Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• What on earth is going on in here.

Look, just follow Undertale fanart blogs, then at least you can get mad about the complete lack of a musical community on tumblr in contrast to its visual art one.
  • kill living beings
    heh.

i just found a music person i like and they have a tumblr, but it's all just tracks with nothing else so what's the point
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The lack of a musical community is a matter of format, methinks. Traditionally, Blogspot has a much stronger association with music sharing and production in terms of blogging communities.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    All the good philosophy blogs are dead.
  • Anyway I am also predisposed to be skeptical of people who are overly critical of the left, especially if they frame it in "SJW" terms.

It's different here because I know you guys, but I don't have that luxury with most people.

Anyway I am also predisposed to be skeptical of people who are overly critical of the left, especially if they frame it in "SJW" terms.

It's different here because I know you guys, but I don't have that luxury with most people.
    Yes, this is true.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

The lack of a musical community is a matter of format, methinks. Traditionally, Blogspot has a much stronger association with music sharing and production in terms of blogging communities.

Blogspot is dead and also the people there never really talked to each other that much.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Anyway I am also predisposed to be skeptical of people who are overly critical of the left, especially if they frame it in "SJW" terms.

Fair enough. Usually that indicates Gamergate-esque rhetoric, even if they don't explicitly frame it in those terms.

I just really dislike this other extreme as well. The people who assume that you MUST be a Gamergate type if you're not 100% uncritical of Tumblr's concept of what social justice entails.
  • edited 2015-10-22 16:35:47
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I can think of a few decent music blogs still hosted on Blogspot—more than a few, actually—but most of them are just "look at this cool thing I found" or "here's a cassette some peeps sent me in the mail" with little direct online communication involved.

Now, on the other hand, Tumblr is a great platform for direct communication in certain forms and for visual media, but when it comes to music it's a bit behind the curve architecturally, which hinders the development of musical communities based on the site itself.

That said, I remember downloading a noise album by someone I follow on Tumblr. Still been meaning to listen to that. Also, Airs' Tumblr is pretty much the only way to get any news about them.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I tend to be more critical of the left than I am of the right, in part because I'm left-leaning so it'd be - you could say - redundant to critique the right so much. I am also pretty erratic with how much I contribute publicly to political and progressive chatter.

The idea that I'm your worst conservative nightmare because I'm critical of e.g. Tumblr leftists (instead of actually having a talk), or whatnot, has always bothered me; but so are the types who attack a caricature of progressive, commonly framed as "SJWs" or similar, like InternetAristocrat. I'm more irritated by the former and tend to give both the benefit of the doubt, since people are more complex than that and speaking with the individual for who they are is more interesting anyway.

Tumblr has, on the whole, been very good for my purposes so I'm not complaining.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Tucker said:

(Also guys use they pronouns for them please)

my bad, i don't follow their blog and didn't know

anyway . . . i tend to be somewhat forgiving of poorly-reasoned social justice on tumblr because most of the people on there are teenagers who will mature as they get older and have a wider experience of the world

i know that sounds patronizing but honestly i didn't sound nearly that smart when i was a teen so, y'know
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Most of my Tumblr is either people from here, or artists I like (mostly Homestuck-related but that's changing since Homestuck is nearly dead), so I haven't seen a whole lot of "no one criticizes The Party and gets away with it" in my dashboard...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Predictably, I follow webcomic artists and assorted weirdos who post stuff like abandoned buildings or draw cute fox-people. Although I really could use more of the latter; there has been a dearth of good furry art on my dash of late...
    +1 on the webcomics and the abandoned/weird buildings. I particularly like fuckyeahbrutalism.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Torgo said:

Like how people try to convince the world that "anime marxist" is a transphobic term?

i think that happened because it was being used by someone who said "allyzone" in the style of "friendzone" unironically
  • i finally managed to get back into my tumblr account praise jesus
    lee4hmz said:

fuckyeahbrutalism.

that's a good blog. architectureofdoom is another good one in a similar vein
    Calica said:

Torgo said:

Like how people try to convince the world that "anime marxist" is a transphobic term?

i think that happened because it was being used by someone who said "allyzone" in the style of "friendzone" unironically
    uh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Maybe it's just becuase I don't tumbl as much as I used to, but I still haven't quite adjusted to the new reblog format yet.

The association "text not indented == this person's words" is hard to break. >_<
  • a lot of fandom stuff annoys the fuck out of me and I have never been able to really pinpoint why
  • kill living beings
    cos it sucks!!
  • crossovers bother me, askblogs REALLY bother me
    i was gonna say same but i don't have a problem with crossovers or askblogs
  • I don't have a problem with them, they just bother me.

Like how I don't have a problem with flies existing, I just don't want them in my house.
    well i mean i'm not personally bothered by them, but some fandom stuff bothers me

idk
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think 99% of all crossovers suck, and the ones that are good are rare as fuck.

