Anime

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I want to ramble because it's been one of the most entertaining shows this season, I am just bad with describing what in detail I dig about it, which is quite a bit.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Most of my older anime nerd friends adore it. I never got on the boat myself.
    I can get that.
    If this keeps up I won't be feeling a Sunshine deficiency for the rest of the season and onto the next.

Anyway I got the sudden urge to watch Planetarian again, I think I'll save that for later, when I'm feeling worse.
    On the subject of things we've watched, I have finished the first season of Higurashi and am now onto Kai, which thus far I am actually enjoying even more. Being the "answer" arcs to the first season's "questions," it feels like the part of the mystery when you're finding out just how the thief or murderer managed to do what they did, and maybe get a handle on why while you're at it, and being a big fan of knowing how the proverbial magic trick is done, I'm just loving it. My only concern is that there are twenty-four episodes of this, but all told... this should be pretty baller.
    I would like Oso-san a fair bit more more if I never had to see Iyami and Dayon ever again. Still, good fun.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You shouldn't look at prior incarnations of the franchise, then.

Iyami pretty much became the star of the franchise for a long time.
    Uuuuugh. Alright, noted.
    Dropped Alderamin although I enjoyed bits and parts. Reckon I'll check out the manga and LNs then form a fuller opinion, though I feel it will be lukewarm at best. Really want to like it, but I'll be content to enjoy people excitedly talking about it.

Another show I'm mixed on, Grimgar, is finally turning into something that feels notably less slow and interminable. The fifth episode still had some problems that irked me during the prior four that will likely continue, and had a bit near the end that I wasn't too fond of, but it's not enough of a deal-breaker after an episode that largely felt like it captured their struggles in a way that plays to what the show can do decently. It's something though, insofar as it was actually fun.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

IBO Season 2 PV2 (Warning, MAJOR S1 spoilers), and info pulled from the official site.

Hahahaha, professional garbage man McGillis is flying Carta's suit.
    Digging Kudelia's even more professional getup. Oh and also Professional Garbage gradually using his comrades in every possible way including gross stuff like that is cool I guess.
    It is Guitary Time.
    I think I'll return to Guitary Time after I've sated my need for idol anime (idolnime) enough. I mean, I think Tsukihi is in where I'd be returning to a fair bit?
    I am on Backpack Snail right now. It is out there.
    What do you think of Arararararararararararararagi?

Also you are formally required to speak your mind on Platinum-chan once you get to her arc. I love her but also hate how I struggle with words that describe why she's so Great to me, so that's nice.
  • edited 2016-09-07 04:02:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He's interesting. I've heard it observed that the fanservice-y bits all but disappear when the perspective switches away from him, and given the way that those moments are framed to begin with (and the fact that there are apparently actual non-cast human beings in those arcs, too), that makes sense. It's also a very, very Shinbo thing to do. The whole show is very Shinbo. It also has a lot of mostly still shots, which I actually didn't notice the first time I saw the first arc. The weirdest bits are fairly striking, in any case.

I really like Senjougahara, by the by.
    Yeah I really dig how it does that with the characters, and just the utter expressiveness of it all too. Algae is such a drama queen it's kind of hilarious.
    Also, weird detail, but I like how Senjougahara's voice actress perfectly pronounces "Parent-Teacher Association" when explaining Mayoi's threat.
  • kill living beings

It also has a lot of mostly still shots, which I actually didn't notice the first time I saw the first arc.

guitar is like 80% pictures of psychotic buildings and 10% algae getting his shit kicked in wonderful eich dee
    The other 10% being people walking and talking, sometimes through gorgeous psychedelic hellscapes like the scene with the spaghetti head collage in the first ep.
  • kill living beings
    i was thinking references to 60s shows and weird fanservice, but hey
    Forgot to say that Monogatari is definitely something I will be watching again eventually. It's my jam.

i was thinking references to 60s shows and weird fanservice, but hey

OK, true.

