YOU ARE NOT A CONTENT CREATOR

Comments

• OpAPHID said:

Disney in general also tends to lean conservative, i think

relative to the politics of the time, at any rate

Haha you know it! In hindsight I like One Saturday Morning's creative direction and find
    Pepper Ann and Teacher's Pet hidden gems, but the Walt Disney Company always felt very tight-assed compared to Nick, H-B/CN (though Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera honestly seemed to have kind of vanilla tastes), or WB.

Disney is one of a few companies whose very existence makes me uncomfortable.

Like, people still stand up for it? As though it's something that needs defending and is somehow an underdog in....any situation?

Like there are Disney fans. Hardcore Disney fans, and I don't understand how.

Their properties have next to nothing in common, it's just a random selection of stuff. Some of it good, some of it bad, and people look at this and go "yeah this is something that is worth my time arguing for on the internet."

people do it with Nintendo too idgi.
    It's possible to like Disney and still have a complicated view of the Walt Disney Company.
    Of course, I'm talking about people who don't.

Walt Disney Animation Studios - for most, the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of Disney - has a long association with a high standard of storytelling and craft. This of course varies by the movie, but the craft appeals nonetheless.

I disagree, because:

Disney does have a long history of sticking their name on crap that exists solely to pay the bills, and a seeming attraction to mediocrity and dullness that permeates much of the company (this manifests itself most obviously through - I'm serious - ABC). It's part of why I've come to detest Bob Iger's Disney. There's WDAS, there's Pixar, there's Disney Television Animation, there's the Muppets Studio, but most of Disney has this vibe of repression about it.

of this.

And really what I'm talking about is more any consistent theme to their holdings. They have the Disney animated canon (and associated Princess line), their cartoon characters, Marvel, the Star Wars stuff, and loads of other stuff. And none of it really relates to each other in any thematic way so it just all looks random.

Also, about Marvel in specific, you have to remember that before Disney it was owned by a former corporate raider, Ike Perlmutter, and that in the years before the MCU, Marvel's properties were subject to a lot of devaluing hackiness (e.g. those chintzy old cartoons that couldn't hold a candle to the DCAU - those predate Perlmutter, but still adhere somewhat to his apparent way of thinking). There is still some of that bland/soulless corporate attitude there (I have heard little good about the Marvel cartoons populating Disney XD - Ultimate Spider-Man is said to be awful but it seems like the best of them), and I don't know how that will change as Disney forces out Perlmutter and instills their own ethos into Marvel. Marvel kind of feels like an odd fit within Disney anyway besides the "highly marketable characters" aspect.

This is fair, I suppose.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Their holdings relate to each other insofar as they are part of a strategy of aiming at specific demographics.

There's properties for kids in general (Mickey and friends), preschoolers (Pooh, Doc McStuffins), girls (the Princess franchise and much of what's on the main Disney Channel), boys (Marvel, Star Wars), men (ESPN), and women (ABC).
  • That makes business sense, but to me, as a customer, it doesn't make me interested in Disney as an entity.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it sounds as though - and honestly this has been my impression - they don't necessarily want you to be interested in Disney as an entity

i mean, they'd like it, i'm sure, but that's clearly not the strategy, the strategy is a series of distinct markets each with its own theming and they try to get you hooked on one of those

kids get hooked on "Disney" because their main image is kid-friendly, they use the name less prominently (or sometimes not at all) when marketing to adults

"Disney" is Mickey Mouse, and the Princesses, and Marvel and Star Wars too, as well as the Disney Channel and Disney World and Kingdom Hearts, but it's not ESPN or ABC or even Touchstone Pictures
  • edited 2015-10-09 00:15:03
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Disney makes no secret of their ownership of ABC; they use it to run a lot of overtly Disney programming (such as Once Upon a Time, shows based on Marvel properties, and The Muppets), and a promo earlier this year for Battlebots had someone quipping "I'm goin' to Disney World! This is ABC, so I get to say that!"
  • edited 2015-10-09 00:15:39
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's not a secret, but if you enjoy ABC shows you don't call yourself "a Disney fan", generally

not ime anyway
    They also make no secret of their ownership of ESPN; there is an ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (the WWOS name was itself inherited from Capital Cities/ABC, along with ESPN) at Walt Disney World
    yes but see above

i'm not postulating some conspiracy wherein Disney pretend not to be Disney
  • OpAPHID said:

it's not a secret, but if you enjoy ABC shows you don't call yourself "a Disney fan", generally

not ime anyway

p much
  • Anonus said:

Once Upon a Time

hiss! HISSSSSS!
    my mum used to like that show, but i think she lost interest
    and you know what I should have said earlier?

I don't quite get how there are hardcore Disney fans either. Like people who just love Disney merchandise.

