Cataloging Terrible Bands That Were Around When I Was An Angry Teenager

Comments

• When you say "angry teenager", I assumed that you meant the region between the ages of 13 and 16, when most people would grow out of it. I know I did. 

And I am reminded once more that holy shit I am 21 this year. 
  • Anyone here heard of Keane?

Because they were the shit during the deepest parts of my edgy phase.
  • We have one song of theirs in our iTunes library, I think.

Though that might be Kenna, I dunno.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    What do angsty white boys listen to now.

Do we just not have angsty white boys.
  • edited 2015-03-17 15:13:40
    ಠ_ಠ
    I listen to a lot of Keane. It's nice background music to have on whilst I do work. 
  • Panurge said:

What do angsty white boys listen to now.

Dubstep and Eminem.
  • naney said:

sunn wolf said:

oh and Muse who i sincerely loved from about 14-17 and they are very bad.

there's this tumblr post that goes like

(*downloads the mcdonalds font and writes "capitalism"*)

muse fan: oh my god oh mygodohmygod
    im glad that i only really liked them during their cut-price radiohead period and went off them roughly at the same point they became a musical equivalent of russell brand
  • in some ways i feel lucky that i was dirt poor and had dial-up at that age so i could only listwn to ine song a day, taking like 6 hours to load a youtube video and playing it over and over

and also listening to sound clips on the listening stations at the bookstore
  • standing in the virgin megastore listening to the 30 second samples of albums on the weird headphone things
  • yeeeee

i just listened to this 20-30 second clip of Der Mussolini over and over
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I listen to much more angsty music now than during my teens...
  • I actually saw Muse in concert a few years ago at the Staples Center in LA (probably 4 years ago?), but these were free tickets a friend was handing out.  My impression?  Great stage design and visuals, boring-as-hell forgettable music, singer who thinks he's hot and is wrong.
    I like Muse.
    But then again, I am not into underground avant-garde doom death screamo grindcore trap mixtapes so perhaps I am missing something.
  • Knights of Cydonia by Muse is one of my all time favourite songs ever. 
  • Muse is the Death Grips of alt-rock.

Take that how you will.
  • but muse is grandiose and pretentious

death grips is fun and dumb jump up and down and have a good time party music

like i can get not liking it but that comparison is weird
    Blackholes and revelations.

1. "Mexican Standoff" — Elbow
    2. "Clocks" — Coldplay
    3. "Overweight" [radio edit] — Blue October
    4. "Hamburg Song" — Keane
    5. "Stab My Back" — The All-American Rejects
    6. "The Small Print" — Muse
    7. "Mr. Brightside" — The Killers
    8. "Newborn" — Muse
    9. "Love Me Like You" — The Magic Numbers
    10. "Vindicated" — Dashboard Confessional
    11. "Hysteria" — Muse
    12. "Uninvited" — Alanis Morissette
    13. "Infra-red" — Placebo
    14. "Yes Please" — Muse
    15. "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" — Brand New
    16. "Luv" — Travis
    17. "Blackout" — Muse
    18. "It's A Disaster" — Ok Go
    19. "Falling Away With You" — Muse

Alternates:

• *"This Is How I Disappear" — My Chemical Romance
    • *"Sleep" — My Chemical Romance
    • *"The Well and the Lighthouse" — Arcade Fire
  • naney said:

but muse is grandiose and pretentious

death grips is fun and dumb jump up and down and have a good time party music

like i can get not liking it but that comparison is weird

look you can't just say that

I can say that Muse is intelligent and sophisticated and cultured and Death Grips is dumb and loud, neither set of statements is more true than the other, you're just interpreting the actual sonic qualities of the music in a specific way. That's not the only way to look at the artists in question.

Also I'm pretty sure if you played Death Grips at....any kind of party? Certainly most parties. You'd get kicked out.

Billy Idol — "White Wedding"
    Beach Boys — "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
    Muse — "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"
    Blue October — "Congratulations"
    Plain White T's — "Take Me Away"
    Jack's Mannequin — "Dark Blue"
    Coldplay — "No More Keeping My Feet on the Ground"
    Fuel — "Hemorrhage"
  • naney said:

???????

I don't see how what I said is confusing.

• well

read the lyrics to a death grips song

any death grips song

they are straightforward, direct, occasionally humorous, and fun! there isn't much in the way of attempts at grand, unifying ideals or commentary beyond the odd bit of punk-ish "fuck everything" attitude.

in terms of the music as a whole, there is a strong emphasis on memorable hooks, and the songs tend to stick within the 3-4 minute range. i will grant that the instrumentation is oftentimes ornate and weird, but it's no more so than say, Kate Bush can be at times.

i mean, you could call it pretentious if you wanted to, but any set of criteria that would lump them as pretentious would grab almost every band under the sun.

id type more but i gots a job interview in a sec
    1. Nine Inch Nails — "Down In It"
    2. Aerosmith — "What it Takes"
    3. Incubus — "Earth to Bella (part 1)"
    4. Interpol — "No I in Threesome"
    5. Korn — "Twisted Transistor"
    6. My Chemical Romance — "The Sharpest Lives"
    7. Motion City Soundtrack — "Point of Extinction"
    8. TV on the Radio — "Wolf Like Me"
    9. R.E.M. — "Accelerate"
    10. Jimmy Gnecco — "Someone to Die For"
  • well

any death grips song

they are straightforward, direct, occasionally humorous, and fun! there isn't much in the way of attempts at grand, unifying ideals or commentary beyond the odd bit of punk-ish "fuck everything" attitude.

in terms of the music as a whole, there is a strong emphasis on memorable hooks, and the songs tend to stick within the 3-4 minute range. i will grant that the instrumentation is oftentimes ornate and weird, but it's no more so than say, Kate Bush can be at times.

i mean, you could call it pretentious if you wanted to, but any set of criteria that would lump them as pretentious would grab almost every band under the sun.

