Our screen names and why we have them

edited 2014-01-07 14:57:00 in General
Thought the other thread was this, and decided to make this when I saw it was not.

So heapers? How'd you get your screen name, or even run through a list if you have many.

Mine was GURPSer42 for a while because I loved the RPG system GURPS.

Changed to Justice because of how frickin' cool this guy is:

Tagged:

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Athbash.

If you don't understand, read a frigging book on cryptology.

Don't google it or use the internet, you cheater, do some actual work.
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again.

K E X R U C T

K E R U C T

U C T K E R

T U C K E R

The idea came from Kingdom Hearts, where certain characters that are kindasorta clones of other characters derive their names in this manner. (e.g. Sora => Roxas)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    chosen at random from Gravity's Rainbow because that book makes me happy inside
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    JHM consists of my initials. I originally chose it for a board where about half of the people just used their names anyway, and I could not think of anything better. It stuck.

"Sredni Vashtar" is a short story by Saki, of course, and a very fine one at that. I identify with Conradin for reasons that I cannot entirely place. I also rather like polecats.
  • Changed to Justice because of how frickin' cool this guy is:

What is this from?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like roads

One of my favorite parts of US 36, in Delaware, Ohio, is called William Street

But TVT already had a William (*waves to ponicalica*), so I went with an nearby road: Central Avenue!
  • "Mojave Music" is basically just good branding, since it's my stage name and has been for a while.

It was originally some convoluted metaphor about dusty hot beats, but mostly I just like how it sounds.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Aliroz said:

Don't google it or use the internet, you cheater, do some actual work.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you want me to leave the house lolololol

I am Miko because of Touhou.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Changed to Justice because of how frickin' cool this guy is:

What is this from?
    Afro Samurai.
    (2015 self)

JHM consists of my initials. I originally chose it for a board where about half of the people just used their names anyway, and I could not think of anything better. It stuck.

"Sredni Vashtar" is a short story by Saki, of course, and a very fine one at that. I identify with Conradin for reasons that I cannot entirely place. I also rather like polecats.
    No, no, you can't be JHM.
  • edited 2014-01-07 15:28:07
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ But I am! On several sites, including TVT, where I still have not been banned somehow.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My username is basically an obtuse Pokémon reference. "Professor" comes partly from Professor Oak and partly from the fact that I study biology. "Gator" comes from the fact that I like reptiles and that the Totodile family are among my favorite Pokémon.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    A tachyon is a hypothetical particle which travels faster than the speed of light, but honestly, i took the name from a character from lonelygirl15
    (2015 self)

^ But I am! On several sites, including TVT, where I still have not been banned somehow.

NO!  That's Impossible!

-jumps off huge drop-
    what are you doing, Aliroz?
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

what are you doing, Aliroz?

A Star Wars reference.
    i see.

Why?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Why not?
  • Changed to Justice because of how frickin' cool this guy is:

What is this from?
    Afro Samurai.
    Ah. Still need to watch that.

Anyway, back when I saw 14, I saw Yojimbo for the first time  and I loved the main character, but I didn't want my username to be Kuwabatake Sanjuro, so I used thenamelesssamurai as an indirect reference and the name stuck.

Why not?

an acceptable answer
  • Well, mine are both relatively simple: Tre is my IRL nickname and Quip/Equipment is a counterpart to fellow heap/troper Tools (of Destruction).

I'm boring.
  • edited 2014-01-07 16:35:48
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Bobby is my IRL name

a8 is meaningless and i can't remember how i decided on it

Fourier was after a dead French physicist, Fouria G was my personalized version of the same

the Jabberwock is a creature described in a poem in Alice Through the Looking-Glass

Khwarizmi was after al-Khwārizmī, who invented modern algebra

Stab-Copper-in-the-Face was a tongue-in-cheek bit of rebellious nonsense, Stabby was an abbreviation of the same

Taylor Mill was a reference to Harriet Taylor Mill, feminist philosopher and wife of John Stuart Mill

tachyon-time is just what i called my tumblr because tachyon was taken

Booby G was in response to people spelling my name wrong all the time

a Martello was a fort, Fast Eddie was a character from The Hustler, the Shichibukai are a group of pirates from One-Piece, and nautatrol is, as i hoped was obvious, a reference to both nautiluses and Homestuck
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Shichibukai are a group of pirates from One-Piece

Shicihbukai!

