General Video Game Thread

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Acererak said:

Why would you compare your money to Jesus? Dude literally preached about how having lots of money is bad and stuff.

I have also been photographed more often than Jesus.

Come at me bro, you know I'm not wrong.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I kind of want to start doing the Isaac dailies.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-22 05:18:13
    Okay, the jumping in Gurumin is getting really obnoxious by Pimento Mountain.  It might be passable if the camera wasn't almost completely horizontal and up Parin's ass half the time, but as is I'm getting Rebel Strike flashbacks here.
  • The times when you can't turn the camera are irritating.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-22 18:20:59
    I can turn it just fine.  I usually have to spend several seconds turning it all kinds of different directions to estimate distance before I jump, and even then poor Parin gets a lava bath half the time because the camera's so low I can't see how close I am to the edge I'm jumping from.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I started playing Aurora 4X and by started I mean I stared at the interface and got frustrated because my laptop screen is too small to fit it all
  • I beat my previous Sims 3 binge of four hours by playing for six hours.
  • I regret nothing.
    Like a doofus, I forgot that I had already completed the Chest route, so I could actually only have one missing post-it note, but oh well. Just need Satan, The Lamb, and Mega Satan!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-23 04:52:22
    I'm so torn with Gurumin.  The camera and controls are like, epically, malignantly awful, but just about everything else about the game makes me want to like it so badly.

The music kicks so much ass.  Like, Falcom music has these phases and they never do them by halves.  Ys rocks the fuck out, Legend of Heroes is jazzy, and this is funk and ska so shameless and ill-fitting that it loops right back around into amazing.
  • Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are both under 3 dollars on steam

do I

or do I not
  • speaking of epically malignantly awful cameras
  • I actually already own SA1 on the 360 so I probably shouldn't buy it again, but....
    FOLLOW ME

SET ME FREE

TRUST ME AND WE WILL ESCAPE FROM THE CITY
  • I've actually never played the second Sonic Adventure game

is it any good? at all?
  • if they had Sonic Colors on here I'd buy that in a heartbeat cuz I actually quite like that game
  • if anyone has any suggestions for games on steam that are less than $3 and are actually alright, let me know
    Jane said:

I've actually never played the second Sonic Adventure game

is it any good? at all?

FOLLOW ME

SET ME FREE

Realtalk I've heard it hasn't aged well
    Jane said:

if anyone has any suggestions for games on steam that are less than $3 and are actually alright, let me know

They Breath

Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
  • the first one really hasn't either

so why do i want to buy it again
  • i mean like 

I have $3 on steam

and the two candidates for this money right now

are Sonic Adventure DX

and Brighter Day, which is a horror game about eyeballs that might not even work on my computer.
  • Jane said:

if anyone has any suggestions for games on steam that are less than $3 and are actually alright, let me know

They Breath
    mfw they breath
  • this doesn't look terribly interesting to me

thanks anyway though
    Dr. Langeskov is literally free
  • i own that already though i haven't played it yet
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-23 19:33:13
    SA2 was good.  Probably the best attempt they took at a 3D game till Generations.  Hasn't aged all that well, but for $3 I'd say get that one if you've never played it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    everyone complained about the camera in the 3D Sonic games but it rarely bothered me.  i think i got irritated with it like once, in all the time i was playing those games?

imo SA2 was a good game and has aged better than the first SA.  It also doesn't contain any boring fishing levels, which is a plus.

i mean if you've played any of the 3D Sonics you know what to expect on the bad side, cheesy dialogue, out-of-place edginess, blah.  But if that doesn't put you off it's a lot of fun.
  • Yeah, like, even if that stuff does put you off it'll probably still wind up being fun enough to be worth a price tag like that.  It was a legitimately good game.

