I think I see what you're getting at.

I wasn't too bugged by it for the most part but I can see why other people are.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-11-01 04:41:37
    I'm playing Fire Emblem Fates, and fucking hell I just had two attempts in a row where I lost a unit to a 2% crit from the final enemy on the map.
  • I think one of the most annoyingly basal things in the world is when someone comments on a Youtube review of a new game and their comment can be boiled down to "This Game That You Think Is Pretty Good? Actually, It's Pretty Bad".
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Owlboy was released today! I'm going to buy it once I'm home, but I likely won't have time to play for a couple days. Tonight I have band from 5-9. `0`

I can't remember who first showed me Owlboy, but I think it was someone here. 
    This just in: Owlboy is even better than I thought it would be! Not only does it have absolutely *stunning* visuals, but also an amazing soundtrack and incredibly loveable characters. Buccanary is my favorite - she's a sassy shop owner who's only, uh, moderately abusive to her little helpers.

HIGHLY recommended to everyone here!
    It also has some fun collectathon elements, with a set number of coins to collect in each area. It sort of reminds me of Sonic a bit in that sense, though that's as far as the comparison goes there. 
  • Had another friend who alerted me to Owlboy.  What kind of game is it, anyway?
    2D shooty puzzle solver thing. Not a platformer, really, since you can fly and all, but it has a platformer kind of feel. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    A flyformer.
  • edited 2016-11-11 01:00:09
    My dreams exceed my real life
    So I played the two Rusty Lake games that are on Steam. They are both apparently part of a larger series called Cube Escape that mainly exists in the form of flash and iPhone games, but I don't know much about that.

Play-wise they're both first person adventure games with fixed perspectives that involve solving a lot of puzzles to get keys to do things. They both don't provide all that much exposition, with most of the story being told via environments, single lines of dialogue, and short letters.

Rusty Lake Hotel is about being a concierge at a classy hotel run by an owl-headed man named Mr. Owl who's invited several other similarly named animal-headed people to his hotel. Your job is to serve each guest and prepare the meal for the next day. Pretty soon it turns out that you're killing the guests and cooking them into the next meal but the perspective you have is so distant that it's hard to understand exactly why you're doing this or why Mr. Owl wants it done. It's like a dream in that you just kinda do things because it's the path of least resistance.

Rusty Lake Roots is one of those sprawling American tales of a family over the course of several generations. Every "level" is a little vignette about a moment in that family's life and you jump around chronologically and from branch to branch of the family tree. Here, I think the perspective really works because every level has a kind of American Gothic feel with unsmiling people in dated clothing looking directly at the camera. It's a bit easier to pick up on character motivations and reasons, though much is still left unsaid and must be inferred. The bad part is that some of the puzzles get kinda tedious and stretched given how many levels there are.

All said, I'd recommend them, especially as both can be purchased for a combined price of less than five dollars.
  • Oh God, the Rusty Lake games are migrating.  They're fucking weird.
  • Finished the last DLC of Hyrule Warriors.  Mixed-to-low feelings.  It's better than Grand Travels at least, insofar as the maps that had literally no rewards still served a purpose other than meaningless bloat.  The new characters are decent gameplay wise -- character-wise I still hate Ravio on principle and Yuga is basically Ghirahim minus anything resembling charisma.
  • Apparently Black Friday deals were just announced by various retailers.

I don't see a Wii U with Splatoon bundle.

I kinda regret not getting it last year.

Then again, $250.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I really wanna play Tyranny but

A: I do not have the money

B: We're at the point where even isometric RPGs of this generation might be too much for my computer
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-11-15 23:27:44
    A lot of that has to do with people being lazy as shit with optimizing.

"fuck caching anything everyone's got a quad-core anyway"

"light maps?  lol fuck your gpu"
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Well fuck them
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this is why you only play
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-11-19 00:28:27
    So I wanted to break out Final Fantasy V, but it looks like my GBA cart (which was already used) is finally crapping out.