Realistically the percentage of building shots is probably significantly smaller but there really isn't all that much significant motion in the show save for walking and talking. Still fun, though.
  • actually it's spelled Arararararararararararararararararagi Oops I Stuttered.
  • edited 2016-09-07 05:12:09
    kill living beings
    i've gone through araragi -> araraetcgi -> allgi (cuz of oikura, i think) -> algae because nonsensical
    Algiers is a great guy either way.
    The opening to the Mayoi Snail arc is a psychotic delight. Just putting that out there.
    I actually hated - well no, not hated because it works, just was very put off by it - Kaerimichi until I loved it. Just like Hachikuji's design. She's also pretty great, and surprisingly charming.
    She's a weird, slightly frightening little girl. The opening reflects that well.
  • kill living beings
    kaerimichi crashed my netbook more than once
    Now I'm jamming out to my favorite track ever so far so that's n i c e.
    Forgot to say I dropped Orange. Shrug

I have not dropped Amaama to Inazuma though, which continues to be too gosh darn cute and fun.
    Aw man and I'm an episode behind on Food & Feels, at that. Man.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Does she wanna get bitten or...?
    She's making fish. Adorably.
  • edited 2016-09-08 16:48:40
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Did I ever tell you guys about that time I watched like all of Cross Ange in about 2, 3 hours?

Because that was an experience.
    No you did not.
    Truly the worst thing the sextuplets have ever done and ever will do, going back on their threat-promise.
    Okay maybe I'll check out Nyaruko-san eventually. Either way I love this gosh darn OP.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I forget the exact circumstance that I decided to download it, but I remember knowing absolutely nothing about it and downloading the entire series torrent.

As is my custom, whenever I start on a new series that I know absolutely nothing about, I tend to fast forward to random points from beginning to end to see what happens. And the very end of the episode shows the protagonist, Angelise, get horribly tortured, and the ending credits had a bunch of the female prisoners luxuriating in high-class rooms while fucking each other.

I continued watching from the beginning, hitting the arrow keys so I wouldn't spend more time than necessary. A few episodes I watched all of, and most I didn't. I was very surprised that the "You made a lot of people upset and uncomfortable, so we're executing you" meme came from this show.

And I don't know if it is because of me fast-forwarding until I saw something I liked, but like. I enjoyed myself. The show's enemies for most of the show, the dragons, have a very interesting society and those were the episodes I didn't skip.

But make no mistake; Cross Ange is a turd that is polished like gold, and it's the first thing I've ever seen that I just don't know what they're trying to do. It is exploitative and manipulative in every way that a female prison story, a giant robot war story, a sci-fi omnipotent godking story, and a bunch of other genres I can't put words to. There are reasons why the world is so sexed up. Awful, miserable shit will happen in the episodes and the characters who got it bad would then make fun of what happened in the next episode previews. I don't know anything about animation quality but I feel like they put a lot of work into it. The songs were great and I downloaded the OST.

Cross Ange is weird and I have no idea what level of irony it's on.
  • Serocco3 said:

One of these days, I want a Shonen battle anime with a female main character for once

How about Angelic Layer? At least to some extent.
  • Crystal said:

It's actually six million, geez.

And yeah, LL! and Precure and The Idol Master came to mind, among many other shows.
    The iDOLM@STER is more oriented toward male audiences.
    Crystal said:

Now I'm just thinking about Tower of God.

Now I'm thinking of Tower of Heaven.
    SF_Sorrow said:

Catan interested and confuddled me when I attempted to play it

Not that hard to learn TBH. Just need someone competent enough to explain it.
    Crystal said:
    It's certainly curious.

I remember seeing something about it but I don't remember if it was this and if it was you who showed it to me.

Also lol @ "Inori Minase". I misread that as (iM@S character) Iori Minase at first.

ugh why is the forum system acting up on me now i guess i need to make a new post
  • Crystal said:

Algiers is a great guy either way.

I hear he stars in Japanese car-Tunis.
    MachSpeed said:

Did I ever tell you guys about that time I watched like all of Cross Ange in about 2, 3 hours?

Because that was an experience.
    I have so far refused to watch that show because of its character designs, and I'm wondering if I should leave that reason in place or reconsider it.

I probably should leave the cork in place.
    I really don't think you'd like it, though I've been wrong before.

Also I wanted to checked it because of the designs, haha.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I find the designs not awful but not good either. Well, their faces. The clothes they wear can be pretty outrageous.

Except the dragon-people. Salamandinay is pretty cool.
  • I've never heard of Angelic Layer
    Serocco3 said:

I've never heard of Angelic Layer

It's one of CLAMP's series. If you like kid-friendly action shows with a sci-fi twist and some real pathos it might be up your alley.
    I am sold and I am hype, I say to the surprise of precisely no one.

Pretty sure I read Angelic Layer almost if not all of it when I was in high school or thereabouts. I enjoyed it.