Bee Movie is not even ten years old yet and already its CGI looks somewhat primitive

Comments

• meanwhile, stuff that's pushing 15 like Monsters Inc. doesn't look too bad

though I'd imagine DreamWorks's more recent fare isn't going to age terribly
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also here are my thoughts on DWA's Dork Age movies, because they are totally relevant:
    • Shark Tale: saw soon after it came out, remember next to nothing about
    • Madagascar: rewatched last year, is actually pretty fun
    • Over the Hedge: moderately enjoyed when it was new, would probably hate now
    • Shrek the Third: fell asleep watching it on a plane
    • Bee Movie: have not watched, probably should watch at least some of it
    Tre said:

meanwhile, stuff that's pushing 15 like Monsters Inc. doesn't look too bad

though I'd imagine DreamWorks's more recent fare isn't going to age terribly
    hopefully it doesn't

also it could be that Pixar's stuff has aged better because they for many years stayed away from human characters as a focus point because CGI had not yet become sophisticated enough to make them look convincing

so of course they focused on plastic toys, and ants, and monsters, and fish (though I did read that even as early as Nemo, they had to tone down the water because it looked too realistic and clashed with their CGI cartoon look)
    • Shark Tale: liked as a kid, found cheesy upon rewatching
    • Madagascarliked as a kid, still moderately enjoy now but find it inferior to its sequels (especially the third film)
    • Over the Hedge: liked as a kid and still like now
    • Shrek the Third: found it dull compared to its predecessors when I was younger, repulsed by it now
    • Bee Movie: liked as a kid, found cheesy upon rewatching
  • So they just used a watered down version instead?
    though I wonder if this has to do with DWA's budgeting

The original Shrek still looks great now, as does its sequel, and in fact the primitivity of the CGI may have helped them both (as the CGI got more realistic later it looked so creepy)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    In Bee Movie, the protagonist sues Sting for cultural appropriation of Bee Culture.
  • I would call that a point in the movie's favor.
    I am just kinda fascinated by Bee Movie's existence
    Odradek said:

I am just kinda fascinated by Bee Movie's existence

who isn't?
  • Ironically, I'm not.
  • Guess it just didn't generate enough buzz for you
  • Really honestly nothing about Bee Movie looks outright bad to me

it looks exceedingly strange, goofy, and earnest, but there's nothing wrong with those things and I rather resent the idea that there is.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    There's a parody of Larry King, and he's named...Bee Larry King.

Why?

Why couldn't they at least think up some stupid pun name or something?

This is outright bad.
  • Same principle as Troll Will Smith
  • edited 2015-08-12 19:24:56
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Kexruct said:

Really honestly nothing about Bee Movie looks outright bad to me

it looks exceedingly strange, goofy, and earnest, but there's nothing wrong with those things and I rather resent the idea that there is.
    There's nothing wrong with those things, but I think what really gets people about this movie is that its humor is weak and it's combined with DreamWorks's overbearing, celebrity-driven Hollywood sheen.
    Anonus said:

Kexruct said:

Really honestly nothing about Bee Movie looks outright bad to me

There's nothing wrong with those things, but I think what really gets people about this movie is that its humor is weak and it's combined with DreamWorks's overbearing, celebrity-driven Hollywood sheen.
    Yeah, this.

There's no way this movie would exist in its current form if Seinfeld wasn't a huge popular show.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    creator of bee movie complains about political correctness