In Memorium

13»

Comments

• edited 2012-04-26 23:57:39
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I was there earlier today, and I witnessed a scuffle in "Absent people" (which has been a magnet for this sort of thing, for better or for worse) over the policy, even though it's pretty much been settled now. It's still a problem. 

I mean, sure, months from now, we may look back at all of this and laugh at what idiots we were being, but damn if it isn't difficult to deal with in the meantime. That said, worrying about what happened in the past is just as bad as watching the latest upsetting kerfuffle as it happens. I've done it a lot as a way of avoiding talking about problems I consider embarrassing, and at least one person has told me I should really stop doing that. So far, it's been working.
  • I keep my embarrassing problems to myself nowadays. I've learned pretty much no one cares about them but me and a couple people I can talk to individually.

• edited 2012-04-27 00:02:36
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, same here. After one or two people (who have since left TVT) yelled at me for creeping them out by proxy (!) in Insecurity last year, I just stopped bothering talking about every little bad day and panic attack I had there. I was sick of being told to leave the site by someone who was obviously terrified of me, despite never even talking to me much.
  • God forbid they just not read the thread. That'd require too much effort, am I right.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Indeed. I mean, apparently, me having qualms about liking someone and being afraid to talk to them is grounds for "concerned" PMs telling me why I don't belong on the site and how offensive and potentially dangerous I am. Gee, I've been seeing therapists since grade school, don't you think I know I have freakouts sometimes, Ms. Busybody? 

It bothered me enough that I got a mod involved. :P It also had a silver lining in that I did start talking to the person I liked (after years of false starts), and we're really good friends now.
  • edited 2012-04-27 00:11:32
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oh, I didn't put up with it, Squid. In fact, I did exactly the opposite of what they suggested, and I did fine.
  • But this is what I mean, at some point it became the norm for everyone to be concerned about everyone else's business. Doubly so now that it's official policy that you can't "support pedophilia" (I still have no idea what this would even entail. As I'm pretty sure no one has ever held up a protest sign with "I <3 Kiddy Fiddlers" on it.) or , what was the other one, "overly sexual content"? (I forget how it was phrased) at all, it gives people both a reason and an excuse to try to root out users they don't like.

It's a witch hunt, and like a witch hunt, you will probably not catch any actual witches. 

Yup, and I'm pretty sure the person in question was one of the people arguing on the side of political correctness. I seem to remember they were arguing with the mods about trigger warnings before they left.
  • I think I've expended my TVT-related rage bank for today.

I'm going to go rant about CISPA now.

Yeah, me too. I only talked about that incident because I'm still kind of surprised anyone cared enough about what I said in Insecurity to complain to me personally about it, even though it didn't concern them. But oh well, they're gone now and I figure I should worry about it too much.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, true. :) It still took some work, though, as one of the first things i did when I started talking to Ally again was try and flirt with her, and she wasn't happy about that. :P Still, things have gone really well since.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.