• edited 2014-01-07 16:27:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

Khwarizmi was after al-Khwārizmī, who invented modern algebra

I think that's my favourite of your many aliases.

Also, secretly Martello, Shichibukai and Fast Eddie? My god, how do you keep up with the court dates?
  • edited 2014-01-07 16:42:47

I related to the concept story for quite a bit, and it establishes that I have a 60's music fetish
  • Yarrun's taken from The Circle of Magic series. It's original owner was called "Yarrun Firetamer", a somewhat petty man whose one claim to fame was control over fire magic (leading to his last name). He had a job as official fire-tamer for a rural town, making sure that fires wouldn't go out of control. But there was a three-year drought, and through his stubbornness and refusal to rely on others, he overexerted himself and died trying to snuff out one of the biggest fires in that world's history.

I picked the name 9 years ago because it sounded cool, the same reason that I picked 'mace' (I was actually thinking of a flail, but the name I knew for it was mace). Now, I think the similarities between me and the Firetamer are a bit more...pungent, perhaps.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I once wrote a Star Wars parody. One of the jokes involved the Darth Vader analogue slapping random suffixes on a word until it turned into a trainwreck: "Are you implying you don't like my swing? My swingitude? My swingitudinosity? My swingitudinositaceousness?" The punchline, such as it was, comes later in the same scene, where he makes an incomprehensible metaphor, then angrily declares "Oh, now you don't like my metaphoragizery either!"

That parody fell by the wayside, but for some reason the word "metaphoragizery" stuck with me, and I decided to make that (or variations on it) my online handle. Meta4 was the variation I used at TV Tropes—I could have just as easily gone with Mezzaphor or Metaphizzle instead. Then I changed that to Meta Four because that was easier to type (owing to the way TVT handled two-word links vs one-word links).
  • Mine is from Homestuck and kinda o8vious.

During Octo8er I was Medusa, of Greek mythology and also kinda o8vious.

On TVT I'm "Ozbourne" which is something a friend decided to re-name me to a while ago, and I liked it so I used it as a username in various places.
  • edited 2014-01-07 18:00:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    "Section" was just a name that I thought sounded cool. "42" obviously came from H2G2, and "L" came from Death Note.

FWIW, I was 16 when I came up with this username.
    (2015 self)

"Section" was just a name that I thought sounded cool. "42" obviously came from H2G2, and "L" came from Death Note.

FWIW, I was 16 when I came up with this username.
    I think it's cool.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Myrmidon is a word that a lot of writers use to refer to many different things, generally relating to ants or soldiers.

As for Odradek, well, some say the word Odradek is of Slavonic origin, and try to account for it on that basis. Others again believe it to be of German origin, only influenced by Slavonic. The uncertainty of both interpretations allows one to assume with justice that neither is accurate, especially as neither of them provides an intelligent meaning of the word.
    No one, of course, would occupy himself with such studies if there were not a creature called Odradek.

At first glance it looks like a flat star-shaped spool for thread, and indeed it does seem to have thread wound upon it; to be sure, they are only old, broken-off bits of thread, knotted and tangled together, of the most varied sorts and colors. But it is not only a spool, for a small wooden crossbar sticks out of the middle of the star, and another small rod is joined to that at a right angle. By means of this latter rod on one side and one of the points of the star on the other, the whole thing can stand upright as if on two legs.
    One is tempted to believe that the creature once had some sort of intelligible shape and is now only a broken-down remnant. Yet this does not seem to be the case; at least there is no sign of it; nowhere is there an unfinished or unbroken surface to suggest anything of the kind; the whole thing looks senseless enough, but in its own way perfectly finished. In any case, closer scrutiny is impossible, since Odradek is extraordinarily nimble and can never be laid hold of.

He lurks by turns in the garret, the stairway, the lobbies, the entrance hall. Often for months on end he is not to be seen; then he has presumably moved into other houses; but he always comes faithfully back to our house again. Many a time when you go out of the door and he happens just to be leaning directly beneath you against the banisters you feel inclined to speak to him. Of course, you put no difficult questions to him, you treat him--he is so diminutive that you cannot help it--rather like a child. "Well, what's your name?" you ask him. "Odradek," he says. "And where do you live?" "No fixed abode," he says and laughs; but it is only the kind of laughter that has no lungs behind it. It sounds rather like the rustling of fallen leaves. 

