Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• imageLook at the size of the "pixels" in the character, then look at the word ""controls".  It bugs me.  

Also, I don't think "widescreen" versions of games which were originally in 4:3 are an improvement.  The better solution to "my screen is 16:9 and the game is 4:3" is to have a 4:3 screen.
  • edited 2023-12-21 01:36:17
    Also, since this one was the third released in the United States, and I am a citizen of the United States, I think Final Fantasy III is just as legitimate a name for it as Final Fantasy VI, if not more so.
    It's a shame that the second Final Fantasy game the United States got was the automatically-worst one, and the third one is this automatically-not-good one.  This means that, during the classic pre-3d era, the United Sates got at most ONE good mainline Final Fantasy game, and was denied three possibly-good ones.
  • To reiterate, I probably would have enjoyed Final Fantasy II/IV and III/VI before I played Undertale.  Anything that reminds me of the Mettatron fight is automatically not going to get a positive assessment from me.

I also would probably have a more positive opinion of Dark Souls if it hadn't represented such a shift in game design priorities (difficulty comes from bosses, never from bullcrud), and if that shift hadn't become so prevalent in other games (Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, evidently the most recent DLC of Sonic Forces, they all get put too much of their difficulty into their bosses and lack stupid nonsense).

In this HD, 16:9, boss-difficulty-obsessed, zero-patience-for-garbage-trickery, boss-rush-accepting era, even our best attempts at recapturing the fun of 80's/90's/early2000s games actually end up having being more like early 2010s games with earlier artstyles.

Play Sonic 3 again, and you'll find that your frustration doesn't come from boss battles nearly as much as THOSE GOSH-DARN GRASSHOPPERS IN MARBLE GARDEN ZONE.

Don't get me long, I love playing around in a good old open-world, but when Sonic, Legend of Zelda, Fallout, Pokemon, and Elder Scrolls all are essentially the same game, it makes me not have interest in them, and when "love letters to the classic games" have Binding-Of-Isaac/Dark-Souls difficulty arrangements, it makes me miss the days before Minecraft/Dark-Souls/Binding-Of-Isaac/Cave-Story-+.

I mean, I finally get old enough to maybe start buying videogame consoles for my own, and all these videogame franchises are now games that are essentially Morrowind but with Terraria's difficulty cuurve.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    There definitely are bits in Souls games where the real difficulty is some super annoying enemies combined with level design(The Anor Londo archers!) and boss fights where it's mainly "here's this weird big thing you have to fight. Is it very tough? No but it's memorable"(The Covetous Demon) but in general I think you are correct that we seemed to go all in on bossfights since the 2010s in a lot of games. I'm more positive about that trend than you are but I am also a weirdo who longs for the return of the 3D collectathon platformer.
  • edited 2023-12-21 01:34:39
    It's not the homogeneity that bugs me, it's the fact that the homogeneity means that boss rushes are everywhere, and the fact that the lack of non-boss challenge means that disliking bossfights makes people think you dislike difficulty, and the fact that putting all this design weight on bosses means that hypothetical "game, but with the bossfights removed" isn't even intended to be a satisfying and complete game in itself.

Remove the bossfights from the classic Sonic games, and you change them very little.  This even applies in Sonic Adventure 2.  Much of the difficulty came from stupid random bullcrud nonsense (THOSE DANG GRASSHOPPERS and such things in 2D, and THE ACCURSED CAMERA in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2), and running around was fun and challenging in and of itself. 

Remove the bossfights from The Binding Of Isaac, Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Shovel Knight, and you change them entirely.  Of these, only Shovel Knight ends up not losing its most-remembered gameplay moments, and only Undertale ends up not losing its most-remembered character moments, and even those are debatable.  Dark Souls and Hollow Knight maintain their worldbuilding, and The Binding of Isaac maintains its "maybe I'll get a wonderful item combination" roguelite thrill.  The games still have a lot of what made them so successful, and I'd probably enjoy them more this way, but something foundational to the intended experience would be missing.

The fact that the final boss of Sonic 2 is the first boss of Sonic Mania says a lot about this sort of thing.