I think the difference between you and I is that you are living in a world where Kate Bush is evidently a pop princess.

Don't mind me, I'm just salty that someone earlier today told me I "must hate music" because I haven't listened to To Pimp a Butterfly yet.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

well

any death grips song

I think the difference between you and I is that you are living in a world where Kate Bush is evidently a pop princess.

Don't mind me, I'm just salty that someone earlier today told me I "must hate music" because I haven't listened to To Pimp a Butterfly yet.
    Take a look at the UK chart stats for Kate Bush's albums and singles.

She practically is a pop princess there. You of all people should realize that not everything revolves around America.
  • There is plenty of stuff that sells very well that the average person still doesn't know anything about.

Radiohead is another example. 

Like, a Platinum album (the best Kate Bush has is double-platinum, which is impressive, don't get me wrong), indicates that 300,000 copies were sold (in the US it would indicate 1 million sold, the standards are different from place to place), double-platinum is about 600,000 copies.

However,

some googling indicates that there were 56 million people living in the United Kingdom in 1980. 

Kate Bush is not on that list, but you know who is? Dido.

I have completely forgotten what point I was trying to make in the process of googling all this, but now you can tell your friends that you know what the best selling album in the UK ever was.
  • also this proves Dido is better than Kate Bush

suck it nerds
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Dido doesn't remind me of George W. Bush and thus is better
  • I can only name one Dido song

maybe she's more popular overseas.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I can't actually name any songs but she did that one I will go down with this ship one right?
  • Oh yeah there's that one too

I was thinking of the one that's like "I hear raindrops on my window / and I can't sleep at all"

Eminem sampled it for "Stan".
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    "Thank You"
  • I should listen to that album sometime. I really like that song.
  • what is to pimp a butterfly
  • Kendrick Lamar's new album

it was supposed to come out later this month but some intern put it up on iTunes early so TopDawg Entertainment just said "fuck it" collectively and released it early.

The same thing happened today with Earl Sweatshirt's new album except that one's not actually out yet. Stuff's weird.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kate Bush recently had a 22-date concert engagement at the Hammersmith Apollo. All of the tickets for all dates sold out within 15 minutes. 

Granted, this was in part because she hadn’t toured in 35 years, but it still shows that she could easily have toured to respectable audiences if she wanted to.

I doubt that Dido has any fans who will clamour to see her in concert at a place like the Hammersmith Apollo when she is the age that Kate Bush is now. 

In the end, resonance and longevity are more remarkable than flash-in-the-pan popularity. That’s what separates the sales and concert attendance of Radiohead from the sales and concert attendance of Hanson (“MMMBop” was a big hit at the same time OK Computer topped the charts in the UK).
    1. Smashing Pumpkins — "Today"
    2. Right Said Fred — "I'm Too Sexy"
    3. The Temper Trap — "Sweet Disposition
    4. Linkin Park — "Pts. Of Athrty"
    5. 3 Doors Down — "Duck and Run"
    6. Simon and Garfunkel — "Hazy Shade of Winter"
    7. Death Cab for Cutie — "I Will Follow You Into the Dark"
    8. Muse — "Intro [Absolution]"
    9. Muse — "Take A Bow"
    10. Muse — "Assassin"
    11. Ok Go — "Invincible"
    12. Travis — "Safe"
    13. Elbow — "One Day Like This"
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Today" is a good song, I think.

My angsty teen phase was mostly Soundgarden, who I still like.

Later I got into thrash metal, which I still like.

Basically I'm saying
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Jimmy Eat World and The Killers are still really great.
  • Panurge said:

"Clocks" — Coldplay

i have a weird nostalgic liking for this song bcos it reminds me of being 12 and in my dads car listeningto absolute radio on the way to, idk, scout group or the beach or something

tbf coldplay are all very skilled musicians (their drummer is insane) and have written some goood pop hooks it is a shame that they make the most cardboard uninteresting middle of road by numbers dadrock
  • like if coldplay went 'fuck it' and one day decided to release a deeply experimental noise-pop album i bet it would be fucking brilliant, however sadly they are busy rolling around in gold plated swimming pools full of money and naming their offspring after varieties of fruit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Clocks" is the only Coldplay song I really like.

Well, "Talk" is ok, but only because it steals its hook from a much better song.
  • I like Coldplay
  • I have confessed to liking Linkin Park.

I can no longer feel shame.
  • Mike Shinoda makes good music there is nothing wrong with liking Linkin Park.
    • Monsters — Matchbook Romance
    • One of a Kind — Placebo
    • Animal I Have Become — Three Days Grace
    • Na Na Na Na Naa — Kaiser Chiefs
    • Hit the Floor — Linkin Park
    • Notice — Gomez
    • Bullets — Editors
    • Glycerine — Bush
    • Ugly Side — Blue October
    • Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want — Muse
    • MakeDamnSure — Taking Back Sunday
    • Map of the Problematique — Muse
    • You Make Me Smile — Blue October
    • Paperthin Hymn — Anberlin
    • Pts.OF.Athrty — Linkin Park
    • Hemorrhage — Fuel
  • naney said:

shit bands i liked as an angry teen:

* Rammstein

* Pendulum

* Later KMFDM

* Combichrist

Speaking of edgelord bands that I liked, did you like Powerman 5000 too?