Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• I miss it so much Bobby.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I don't miss it..at least not anymore.
  • You don't know what your not missing.
  • You ain't missing much.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It's a positive thing for me, I still enjoy interacting with people and posting the odd story that crosses my mind.

There have been times where it wasn't but adjusting my posting habits fixed that. 
  • Justice is a tr00 br0

*br0fist*

I should go to sleep now, shouldn't I?

• edited 2012-01-19 03:41:29
    Just where does all that "TVT is a cesspit of racism and sexism" comes from, I wonder? It never been my impression. I don't know, maybe it comes from being accustomed to different (and, unfortunately, less progressive) standards, but when I've joined, I've been surprised by just how anti-racist, pro-homosexuality, anti-sexist this board is. Sure, there might be tasteless jokes and memes, but in every serious discussion I've been educated, harshly, about white privilege, rape culture and so on. Blast it, one of the reasons I liked the fora is that my own non gender-normative views were accepted there. 

That is not to say that there weren't occasional posts and posters, but it never seemed like an overall trend to me. I remember some people considering OTC "left-liberal circle-jerk", and while I did not agree with it then (I might, now), I can see how they could get that impression. The  culture of TVT as a whole looked remarkably unbigoted to me.

Although, of course, that might have something to do with different expectations.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I think think it is an overall trend, there simply are occasional posts and posters and the fora is probably slightly more forgiving of such things than other areas on the inter-tubes.
  • I won't deny TVT has pro8lems, whether it 8e with some not gr8 decisions, some of the site mem8ers, or whatever, 8ut I think I'd find that pretty much anywhere I go online there will 8e things I question and people I dislike, and as long as I still have people there who I do like and there hasn't 8een some huge radical decision I disagree with (like some really a8surd rule or appointment to staff of someone questiona8le), I'll still 8e around the forums. Might not 8ranch too far out of Yack Fest, Roleplaying, and lurking a couple threads elsewhere, 8ut I'll 8e around. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I agree with Justice.

As to "left-liberal circle-jerk" (by "some people" you mean Rott and Kino, yes?), I do think it is a bit of one, with the exceptions of a few prominent extremists, and (in fairness), some reasonable and civil right-wing tropers as well.  But I think, well, I'm sure I'm biased, but I'd rather it be a left-liberal circle-jerk than a haven for bigots, who have been tolerated far too much there.  If the forum is supposed to be a friendly community hangout, then I think tolerating racists undermines that.

But yes, I always liked how accepting the forum was of gender non-normativity, and there are no plans to change that.

And I have learned a fair bit from the site that was definitely for the better (although I could have learned the same information elsewhere).
  • Yes TVT has been an invaluable edu cational aid for me in the past as well. Genre Savy Guide, So You Want To, Useful Notes.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I remember some people considering OTC "left-liberal circle-jerk", and while I did not agree with it then (I might, now),

Only because the Right in the United States has shifted so far to the right that even European Right wingers will appear to be on the left for them
  • Let's not go there Whale. Please.
    That's as may be Whale, but AFAIK most people in OTC are from the USA.

And Republican-supporter ≠ bigot.
  • edited 2012-01-19 09:48:43
    I think the terms "right-wing" and "Republican" (large R usually) Have kind of devolved in to slurs and people pay too much weight to party lines.

EDIT: But this is ju st m y opinion if osmeone ow uld like me to remove it I would be glad to do so.
    @Fourier:

I never said they were a bigot, I was just making a point I have observed. The people who say such things tend to be Republican supporters.
  • Since this is in Talk and not General can we take this to a new thread?
    With regards to America vs Europe, I agree with tnu.

But with regards to OTC, I don't think the observation that it mostly leans left-liberal is inaccurate, even by Western European standards.
  • Just take it easy Fourier these sorts of things can turn in to flame wars really quickly.
    I'm feeling very calm.  I'm talking about OTC.

