Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel betrayed by Korra. I thought it was going to be hype and I stayed on that sinking ship for too goddamn long. I should have gotten off long ago. Betrayed.

My hate for it knows no bounds.
  • Look dude, I am not gonna tell you how to live your life, but perhaps you could consider expending all that hate on something more meaningful than a cartoon. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've got plenty of hate for everybody and everything.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I was really excited when Korra was first announced. I really enjoyed the first series. It was well done and told a great story. Korra had a lot of problems with it, partially due to them never being sure how many episodes they were getting and partially just because I don't think they had a clear enough idea about what they were trying to do anything. 

I stuck around for about a season and a half, I think? I barely remember now. None of the episodes really stuck out to me. I briefly got back on board when I heard the Avatar origin story episodes were good and watched those ones, but that was it. I liked those ones. 

Now I just feel slightly disappointed and apathetic towards the whole thing. 
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I made it through most of the first season....I heard about the rest through osmosis. I didn't even know about the finale until Ally mentioned it on Twitter. :o
  • edited 2014-12-23 05:30:17

What's the deal with this new update?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    A Seinfeld banner? Haha, now you are seeing the effects of ABC Warner's stealth purchase of Tumblr
  • but have you turned on festivus mode
    naney said:

What's the deal with this new update?

Homestuck, you mean?
  • refresh tumblr
    Oh, I see.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    reboot tumblr

• My dreams exceed my real life
    “average year contains 3 spiders georg memes” factoid actually just statistical error. average year contains 0 spiders georg memes. 2014, which contained over 10,000 each day, was an outlier adn should not have been counted
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Panurge said:

“average year contains 3 spiders georg memes” factoid actually just statistical error. average year contains 0 spiders georg memes. 2014, which contained over 10,000 each day, was an outlier adn should not have been counted

I giggled.
  • kill living beings
    so, alcorn's blog was deleted. dunno who by. her suicide note can be read on the internet archive if you so desire. as you might have heard, she did not seem to want it to be private.

don't really have much to say about it other than that it's spooky how similar her blog looks to thousands of tumblrs i ignore, and that i'm glad this completely overshadowed those dumb assholes faking their deaths
  • Probably her parents deleted it.

And yeah, the pseuicides are really stupid, and at first I thought hers was just another of them :/
  • kill living beings
    i mentioned that because i first heard it as tumblr staff having done it, but the parents seems more likely
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Luckily, to the best of my knowledge, Tumblr doesn't do robots.txt. Even if they did, her parents wouldn't know how to work it. 

Besides, her suicide note will live on the site in the form of reblogs.

This means her story will live on, no matter how much her parents wish otherwise.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Apparently someone made a "call out" post about Leelah, the trans teenager who recently commited suicide because she said anti-otherkin stuff.
  • kill living beings
    lol
  • Some otherkin really piss off trans people by claiming that the two are equivalent.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always sorta laughed off the otherkin stuff myself, but I can see why someone like Alcorn who's had a way harder time with trans stuff would be offended by it.
  • I'm far from against otherkin; I think that feeling affinity for an animal / spiritual connection / whatever has a long history and is a quite real thing.  However, I do not think it is the same kind of thing as being trans, nor do otherkin suffer nearly as much.

However, the current Tumblr trends of being "polykin" (i.e. collect-the-set) and deciding you're 'god-kin', 'demon-kin', 'star-kin', etc etc are IMO utterly full of crap.
  • that's basically my opinion on the thing
  • my opinion has more to do with whether they're assholes than what they believe specifically.
  • Well yeah, people are free to believe whatever the hell they like, I don't have to approve it.
  • Morven said:

'star-kin',

wtf is this? 'i identify as a huge ball of flaming gas'??
  • kill living beings
    that... appears to be it. the mind boggles
  • sunn wolf said:

Morven said:

'star-kin',

wtf is this? 'i identify as a huge ball of flaming gas'??
    you'd understand if you ate more bad mexican food
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.
    tbh though i'm kind of disappointed, i was picturing people identifying with constellations
  • this opened up to me the concept of 'voidkin', and here i was anticipating a little sector of tumblrites who identify as literally nothing, but boringly turns out to be just a flavour of 'spacekin', or even more boringly refers to people who identify as black holes
    i don't really understand how identifying with a black hole or a star is all that different from identifying with an animal, honestly

animals have brains, ok, but human beings have an equally long history of attributing 'mind' or intention to non-living features of our environments
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=1958

also lol'd at the mexican thing.
    and where mythical creatures (and for that matter, fictional characters) are concerned, well, i really don't see any difference there, if anything these are often easier to identify with since they often think like humans, whereas most animals will see the world very differently from us
  • hi. im blank-kin. i identify as nothing whatsoever. I'm an empty all-consuming void. my pronouns are no pronouns because i don't exist
    Sorry, I had to: 

