The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • so there's this homestuck fan i'm following on tumblr and i thought this was funny and somebody would wanna see this i dunno i wrote this post so might as well post it

a group of friends consisting of 4 main characters

they jump between dimensions

thousands of characters die 

the rest of humanity is wiped out

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lee4hmz said:
    Okay, they have been read.

Well

I didn't think there'd be a part of Homestuck more lewd than the Mindfang softcore diary thing.

But

Wow, that made me uncomfortable. I need a shower, or bleach. Or both.
    I really, really wish Vanilla would let me embed Blip here (and I swear I'll fix that eventually).
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Shouldn't spying on Roxy be impossible anyway?  I'm a little puzzled.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Well, he's not using Trollian, but the magic transmitter on Earth.

I believe Andrew Hussie basically stated the transmitter is designed to pierce all the stuff that usually clouds out the ability to see certain people or certain conditions, etc...
  • edited 2012-12-07 16:33:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ah, thanks.  Must have overlooked that I guess.
    Rather ominous.

Hope they get it working again soon.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Yarrun said:

And she's a joke of a character, frankly

Am I the only one that thinks Damara is really cool?
    I highly doubt it.

I thought she seemed like a shallow ethnic stereotype with no interesting traits whatsoever, but I'm trying to withold judgement until she actually does something.  I'd be very surprised if that's the last we see of her.
  • edited 2012-12-07 20:56:12
    Yes and no.  Saying that was Damara is like saying that the Sufferer is the same as Kankri, or that the Mindfang who wrote that journal is the same as Aranea.  Technically they are the same and of course there are similarities, but they had very different upbringings and they don't necessarily behave the same way as one another.
  • It makes me wonder, though. Why is it that only post-scratch Damara got a sprite, even though none of the other post-scratch dancesctors did?

I find Damara entertaining, but she is a rather shallow character.

Not that Hussie intended for her or most of the Alpha trolls to have a ton of depth.
  • Keep in mind, Homestuck has such well-developed characters that even one with as detailed a backstory and motivations and whatnot as Damara can still be considered comparatively shallow.
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:02:40
    Justice42 said:

Not that Hussie intended for her or most of the Alpha trolls to have a ton of depth.

Also a good point.

I find some of them more interesting than others.  I think they all have the potential for at least a reasonable level of depth, given proper development and sufficient attention.

Which is not to say that focusing on them would necessarily be the best plan; from a narrative standpoint I don't think it would be.
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:03:59
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^She does have a decent back-story going for her.

Though, she'd be more interesting if she did any more than "Fuck you, let's get high and fuck", but she might be less entertaining that way, so I'm not actually complaining, per se.
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:06:50
    Kexruct said:

Keep in mind, Homestuck has such well-developed characters that even one with as detailed a backstory and motivations and whatnot as Damara can still be considered comparatively shallow.

Homestuck characters are largely a combination of superficial traits (quirks, subcultures, weird affectations) with their personalities gradually emerging from those over time.  Said personalities can be extremely detailed and there are a lot of good HS characters, but it's not a series I'd particularly single out for depth of characterization.

And I would consider Damara a shallow character in most stories, assuming she was intended to be a major character, which of course she may well not be.
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:07:52
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    When was pot-smoking and sexual assertiveness a Japanese stereotype?

Also, where can I go to find women who exhibit these traits with such frequency that it has developed into a stereotype?
  • Fouria G said:

Kexruct said:

Homestuck characters are largely a combination of superficial traits (quirks, subcultures, weird affectations) with their personalities gradually emerging from those over time. 

So, in other words, teenagers?
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:09:30
    ^^ They weren't, they're supposed to show how far off the rails she's gone.

^ Nice, but no, I'm talking about how their characterization is approached.  I'm not saying it's a bad approach, it isn't.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well, I think it's weird to call her a stereotype when the most notable aspects of her personality have nothing to do with the stereotype.
  • Fouria G said:

^ Nice, but no, I'm talking about how their characterization is approached.  I'm not saying it's a bad approach, it isn't.

It was a joke. I understood what you meant.
  • edited 2012-12-07 21:17:11
    Kexruct said:

It was a joke. I understood what you meant.

Ah, sorry about that.
    Gelzo said:

Well, I think it's weird to call her a stereotype when the most notable aspects of her personality have nothing to do with the stereotype.

