Sredni Vashtar Reads Homestuck

Comments

• ^^ hell yes hell yes

And that's not even the best part, what happens after is really a cut above
  • I never liked that passage, actually.

Spoiler:
    Eridan going bad is too close to Eridan getting sliced. Cheapens the blow of him turning all the way evil. And the whole 'take one enemy at a time' thing was too close to bad Butch Hartman work imo

This was also the point where the Homestuck thread was locked because of AHR complaining about what happened with Nep falling into Gamzee's clutches.
    Spoiler:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    what's with the nested spoiler tags
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    No idea. The markup looks right...
  • edited 2014-11-22 23:39:18
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Spoiler:
    Eridan was always pretty detestable, even if it took that long for him to follow through on his threats of killing everyone. (At the time it happened I didn't think those events was too close together, but maybe reading it all at once makes a difference. Or maybe I was just so overjoyed to have Kanaya back I didn't care.)

As for taking one enemy at a time, they were too far apart for her to take them all with a single attack, but since none of them were able to react I always read that sequence as her moving so fast it might as well have all been one action anyway.

Basically I see your points, but I'm biased towards/against the various characters involved, so hey.

^ there's no / on that second spoiler, so it made a new one instead of closing out the first
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Haven said:

Spoiler:
    Eridan was always pretty detestable, even if it took that long for him to follow through on his threats of killing everyone. (At the time it happened I didn't think those events was too close together, but maybe reading it all at once makes a difference. Or maybe I was just so overjoyed to have Kanaya back I didn't care.)

As for taking one enemy at a time, they were too far apart for her to take them all with a single attack, but since none of them were able to react I always read that sequence as her moving so fast it might as well have all been one action anyway.

Basically I see your points, but I'm biased towards/against the various characters involved, so hey.

^ there's no / on that second spoiler, so it made a new one instead of closing out the first

What you are saying here nails it for me, although I don't see him as so much purely detestable as just an unhinged, angry, entitled little boy with way too much power and far too little sense finally giving into his basest, meanest feelings of rejection and misdirected frustration. The violence isn't calculated, it's a fit, the culmination of escalating mania and paranoia. Now, a certain other character's flip was decidedly more sudden to me, even if it was foreshadowed in various subtle ways...
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Lee: The comic uses graphics from FF6 at one point, so... (also that is the best and awesomest final fantasy)

I may liveblog the comic here, when I re-read it, but I'm not going to re-read it until it's done. Or maybe I'm too boring to do a good liveblog. Thoughts?
    I would be game for that, but it might be a while seeing as Act Six isn't likely to end until at least February.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I'm kind of at a point where I don't want to think of a few months as a "long" time. <_<' But anyway, that's fine. I'm hoping I am much more at peace when February comes around.
    I didn't mean to frame it in those terms. I'm just saying that you might have to wait. I wanted to wait until the comic was complete, but I got impatient and decided to resume a year from where I left off.
    I'm waiting because the end result will be a thing I can finish. ^_^
    That makes sense. I approve.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    This is your reminder that the Midnight Crew record is pretty cool.

I remember hearing this version of "I'm A Member of the Midnight Crew" and loving it. I will be disappointed if it doesn't feature in the story somewhere
    ^ I do not believe so, but it is a fun number.

Anyway!

So we are now into dream-bubble territory and that is rad. Aradia continues to be best troll, Jade and Sollux are making jokes about Karkat, and Jack Noir is full of bone-craving and rage against the postal service—three cheers for things funnier in hindsight!
  • edited 2014-11-24 23:18:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I love how Hussie weaves in elements of modern myth into the fabric of the myth he's creating, and conversely how the nature of the real monster at the heart of the labyrinth is woven into so many aspects of the two worlds from which our heroes have come and into which that evil will ultimately insinuate itself.

The Peter Pan references are particularly interesting when you consider that all of the protagonists are children and adolescents given the opportunity to obtain immortality and merge their waking lives with their dreams of flight.
    (((o)))

But I can't wait to see the Doctor...
    Rose has officially reached the point in her arc where this becomes appropriate:

So I am using two computers at once now! Madness, I know, but appropriate here.

The Warhammer of Zillyhoo has come into John's possession. HAIL!
  • edited 2014-11-26 17:29:19
    (Incidentally, in the midst of this respite of silliness we get a flash of alt!Gamzee being fucking terrifying, as usual. Hussie, you are a bastard and I love it.)
    Captain Tyler.

Hopefully responsible.
    TG: we can keep obsessing over your fucked up kismesister if you want 
    GC: 1TS NOT L1K3 TH4T! >XO 

You walked right into that one, Terezi.

Also, being on the same site on two different devices is weeeeeeird.
    Yup, seeing myself type in two different fonts verges on PCG/FCG territory.

