Sonic Inflation and Mpreg fanart, along with SammyClassicSonicFan, linked in Guardian article

Comments

• and before you ask it is all SFW

well as SFW as such things can be
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    >the ageless hero

he's supposed to be 15
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
     Here's a confronting idea: what if the Sonic franchise was never that good to begin with? 

Also it presents the "cartoons voiced by Steve Urkel" as if they happened during a low point in the franchise's history
  • Anonus said:

Also it presents the "cartoons voiced by Steve Urkel" as if they happened during a low point in the franchise's history

if "cartoons voiced by Steve Urkel" don't qualify as a low point

then that does not bode well
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The cartoons were made during the early years, when the games were still well-regarded.

And the early games are still pretty fun.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anonus said:

These, admittedly, have not aged as well, but I agree it's a pretty shameless attempt to make a point which is pretty flawed.
    I actually like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Unusually, it was a DIC show of actual quality (the one titled simply Sonic the Hedgehog, which is usually called "SatAM", is held in higher regard, but it seems less unusually entertaining and I don't know if it's my thing)
    Maybe "quality" was the wrong word though

It appeals to me and it has real artistry to it, even if it is kinda shoddy
  • "None of the Sonic games were ever good" has become a stock ejjy thing to say and it just makes me sigh a lot.
    You know what would be funny? If an article in defense of furries or bronies or whatever showed up in one of these mainstream outlets and people got riled up over it.
  • Wasn't there a pretty decent 3D sonic game from around 1997 or 1998 ish?
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Sonic Adventure? It's pretty decent
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Sonic Adventure 2 was good, too. Then Heroes happened. And Shadow the Hedgehog.

(Confession to make here: I actually like Shadow the Hedgehog, cheesy and stupid as it is.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The main thing I remember about Heroes is that the theme song was simultaneously obnoxious and earwormy as hell
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I laughed a lot. ^_^
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I liked all the sonic games except SOnic 2006.
  • I'm so glad Rayman exists right now oh my god

I know I really shouldn't laugh at Sammy and that video they linked to but I can't keep it in
    It seems like most people outside the Sonic fandom ignore any game past '06
  • Wasn't there a pretty decent 3D sonic game from around 1997 or 1998 ish?

There was an isometric one, wasn't there? Sonic 3D Blast, according to google.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Fun fact: the Saturn game Sonic X-treme was going to have a tie-in Christmas special called An X-tremely Sonic Christmas.

But Sonic X-treme was, of course, never finished or released...but the special was already made, so they renamed it Sonic Christmas Blast at the last minute to tie in with 3D Blast.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 was good, too. Then Heroes happened. And Shadow the Hedgehog.

(Confession to make here: I actually like Shadow the Hedgehog, cheesy and stupid as it is.)

Where's that damn fourth Chaos Emerald?
  • THAT WORD IS A BOZO NO-NO
    really for non-fans it's like Unleashed and Colors and Generations don't exist
  • isn't unleashed the one where he turns into a werehedgehog or something
  • yeah, unleashed had the werehog.  it was...a bit of a pain, though the non-werehog levels were fine
  • edited 2014-05-10 15:01:26
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I actually enjoyed the Werehog levels, even if they're not Sonic enough...certainly better than emerald hunting or fishing
  • Haven said:

Wasn't there a pretty decent 3D sonic game from around 1997 or 1998 ish?

There was an isometric one, wasn't there? Sonic 3D Blast, according to google.
    That's the one I was thinking of.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 was good, too. Then Heroes happened. And Shadow the Hedgehog.

Heroes is one of the better 3D games in the franchise. Possibly a contender for the best, if we're going purely by gameplay.
  • edited 2014-05-10 15:56:33
    thing with sonic is that sonic is really, really ill-suited for anything plot-heavy or realism-heavy

the early sonic games all had lots of conceptual/abstract features, from checkerboard platforms to stylized plants to...heck, a blue heavily-stylized hedgehog with thin arms and legs who spinjumps to break robots.

you need that level of stylized-ness to be compatible with the entire premise of the series

but games have been trying to do story-heavy, movie-like, oh-so-realistic stuff these days
  • thing with sonic is that sonic is really, really ill-suited for anything plot-heavy or realism-heavy

the early sonic games all had lots of conceptual/abstract features, from checkerboard platforms to stylized plants to...heck, a blue heavily-stylized hedgehog with thin arms and legs who spinjumps to break robots.

you need that level of stylized-ness to be compatible with the entire premise of the series

but games have been trying to do story-heavy, movie-like, oh-so-realistic stuff these days

No? No. No Sonic game has been like that since...Sonic & The Black Knight maybe?

The ones that are bad have much bigger problems than trying to be "realistic".
  • the "realistic" thing was a problem in 2006 mostly in the part where they had Princess Elise, who was drawn like a Final Fantasy character, kissing Sonic, who wasn't.
    also the creepy, poorly-animated NPCs
  • Heroes was fun, but it was in spite of some very questionable design decisions.  Like fucking long 12-minute levels and everything to do with the Chaotix.  I'd have liked the level design much, much more if they at least split it in half or something.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I feel like the only person who's completely apathetic to sonic at this point
    I doubt you're alone, honestly

maybe on HH you are, but elsewhere? Probably not...
  • I was never really a huge Sonic fan (there was a short time when I was really into it as a kid but it didn't last long and I never owned a Sonic game for more than a day; otherwise I mostly just knew AoStH and had a Sonic t-shirt), so I'm mostly apathetic to it too.

I wonder how well Sonic 4 sales have been going.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember not liking AoStH at one point not because of the goofy premise or the DiC-quality animation, but because it reminded me of how much quicker my crush at the time got her work done in class. :P

AoStH is a shining example of what TV Tropes calls Deranged Animation

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

• pingas
    lee4hmz said:

Anonus said:

• I'd be apathetic if not for the fandom's... tomfoolery.

My opinion, perhaps unfairly, has diminished recently due to the Sammy nonsense and a general aversion to the wankery the series attracts

None of which is honestly Sega's fault, but still.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am apathetic to Sonic as well but I still find the really old ones fun.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I will gladly play the early games from time to time (and steal their resources). Otherwise I don't care
  • thing with sonic is that sonic is really, really ill-suited for anything plot-heavy or realism-heavy

No? No. No Sonic game has been like that since...Sonic & The Black Knight maybe?

The ones that are bad have much bigger problems than trying to be "realistic".
    Ughhhhhh

That game was not good. That game was...unfinished.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The Gameboy Advance Sonics were pretty good
    they were, yeah

playing through the third one felt kinda awkward, it felt like they were trying to strike a balance between the ALL SPEED ALL THE TIME FOREVER of the second and the more Genesis-like feel of the first
  • Anonus said:

ALL SPEED ALL THE TIME FOREVER

This phrase encapsulates why I don't like Sonic as much as I could

I know they don't all go for that feel throughout, but enough of my experience has been that way that I can't really detach Sonic from that concept
  • What, exactly, is the focus of the early Sonic games anyway?  Is it speed?  Is it spectacle?  Is it the complexity of obstacles and overcoming them by learning them?