Heck, even I Wanna Be The Guy (a game whose main point is to bring back stupid bullcrud nonsense as a difficulty source and exaggerate it to demonstrate what playing these games was like back in the days before you got good and had walkthroughs/skills/an-internet-connection-on-which-to-ask-questions) exaggerates the prevalence of, difficulty of, and design space allotted to bossfights (though more in an attempt to exaggerate how hard those FELT back in the day, rather than because it was the standard expected by players).

I guess, what I'm trying to say is this:  most of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out consists of not actually getting punched out by Mike Tyson.  If no such game/series existed and something called Mike Tyson's Punch-Out came out today, I think you'd START by getting punched out by Mike Tyson, and then fight Robo-Mike-Tyson, then a cowboy Mike Tyson, and then two Mike Tysons, and so on and so forth until you defeat True Super Ultra Mega Mike Tyson Infinity after fighting all the previous Mike Tysons at the same time or something.

Edited to add:

Odradek said:

There definitely are bits in Souls games where the real difficulty is some super annoying enemies combined with level design(The Anor Londo archers!) and boss fights where it's mainly "here's this weird big thing you have to fight. Is it very tough? No but it's memorable"(The Covetous Demon) but in general I think you are correct that we seemed to go all in on bossfights since the 2010s in a lot of games. I'm more positive about that trend than you are but I am also a weirdo who longs for the return of the 3D collectathon platformer.

I like 3d collectathon platformers too, though I don't think I've actually played a whole lot of them unless Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 or Sonic Heroes or Lego Star Wars or The Force Unleashed count.
  • Odradek said:

Having never played Dark Souls, this has gotten me closer to wanting to play it than anything ever has.
    If you ever get to around to it, you should play Spyro 2, which is my favorite 3d platformer of all time.

Spyro 1 is good, but has some flaws inherent to being early in the lifespan of the 3d platformer and the PS1 both, so the remake is the best version of Spyro 1
  • edited 2023-12-21 05:03:07
    If Square Enix wanted me to keep calling it Final Fantasy VI after I figured out it was the third mainline Final Fantasy released in the United States, they should have released it sixth instead of third outside of Japan.

It is the tyranny of an island that the internet insists that "III" is wrong.  It is revisionist.  Unlike TvTropes and Wikipedia, I refuse to rewrite history to satisfy some corporation.
  • Unrelated:  Now that Baldur's Gate III has won all the awards and gotten all the success, the argument "you should buy/play it to show the industry that the things you liked about Baldur's Gate I and II are still capable of making a game successful" no longer holds merit; the point has been made, and probably too well.

Most people who played Baldur's Gate III didn't play Baldur's Gate I or II, and aren't going to no matter how many times I tell them they'd enjoy doing so.

This is strange; if Baldur's Gate III has the good qualities of I and II, why does it not get people to play I and II?  I makes me want to play II, II makes me want to play I, both make me want to play Neverwinter and Torment and anything on the Infinity Engine.  Actually playing them makes the very sight of 3 deeply disappointing-this isn't Computer D&D, this is the Divinity series in a different setting.  This is a game such that a screencap of it could be mistaken for a screencap of another game on the same engine by the same company.  Lego Star-Wars/Indiana-Jones/Batman/whatever could be mistaken for one another, but Lego Racers could be mistaken neither for any of them nor for Mario Kart.

Sonic Heroes makes me want to play the previous Sonic games, and vice versa; each one in the series makes me look forward to playing the others.  Baldur's Gate I and II make me look forward to someday playing III, and that lasts right up until I see III, and the association is lost because this scratches where I don't itch.

I think BGIII takes without giving, drawing from the goodwill that the Infinity Engine games made without returning the favor.  If anything, it's buried them; just try to look for Baldur's Gate I or II content with a search engine.  Over 20 years of being popular/classics, and the internet-space on them is lost in an ocean of New-Internet, Search-Engine-Optimized, Information-via-wiki-rather-than-something-like-DJSimpson's-Guide, social-media-era content.