And that is usually the end of the conversation. Even these anwers are not always forthcoming; often he stays mute for a long time, as wooden as his appearance.
    I ask myself, to no purpose, what is likely to happen to him? Can he possibly die? Anything that dies has had some kind of aim in life, some kind of activity, which has worn out; but that does not apply to Odradek. Am I to suppose, then, that he will always be rolling down the stairs, with ends of thread trailing after him, right before the feet of my children, and my children's children? He does no harm to anyone that one can see; but the idea that he is likely to survive me I find almost painful.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I love Kafka.
    (2015 self)

I love Kafka.

I love Kafka.

I love Kafka.

• Had an email: Floridacounter, two words chosen at random, had to drop onpe word to post on sites, dropped Florida and picked clock, purely on random.

the pun is unintended.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    i remember sometime, somewhere, in a land far away, i used the screen name "deathonabun" for a reason that is long forgotten and it has stuck with me since

until, of course, i entered into tvtropes and started getting entangled with that crew

naturally, a name that ends with "bun" makes "bunny" a very easy nickname

so here i am
  • I can't not hear "death on a bun" to the tune and cadence of "Ed on a Pig", a la Ed Edd N Eddy.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll never tell you where "Krrackknut" comes from. It's dumb and foolish and reveals more than I am comfortable with.

"Kraken" is a corruption of the above, a Norse sea monster. I was becoming preoccupied with sea monsters at the time.

"Lin Chong" is the name of one of the outlaws in Water Margin, who was referred to as the "Panther's Head". A former imperial army officer and combat instructor who was driven to exile by a petty noble with a grudge.

"King Crackers" has an actual story behind it. Back in the day, Nova showed her younger cousin Phoebe the #yackfest channel. She introduced each of us, and "Kraken" was pronounced as "Crackers". And while I really liked it, I felt a need to alliterate, and so I added a "King" to it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've always been horrible at coming up with screen names, and the one I use now is no exception: it was actually coined by the computers at eBay when they decided that having people use their email addresses as user IDs probably wasn't a good idea. (I've since changed my eBay ID.) 

Back in Animaniacs fandom, I was "WakkyMse"...I nicked the name from a joke character—the "If they did it"-esque spawn of Wakko Warner and Minnie Mouse—someone spotted on a WBA staffer's wall during an open house back in 1995 (which, being a poor high school student at the time, I only even heard about a year after the fact). Oddly enough, it kind of fit how I felt about myself at the time: Awkward, of a provenance I wasn't terribly proud of (all of my kin are from somewhere in the Tug River Valley area), and kind of a joke. :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Guess I might as well mention my other name, Dirty Pillows, which is from a line in Carrie...

also
    I have a 60's music fetish
    this is a great thing to have!
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Had an email: Floridacounter, two words chosen at random, had to drop onpe word to post on sites, dropped Florida and picked clock, purely on random.

the pun is unintended.

A mystery solved at last. ^_^ I used to think it was a reference to Flandre Scarlet.
  • edited 2014-01-08 01:18:56

chosen also because the things i say are, of course, inane and also because i was 14 or so and was quite sure that a good username on the internet had to have numbers in it somewhere

more recently:

• so i guess all that's really changes is that my taste in music has improved some because damn that KMFDM track sounds stale

Front 242 still sounds fresh 'n funky tho
  • kill living beings
    i like salt
  • Acererak was from the official Dungeons and Dragons campaign called Tomb of Horrors, a campaign notorious for killing many a Lawful Good character and destroying many a DM's reputation.
  • Miko said:

Had an email: Floridacounter, two words chosen at random, had to drop onpe word to post on sites, dropped Florida and picked clock, purely on random.

the pun is unintended.

A mystery solved at last. ^_^ I used to think it was a reference to Flandre Scarlet.
    I thought she was jokingly implying she was "not wise".
  • Somehow I feel like my name's inadequate now, like I'm a strange one for not having something esoteric and cool

i mean, mine is literally just "three" in various Romantic languages, but Anglicized

that's it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    At least you share a name with the drummer from Green Day! :P
  • yes, but he's Tre Cool

by comparison I'm Tre Average
  • or Trevor Whatevr, as the case may be