General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2016-02-05 04:33:03
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Curious, have you played 999?

i found it kind of hard in places and am wondering how Myst compares.

Also, thanks, SF.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I haven't actually played anything Myst yet though it's on my list. Overall I wouldn't rank 999 as very hard, save for select instances where I just got too befuddled and the ending which was definitely super hard and complex, mhm, yes.
  • clarifying, I meant the Masterpiece Edition
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    playing a hack of A Link to the Past

it's very hacky

I'm all right with it though
  • Tachyon said:

Also, thanks, SF.

I have not

I am hoping Myr can help me out here since he's the person who recommended the game to me.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Puzzles i found hard in 999: the crate program in the cargo room (which i successfully solved), the electrodes in the torture chamber (which iirc i brute-forced) and the squares puzzle in the study (which i brute-forced).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

Also, thanks, SF.

I have not

I am hoping Myr can help me out here since he's the person who recommended the game to me.
    Did you find the FMV cutscenes?
    I feel I would need to replay a bit of the game to give better instructions, just so the memories come back.

I will do so later today.
  • Tachyon said:

Puzzles i found hard in 999: the crate program in the cargo room (which i successfully solved), the electrodes in the torture chamber (which iirc i brute-forced) and the squares puzzle in the study (which i brute-forced).

I brute forced the math puzzle in the very last room I remember, and I remember knowing conceptually how the electrodes would work but them never doing what I expected them too.
    yeah, that's about how it was for me, too

might try it again and see if i can do it properly
    (i'm assuming by "math puzzle in the last room" you mean the one in the study that i had trouble with, and not the sudoku in the incinerator)
  • You assume correctly
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

Also, thanks, SF.

I have not

I can also help with this, just so you know. I was very into these games when I was younger, although I have yet to finish the third one.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-05 14:52:50
    I loved Myst back in the day.  Practically defined the puzzle adventure.

Steam has the first sequel too (Riven).  It's even more trippy and abstract :D

Still looking for a copy of Exile.
  • Jane said:

Tachyon said:

Also, thanks, SF.

I have not

I found the man who talks to you via the fishbowl hidden near the dock
    Jane said:

Jane said:

Tachyon said:

Also, thanks, SF.

I have not

I found the man who talks to you via the fishbowl hidden near the dock
    What about the red book and the blue book in the study?
  • there were some books there and I read them

and there were two that apparently took you to different places but I didn't mess with that at all.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Oh God, that remix.
  • Kexruct said:

Xenoblade X has some of the most stupefyingly inefficient and just plain fuckin' boring ass writing I've ever seen a game have

It has left a bad taste in mouth which is a shame because the game needed a lot going for it in its (deliberately) slow opening

Seriously has anyone else here played this game and am I the only one who has this issue
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The good writers worked on the sidequests.
  • I can see that, the one where you're fixing the dude's car is hilarious

Are the Loyalty Missions Affinity Quests better? I have a hard time seeing Elma ever be not-boring.
    Okay partly from memories here's what you need to know getting started in RealMyst

* On the starting island, there are all kinds of markers with switches in front of notable objects like the observatory, or the sunken ship. You want to turn these to the on position.

*In the study, there are a bunch of books talking about various worlds. The information in these books will be useful when you go to these worlds.

*There are two paintings in the study that are important: one lets you rotate the main tower towards one of the markers you turned on. The other reveals a passageway to an elevator up the main tower which will give you the information you need to get into each age via the object the marker is next to. You can visit the worlds in any order, with the exception that it's good to save the space ship for last.

*There are two special books in the study. One contains a man named Sirrus, who wants red pages, and the other contains a man named Achenar, who wants blue pages. Each of the worlds will have a blue page and a red page, and Achenar and Sirrus will have more to tell you once you give them pages.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-06 00:25:50
    If you get completely stuck on a given puzzle, I can help as well.  I've played it recently enough to remember.

But you really should wander around and try to figure out what the hell is going on for yourself.  Solving the puzzle is maybe a quarter of the game.  Figuring out what the puzzle even is is the rest.

Keep paper notes and write down anything that looks/sounds relevant.  I'm so serious.
  • also I am playing Doom. I like it so far, much more straightforward than Marathon, though less mysterious.
    Bee said:

If you get completely stuck on a given puzzle, I can help as well.  I've played it recently enough to remember.

But you really should wander around and try to figure out what the hell is going on for yourself.  Solving the puzzle is maybe a quarter of the game.  Figuring out what the puzzle even is is the rest.

Keep paper notes and write down anything that looks/sounds relevant.  I'm so serious.
    I have a notebook for that sort of thing actually
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-06 00:52:53
    They were going to do a Real-Riven too, which would have been AMAZING.  But it never got past preliminary dev.

Like, they keep releasing updates, but it's been like seven years and they're almost done with one Age.  I mean the game is gorgeous and obsessively detailed but goddamn.
  • hasn't that been the slow death of the entire Myst franchise
  • Well yeah but Riven was probably the best one. :(
    Yes but Myst games are SJW walking simulators about solving family conflicts, so
  • that's a joke but I have seen people say that Myst is responsible for the death of adventure games (somehow).
  • also who gifted me Jet Set Radio

like, thank you, but idk how you knew I wanted it
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-06 01:14:37
    Insofar as it shows you can do environmental puzzles without needing to obsessively rub together every pair of items in your extensive inventory like some kind of weird breath-mints-on-rubber-chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle tribadism.

Yes but Myst games are SJW walking simulators about solving family conflicts, so

Oh God.  Please don't take actual lessons in solving family conflicts from Myst D:
    Also that you don't need gratuitous unfair deaths.

Or the ability to make things unwinnable by missing a minor detail early on.

Some early adventure games were REALLY BAD guys
  • Monkey Island was good about it at least.  There was only one way to die and it was itself a joke.
    Bee said:

Monkey Island was good about it at least.  There was only one way to die and it was itself a joke.

Well yeah because Ron Gilbert
  • I rescind my earlier comment because now I keep getting lost in Doom.

also those cute round demons haven't showed up yet. 
  • I don't actually remember if cacodemons show up before the very end of the first game.  It's been friggen years, and I was watching my dad play it (on a trackball, lol).
  • aw that's a shame, those things are adorable

wish I could find this yellow keycard though.
    I like that they're ripped off from a D&D monster's head 

tumblr_inline_nj9x6bg1VN1r0zz7o.jpg
  • They added boy inklings to the inkling creator thing.

• I found one of the round demons

can I get a game where I play as one of these? I like them.
    Were they the Cacodemons or Pain Elementals? They look similar, except Pain Elementals are way more annoying to fight.
    Oh Pain Elementals are just in Doom 2
    Cacodemons first appear in Episode 2 ("The Shores of Hell") of the first Doom

Pain Elementals are only in Doom 2.
  • so I go to open up Doom again to find all my save files missing and the controls reset to defaults.

coooooooooooooool.
    ...well, that's not something I've had happen.
  • it's ZDoom, an unofficial port that supports key rebinding and mouselook among other things. I uninstalled a different Doom port from my computer, so I'm wondering if that didn't take the save files with it somehow.

Very annoying. I already finished the first Act but I'd have to play through like half of the second again.
    I use GZDoom, myself.

Which I believe is an altered version of ZDoom? Adds a bunch of cool stuff, anyway.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, here's a question:

Why is a lack of values judgment better than the presence of a system that judges your values?

Why is it better for a game to not comment on your actions than for them to even say anything at all?
  • that is such an utterly vague question that it's borderline unanswerable