I worry that the success of Baldur's Gate III will be taken by the industry as proof that the bad aspects of Baldur's Gate III, which the Infinity Engine games lacked, are now socially and commercially acceptable, or worse, popular, or worse, the new standard.  But that's another post.

• I could maybe get past this and convince myself to fork over the money to buy BGIII when it's on sale, but the inclusion of the nudes and the lewds, even as optional content, even if my brother and my cousin play the game without said nudes and lewds, even if they're adults and I'm an adult, is too much for me.  I know as well as you that I could even download mods to entirely disable the content, and that people won't judge me, but, darn it, I grew up with Baldur's Gate I and II.  This stuff is for kids, it was for Child Me decades before anybody ever tried to market it to Reluctantly-But-Inescapably-An-Adult me.  I'm not the person I was back then, but I'm not NOT that person, either.  This isn't for kids, and I used to be a kid.  I can enjoy what I enjoyed as a kid only if the kid-I-am-inside can enjoy it.

Playing to my nostalgia doesn't work when you're playing to my nostalgia for the years when I didn't have deeply internalized guilt complexes.  Appealing to me as an adult when Adult Me was always, in my child-self's mind, someone more like my parents and grandparents than like my aunts, cousins, uncles, or siblings.  The sort of person who doesn't play computer games or video games.  Or, at least, the kind of person who wouldn't buy a game with that kind of content.

The world has gotten me, through persuasion, fate, force, and whatever pressures great and small which it could come up with, to betray so many promises I made to myself, so many of my convictions.  I know what such does to me.  I might not have it in me to resist the pressures I face, or to overcome the desire to do what would make people I care about approve of me in favor of convictions I feel but can't even explain to myself, but I learned years ago that my own enjoyment is never worth feeding the internalized guilt.
  • Baldur's Gate III is, without the objectionable content, everything I (as a kid) hoped and dreamed that comptuer games could someday become, and more specifically everything I hoped a Baldur's Gate came of the future could be.  By all accounts, it has Infinity-Engine-Game quality and quantity of dialogue, but fully voice acted.  It has graphics that could make one weep at their beauty.  Imagination-stoking illustrations for loading screens (a dear and long-lost friend, and one it seemed as though could never return).  Playable reptile-or-reptile-adjacent species.  Character customization with the best of oldstyle CRPGs and the best of newstyle CRPGs (all these stats and list-choices and abilities, AND The-Sims/Oblivion-type character-model-creation).  The ability to do certain cool tabletop-D&D stuff that you couldn't on CD back in the day (Speak with Dead, Speak with Animals, using a Ring of Jumping, playing as a Githyanki, et cetera).  It has a whole huge world to explore full of details and hand-placed stuff.  The companions are, by all accoutns memorable enough that they're all anyone talks about when they talk about the game with other people-who-enjoy-the-game, as is tradition.  It has the approval of my brother, my cousins, Yarrunmace, and everybody else I know who plays RPGs.  It finally gave the Baldur's Gate series the win over the Diablo series it always deserved.  It drove other companies to panic at their competitor's achievement, and gave its crew of Industry veterans a well-earned win.  It was a continuation of a thing-popular-when-I-was-a-kid that managed to get practically unanimous praise and enjoyment from the people-who-were-kids-when-I-was-a-kid set (a set just about impossible to 100% please with such things).  It's got its accolades, it's successes, its wins.

It doesn't need my approval, and it shall not have it.

Such is mine to give or withhold.  It might be the last thing that's truly mine and mine alone.
  • I...I just have a lot of thoughts and feelings about things I've spent so much time on, okay?
  • Ali_Roz said:

It has the approval of my brother, my cousins, Yarrunmace, and everybody else I know who plays RPGs.

Wait, does it?? I was under the impression that Yarrun didn't like it.
  • edited 2024-01-04 03:32:49
    I probably need to stop assuming that everybody who owns a game likes said game.

[EDIT:  Having spoken with Yarrun, it is confirmed that I was wrong].
    Yeah Yarrun has serious moral reservations about the way the game handles some conflicts.
  • Unrelated:  There's a bit in Avatar: The Last Airbender where Aang mentions that Appa has five stomachs.