Is the Steam version decent?  I know it has the mobile graphics, and they're a bit cringeworthy but really not a dealbreaker for me (at least less so than piracy).  I'm more concerned about shit-tastic optimization making it unplayable.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I have to wonder how much trouble my Mac mini will have with modern games, seeing as the Iris graphics actually seem to be a tad faster than the discrete graphics card in my gaming lappy (which is nearly 5 years old, mind).
  • Finished Chapter 6 of Trails SC.  Hooooooly shit the feels.  Also hooooooly shit Erebonia DDDDD:
  • I really like the in-universe justification for why Joshua isn't as ludicrously powerful as the other Enforcers.  As an assassin he's not suited to direct combat at all.  The entire series so far has been the exact opposite of what he's specialized to do.
  • I wonder whether I should direct the charitable portion of my Humble Store purchases to 350.org or the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
  • Does anyone have opinions on the PC version of Temple of Elemental Evil?
  • I just got to the final chapter of Trails SC.  Hoooooly shit.

The penultimate stretch was kind of obnoxious -- a certain plot twist is a lot more compelling as a plot twist than as a combat mechanic.  But the way it leads into the final dungeon...

Hoooooly shit.

Anyone who has not played this series really needs to.
  • No thanks. I'm good.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The new 24 man raid in FFXIV is going to be Ivalice. There is no overstating how confused I am right now.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    is Final Fantasy XV worth the purchase? i have limited funds and Overwatch + a year of PS Plus is gonna put me out a lot
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I like it. It's kinda janky in places, but it's a good game.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested in the Project Diva series and has a PS4: Project Diva Future Tone is out on January 10th and contains 224 songs (almost every song in the series + the Project Mirai subseries), for 54 Ameribucks/Eurobucks.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Aww man Frog Fractions 2 is some great shit right here

I never knew I wanted to play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego except set in Dante's Inferno, but damn this is good shit
  • edited 2016-12-28 22:34:26
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    imageimage
  • 'why does the "true end" of a VN with multiple endings have to be the only happy ending, and why do they have to be obscure to get? why not just have them as the one ending?'

... I feel intellectually insulted and I'm unable to put it in exact words atm
  • That seems an odd thing to feel insulted over.
  • edited 2016-12-28 09:21:45

the original subject was about OP lamenting about how most of the smallish cult queer games would've been more popular if they weren't sombre in tone, and expressing they want more explicitly positive queer games

I don't necessarily feel that sombre stories are that less accessible than happier stories, but fine, wanting more positive stuff is perfectly understandable

and then it was followed by the quote above, and it was said as if it was 'messed up' or even 'deceitful' of the game designer to make the player figure out how to achieve the happy ending?

if thou wantest straightforward fluff then that's well and good, I like a lot of things that could be considered that, but making it seem like it's bad for a bleak/darker-toned game to have a hidden happy end because it doesn't provide immediate catharsis is, I don't know, kinda missing the point in some way
  • Finished Trails Second Chapter.  Absolutely beautiful.
  • oh whoops, wrong thing that was on the clipboard

• fight. dream. horse. love.
    so if anybody plays Overwatch on PS4, PM me if you wanna add me (the account I use is my brother's name, so I odn't wanna put it on the plain Internet)
  • edited 2016-12-30 07:58:14
    kill living beings
    portal stories: mel is fun, and the puzzles are solid/hard (i had to use a walkthrough to finish the last bit of one puzzle, betrayed myself). but the writing* is dull and more importantly has this weird problem where the dialogue is addressed to the player, rather than to the player character

the player character is an olympic runner from the old aperture era. i forget the date, which i think is given specifically, but she's repeatedly mentioned to have participated in the nuremberg (1936) olympics, so it's 1950something, and then shenanigans happen and she ends up in the nonspecific future of Portal 2. but then the other character, the AI that talks, just kind of barrels ahead assuming she's played Portal. you need to "fling". someone killed "her" (glados). I'm an "AI core". i just imagine miss 1950s at the end, as AIman explains whatever dramatic thing, and she's just thinking like, wait, that eye thing isn't a fancy phone, that's actually you? you're some kind of robot person?

*yes i know nobody's playing a portal mod for the plot
    Jane said:

oh whoops, wrong thing that was on the clipboard

you uh, bought the wrong game

halfway at least, it still has puzls
  • I knew that it had a strong philosophical element going in but I'm disappointed in how obvious and heavy-handed it is. You have to take a personality test, and the computer (not ELohim, the text-based one) berates you for contradicting yourself.

It's kind of the same problem I have with a lot of these sorts of games. They don't think they're smarter than me, but they think they're smarter than they actually are.

Maybe that'll change. I'm only halfway-ish done with the first compound ("Building A") and I suspect there's actually more to do when I'm done with all four compounds. I'm sure that extremely transparent foreshadowing about "the tower" goes somewhere eventually.