• I accidentally hit 'follow' on someone and then they reblogged about a dozen of my posts and followed me.  I'm now feeling like I shouldn't unfollow them after that.
    You're mutuals now.
  • edited 2015-01-09 04:47:40
    kill living beings
    so I’m hearing that Leelah was anti-otherkin? While we shouldn’t hold it against her, I think we should remember the negative as well as the positive because otherwise we are just reducing her to a martyr when she was more than that. We are raising her up on a pedestal by erasing what we see as flaws, the same way her parents erased from her identity what they saw as flaws. Don’t curse her name and expect her to apologize from the dead, but don’t forget her flaws because they are just as important as the rest.
    so beyond the already mentioned, obvious bullshit. i want to complain about the form. i think this is a part of tumblr i really hate. this sort of, what is this, pseudointellectualism? "curse her name" and all. melodrama? i guess melodrama.

it's like hey. thing. but also, much smaller other thing. that's Important. here are words for me to convince you of its importance.

like even if it wasn't a complaint that was completely stupid. like if she hated black people or something. you'd just have to change the first sentence. rest is completely as meaningless. there's no anything. it's like parading as examination of views or bla bla fuck but it's just a buncha regurgitated pharsing. what is there to get from this? even if somebody on tumblr had miraculously not heard the news that apotheosized people aren't actually gods, they'd be better served by a fucking book or something.

i should work out my issuesssss
  • euhemerized

i didn't know that this was a word thank you
  • kill living beings
    i used it wrong, but i'm okay with that because it's a neat word
    Matt Fraction's blog right now is like ten posts of that Lenny Kravitz picture making jokes about his enormous scarf and while also complaining that his kids are sick.
  • Morven said:

I'm far from against otherkin; I think that feeling affinity for an animal / spiritual connection / whatever has a long history and is a quite real thing.  However, I do not think it is the same kind of thing as being trans, nor do otherkin suffer nearly as much.

However, the current Tumblr trends of being "polykin" (i.e. collect-the-set) and deciding you're 'god-kin', 'demon-kin', 'star-kin', etc etc are IMO utterly full of crap.
    short version: teenagers are dumb

long version: tumblr REALLY has problems with the concept of identity. it's commodified to a ridiculous extent to give people a sense of validation. even a cisgendered heterosexual white boy (normally the kind of people tumblr hates) can feel special if he identifies as a fox, a Korean dragon and Severus Snape all at once. they're kind of dumb and funny to read sometimes, but otherwise completely harmless except in cases where they try to equate their suffering to the suffering of trans*, gay and otherwise persecuted minorities. i have seen otherkin who literally compare their situation to eric garner's and it pisses me off because it trivializes a very real tragedy.

If science somehow (I dunno how) finds a way to put you in the body of a coyote or a Jaeger from Pacific Rim? Sure, I'll accept otherkin as a valid identity (and tbh that last one sounds hella metal). Until then, you're a goddamn human.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    imo it's a waste of energy to hate otherkin because they're never going to make any progress and that's because there is no scientific basis for, or evidence of, their perceived problem (animal brain in a human body). They will continue to blog, most people on Earth will continue to not care, and most of them will outgrow that particular kind of blogging, probably. I kind of understand identifying with an animal and wanting to be an animal and maybe feeling like an animal so I wouldn't hate anyone for that. It's just something totally different from being a homo or being trans.
    i feel the same way about basically all of that.
  • edited 2015-01-13 15:40:33
    Sometimes I open some blog and see that "kin page" among links and find out a person is a computer virus a dog a dragon and a sunflower and I can't help but "woooow"

But my favorite are those "if you're white/male/cis/18+ ask before following"
  • edited 2015-01-13 15:38:47
    Basically a less harmful version of what happened w/ MySpace, because at least it doesn't give people a romanticized notion of a serious mental condition

^ Yeah, those are stupid too