Anime

Comments

• Big Ed has very complex views on the War on Terror
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Apparently the new blu-rays of JJBA aren't selling as well as the last batch.

I don't know why Japan is ignoring such prime waifu material as Polnareff
  • Tachyon said:

oh, no i wasn't meaning to send you off scouring tumblr, i just wondered what kinds of things people were attempting to justify

Ed in Brotherhood...eh, he thinks that race shouldn't matter when treating a person. Race isn't as simple as that, there are cultural things that shouldn't be disregarded when considering how you should view a person. Miles explicitly calls him ignorant for doing this.

In 2003 it's even more explicit. There's an entire episode devoted to calling Ed an ignorant little shit
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-10/yoshitoshi-abe-despera-project-is-moving-forward-with-new-director/.83127

I know some people are fans of the series Yoshitoshi ABE have worked on, so figured I'd post the news in case anyone is interested.

The beau showed me this! I am hype.
    Death Parade is pretty good.

Also, of all things, Maria The Virgin Witch is apparently a better show than the title would suggest.
  • it has "witch" in the title how bad can it be
  • Chikyuu Bouei-bu AOTS

Dashing and daring,

Courageous and caring,

Faithful and friendly,

With stories to share.

All through the forest,

They sing out in chorus,

Marching along

As their song fills the air.

Yuri Bears!!

Bouncing here and there and everywhere.

High adventure that's beyond compare.

They are the Yuri Bears!

Magic and mystery

Are part of their history,

Along with the secret

Of yuriberry juice.

Their legend is growing,

They take pride in knowing,

They'll fight for what's right,

In whatever they do.

Yuri Bears!!

Bouncing here and there and everywhere.

High adventure that's beyond compare.

They are the Yuri Bears!

They are the Yuri Bears!

• I don't even wanna know.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You don't wanna know the secret of yuriberry juice?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Two shows that I did not expect to be referenced in the same breath.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I really like how much oboe Nichijou utilizes in its soundtrack. Makes me happy. Double reeds ^_^
  • Big Ed has very complex views on the War on Terror

Ironically this was one of the arcs of the first anime
  • Acererak said:

Big Ed has very complex views on the War on Terror

Ironically this was one of the arcs of the first anime
    yes, the Ed Edd N Eddy anime
  • rolf is so kawaii
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think the idea of ed edd n eddy having arcs is weirder than the idea of it being an anime
    Death Parade might be the most intellectually interesting show this season.
  • The first episode of the new season of Durarara was kind of slow, but 5 minutes and I"m already enjoying the second episode. Definitely looking forward to the new arc.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I like Death Parade. It's really a shame to see what commenters think of it, though--it's as if they have no urge to think or process any sort of complexity
  • i watched the 3 episodes of Ghost In The Shell: Arise on netflix
  • edited 2015-01-19 05:09:04

naney said:

i watched the 3 episodes of Ghost In The Shell: Arise on netflix

Oh shoot, I totally forgot the third one was out.

Also, what did you think of it?

Edit: Nevermind, I did see the third one, I just forgot I did. Still need to see the final one though.

(The other Jane)
    Wait, there's a third one?
  • Corvidium said:

Wait, there's a third one?

There's 4 OVAs for Ghost in the Shell: Arise.
  • I liked them a good deal!

also

eyebrow game Satsuki Kiryuin
  • naney said:

I liked them a good deal!

Cool!

Personally, I enjoyed Arise a good bit, though I have to admit I didn't get quite as invested in Arise as I did in the movies and SAC.

(The other Jane)
    Liked the comics. Loved the Laughing Man plot. Didn't get through the movies
  • Corvidium said:

Liked the comics. Loved the Laughing Man plot. Didn't get through the movies

Haven't gotten around to reading the comics actually, though I have read some of Shirow Masamune's other stuff. I absoultely adore the movies, but they were how I was introduced to Ghost in the Shell.
    Part 4 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is basically Ed, Edd, and Eddy.
    Ed: Josuke

Edd: Koichi

Eddy: Oyakasu

Rohan: Kevin

That alien: Rolf

Nazz: Yukako

Jonny: Shigechi

Jimmy: Kira
  • edited 2015-01-20 03:30:19

Watched the first episode of Death Parade.It's pretty interesting. Does anyone know that those masks are on the elevators at the very end of the episode? I think one looks like a Hannya mask, but I'm not sure what the other one is.