Askblogs are okay if like the person running it is good at drawing, because it gives me another source of pictures.
    sometimes i think about writing a Zelda/One Piece crossover fic, but some combination of shame, and fear that i haven't thought the concept through properly, has stopped me from doing this so far

also Homestuck/Doctor Who, which i know has been done before

i feel very unoriginal
  • one time i read a ST:VOY/Gilligan's Island crossover fic

it was not very good and the author never finished it, which made me sad
  • I'm actually kind of offput by fanfic in general, which is hilariously hypocritical because I've read plenty and written my own at times.
    other things i have considered: a rewrite of lonelygirl15 for my imaginary TV station, a rewrite of Bleach because i didn't like how the story went, a rewrite of Harry Potter in the style of DBZ

rewrites of other people's ideas, not new stories that i want to tell
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Half the things I cross over/want to cross over with each other are, if you look carefully enough, set in the same universe anyway.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm fine with fanfic existing, I just don't want to read it 95% of the time, because it's written by people I don't know.

If Alkthash or Nova or Juan were to write fanfic, I'd be on that immediately, because I want to know what they're doing.
  • I'm actually kind of offput by fanfic in general, which is hilariously hypocritical because I've read plenty and written my own at times.

in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels there is a bit where the characters talk about why fanfiction is terrible because the characters are inevitably pale reflections of the originals

which is funny because the Thursday Next novels are set in a society where people can travel into books (also there is time travel and the crimean war has lasted into the present day), which makes the series essentially an elaborate meta-tastic crossover fanfiction featuring characters from a wide array of classic novels (mostly Regency and Victorian stuff but there's some of everything in there)

basically what im getting at is that you are not alone in your weird contitive dissonance
  • edited 2015-10-25 01:12:54
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    I think stuff like "askblogs" are indicative of people who basically
    want whatever piece of fiction they love to be a reality; or to pretend it's so much bigger than it actually is, so they can spend more time in it. There's rarely
    another reason to wonder what a character's favourite food is.

Fanfiction/fanart is practice for bigger things and incentive to draw/write ("I like this thing, why not depict it/depict an elaboration of it?"). There's also supposedly a lot of Queer Processing in those communities but I stopped listening to that podcast partially because they mostly talk about DBZ and "Omegaverse" fanfiction.
  • edited 2015-10-25 01:14:36
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    idk if i want fiction to be 'reality' per se, but i do find i often want the worlds of stories i like to, like, persist outside the boundaries of the story, so i can enjoy exploring them further?

probably why i gravitate towards fictional settings which allow for diverse scenarios, like One Piece and Doctor Who
    I laughed.
    cheap clear-shell cassettes with thin tape

we used to get those all the time because we were po' and couldn't afford TDK or Maxell
    Have you seen the Kmart tape collection on Archive.org yet, Lee? I linked it a few days ago but I don't know if you looked at it...
    I didn't even know it existed until now, so...
  • edited 2015-10-25 03:59:26
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

Basically this guy worked at Kmart in the late '80s-early '90s and kept a bunch of their music tapes
  • I think stuff like "askblogs" are indicative of people who basically
    want whatever piece of fiction they love to be a reality; or to pretend it's so much bigger than it actually is, so they can spend more time in it. There's rarely

don't see anything wrong with that

https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

Basically this guy worked at Kmart in the late '80s-early '90s and kept a bunch of their music tapes
    This is amazing, but I also wonder how long it'll be able to stay up if the music is there in its entirety.
    archive.org has a super special exemption from the dmca so
    Calica said:

for real?
    @Lee: Also most of the 1990s tapes start with this delightfully cheesy jingle:

oh wooooow.
    all JAM jingles are delightfully cheesy
    even the ones that aren't
    Anonus said:

Calica said:

for real?
    yup!
  • edited 2015-10-25 04:49:06
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

I think stuff like "askblogs" are indicative of people who basically

don't see anything wrong with that
    Mostly it's annoying to think about; it's normally just a collection of minor vices. It can be indicative of obsessive tendencies, if you're no longer a kid, for example. Some people need that sort of super-focused, extended escapism because they're miserable and/or damaged; I'm sympathetic to that, but at the same time, it could become harmfully immature.

There are people who have thrown massive fits because, eg, someone made a fan-ask-whatever that doesn't coincide with their mental image of a character. More commonly there are people who argue for days on end about how Character A is a canonical feminist (or isn't) and the anger comes from associating too much with that character (and being afraid of seeing oneself negatively), pretending the characters actually have minds of their own instead of being fictional tools of an author (and thus feeling like they're, I don't know, your friend or something), or being afraid of losing face in the cabal that has formed around some piece of fiction on the internet, because you're supposed to be knowledgeable and insightful about Homestuck, dammit. The internet can bring people together but these communities, when too focused and dedicated (as they often are), become very socially-stunted.

EDIT: Page-bottomer, niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee