who else here had an emo teen phase?

come on, we grew up in the 2000s, i can't be the only one

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    emos are amateurs
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i went through a phase of thinking dark-n-angsty things were cool, i guess

wasn't fashion-conscious or sociable enough that i'd have been described as emo
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I was a goth girl.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wasn't so much "goth" as "depressed, self-loathing Mormon kid".
  • kill living beings
    still going strong five years out of high school #goff
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT EMO-NESS, NOT GOTH-NESS.

HEAPERS' HANGOUT HAS A STRICT ON-TOPIC RULE FOR ALL THREADS.
    liar
  • emoteen!Tools still exists today in the form of emoyoungadult!Tools
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    As a goth girl, I considered myself superior to emo plebeians. While I scared people away with my embrace of the macabre, emo kids capitalized on the popularity of a depressed, angsty image. In truth I was very depressed and suffering from many psychological issues and years of abuse, but I sure did my best not to show it. Instead I was sharp and feisty. I knew I would never be a popularity queen and so I accepted the friends that came and went, sometimes having none at all. The goth kids weren't friends with each other; instead they competed to assert their hipsterish identity more than their competition, enjoying a friendly rivalry at best. And I always had to be ready to demonstrate a superior knowledge of everyone's music, and why my choices were better than theirs. And I sure as heck was. :3
  • in high school I was the kid who listened to throbbing gristle

(*shrug*)
    Me too. *highfive*
  • edited 2015-11-02 22:31:26
    ಠ_ಠ
    And by emoyoungadult!Tools, I mean depressedandstressed!Tools. Yay!

On a serious note, I was an emo teen who grew out of it, ironically, as depression kicked in. I do wear a lot of black, but it's because it's very slimming, not because of the emo phase.

And I do make sure that I wear something colourful as well, like a bright, happy coloured tshirt or coloured underwear.
    i didn't really listen to music until i was about 15

before that i just knew the music my parents listened to, mainly
  • kill living beings
    shit when did i start listening to throbbing gristle sorta shit? i remember i first heard hamburger lady from an /x/ collection

i remember i brought my giger artbook to school once. very dumb do not do this it had a drawing of a farmer ma... well it was nsfw
  • now I listen to like straight up noise and wonky pseudo-pop music and free improv like a sensible adult
  • However, my iPod is full of the cool "emo" bands. Which I like because music is good.
  • Thank God I never went through this.

My first college roommate was into it though and fucking hell it was annoying.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    When I was a kid, I listened to music the rest of humanity knows about.
  • I only went through due to peer pressure. I grew out of when I moved schools and was able to be myself.
  • Though I do worry that I am going through a hipster phase.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Bee said:

Thank God I never went through this.

My first college roommate was into it though and fucking hell it was annoying.
    *stamps "OFFICIALLY NO FUN" on your user profile*
    I dealt with my angst by being a pseudo-intellectual

...which is basically what I still do, with bovine trappings
  • kill living beings
    a pseudo-bovine
  • I was on the train on Sunday, sat on my wheely suitcase with my brown canvas rucksack next to it wearing a plaid shirt, a black and white patterned scarf, black skinny jeans, black Converse All Stars and a grey beret beanie hat listening to Green Day and I thought "What do I look like to other people on this train?"

Not helped by the fact I had a Starbucks frappachino at the station...
  • And today I was wearing the skinny jeans and oversized maroon hoodie.

