Le Zelda Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The first game seemed fairly coherent.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    What's funny is that many of the games were the same plot overall.
    What, "save the princess and get the Triforce"? It's pretty much the same plot as the Mario series. Except with a Triforce.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-07-31 19:56:15
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I don't think obtaining the Triforce specifically was all that important after Link to the Past or maybe Ocarina of Time, but there is usually some sort of MacGuffin-like thing involved.
    That's some of the games, Imi.

Doesn't apply for Link's Awakening at all. Or Twilight Princess. Or the games set after Wind Waker...

The Triforce isn't even in every game. XD

Save the Princess is the most used plot, however.
    Save the Princess is the most used plot, however.

Not just in Zelda, either.
  • Since this is a Zelda thread, has anybody gone to the Zelda Symphony concerts if they stopped by your town?

If not, you owe it to yourself to go to one. It's a fantastic concert whether you're a Zelda fan or a music buff. Not cheap, but well worth it if you go with friends or family.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I went to one last month in San Diego which is far away from where I live.
    I never got to one, actually.
  • I actually kind of like the inconsistencies and the repeated plots. It gives the game a more legend-y feel. I started a list of games with similar plots and it was actually fairly interesting thinking of it as a few different tales gradually corrupted from generation to generation.
  • edited 2012-10-03 21:08:36
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not exactly the same basic story, but several versions of several stories. Like for example, both MC and SS have roughly similar plots and could potentially be the same story.

But I like to think of the Zelda series in two ways- with the official timeline and the literary agent hypothesis.

I like both as well.

Although, some sequels are really hard to "think as the same story", mainly MM, ST, and PH. The rest is fairly easy.

Like ALTTP and LA. I mean, besides being almost the same as is(well, same as Dark World, kind of), the overworld design is a near carbon copy. Quite a few things are clearly based upon the original. The gameplay and items are the same(less items, but it has major similarities), and so on. They use the same gameplay engine. Except for the "item" controls.
  • How are ALTTP and LA identical...?

They're based upon the same map.

Same amount of dungeons(Dark World ones, that is). Almost near identical items. Both just happen to require exactly 8 specific items to fight the final boss. ALTTP Ganon is even fightable in the final boss as a Shadow. More than one boss is the same. The actual engine is quite literally the same one used.(yes, LA was remade by using ALTTP's original engine)

Of course they're extremely similar. They still are similar. And I said nearly the same. And yeah, they kind of are. Those maps are almost exactly the same, barring some very slight differences.
  • edited 2012-10-03 23:51:47
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    It resembles the ALTTP version of Hyrule, specifically. And they only slightly moved the actual locations around.

Death Mountain spans farther, thus, they moved Lost Woods down a tad. And the only "new" location in LA is... a big "waterfall" area, which is not very different from ALTTP's either... I don't see any huge differences.

Also, it would help if Zelda Wiki would work, since it explains a lot of stuff better. :|

I know I read a blog or whatever earlier that actually explained how they used the literal same gameplay engine. Which is why they're extremely similar, respectively. Of course, they're still different(I never said otherwise). Just clearly are similar too.

Link's Awakening began as an unsanctioned side project; programmer Kazuaki Morita created a Zelda-like game with one of the first Game Boy development kits, and used it to experiment with the platform's capabilities. Other staff members of the Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development division joined him after-hours, and worked on the game in what seemed to them like an "afterschool club". The results of these experiments with the Game Boy started to look promising, and following the 1991 release of the Super Nintendo game The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, director Takashi Tezuka asked permission to develop a handheld Zelda title; he intended it to be a port of A Link to the Past, but it evolved into an original game.[3] The majority of the team that had created the Super Nintendo Zelda game was reassembled to advance this new project. Altogether, it took them one and a half years to develop Link's Awakening.[26]