How in the world does he know that?  How is that a thing that this twelve year old kid raised by pacifist monks knows?  

Explanation 1: The Air Nomads have a working knowledge of Sky Bison anatomy.  This implies at least one Sky Bison was dissected at some point, which is sad and I hate it.  Considering the strong spiritual bonds between the nomads and their associated Bison, that Sky Bison seem to be sacred in Air Nomad culture, and that Appa is more or less regarded as a person by everybody who spends more than about two seconds with him, I would expect that such a dissection would violate at least one strong taboo.

Explanation 2:  At some point, somebody asked a Sky Bison "how many stomachs do you have?" and the Sky Bison held up five fingers or something.

Explanation 3: At some point, somebody asked Wan Shi Tong how many stomachs a healthy Sky Bison has.

Explanation 4:  Aang is making stuff up, knowing that nobody will dare call him on it.
    Ali_Roz said:

Unrelated:  There's a bit in Avatar: The Last Airbender where Aang mentions that Appa has five stomachs.

How in the world does he know that?  How is that a thing that this twelve year old kid raised by pacifist monks knows?  

Explanation 1: The Air Nomads have a working knowledge of Sky Bison anatomy.  This implies at least one Sky Bison was dissected at some point, which is sad and I hate it.  Considering the strong spiritual bonds between the nomads and their associated Bison, that Sky Bison seem to be sacred in Air Nomad culture, and that Appa is more or less regarded as a person by everybody who spends more than about two seconds with him, I would expect that such a dissection would violate at least one strong taboo.

Explanation 2:  At some point, somebody asked a Sky Bison "how many stomachs do you have?" and the Sky Bison held up five fingers or something.

Explanation 3: At some point, somebody asked Wan Shi Tong how many stomachs a healthy Sky Bison has.

Explanation 4:  Aang is making stuff up, knowing that nobody will dare call him on it.
    It's possible that the Air Nomads, like the Tibetan Buddhists they're influenced by believe that the body is an empty vessel after death and should be returned to the elements in a way that benefits other living beings and practice sky burial, and at some point someone just noticed a half-composing sky bison corpse had five stomachs
  • That makes a ton of sense.  I'd never heard of sky burial before.
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • edited 2024-01-03 22:36:06
    So, apparently Steamboat Willie is now in the public domain.

Darn, I was hoping they'd manage to keep it forever, indefinitely extending copyright.

Well, I suppose that one's on me for having hope in the first place.
  • This more or less means that the public domain is truly inevitable.
  • I mean, I already knew I wasn't going to create, but why even engage with new media at this point?  Contributing to a work's popularity means setting it up for even more ill-use than it might have had without your support.
  • The only compelling explanation to me is for publishing's own sake.  Books must be printed, publishers must survive.  The world needs books.
  • I guess, what I'm trying to say is, I think you should only create if you're willing to accept what will happen to your creation, or if you have a plan for your creation with which you are satisfied.
  • The writing of an e-mail and the parenting of a child are both acts of creation.  So is the scribbling of a doodle, the making of a sandwich, or the typing of a keysmash.  The types and degrees of responsibility you have or lack for your acts of creation differ (the importance of making sure Google doesn't delete your 9-year-old offspring is not the same as the importance of making sure Google doesn't delete your 9-year-old e-mail message) but the point is that you generally understand what those responsibilities (or lack thereof) are before, during, and after creation.

If I am entirely unwilling to accept that any creative work I make could become public domain, and I don't have any plan to prevent said work from entering it (or at least a plan to give it a chance of not entering it) that I can accept well enough to be able to sleep at night, then (unless there is some compelling reason(s), result(s), or obligation(s) for such) the arts/literature/media-creation fields are likely not the best fields for me.
  • In the end, this is mostly just me being surprised that other people have different thoughts and motivations than I do, and me not understanding the unwritten ways of doing things that seem intuitive to others.
  • There are also obligations towards the world on behalf of your creation.  You try to make sure the world doesn't ruin your creation, you try to make sure your creation doesn't ruin the world.  These obligations might change with time.
  • So, once again, I am left as the only one upset by a happening which everyone I care about either celebrates or is indifferent towards.
  • edited 2024-01-04 03:41:24
    Also, it being 2024 means I have only one year to become chill and likable, or else a prediction I made years ago will be incorrect.