So, I finally managed to complete a game of CK2 (and had a lot of fun in the process)! Remember the time Ireland unified into one kingdom and eventually formed the Irish empire containing the Kingdoms of Eire, Brittany, France, Aquitaine, Navarra, Aragon, Denmark, Galicia, Leon, Jerusalem (not pictured here) and Bhreatain Bheag? Neither do I, but it was sure as hell fun.
  • FOLLOW ME

SET ME FREE

• edited 2016-01-24 06:08:34
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    So having done "cowboy Jade Harley talks and sciences and occasionally shoots her way through the wastes, setting up the NCR to prosper while sowing dissent within Caesar's Legion" and "bloodthirsty paladin Rose Lalonde kills everyone in her way and sets up Vegas under her control", I'm not sure what to do next.

Probably "Rose Lalonde answers the call to the Divide, is ecstatic to discover she can nuke Caesar's Legion" since I only did the one DLC this time around.

I mean, I guess I could stop playing New Vegas, but that doesn't seem physically possible.
    Haven said:

So having done "cowboy Jade Harley talks and sciences and occasionally shoots her way through the wastes, setting up the NCR to prosper while sowing dissent within Caesar's Legion" and "bloodthirsty paladin Rose Lalonde kills everyone in her way and sets up Vegas under her control", I'm not sure what to do next.

Probably "Rose Lalonde answers the call to the Divide, is ecstatic to discover she can nuke Caesar's Legion" since I only did the one DLC this time around.

I mean, I guess I could stop playing New Vegas, but that doesn't seem physically possible.
    Play me!

Alternatively, play a self-styled playboy/girl thrasher with a penchant for the cute. Or Undyne.

So, I finally managed to complete a game of CK2 (and had a lot of fun in the process)! Remember the time Ireland unified into one kingdom and eventually formed the Irish empire containing the Kingdoms of Eire, Brittany, France, Aquitaine, Navarra, Aragon, Denmark, Galicia, Leon, Jerusalem (not pictured here) and Bhreatain Bheag? Neither do I, but it was sure as hell fun.

now convert to EU4
  • I bought SA2 and am now playing it.

It's as good as Sonic games get. I feel like the timing for the enemies is off though? They seem to drop later than they're supposed to. I'm not sure if that's just a weird design decision or something about the port.

also the voice acting is like comically bad. I know this is a dead horse with this franchise but it's actually straight up hilarious. VAs step on each other's lines and everything it's great.
  • also the theme for Knuckles' first stage is actually kinda nice
  • I mean yeah

but the instrumental is nice in the same way that any competent Pete Rock imitation is.

the rapping is OK even if the lyrics are some sub-"Stop Faking Jacks" stuff.
    Sometimes I feel sad.

Then I remember this exists

• "to defeat bomb robots, try locking on to the bombs.....................and robots"

thanks Robo-chao
  • Jane said:

now convert to EU4
    Been meaning to ask you, how long does it usually take to convert a save? I started converting it, went to do the dishes and came back 45 minutes later and it still wasn't done, so I just quit the game and put it off till another time.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Shadow the Hedgehog is great

It plays like, well, a 3D Sonic game, same as the others.  It's nice because it integrates the various aspects of SA2 into a single mode; the gameplay has the same problems as that game but is otherwise solid.

And then there's the ridiculously inappropriate level of gun violence, juxtaposed with extremely mild profanity and green alien blood splatters.  It's hilarious.
  • Jane said:

now convert to EU4
    Been meaning to ask you, how long does it usually take to convert a save? I started converting it, went to do the dishes and came back 45 minutes later and it still wasn't done, so I just quit the game and put it off till another time.
    depending on your computer anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours.

also likes to crash during that time.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

now convert to EU4

depending on your computer anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours.

also likes to crash during that time.
    I see. I might just Convert it next time before I leave for work and see if it worked when I came back.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Playing Shovel Knight has made me think about world map design, since the game subtly prods you to do Specter Knight's stage first despite it being the harder of the two beginning stages.
    I read an essay once about the fact that Super Mario World lets you choose between two possible first worlds.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    And what did this essay say about it