Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• Are you sure you're getting a proper scientific analasys of it? and even if you are it seems like your still using blanket catagorization.
  • It's a generalization, but with the implication that there are exceptions.
  • edited 2012-01-19 11:16:34
    8luh 8luh.
    Yes, and I as a YF regular who does not post in OTC was wondering if you were including me in your 8lanket st8ment.

I don't 8elieve I am missing any sort of point. I just wanted to know if I was one of the people who came off this way, since I really don't mean to.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Yes, and I as a YF regular who does not post in OTC was wondering if you were including me in your 8lanket st8ment.

No, you're not in that blanket statement
  • Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.
  • You don't mock people from OTC even though you've expressed your disinterest, which is perfectly OK. Not being interested in a subforum where discussion is often times 

"Hello, ladies, look at your opinons, then look at mine. Look at your opinions then back to mine. Sadly, those aren't mine. But if he starts adding rape apologia scented tones to their post, those opinions could sound like they were mine. Now look down, back up, where are you? You're on a boat with the person whose opinions could be just like yours. What's in your hand, back at me, what do I have? It's an oyster with two posts defending those things you hate. Look again! The posts are now thumps! Everything's possible when your opinions smell like racism and not like reason. I'm on a muslim"

...yeah, i need sleep or something, i dunno.
  • ....Dude, if we had a "Made of Forum Win" thread, that would go on it.
  • I just almost spit coffee all over my computer.
  • Juan wins the Internet.
  • Already claimed it 35 minutes ago.
  • edited 2012-01-20 17:33:05
    TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    I should note:
    Loid posted a PM he got from a newbie. The PM itself was pretty innocuous, mostly complaining about parents. Which every teenager has done at some point. He was of course, mocked, this is a bunch of goon wannabes we're talking about after all.
    He wanted to kill his parents. Stop taking things out of context and trying to spin them to make them good examples for yourself. Oh, and it's funny because, before I reminded them that he wanted to kill his parents, they also said, "Hey, that's not too bad," too.
  • where did that quote come from
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • He wanted to kill his parents. Stop taking things out of context and trying to spin them to make them good examples for yourself. Oh, and it's funny because, before I reminded them that he wanted to kill his parents, they also said, "Hey, that's not too bad," too.

I didn't care very much what the PM said, I care that you posted one on a public forum.

Maybe I just have privacy issues, or something.

Still I will apologize for assuming bad intent. I'm just not sure what exactly posting said PM accomplishes.

It bugs me that nobody bothers to keep PM content private.  You can get banned for that on TVT.
  • edited 2012-01-20 19:16:12

^Really?

That isn't mentioned in The Rules.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Not here it isn't.
  • They are called Private Messages for a reason. Just throwing that out there.

I realize that there are cases where exceptions need to be made for that (eg. Made Of Meat and her....issues, with Affy), but I don't think that this was really one of them.

In honesty, I'm trying to stop caring about TVT and BTL and etc. so I guess it's a moot point.

I really need to stop checking this thread. In fact, is there an ignore thread option of some sort?

• Willpower is a wonderful ignore option.

Also: I love this place not being TVT.
    Somebody may have whipped one up for Vanilla, I don't know.
  • TVT seems ok now that I don't worry about getting banned or not.
    There are circumstances when it's OK so there's not really a definite rule, but I'd have thought it was obvious that posting a PM publically for people to laugh at constituted dickery.  Like Superglobe says, it's in the name.

Point being, if Lucas had done that on TVT it would have gotten at least a thump and a warning.
  • edited 2012-01-20 19:23:01

Hickory Dickery Dock,

The mouse ran up the clock.

The clock struck one,

The mouse ran down!

Hickory Dickery Dock.

(*Ahem*)

• Learn some self control.

But that's haaaard.

Also I sometimes accidentally click on threads.

Okay I'm going to make an active attempt to drop this line of conversation now.

I have more important things to be doing anyway. Like figuring out how Magic The Gathering works.

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    If you post in this thread one more time I shall spam your PM with pictures of a fat old man with big hairy moobs.

And it would be because I care.
    Somehow my attachment to the site has waned. I no longer feel a need to go back.
  • edited 2012-01-21 01:49:21
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ¿Did anything cause this newfound lack of attachment or did it come out of nowhere?

As awful as it sounds, I pretty new I wasn't staying as soon as IJBM got nuked (actually a bit after, about when I realized Yack Fest wasn't really a suitable replacement, but same thing). It was only a matter of time.
    I'm staying.  I've had my doubts about the project, but I think it's still something worthwhile, at least potentially.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ¿Project? ¿Are you talking about BTL?
    The Wiki.

I'm actually wondering if I should join BTL now that they got rid of the threads mocking tropers and comparing staff members to totalitarian dictators.  A part of me thinks that might be a very bad idea, though.  IDK.  I know I won't enjoy it there, but that's not really the point in it.
    No, they like you.
  • edited 2012-01-21 02:02:32
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I daresay (some of?) them do, but that's not really what I'd be worried about.

I don't like being moaned at.  I don't like fucking up, and I'm aware that I've fucked up a lot in the past and I'd like to stop, but I don't enjoy being put on the spot and made to defend policies I never set, and I don't like the feeling that I'm being pressured to act in a particular way when BTL represents only a subset of the community.

And I don't like hearing the other staff attacked, either.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^^I wouldn't.

^I doubt that would be a problem.
    Even so.

Do you mean you personally wouldn't enjoy BTL, or are you saying I shouldn't join it?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Somehow my attachment to the site has waned. I no longer feel a need to go back.
    This seems to be happening to me, too.

I have poked in from time to time to entertain the thought of posting in the LGBT thread to talk to Haldo or Kegi or someone, but the few times I've looked those people haven't been around and I lack the interest to refresh the page constantly like I used to.
  • I kinda alternate between liking and hating BTL every few minutes, seems like.
    I haven't liked most of what I've seen of it, but I've been linked to some posts there that seemed pretty reasonable so I don't think it's all bad.
  • I guess I like a hypothetical version where it's all the best parts of it, all the time. It's improved recently, though, with the ban on specific troper threads.
  • The problem with BTL is, I think, an assumption about TVT's problems.

Concept-wise, TVT is good, but it tends to be misused (*See Trope Speak in a good 75% of atrocious fanfic*) and the lack of notability combined with a change in the editorial demographic appears to be slowly corroding the value of the articles.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For some reason I feel kinda apathetic toward BTL.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I like BTL.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I like BTL as well.
  • edited 2012-01-21 02:13:44
    I think a lot of the problems with TVT (including the much-criticised bigotry, for the most part) stem from anti-intellectualism, or at least distrust of the arts and humanities and in some cases the social sciences.  And no, I'm not just talking about Deboss.

That's a personal pet peeve, though, so take that with a pinch of salt.
  • I do find it odd that anti-intellectualism is so prevalent on TV Tropes, of all things.
  • edited 2012-01-21 02:14:44
    I don't find it surprising, given that it's a pop-culture-heavy wiki mostly populated by Internet geeks.

I do find it annoying.
  • edited 2012-01-21 02:16:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I always found it strange, too.
  • edited 2012-01-21 02:16:57
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Do you mean you personally wouldn't enjoy BTL, or are you saying I shouldn't join it?

The former. Also,

For some reason I feel kinda apathetic toward BTL.

^TVTropes is more geeky / dorky than nerdy.
    Can you clarify the difference between geeky and nerdy?
  • Also: If people are afraid of the moderation, you're doing it wrong.
This discussion has been closed.