Also, that means in one year it'll have been five years of this account which... wow, those years all spilled together and were not equal to the five years before them, which were not equal to the five years before them.

People in the future won't understand how everything 2017-2019 inclusive was just one year stretched forever or how days 90-790 of this decade were an eternal recursive loop of infinite suffering that was simultaneously three unending weeks and ten years.

Each year of 2010-2016 inclusive was markedly different.  Those were real years. 
  • The heap never recovered from late 2016, and it never recovered from the quarantine, and I don't think things are ever coming back to how they were.

I'll stick around forever, even if nobody else ever posts.
  • I'd hoped that, eventually, the people I've missed here would come back.  Or, rather, some of them, the ones that aren't banned.  And even some of the ones that are, if I'm being truly honest (more a hope of reconciliation for friends who are now estranged than anything).

All those early years here denying that I was a heaper, claiming to be a troper misplaced, and here I am, counted among the old guard, thrilled whenever a new visitor arrives.

Back then, I held onto a sense of belonging to the Tv Tropes forum, as though I could wait it out and someday come back to posting there under a different name once Fighteer and certain other mods stopped caring or left, but Fighteer's still there and will always be.  I still have a bit of that sense of belonging, safe in a box in myself.
  • Yes, yes, I know there's a Discord, but I was never made for travel, I am not a portable or adaptable organism that can be transplanted, at least not willingly or more than once.
  • Back in the day, I wonderposted because it was fun and I enjoyed the indulgence of nonsense.

Now I do it for the community.  Perhaps Jumpingzombie will come back one day and approve of my meager efforts, or maybe I can make some lurker or newbie smile.

I promise to wonderpost more this year, and to get better/worse at it.
  • edited 2024-01-04 04:23:11
    Yes, Steamboat Willie entered the public domain, and the crudposting potential has already begun to be realized, but this means our crudposts themselves cannot be kept safe in our care forever.

Someday, the national archives will have a copy of I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL, The Ultimate Spaghetti, and The Only Mama Luigi Poop Anyone Has Ever Made.  Our modern culture-forms are growing up, and that means I'm getting old, and I never wanted to grow up.
    Ali_Roz said:

The heap never recovered from late 2016, and it never recovered from the quarantine, and I don't think things are ever coming back to how they were.

Same
  • A criminal record and a résumé are almost opposites.
  • It is perhaps merciful that we do not force people to write and update their own criminal records.
  • Odradek said:

Ali_Roz said:

The heap never recovered from late 2016, and it never recovered from the quarantine, and I don't think things are ever coming back to how they were.

Same
    :)
  • I like to ponder on what future generations will think of us.

I posit that they'll think that we were astonishingly rational and devoted to reason.  Why else would we so often call one another "unreasonable", and why would "irrational" be such a harsh condemnation among us?

I posit that they'll think we were unemotional and unethical, or at least aspired to be so.  Why else would we see reason as objective, but passion and ethics as subjective?  Why else would we hate Pathos and Ethos so, subordinating them to an eternally inferior role to Logos.

Perhaps they will take pity on us when they consider that we devoted ourselves to logic and then invented machines that were better at it than we were.  We worried of no longer being needed in a world of logic machines, little remembering that we had within us Pathos and Ethos and the machines did not.

Maybe they'll think that we must have been a delightful and long-sighted people to so often berate one another over the sort of world that future generations will have to live in.

I like to think that future generations would judge us more kindly than we judge ourselves, but that might be wishful thinking.  
  • edited 2024-01-10 18:09:38
    One thing that sometimes happens in stories, which I like, is a specific sort of moment in which every character is thinking the same thing, or thinking about the same thing.

