Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• edited 2015-10-27 16:26:33
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Here's the post that started it, I think

[link replaced with a screenshot because the blog was throwing up security warnings for some people -- Central Avenue] 

• kill living beings
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    uh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, I could understand if she said "I'm Jewish and this is an insult people have directed towards me, so please stop."

But...a lot of younger people on Tumblr think the only way for their objections to be taken seriously is to be loud and make demands of people. This has become an accepted form of discourse on Tumblr to the point where some teens don't seem to realize it's more effective to calmly state your objections instead of immediately making demands of others.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Look at this privileged cracker making tone arguments
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think that there are people who are not Jews who have big noses.

Like there are people who use swastikas and are not anything close to Nazis.
  • I don't know

some time ago on twitter there was someone angrily making demands that people stop identifying with witches and using characters wearing witch hats for avatars because apparently witch hats come from European persecution of Jews

and I felt like shit about it for like two weeks, and then I looked it up and couldn't actually find anything about it so I just kinda stopped caring

like is that assholish behavior on my part? I don't know
  • it's just... not true?

like, that person was pulling stuff directly out of their ass

it's not assholish to ignore people who just make shit up
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    it was probably BS.

"Long nose = ugly" is probably inspired by antisemitism, but lotsa people have been retaking the whole "witch" thing in general.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Uh, yeah, we do. Or rather, Internet callout culture encourages dogpiling over things that are ultimately inconsequential—tasteless one-off jokes, for instance—which can actually really, really hurt people who may mostly be perfectly nice or at least well-meaning.
  • I think that there are people who are not Jews who have big noses.

*waves hi*
    There are also Jews with tiny noses.
  • what about Jews with cute twitch-a-twitch ferret snoots? :3c
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    see, the problem I have is that Justine Sacco's life... wasn't ruined

like she has a new job and a book coming out and generally none of the things that one would associate with a ruined life

certainly not to the same level as the other person in the article, Adria Richards.
    :3 said:

what about Jews with cute twitch-a-twitch ferret snoots? :3c

*...*

>w>
    Generally if you get fired over a left-wing thing, you will have a new career of being courted by right-wing groups and speaking at their meetings.
  • I don't know who any of these people are.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Somewhat tangentially, I unfollowed someone on Twitter for using "tumblrina" more-or-less unironically. I can talk about this more elsewhere if people want.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've called myself a tumblrina before because I thought it was funny
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, said person was also somewhat dismissive of social justice types, and also followed a few gators (though he wasn't one himself). I get the feeling that if he were less mature, he'd be out there harassing Anita and Zoe and Randi with the rest of them. :P
    lee4hmz said:

Well, said person was also somewhat dismissive of social justice types, and also followed a few gators (though he wasn't one himself). I get the feeling that if he were less mature, he'd be out there harassing Anita and Zoe and Randi with the rest of them. :P

Then good on you.

(*Korn voice*) ARE YOU REaDY
  • The reply button was one of the stupider aspects of Tumblr's system. There's literally no system in place for replying to replies. Having to copy and paste them is /fucking absurd/
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I have a post reply button.

That's not in the original, of course, but it's what I have.
  • I don't know who this stormingtheivory person Myr keeps linking is but I followed them and I very quickly came to regret it
    Normally I try not to be the kind of person who gripes about Tumblr interface changes...but disabling the reply feature while not adding an alternative was a pretty user-hostile move.
  • They're adding an alternative later.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Kexruct said:

They're adding an alternative later.

then why not disable replies until later
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    like, i'd get if they decided that that entire idea was bad and they were just getting rid of it, but why not...have the replacement ready???
    what Wendy said
    Kexruct said:

I don't know who this stormingtheivory person Myr keeps linking is but I followed them and I very quickly came to regret it

I see I am still the only person who likes them.
  • I dunno, maybe the site's coding wouldn't allow an instantaneous change? I don't know shit about coding so maybe Lee or someone could shed light on it.
    On one hand, I like tagging my Christmas-related posts so I can find them later.

On the other hand, I don't like that that means giving grumpy "WAIT TILL DECEMBER" people the option of blacklisting them.

Luckily for said people my neurotic side wins out over my spiteful side on this particular issue.
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

I don't know who this stormingtheivory person Myr keeps linking is but I followed them and I very quickly came to regret it

I see I am still the only person who likes them.
    I didn't mind them initially but they're being an apologist for the people who drove Zamii to attempt suicide and that earns them a pretty quick entrance to my shitlist.
    Ohhhh, yeah I just saw those posts.
  • On one hand, I like tagging my Christmas-related posts so I can find them later.

On the other hand, I don't like that that means giving grumpy "WAIT TILL DECEMBER" people the option of blacklisting them.

Luckily for said people my neurotic side wins out over my spiteful side on this particular issue.
    how is it even possible to take not liking certain holidays personally
    What really bothered me with the whole Zamii thing was all the posts to the effect of "I don't support bullying and harassment, but that doesn't mean that we should let everything problematic slide."

Like how dense do you have to be to realize that pushing your social justice causes always comes second to ensuring the well-being of the people you're interacting with? God damn.
    Yeah I sent an ask their way about this.
  • And because public shaming isn't for generically "problematic" behaviors. It's for people who pose an active threat. There is a big difference between publicly shaming someone for drawing noses wrong and calling out a predator like Josh Macedo.
    Storming The Ivory got a hate blog just for saying it's weird Less Wrong hangs out with Moldbuggers and red pillers, so I can understand their resistance here.

On one hand, I like tagging my Christmas-related posts so I can find them later.

Basically I resent that everyone seems to like or at least tolerate it when people show enthusiasm for Halloween all the way back from September, but if you show enthusiasm for Christmas in November it's "too early"

I mean, it's not a big deal one way or the other, but it grates on me
  • I understand it too. Doesn't mean it's acceptable.
    Sure.
  • On one hand, I like tagging my Christmas-related posts so I can find them later.

Basically I resent that everyone seems to like or at least tolerate it when people show enthusiasm for Halloween all the way back from September, but if you show enthusiasm for Christmas in November it's "too early"

I mean, it's not a big deal one way or the other, but it grates on me
    showing enthusiasm for Christmas on any day but Christmas Eve is too early.
  • Christmas, also known as You Will Get Socks And Be Insulted And Fucking Like It Day