In Memorium

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've learned my lesson and moved on. The end
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Blah.
  • Also, how was Blixty banned?

Got fed up with the bullshit and started ranting. It was half-intentional, half-not. Turned out to be a good thing anyway, I needed to not go there anymore.

• Trolling Fetishes never gets old, really. 
  • edited 2012-04-26 22:44:55
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How about we not do the "lol, Tvtropes" thing again, please.

And I somehow don't think this is a good place to plan trolling. Just a thought.

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    No plans are being made, calm yo tits.
  • edited 2012-04-26 22:46:19
  • Don't be absurd. I don't have tits.

Why would I plan a troll, in a place, *where everyone can see it!!!*

It would hardly be the first time that's been done.

Anyway, 

How about we not do the "lol, Tvtropes" thing again, please.

was the main thing here.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    GOD DAMMIT TRE WON THE LAST POST WINS THREAD!

I WAS SO CLOSE!
    Fetishes used to be fun. At some point that stopped.

And that's all I'm gonna say. I have no desire to intentionally troll anyone.
  • Sorry, never intended on starting something, just pointing out that it's a common place for people to troll. 
  • Imipolex is still a man of high class, and nothing but my full respect is given to him.
    Thank you, Clocky. Unless that's sarcasm...
  • 16 new posts.

I see four, Heapers' Hangout. I call shenanigans.

Sorry, never intended on starting something, just pointing out that it's a common place for people to troll.

That unfortunately, is true.

• It's not sarcasm Imi,

you're still cuter than a puppy biting into a hand-basket as well ^_^
  • Not surprising either, considering the subject matter.

In fact, people like Lolacat were only regulars because they liked pissing the creepier members off.
    ^_^
  • I don't really think that describes fetishes very well.

It was a hotbed of TMI-ness, but the kind of thing you're describing, while it does happen on TVT, is more common to bigger sites like 4chan.

Also for the record, saying that people on the internet have small egos is a pretty hypocritical thing to do when you yourself are making fun of other people on the internet.

• So when did you get that cutie Demo Avatar Lazu? <3

I'm wondering because I had no idea it had continued in my absence.
  • edited 2012-04-26 23:06:50
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I also don't think that describes Fetishes very well. It may often have been kinda dumb and TMI-laden, but it wasn't about picking on people.

^Lazuli and I seem to have become raocowites in your absence.
  • edited 2012-04-26 23:06:48
  • edited 2012-04-26 23:07:28
    Well, I can't explain that, squid. Wasn't my experience.
  • ^^ But every. single. time. I went in there the same people would jump on me and tell me to go away. :<

That's unfortunate, but you must realize that that thread is quite old. I don't know what you said, nor what they said, so I can't comment, really.

If it has gone that way that's quite a shame, but really, I never had a problem with Fetishes. Yes some of the stuff posted there was incredibly gross and/or creepy. So are a lot of things, I recall the official position at the time was to not read the thread if you didn't like it.

That that has changed is one of the things that indicates about the point I sort of stopped liking the place. Though it took a long time to leave entirely. I've said this before, but the minute TVTropes stopped being enjoyable for me was when A) it became fashionable to loudly imply that you hated the site and were better than everyone on it, and B) we joined the internet's holy crusade against abnormality/creepiness/whatever in the fuck they're calling it these days. Nowadays I think I'd be genuinely ashamed to be a troper, because it's turned into just another generic site on the internet. Worse really, a wannabe generic site on the internet. I don't really blame anyone anymore (I tried to for a long time, anyone from specific users to goons to Eddie himself), I think it just kinda happened gradually.

There's nothing really wrong with generic sites on the internet, but for a long time we weren't one, and it does piss me off that we're trying to be now, I guess. That said, I hate when people try to act tough about not liking TVTropes. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but whenever I hear a comment to the effect of "TVTropes is shit, period" I get kind of offended, because it's usually from someone who was only there for a brief period of time or wasn't there at all. I just still feel like I'm being insulted in some way.

I dunno. I rambled for a lot longer than I meant to there, but that's how I feel about the subject. I was a Troper for about 2 1/2 years, and a lot changed in that time. I guess it just ended up changing too much for me, is the bottom line, and I am not entirely sure how I even got on this subject. So, to answer Clocky.

So when did you get that cutie Demo Avatar Lazu? <3

Ripped it from an ASMT fanart thread on Talkhaus, which I'm considering joining, ironically enough.