Oh God, I'm becoming a stereotype.
  • oh no, not the hipsters
    finally you know the truth
  • I was a nu-metal/emo pop fan until I was 12 or so

then I got into the Beatles and never looked back
  • I listened d to the Beatles when I was 8 then I discovered nu metal
    SF_Sorrow is a super cute hippy stoner, probably the type of girl who would have been repulsed by my lack of social skills and my hipsterish disdain for popular classic rock such as the Beatles, but little would she know that when the next rare occasion of Miko listening to the Beatles happened, Miko would accidentally find herself fantasizing about that cute hippy. :3
    A music teacher at school introduced me to the Beatles (as well as other "classic rock") when I was 11

a turning point for me, musically

later I discovered metal, yadda yadda, yntkt
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Lol, listen to legit aldult music like THe Celery Stalks At Midnight you nerds

And not the Doris Day version
  • SF_Sorrow is a super cute hippy stoner, probably the type of girl who would have been repulsed by my lack of social skills and my hipsterish disdain for popular classic rock such as the Beatles, but little would she know that when the next rare occasion of Miko listening to the Beatles happened, Miko would accidentally find herself fantasizing about that cute hippy. :3

aww

I don't have any social skills either
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm fortunate that I had (and still have, I think) a talent of attracting people with intriguingly weird tastes of music to me, dear very much included.

Otherwise, I probably would've just graduated straight through from pop-punk to whatever Pitchfork likes. I still listen to a fair bit of Pitchfork stuff, but I know not to listen to them a priori.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I was just a depressed kid who listened to too much Schubert and Mahler and liked wearing black and reading romanticist poetry and prose.

Yeah, my becoming a goth wasn't a big surprise. But I never did go through an emo phase, mostly because I didn't listen to anything besides classical for the longest time, and had few if any friends, none of whom belonged to any "emo clique"
  • I like the band American Football.

anyway I dunno, I was like a wannabe backpacker kid in highschool.
  • edited 2015-11-03 02:23:20
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was never an emo.
    After today I'm not entirely convinced I'm not an emo teen in an adult's body

In retrospect the mood disorder explains a lot
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I was both obsessed with and scared to death of NIN at one point, circa 1994-1995

this also coincided with my mom getting into an abusive relationship and one of my friendships falling apart :P
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

in high school I was the kid who listened to throbbing gristle

(*shrug*)

Me too. *highfive*

I was also that kid.

I actually made a friend of mine—one of my few at the time, and still a very close friend—listen to songs from Swans' Public Castration is a Good Idea when we were on a long bus ride when I was in seventh or eighth grade. He was disturbed.
    i haven't listened to very much Swans

that is one heck of an album title, i have to say
  • I don't think I had an emo phase, but a bunch of my friends identified as emo with varying degrees of seriousness attached to the term

I did, however, have a Neutral Milk Hotel phase, and my favorite band is still Death Cab for Cutie (though they're not really emo, they're just seen that way because of Ben Gibbard's appearance).
    Tachyon said:

i haven't listened to very much Swans

that is one heck of an album title, i have to say

It's a live album mostly consisting of a notorious 1986 engagement at the ICA. It begins with a nearly thirteen-minute take on "Money Is Flesh" where the drums are like being beaten over the head with cinderblocks. Very slowly.
    Tre said:

I did, however, have a Neutral Milk Hotel phase, and my favorite band is still Death Cab for Cutie (though they're not really emo, they're just seen that way because of Ben Gibbard's appearance).
    Death Cab definitely have some musical affinity with both the poppier and more ambitious sides of emo—listen to "We Looked Like Giants" again, or really any of the guitar work on their early material.
  • Point taken.

Full disclosure: even though the first album I liked by DCFC chronologically was Transatlanticism, the vast majority of my fondness for the band exists as a result of Plans and especially Narrow Stairs, and to a lesser extent Codes and Keys.
    I really need to revisit their work. What I heard off of Kintsugi sounded great, and I've always thought they got a bit of a bad rap for reasons I could never quite pin down.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think people hear Ben Gibbard's voice and just think of all the dubious quality faux-twee that popped up in DCFC's wake.

I think it's the same reason why people get a bit hostile at Pearl Jam these days, because they hear Eddie Vedder's voice and think of the dubious quality faux-grunge that popped up in their wake.
  • I like The Postal Service's lone album but have never heard a DCFC record.
  • this is a corner of the musical Universe I know nothing about
  • perhaps I am misjudging you but I feel like you would not like The Postal Service very much at all.