I don't see how that's weird when everything else about her has such obvious overtones of ethnic stereotyping.  And when the "sexual assertiveness" is just her saying crude non-sequiturs in machine-translated faux Japanese, which barely even qualifies as dialogue, much less personality.

Not that I think Hussie is racist, I hasten to add.  He was more likely going for an anime parody.
  • Okay, I'm pretty much done with tumblr homestuck fans.

Everytime I go into that upd8 tag, someone's turning into an emotional wreck. I'm fed up with it. For reasons.

So, Jane's still being put through the gauntlet of tears. Discuss.
  • edited 2012-12-09 07:07:28
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Caliborn's full-blown psychotic perversion is hilarious and immensely distressing. 
    I am concerned for Jane's dad.

I know his death was foreshadowed a while back, but John's dad was always my favourite Guardian.  I don't like how he seems to always get the short end of the stick, even after Jane, Dirk, Roxy and Jake became main characters.
  • Thinking about it, Caliborn mentioning that he saw Dad in Derse's prison might be setting the stage for him to burst in and save Roxy.
    Ooh, good point.

Somehow I managed to forget Roxy was even on Derse.  I am not on the ball. ^_^;

imageimageimage
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Dad is the best. The very best.

Also I think as a rule, Guardians tend to get the short end of the stick.
    That's true, but Dad is also the only one not to have been given a name or proper dialogue in any incarnation.

And he is the best.
  • Don't you mean...

MANstique?

B)

• I shall become more involved in this thread once I have caught up fully and feel I have a solid handle on events.

So about by Wednesday.

• I shall become more involved in this thread once I have caught up fully and feel I have a solid handle on events.

So about by Wednesday.

You know, you're the fastest Homestuck reader that I've ever met.

The second-fastest being AHR, and the third-fastest being myself.
  • It took me 3 or 4 days, and that was around November of 2010.

AHR did it in about the same time, and that was shortly after Gamzee killed Nepeta

The timing never decreases. It's just that there's more material to slog through.
  • Justice42 said:

Dave, too. But I'm not as surprised at that.

Karkat being very high is pretty interesting though. I don't DISLIKE Karkat, or anything, but I'm not sure what the appeal is. I mean, he certainly has a bit more depth then the avatar of screamed obscenities he usually behaves as, but it doesn't seem like that comes up really often or anything.
    Late response, but at least for me the appeal I find in Karkat is similar to why I like Deadpool comics (well, the stuff written by Joe Kelly, Gail Simone, Fabian Nicieza. Can't say I was all that enthused with Way's run on Deadpool). Not to say that Karkat is on the same scale as Deadpool, with Karkat just being an shouty ass from time to time, and Deadpool being psychotic killer but it's those little moments that are few and far between that really endear the character to me. I really want them to jump that final hurdle and overcome their flaws as people and become the hero/be a better person. And then they stumble and fall and you're disappointed that they couldn't make the hurdle, but you keep hoping because you can see some good underneath the flaws.
    "We're not going to attack?"

"I have orders from the Empress herself; she has something special planned. We only need to keep them from escaping..."

If you've seen Return of the Jedi, you know how well that went.
  • It took me about a month and a half to catch up with Homestuck, I think. I took a few short breaks though. I remember I got to Jade's introduction on my first day reading it.

The article covers the usual tedious politics surrounding the negotiation of his release. After weeks of posturing and grandstanding, Prospit's terms have been bargained down to a polite apology, signed by the Condesce herself. Or those were the terms you were last aware of. You check to see if there have been any further developments. Yeah, just as you thought. She refused those terms. Prospit then countered with a new offer. The apology no longer has to be polite. 

Just wanted to copy/paste this 'cause it's awesome.
  • edited 2012-12-10 17:07:45

So I wanna see if I can get this straight:

Vriska made John fall asleep before he could prototype Jade's kernelsprite, so Becquerel jumped in and prototyped himself with the kernelsprite. Then because Jack Noir was wearing the ring that belonged to the Black Queen in the Kid's session, which causes him to gain the powers of whatever the kids prototype the kernelsprites with (*Is Bec the kid's equivalent of Doc Scratch? I'm fuzzy on this*), he becomes an invincible dog demon who kills Dave's bro, and then somehow (*could someone explain this to me?*) he ends up being sent to the Troll's session right before they win?

Is that all right? Close?
  • Yeah. Doc Scratch and Bec are both their respective worlds' Guardians. IIRC, I don't think it's entirely clear how Jack got to the Troll's session yet.