In Star Wars, I think it's shortly after the destruction of Alderaan.  Maybe it's not in any of the scenes we see, but I feel as though there must have been a moment where every living named character we'd seen in the movie was thinking about Alderaan's obliteration, from the droids to Chewbacca to Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin.
  • I think it's interesting how for so many of my generation (or perhaps its just me), there's a tendency to feel as though disapproval/dislike is a moral imperative and approval/like is an indulgence.
  • Live-Action is very often not the best iteration of a story-work, but it often becomes (seen as) the definitive version.  This might be because of the increased budget, or the greater investment in advertising, or, conversely, because of the relative cheapness of live action when compared to animation (or at least certain types of animation), and the wide audience of live action forms (a live action iteration of Frank Herbert's DUNE doesn't even have to be good to make an impact, but even one of the most important and influential computer games of all time ends up as near-abandonware that no amount of recommendation will get people to play, and a very good board/card game gets treated as if it were one step above a pez dispenser...I use Dune as an example because it works so much better as a game than as almost anything outside of a novel).
  • The way search engines work bugs me a lot.  You can hardly find stuff on Baldur's Gate I anymore, or Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty.

Decades of carefully written guides and old-internet discussions are utterly buried under a hundred feet of bot-created search-engine-optimized ad-filled wiki-garbage, marketing-campaign-created-memes, list-articles where each item is a different page, and other such garbage.
  • This is unrelated to anything previous:

I am of two minds as to whether or not I want everything I ever wrote on the internet to be deleted upon/immediately-after my death, including Wayback machine and Internet Archive and any screenshots.

On the one hand, preservation demands that the words be not erased.

On the other hand, preservation demands that my absolute control over all my posts be maintained.
  • edited 2024-01-13 02:20:37
    I'd much rather have my every post be scrambled through some kind of unsolvable cipher (like vigenere, except vigenere ciphers can be solved), so my control is maintained but the words are not obliterated (only sealed away).
  • In general, it is not healthy to be overly emotionally concerned about or invested in what I might call "poli-regs" (politically defined regions, such as nations, provinces, counties, states, et cetera).  Certainly one should never mock such things (nobody deserves mockery, ever, and the fact that so many people are so accepting of such verbal abuse of large-regions-of-land-with-millions-of-people is baffling considering how most of those same people would never accept verbal abuse of other human datasets), but a more subtle danger exists in the personification of such things.
  • The fact that these "poli-regs" are so intrinsic to our view of the world, so defining that most of our maps are maps of such, is probably not a good sign.
  • Unrelated:  I really like Sonic Prime, and it deserves massive props for showing me the potential of multiple-universe/"multiverse"/timeline stuff.  I'd forgotten that the concept gave us some great stuff in It's A Wonderful LIfe and Back To The Future.

I think what makes it work for me is that the alternate realities aren't a way to avoid consequences-- they are consequences.  They're the problem, or the result of the problem, and getting back is the purpose.  Sure, you're travelling through all these aesthetic, moral, or tonal variations, but it's less of a "tour" and more of an Odyssey.
  • It also works better for Sonic than for a lot of franchises, because this kind of thing has been around since Sonic CD's Past, Present, Good Future, and Bad Future versions of each stage.  There were three tonally very different Sonic cartoons at pretty much the same time in which Sonic was voiced by Jaleel White, there were multiple comic continuities, and with Mega Collection, Gems Collection, Dreamcast original vs Gamecube rereleases for SA1 and SA2, the differences in same-named games between consoles (8-bit vs 16 bit Sonic and Sonic II), the differences in same-games between versions (3d Blast on PC vs Genesis vs Saturn), this franchise has always been a thing of splintered realities.

The fact that Sonic Prime goes the "Alternate Universe" route while resisting the temptation to cross over with any other Sonic media means that it deserves better than to be compared to Spider-Verse stuff.
  • edited 2024-01-22 16:08:04
    "We're not so different.  You and I could be friends, or at least work together.  I'd help you get Lackadaisy canceled and you'd help me get the Spider-Verse canceled."
    ~Me*, to any transgender people who are on the relevant side of the Lackadaisy controversy from half a year back.

*But only in my imagination.