Also, does anyone know the VA for the guy who voices Takashi? I want to say it's Kazuya Nakai, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • edited 2015-01-22 03:42:23

I just watched the first episode of The Devil is a Part-Timer! because netflix kept tossing it at me and I figured it'd be something to laugh at, judging from the dubious synopsis, title and the other miscellany I read about it beforehand

And actually I ended up liking it ok. The characters are a bit kooky but not gratingly or unrealistically so, it's reasonably taut in terms of narrative, and the humor is solid.

Also the end of the episode was this incredibly dry inversion of what the narrative was leading you to thinking was going to happen that had me in stitches.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Nichijou <3

(The other Jane)
    naney said:

I just watched the first episode of The Devil is a Part-Timer! because netflix kept tossing it at me and I figured it'd be something to laugh at, judging from the dubious synopsis, title and the other miscellany I read about it beforehand

And actually I ended up liking it ok. The characters are a bit kooky but not gratingly or unrealistically so, it's reasonably taut in terms of narrative, and the humor is solid.

Also the end of the episode was this incredibly dry inversion of what the narrative was leading you to thinking was going to happen that had me in stitches.

Huh maybe I should give it a shot
  • As an addendum I watched the second episode and I have really warmed up to it, the humor and the drama play with one another very nicely and the characterization is rather fun and feels organic.
  • Also it's one of the few comedic animes that I've watched where they really nail getting a broad variety of sorts of humor going, and know how to work the drama and humor together without one damping your engagement with the other.
  • edited 2015-01-23 05:49:29

having watched a few more episodes, i am in love. one nitpick: there are a few tone switching issues that crop up, but they're not too bad.

also there are action sequences. not super frequent (aside from one episode in there which is one long battle), but they're really good and they're there, so there's that.
  • http://www.otakutale.com/2015/ghost-shell-arise-tv-anime-announced-spring/

Possiby a New Ghost in the Shell TV series based in the arise OVAs. Or it could be a TV broadcasting of the OVAs. Hoping for the former though. Also, new GITS movie coming out in the summer.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Devil is a part timer is the anime my anime club is watching tomorrow, good to know it's pretty cool
    ...Yeah, Devil is a Part Timer was terrible

They couldn't decide whether they wanted a generic shonen or shitty slice of life and eventually settled on a little of both
    Bunny said:

They couldn't decide whether they wanted a generic shonen or shitty slice of life and eventually settled on a little of both
    Differing opinions on Heaper's Hangout
    I know, crazy, right? It's like we're different people!
    Bunny said:

I know, crazy, right? It's like we're different people!

Everyone here is actually Imiplolex G's sockpuppet.
  • Bunny said:

you wound me to the core
  • still trying to decide how much i enjoyed railgun
  • Magi is pretty alright

so sayeth I, Magic Jane.
  • I started watching that but wasn't a fan

Differing Heap Opinions Part II: Will Friendships Survive?
  • It doesn't take much to get me involved in a halfway decent action anime provided I can actually be assed to watch it.
  • Whoever wrote this episode was some kind of Libertarian.

Like jeez, there are many things I expect to see in an anime, most of an episode being devoted to how paper currency will literally lead to slavery is not one of them.
  • Whoever wrote this episode was some kind of Libertarian.

Like jeez, there are many things I expect to see in an anime, most of an episode being devoted to how paper currency will literally lead to slavery is not one of them.

Yeah, nnnnnever really got that part.
  • Anyways Magi's biggest problem is that it clearly has a lot to say about historical politics but it's bogged down by the fact that it's a fucking anime where genie-wielding wizards fight talking plant monsters.