Being a Christian doesn’t mean you have to be anti-science. I do believe in The Big Bang Theory

edited 2012-11-30 21:19:04 in General
I just don’t think it’s funny or deserves six seasons.

(*rimshot*)

i didn't actually mean to make this thread, but i guess i did

oh well

my point still stands

even if i'm not a christian and this isn't funny enough to get it's own thread

Comments

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I do believe in The Big Bang Theory....

I just don’t think it’s funny or deserves six seasons.

(*
    This is actually my whole take on it, actually

What the takes-everything-literally-in-the-Bible folks don't understand is that religious texts aren't banned from metaphor. Come to think of it, atheists trying to set up a logic trap around the passage stating "the four corners of the earth" don't understand this, either
  • dude it's a joke

about the tv show
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

dude it's a joke

about the tv show
    haven't watched TV in 10 years krew represent
  • i havent watched tv in several years either and i know what the big bang theory is
  • sunn wolf said:

i havent watched tv in several years either and i know what the big bang theory is

• also this thread might not quite be funny enough for its own thread but it is funnier than the big bang theory
  • i like that show though ;_;
  • edited 2012-11-30 21:30:39

the only good thing it has is the Soft Kitty song, and they didn't even come up with it.

^

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I saw a commercial for it once.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to a religious debate
  • stop disliking things i like

i'll

i'll 

i'll complain about you on my blog
  • I saw a commercial for it once.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to a religious debate

In all seriousness, it's not as bad as it looks.

It's just that you can't set your standards very high when you're dealing with a sitcom.
  • It is not dislike

it is vehement hatred
  • i watched it for 15 minutes once while i was at a laundromat and it is the worst thing that ever happened to me even including being beaten by my mother when she was drunk
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's supposed to be poking fun at nerds, right?  I watched a little of it a while back but it wasn't my thing.

The IT Crowd is better.
  • Kexruct said:

It's just that you can't set your standards very high when you're dealing with a sitcom.

i dont set my standards very high for sitcoms. my only standard is that i expect there to be some jokes, at some point.

the big bang theory does not meet that standard.

• hyperbole is seriously the worst thing ever
  • sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

i dont set my standards very high for sitcoms. my only standard is that i expect there to be some jokes, at some point.

define "joke"
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I've caught bits here and there.

Some of it was pretty good, like when they had Lewis Black on.

Some of it was minutes of my life I demand Game Stop reimburse for me for being forced to watch while I was in line.
  • edited 2012-11-30 21:39:00

Kexruct said:

hyperbole is seriously the worst thing ever

> Implying I was not completely serious
  • Kexruct said:

sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

define "joke"
    something that, at least, has more substance to it than 'he is a science! he does science!!! *canned laughter*'
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Man how about that Two and a Half Men.
  • sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

define "joke"
    something that, at least, has more substance to it than 'he is a science! he does science!!! *canned laughter*'
    How much of this show have you seen, though?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    TV

Why is it still on
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I've watched three episodes of it. It's not really to my liking, but I wouldn't say it's rage-inducing. Then again, very few things seem to be rage-inducing for me.

One thing about it does bother me, though. Why, of all people, does Sheldon Cooper seem to be the most popular character? I almost couldn't stand him; he was so obnoxious.

And some people apparently compare their autistic friends to him as a compliment. I'd say you have every right be offended if someone did that. >:|
  • edited 2012-11-30 21:47:58

Sheldon Cooper is the most loathsome thing to ever occupy a screen
  • edited 2012-11-30 21:49:26
    Kexruct said:

sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

define "joke"
    How much of this show have you seen, though?

im not saying that it is totally absolutely worthless. i mean if you played a whole series to me i would probably chuckle at least once. but i have seen enough of it to know that it is not worth my while and that the main crux of the shows humour just seems to be 'they do science. science is funny'. its not exactly monty python. my boyfriends flatmates last year had the tv on all the time. there was this, and Jeremy Kyle, and Geordie Shore, and Made In Chelsea. i would prefer those three in front of the big bang theory, at least they have the car-crash TV can't-look-way quality.