• edited 2012-04-26 23:22:50
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    "I guess it's not an especially effective method of "sticking it to the
    man" by simply disobeying accepted rules and getting ousted for it
    immediately.

You just kind of serve as an example, and don't do anything to really undermine the status quo."

That's because you need to do something legendary, like:

posting pictures of Fast Eddie in his
    undies while breaking every single rule, followed by posting in every
    single thread then switching my sigline to format-breaking code and
    screaming IT WAS TEH BUTHURT BAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Either that, or hack the site and replace everyone's avatar and username with your own. Or Spartacus.

• edited 2012-04-26 23:22:50
  • I didn't say you were. What bothers me is when you and a number of others casually flip it off every time it's mentioned even in passing. That is the only annoying thing to me, here.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Better to casually flip it off than persistently flip it off.
  • But it's also persistent cuz it keeps happening. [inb4 sweet bro and/or hella jeff meme]
  • edited 2012-04-26 23:29:02
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I haven't seen too much of it.

Then again, maybe that's just because I don't really care either way, not sure.

What you need to do is stop caring.
  • If any of you would like to continue this conversation we should probably do so privately. I would rather not flood the forum with this sort of thing.

if not, than that is fine too.

Then again, maybe that's just because I don't really care either way, not sure.

What you need to do is stop caring.

It is amazing to me, that in a long, what I thought was well-thought-out post where I deliberately avoided anything I thought was whiny, the response I am given is still "STOP WHINING. WHY U CARE SO MUCH".

I care cuz it's annoying. If it wasn't, I wouldn't say anything about it.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    If we're not going to stop addressing it, I felt TVT was on a decline for a while. It eventually stopped being a friendly place and was more of an indifferent place. Obviously, there where tropers who might care if you left if you had been around long enough to make friends, but they slowly became not the norm.
    TVT seemed very friendly and likeable when I first got there, but by the time I left almost everyone I liked had gone.

I'm not sure what caused this general trend.
  • ^^That is what I mean by a generic site.

What I mean by a wannabe generic site is that I feel that said attitude was enforced, rather than a natural development. I think some users thought we should be more like [whatever site(s) they were used to], so decided to treat TVT exactly like they'd treat those sites. People started following that example, and it became the norm over time.

I am not sure at what point that became the norm, but I think it did.

• edited 2012-04-26 23:35:57
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ^^I think things started to turn sour around the time Eddie looked the CWC page.

Not saying I disagree with what he did, just that this is where the trend started and somehow it never really let up. There are certainly other things besides this (which in retrospect, is probably pretty minor to some of the things that have happened) that probably helped the decline along more, but this felt like the starting point, looking back.
  • I remember that.

I think it was a sequence of events. Combined with outside pressures that had (often imaginary) influence, and in retrospect I suppose it was inevitable.

• Bullies indeed.

People gave them (and it was really only a small sliver of SA's userbase in the first place) far, far more credence than they should have. Yes, they made some good points. But some (including myself for a short period of time) had a problem with treating their word like some sort of holy decree.

That wasn't the first time we had that problem. Anyone remember the fiasco with our ED page? 

I'm sure it'll happen again. If tropers on the whole have any one problem, it's caring too much what people from other sites think, imo.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    One glimmer of hope in all of this is that one of the pages that made me buy into the site, the main Heartwarming Moments index, is still there. As is Gushing About Shows You Like. If those go, then I think we might be able to say TVT is destined for intractable blandness (and even then, I'd say that'd probably be overkill, because even Wikipedia is still interesting reading sometimes).

That said, it's not really the policy changes that have been irritating me lately, as it has the completely crazy reactions to them -- the mod sass, the cutlist abuse, the complete lack of any thought except "PANIC!" It's heartbreaking to watch, and is one of the reasons why I said the site should just shut down for a while -- let the people who know what they're doing fix things without interruptions or having to fend off angry users.
  • the complete lack of any thought except "PANIC!"

I think this is the core of the problem, right here. Once things are normalized again and 50% of the site discussions aren't about pedophilia, maybe, maybe I will go back. As it is now....place is crazy.

I just wish, in retrospect, that I wasn't such a fuckhead when I first joined. And for a good year or so afterward, I might add.

It just....beh. When I think of all the stupid shit that could've been avoided if I had just apologized to this person sooner, or not done that, or whatever, I just feel horrible about the whole thing. But that's my problem, I guess. 

I was also really unfair to a lot of people. Some moreso than others. 

I am depressing myself tonight. Wheee.