Hunter x Hunter is a serious anime

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oh crap not math
  • edited 2015-11-11 23:22:24
    kill living beings
    one
  • one

this stupid riddle was delivered as a distraction by a man whose arm had just been severed
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    has your boo seen this yet.
  • not yet

i would say that we would watch it next time i am there but due to length i think he'll have to watch it on his own
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You could split it up by arcs, actually.
    I'd say to watch Chimera Ant together, but that's the longest one.

Watch Yorknew together maybe.
  • bump for sredni
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That scene was fucking rad.

I'm two episodes from the end of the Yorknew City/Phantom Troupe arc, which is fascinating and a little depressing.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . you started later than i did and you're way ahead of me already

That scene was fucking rad.

I'm two episodes from the end of the Yorknew City/Phantom Troupe arc, which is fascinating and a little depressing.

A lot of Western Superhero comics like to go on about a dark gritty take on Superheroes, but I think in an odd way, Hunter X Hunter does a better version of a world with superpowered people than most of them.
  • My only interaction with the Hunter x Hunter fanbase that wasn't on this forum was a guy saying he'd kill himself if it ever got dubbed because it would be "repulsive".

This is kind of irrelevant to this thread, but I think about that a lot, because what.
    Dude Jane saw, you can just like

not watch it
  • The only acceptable dub in the history of anime is Smooth Nyanta
  • Dude Jane saw, you can just like

not watch it
    the context was a thread somewhere about shows people wanted Toonami to pick up. Someone mentioned this one, and he replied to it with that comment.

because god forbid the Toonami casuls watch any shows you like.
  • The only acceptable dub in the history of anime is Smooth Nyanta

Serial Experiments Lain has an incredible dub.
  • Jane said:

The only acceptable dub in the history of anime is Smooth Nyanta

Serial Experiments Lain has an incredible dub.
    It may be incredible but is it Smooth
  • To be fair that is not a word I'd use to describe it.
    A great Hisoka would be crucial to any dub. You need someone who can make any line read drip with a combo of icy menace, amusement, and depraved sexual satisfaction.

But yes, what Baldanders said is the truth. This show does the dark and gritty implications of a world inhabited by superhumans better than the vast majority of Anglosphere comics trying the same thing, but I think that's partly a matter of worldbuilding and tradition as much as it is a credit to the mangaka and script writers' abilities in general. HxH builds a world from those premises outside of any assumptions about superhero traditions, at least in the West, drawing instead on Eastern heroic fables, crime sagas and spaghetti westerns, high fantasy and similarly patterned science fiction, and naturally the tropes and techniques of Japanese action comics to tell the story—all taking place, again, in a world that is not "the Real World+gritty superheroes," but "a world shaped by the existence of superpowers."
    Killua kind of has a subtle cat motif going on to begin with, in the way that Gon is associated with dogs at several other points. Again, perfect foils.
    I am now about seven episodes into the Chimera Ant arc.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

It will keep being HOLY SHIT until the end, really.

Also you get to see your BF's waifu/husbando!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Is it the octopus, the old man, or the kid with the muscles?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Holy shit.

<3
    MachSpeed said:

Is it the octopus, the old man, or the kid with the muscles?

Baldanders is referring to Neferpitou, who won't show up for a few episodes.

But yeah, seriously, this is the most insane arc so far and probably the best already (although Yorknew City was pretty great/emotionally devastating).

They've also started to kill people we have history with in really nasty ways. This arc is going to take no prisoners.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

Holy shit.

It's an emotional roller coaster. Better put your seatbelt on. 
    I am buckled.
    Someone should make an AMV for Metallica's "Master of Puppets" with Knuckle in the park and title it "Master of Puppies".