Sheldon Cooper makes me feel kind of uncomfortable, in all honesty.

Like, he's actually painful to watch.
  • But it's not like these shows are bad enough to generate hate, maybe dislike, but hate seems a little excessive.
    It clearly is bad enough to generate hate because if this thread is anything to go by it has, in fact, generated hate.

Does it matter?  If you like the show nobody's stopping you watching it.
  • Yeah, I know. But there's something that bothers me about people who excessively hate something really popular*.

*Except Twilight. I suppose you could possibly add the qualifier of "really popular, even among intelligent people."
  • You know what's also really popular? Chris Brown.
  • Not among intelligent people.
  • Neither is The Big Bang Theory.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    aren't all of chuck lorre's shows shitty
  • Anonus said:

aren't all of chuck lorre's shows shitty

Yeah basically.
  • edited 2012-11-30 22:04:25
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kexruct said:

Yeah, I know. But there's something that bothers me about people who excessively hate something really popular*.

*Except Twilight. I suppose you could possibly add the qualifier of "really popular, even among intelligent people."

I know a number of intelligent people who enjoyed Twilight.
  • Intelligent about literature?
  • Neither is The Big Bang Theory.

Scientist cameos

As the theme of the show revolves around science, many distinguished and high profile scientists have appeared as guest stars on the show. Famous astrophysicist and Nobel laureate George Smoot had a cameo appearance in episode 17 "The Terminator Decoupling", of the second season.[146] Theoretical physicist Brian Greene also appeared on the show in "The Herb Garden Germination", episode 20 of the fourth season. Astrophysicist and science populizer Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared in "The Apology Insufficiency", episode 7 of the fourth season. CosmologistStephen Hawking made a short guest appearance in the fifth-season episode "The Hawking Excitation" on April 5, 2012.[147] In the episode he meets Sheldon Cooper and points out a mistake in his new Higgs boson analysis. In the end of season 5 and the beginning of season 6 featured NASA astronaut Michael J. Massimino multiple times as himself as one of Howard's fellow astronauts.

• Ah, but they watch the big Bang Theory, so logically they can't be all that intelligent.
  • MY LOGIC.

IS FLAWLESS.

DEAL FAGIT.
    Kexruct said:

Intelligent about literature?

Admittedly not really (AFAIK), but that's not what you said.

And I still don't know why you care.
  • but seriously I don't understand these why people would do that.

I TRUSTED YOU NEIL ;_;
  • okay: how about this

it's been nominated for 16 emmies and won 2

clearly there must be some merit in it
  • edited 2012-11-30 22:13:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ Maybe they hope that appearing in the show will encourage viewers to take an interest in actual science?
  • Fouria G said:

Kexruct said:

Intelligent about literature?

Admittedly not really (AFAIK), but that's not what you said.

And I still don't know why you care.
    It's just... augh. I really don't like it when people's opinions are dismissed, no matter how minor the opinion is. And yes I understand this is hypocritical.
  • Fouria G said:

^^ Maybe they hope that appearing in the show will encourage viewers to take an interest in actual science?

We can only hope.
  • edited 2012-11-30 22:20:59

Kexruct said:

okay: how about this

Taylor Swift has won 6 Grammys, Album Of The Year twice

Clearly she is a musician to be taken seriously.
  • Fouria G said:

We can only hope.
    Okay how about this:

"I don't personally like the show, but you have a history of getting overly upset when someone insults something you like. How about we both just accept that the show has positive traits that overshadow the negative traits for you, but personally I find it difficult to see past those flaws and find that the positive traits don't outweigh the negative ones."

Can we just say this from now on?
  • Kexruct said:

okay: how about this

Taylor Swift has won 6 Grammys, including two Album Of The Year's

Clearly she is a musician to be taken seriously.
    There's a difference, though. You have to keep in mind what her competition was.

Not only that, but I wasn't saying "it won emmys you can go home now i have won the argument" I just pointed it out as something to consider before you completely dismiss it.