Funny thing; threads about OTC tend to almost invariably turn into OTC-style threads of the most tiresome sort.  It happened (briefly) on SA once, which I found amusing.
  • Oh that's funny. Just sayign to be careful man I know wht OTC threads are like.
  • edited 2012-01-19 10:07:05

In order to be an OTC thread it has to be in, y'know, OTC. I think everyone here is quite calm.
  • Sorry just paranoid. Things looked like they were going to get ugly.
    OTC threads are usually fairly calm.  They're mostly flammable, rather than in flames, up until somebody chucks a lit match into them.

I suspect this is one reason why the communities of YF and OTC have such differing perceptions of the board.
  • The problem is it's often hard to tell what a "lit match" is. it varies between individuals.
  • It;s pretty difficult to get me mad.
  • Not even going to try.
  • Good. BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANNA GET ME MAD.

....How did I ever get that reputation?
    I will say this, there is a tendency for yack fest regulars to act in a superior manner when it comes to the OTC and OTC posters
  • That Whale I agree with you on. Yack Fest was nice. OTC was just unpleasent.
  • edited 2012-01-19 10:32:59
    I will say this, there is a tendency for yack fest regulars to act in a superior manner when it comes to the OTC and OTC 
    You mean that in a forum that is divided in separate areas appealing to different interests, nerds are mocking other nerds for not being interested in what the first group is interested?

no way

ETA: Blah blah i suck at english
  • That's where Cliques get confusing. You ever try to get two nerd cliques to agree?

You mean that in a forum that is divided in separate areas
    appealing to different areas, nerds are mocking each other nerds for not
    being interested in what the first group is interested?

Sorry, I didn't phrase that as well as I thought. The People who only go to YF tend to mock and be elitist pricks to people who post in both the YF and the OTC.

• Cool it Whale. I don't like OTC either but that's taking it a bit far don'tyou think?
    I am cool though :P
  • I'm just advising caution.
    I think the "YF is just hugs, navel-gazing, idiocy and shitposting" meme is about as common and entrenched as the "OTC is just flaming, irrationality, idiocy and bigotry" one.

If more people posted on both boards maybe we'd see less of that, not sure.
  • Is this going to turn in to a discussion of which board is better?
  • Not really, no. Although I tolerate YF way more than OTC, fwiw.

But my point is that both subforums tend to get a lot of hate. Hell, I remember that there was a time when most users considered OTC to be incredibly smarter than YF, if only because it appeared to be smarter due to the topics it tackled. 

Of course, now that the goons have taken to pick quotes from OTC, anyone and everyone who reads that thread can see how far from the truth that is.
    ^

Dude, I've been lurking that thread and the material from the OTC is getting thinner whereas the material from Writers Block and YF is getting longer.
  • The w hole SA thign makes me nervous. It seems too similar to somethign that would be done on Conservapedia.
  • Dude, I've been lurking that thread and the material from the OTC is getting thinner whereas the material from Writers Block and YF is getting longer.
    you sure do seem to be missing my points a lot today, whale.

what i'm saying is that the appeareance of OTC as an hyper intellectual forum has pretty much been shattered after the SA thread made the rounds around the TvT userbase. Not that it continues to be utterly retarded.
    you sure do seem to be missing my points a lot today, whale.

I'm suffering from a slight sleep deprivation.
  • I heard sleep helps with that kinda stuff
  • I go in YF 8ut not OTC. Do I come off as an "elitist prick"?

Sorry, not a fan of 8lanket st8ments.
  • I have to agree with Vriska on this one. It seems li ke a lot of blanket statements are being used even just on this page. Something about it seems dishonest.
    I go in YF 8ut not OTC. Do I come off as an "elitist prick"?

Thats missing the point
  • Then what exactly is the point of

The People who only go to YF tend to mock and be elitist pricks to people who post in both the YF and the OTC.

that I'm missing?
    I go in YF 8ut not OTC. Do I come off as an "elitist prick"?

The People who only go to YF tend to mock and be elitist pricks to people who post in both the YF and the OTC.

Its been observed that people in the YF are mocking certain tropers who post in the OTC and the YF.
This discussion has been closed.