Being a Christian doesn’t mean you have to be anti-science. I do believe in The Big Bang Theory

13»

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    corn is no place for a mighty warrior
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    But corn is great at fighting

There are plenty of great corn colonels

HAW HAW
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    HAW HAW IS THE LAUGH OF THE DEVIL, IMI

YOU MUST REPENT
    This thread went somewhere weird
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-12-01 00:49:42
    knew that frakker had to have figured it out from somewhere
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Sheldon Cooper without the qualifications and intelligence is how I imagined the average tv troper was.

YNTKT.

Also, the show is only funny if you think its about taking the piss out of everything,
  • Sheldon Cooper without the qualifications and intelligence is how I imagined the average tv troper was.

"durr hurr tvtropes" is not funny anymore.

I question whether or not it ever was, but it certainly isn't funny now.

• edited 2012-12-01 10:00:14
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Sheldon Cooper without the qualifications and intelligence is how I imagined the average tv troper was.

Thats why I said the word "imagined".

I dont care about tropers now
  • Sheldon Cooper without the qualifications and intelligence is how I imagined the average tv troper was.

Thats why I said the word "imagined".

I dont care about tropers now

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Oh yeah this was the show that was the subject of NERD CULTURE APPROPRIATION 

the 2010's will go down in history as the decade where everyone got to be special and/or a victim
  • everyone was always special

but some people were specialer than others
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-12-01 17:42:27

everyone was always special

which really just meant no one was
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • People who randomly throw around the word hipster are the worst kind of people
    what are the qualifications for hipster, though?

here's what I've been made to understand:

• wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with cartoon characters from the 70's/80's/90's
    • Deco glasses
    • scraggly transparent facial hair that doesn't make the wearer look a day over their actual age or convey any sense of wisdom or style
    • fedora or other throwback headwear
    • fedora or other throwback headwear with cartoon t-shirt and cargo pants/shorts
    • having an LP player, owning rare/old LPs, constantly discussing their superior sound reproduction, never listening to them unless someone is visiting
    • willing to pay $100 per foot for speaker cable to listen to scratched-up old LPs
    • paying $45 for a t-shirt at the mall store that's weathered to look old
    • paying $45 for a t-shirt at the mall store that's weathered to look old that has 70's/80's/90's cartoon characters or a company logo emblazoned on it
    • wearing a tie with any kind of button-up shirt
    • willing to discuss Descartes or Optimus Prime in the middle of any conversation

...that's all I can think off off the top of my head
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

• wearing a tie with any kind of button-up shirt
    Wait, what?
    • fedora or other throwback headwear with cartoon t-shirt and cargo pants/shorts

isnt this more 'horrible nerd' than 'hipster'

that said the word hipster literally has no meaning, so.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I know this makes me sound stupid but do brand logo shirts that don't look weathered even exist?

I kind of want logo shirts but wouldn't really wear them in public unless they were my ampersand tees...
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Well malls have stores where you can get a logo added to any shirt.

I've thought about doing this with the Superman logo and blue silk long johns. :P

Gilda said:

Wait, what?

sunn wolf said:

isnt this more 'horrible nerd' than 'hipster'

that said the word hipster literally has no meaning, so.

two birds one stone

Gilda: This

sunn wolf: You're right. I stand corrected
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    When I saw the thread title and number of posts, I thought maybe there was some sort of shitstorm over someone being stupid.
  • Just look at pages one and two.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Oh yeah this was the show that was the subject of NERD CULTURE APPROPRIATION 

I am the kind of person he was talking about during the "shut your eyes and imagine" bit, and I'm afraid that video really grated.  I was never part of a punk-style counterculture, I liked games, but most of the other geeks/nerds I knew were judgemental, clique-obsessed, and continually looking to put people down for not having the right interests.

Also the comparison of the commodification of Native American culture to the growing popularity of video games there was really crass.
    sunn wolf said:

the word hipster literally has no meaning

I thought it meant somebody who looks down on you because you like things that are popular?

Although I never got how you were supposed to be able to identify an elitist snob by what kind of glasses they wore.
  • edited 2012-12-02 17:54:07
    Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Also the comparison of the commodification of Native American culture to the growing popularity of video games there was really crass.
    Crass, insulting, and completely ignorant. One of the notions he parroted in this video was that Native American life portrayed as a "warrior culture" was a harmful or hateful stereotype which shows what an ignorant twat this guy really is. There's a reason why the US Military has named attack vehicles like "Comanche", "Apache", and "Blackhawk." Several US Navy ships bear/have beared the names of several Native American war chiefs, like the USS Geronimo and USS Red Cloud, and that's because at one time those tribes and those names inspired pants-shitting terror among everyone.  Native Americans to this day are still very proud of this legacy, and many carry on a warrior culture -- the US Marines, for instance, is an approved way for many Native Americans in both the United States and Canada to go earn their warrior feather. 
  • Well, a culture is a very complex thing, and simplifying it into a handful of concepts, even if those concepts are seen as positive, seems kinda patronizing to me.
  • edited 2012-12-02 18:04:52
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Plus, you know...Native Americans murdered the shit out of each-other...

Well, a culture is a very complex thing, and simplifying it into a handful of concepts, even if those concepts are seen as positive, seems kinda patronizing to me.

In any case, the US government went and conferred with these tribes and peoples for approval before they went off naming things.  They didn't go ahead without their input or approval and make a decision on their behalf like pushing the notion that Native American life was like Disney's Pocahontas like this crying nerd did. 
  • edited 2012-12-02 18:13:16

Well then I guess that's ok then.

Honestly I would have agreed with most of what he had said if he toned it down a bunch and dropped that terrible metaphor.
  • edited 2012-12-02 21:40:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Well, a culture is a very complex thing, and simplifying it into a handful of concepts, even if those concepts are seen as positive, seems kinda patronizing to me.

This, plus as Justice's post implies, they aren't even just the one culture, but rather an entire ethnic group.

I'd hope nobody means to hold up Pocahontas as a shining example of cultural sensitivity, in any case.

Well then I guess that's ok then.

Honestly I would have agreed with most of what he had said if he toned it down a bunch and dropped that terrible metaphor.
    I can understand why somebody might feel the way he does, but, I dunno, it's hard to explain.  I don't like how he goes on about there being two ways a person might turn out after being ostracized through their entire school life.  He doesn't speak for me and I wish he wouldn't presume to try.

I could elaborate but I'm not sure where to even begin.  Suffice to say the attitude in that video really bothers me.  He's just feeding into precisely the kind of culture in which people are ostracized and unhealthy stereotypes develop.

I'd question the extent to which "geek" and "nerd" are even considered cool, in any case.  Most times I hear people say "I'm such a nerd" it comes off more as defensive self-deprecation with the intent of pre-emptively deflecting scorn.
  • Most times I hear people say "I'm such a nerd" it comes off more as defensive self-deprecation with the intent of pre-emptively deflecting scorn.

You know i never noticed that before.

Hmm.
  • edited 2012-12-02 22:36:32
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I did the same sort of thing with "I'm so white" when I accidentally pronounced "pimpin'" with a velar rather than the alveolar nasal, which is employed by African-American Vernacular English.