But let's talk about this weird room on the meteor. Why is it even there and what's with the record player? I'm still not sure.
    Had my escape not necessit8ed her demise, she would have made a lovely rival. If she'd only discarded her childish preoccup8tion with justice, we might have made a striking scourge. Had we inched 8lacker we'd have torn red miles across the land and sea. Unfortun8ly, the only miles to 8e found through her 8ureaucratic calling were those of red tape. When so ensnared, one is eventually 8ound to 8e choked. 

Heh.
    [S] Flip.

Oh my oh my.

You rang?
    I'll remind you that the pacing of my account will be characterized by a reduction in granularity from what you have come to expect by way of an undamaged disc. You will imagine the remainder of the duel to be sensational, and I will continue my steady distribution of facts as if they were pieces of candy, poured from a bottomless white hemisphere. 

The duel ends. The Seer dies. The Slayer departs. The Heir comes back to life.

You're a dick, Doc Scratch.

Also one of my favourite characters for precisely that reason.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

You're a dick, Doc Scratch.

You're as cuddly as a cactus and as charming as an eel
    Preeeetty much. He really is a creep. But he's also eerily inhuman and basically completely incapable of seeing what's wrong with his behaviour. He's also just so deliciously awful when he is awful.
  • edited 2014-11-26 20:54:43
    And Vriska once more encounters that human emotion they call remorse. That doesn't end well.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    My headcanon is that JOhn kept all of his dad's notes.
    I think that's a pretty plausible idea, at least as applied to the notes he found after entering the game.

Also, I am now at the point where we finally see what Terezi's game powers do and why they make her dangerous. It is... genius, and very satisfying, yet terribly sad.
  • edited 2014-11-26 22:30:24
    Hello, Snowman.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Is it okay to be attracted to a carapace lady
  • edited 2014-11-26 22:30:33
    I think it's completely reasonable under these circumstances, assuming you can get past the stabbiness. But if that's your bag too, then I think you're totally in the clear.
  • edited 2014-11-26 22:32:38
    Spoiler:
    AG: To 8e honest, I am nervous a8out this fight. 
    AG: 8ut I'm still going through with it, for a lot of reasons. 
    AG: To save my friends, or at least the ones who are still alive. Oh, and I guess to save reality itself from 8eing totally fucked up. There's that too. 
    AG: 8ut I think what's motiv8ting me to win this fight the most is........ 
    AG: The possi8ility of getting to meet you when it's all over! 
    AG: May8e I can finally put all this terri8le stuff 8ehind me. 
    AG: And I won't have to worry a8out 8eing the 8est anymore, or proving what a ruthless killer I can 8e. 
    AG: May8e I can try out whatever is supposed to 8e normal for a human. Who knows, it might not 8e as 8oring as it sounds! 
    AG: May8e 
    AG: If you're not too freaked out 8y all the 8ad things I've done........ 
    AG: Or the fact that I am an alien 
    AG: We could go on a d8? ::::O

.______.
  • That part hurt. It hurt a lot.
  • emotion hell

population: people who have read that
    The worst part is... it isn't meant selfishly anymore. The opportunity to become better and be happy is denied, because it was always going to be denied.

Come to think of it, *that* is the emotional nadir of Homestuck. Nobody is happy or safe.
    And in the midst of the single darkest continuous stretch in this comic (excluding some recent developments), we get Karkat's absolutely amazing Freudian slips about Jade.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yay you're almost to Cascade XD
    Indeed! I'll probably be stopping there for the night.
    Oh god, Nepeta and Jaspers.

0~0

• whenever i think of Cascade i end up thinking of the hammy supersaw riff that starts around 2:17 here rather than the actual music that goes with the flash
    So, I was saying something to Alicia and Section while we were discussing Gamzee on IRC when my iPad lost power that amounted to this: There is a scene deep in Act Six where he and Rose talk, ever so briefly, and it is... very interesting and strange.
    I forgot about the story of the other John.

More sadness. Gaaah...
    ...and then it was adorable.
  • edited 2014-11-27 02:10:04
    TG: you were all pavement faced and babbling your throefester speak and flipping off the shit with your own crazy deathwish thing why do you think you know what was going through my head 
    TG: youre just assuming and throwing around psyche buzzwords like aspd complex disorder 
    TT: So it's a disorder, a complex, and then a disorder again for good measure? 
    TG: in your case probably 
    TT: Sounds like a positively delirious state of existence. 
    TG: its some delirious biznasty alright 
    TT: Oh... snap? 
    TG: yes ima authorize a GOD DAMN you may swipe it at the door to check yourself into the burn ward 
    TT: Might you loosen the purse strings on an "Oh no he didn't?" 
    TG: nah those are kept in emergency reserve for yo mama jokes from the 90s 

Self-explanatory.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just finished watching Cascade myself.

I will keep silent on it until you get back up to that later tonight, assuming that I am still awake by then.
    I think I'm going to go to bed soon and proceed to it tomorrow, earlier in the day. But first I will finish up with the scrapbooking.

I will, however, mention one thing that I remember distinctly: Jade reaching God Tier is awesome, in all senses.