I had a bout of that when I was a kid, but as an adult I'm like "how?"

everyone's mom likes that show

i remember my mum complaining that the hatter didn't fit the theming of the other characters

she mostly watches historical dramas and soap-type series that aren't the big 4
  • OpAPHID said:

everyone's mom likes that show

i remember my mum complaining that the hatter didn't fit the theming of the other characters

she mostly watches historical dramas and soap-type series that aren't the big 4
    the big 4?
    EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks
    she sometimes watches Doctors, though
  • OpAPHID said:

EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks

I've never heard of any of these, but then again I've not had TV in years and am furthermore not British.
  • actually I might know EastEnders?

like at least the name I think I've heard before.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have heard the names Hollyoaks and EastEnders.
    Corrie = Coronation Street, does that sound familiar?

it might be they don't show them overseas

i think they're all experiencing kinda a decline, but they are some of the most popular shows over here, EastEnders and Coronation Street especially
    i haven't watched Emmerdale but i think it's about a little village in the Yorkshire Dales with a horrifically high death toll

Hollyoaks is supposed to be a bit edgier and more daring than the other 3, when i was a teen a lot of people i knew at school were into it
    Is this when I admit I've seen at least five seasons of Desperate Housewives
  • OpAPHID said:

Corrie = Coronation Street, does that sound familiar?

vaguely

there's an American branch of the BBC that shows shows form the UK, but I never watched it at length back when we had it.
    Well soaps aren't exactly the high culture you'd want to bring over.

Mostly we just get soaps from Canada and that's it.
    Torgo said:

Is this when I admit I've seen at least five seasons of Desperate Housewives

i've watched some of this show

(it was one of mum's favourites)
    also Ugly Betty

we both watched a lot of Ugly Betty
  • gee what's the worst TV I've watched

probably either all those VH1 countdowns and I Love The [whatever decade] shows, or Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
    It was a big revelation when I watched Twin Peaks and then found out that HOLY CRAP ORSON THE DENTIST WHO WAS MAYBE A MURDERER BUT THEN TURNED OUT NOT TO BE WAS AGENT COOPER??????
    i don't even know what's the worst TV i ever watched

tempted to say Bleach
  • oh shit no

actually I used to fucking love Ancient Aliens

even in the midst of my conspirinut phase I never believed most of it but I found it really entertaining.

really we can just put every History Channel 3AM series about Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce or The Torah Codes or whatever in here
    OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

I dunno I don't think Bleach is that bad.

I don't think it's good either, but it's basically just a DBZ style thing no?
  • edited 2015-10-09 13:37:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    as far as soaps go, lonelygirl15 and KateModern were basically teen-oriented soaps

watched those from start to finish

OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

yeah i guess?

i never watched much DBZ

Bleach started out interesting to me and then it just kinda devolved into a series of increasingly long, ever-more-pointless fight scenes between increasingly minor characters
    My favorite episode of Ancient Aliens was the Norse one, because they made a big deal about how Thor's hammer was clearly "A Kinetic Energy Weapon".

In case you didn't know, all hammers are kinetic energy weapons. Also kinetic energy weapons: fists and rocks.
  • OpAPHID said:

OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

yeah i guess?

i never watched much DBZ

Bleach started out interesting to me and then it just kinda devolved into a series of increasingly long, ever-more-pointless fight scenes between increasingly minor characters
    honestly I shouldn't defend it.

I only ever watched Bleach (or most [adult swim] anime) at like 2am, while zonked out of my mind, and eating potato chips.

I could really not tell you a thing about Bleach, FMA, Ghost in The Shell....
    Torgo said:

My favorite episode of Ancient Aliens was the Norse one, because they made a big deal about how Thor's hammer was clearly "A Kinetic Energy Weapon".

In case you didn't know, all hammers are kinetic energy weapons. Also kinetic energy weapons: fists and rocks.
    But was it a Memory Erasure Apparatus?
  • Torgo said:

I liked the one about the underwater Japanese pyramid.

because A) it had like literally dozens of perfectly mundane explanations

but mostly B) cuz it was really pretty

OpAPHID said:

OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

yeah i guess?

i never watched much DBZ

I only ever watched Bleach (or most [adult swim] anime) at like 2am, while zonked out of my mind, and eating potato chips.

basically like

everything that i say is great about FMA, Bleach did the exact opposite
    Hunter X Hunter and JJBA are basically superhero shows, when you get down to it, I just realized
  • OpAPHID said:

OpAPHID said:

OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

yeah i guess?

i never watched much DBZ

basically like

everything that i say is great about FMA, Bleach did the exact opposite
    I was REAL tired, yo
    yeah fair enough, i'm just saying why i don't really rate Bleach very highly
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    OpAPHID said:

OpAPHID said:

tempted to say Bleach

yeah i guess?

i never watched much DBZ

I pretty much completely agree with you.

I still don't think it's the worst TV show I've ever watched, though. Maybe that would be Glee?
    I knew someone who had a hobby of asking teenagers to explain the plot of Twilight whenever he had a chance.

It was a consistently amazing experience.
  • Worst TV I've ever watched was 1000 Ways to Die. Now that is some fucking garbage exploitative ass shit.
    The worst TV show I ever watched was your favorite show, that one that is really important to you, personally.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-10-09 14:41:46
    I think the two worst shows I've ever actually been hooked on were the Ameri-Canadian version of Skins and The Bad Girls Club. (I still think Skins had the potential to improve with time, though.)

Glee started strong but lost a lot of steam after about two and a half seasons, and then after Cory Monteith passed I lost pretty much all desire to try to keep up with it.

Seth McFarlane's work is also kind of circling the drain too at this point. Something about the balls-to-the-wall OFFEND EVERYBODY ALWAYS approach his stuff takes appealed to me in my early adolescence, but I've grown out of it.

FMA(B) is one of those shows that only makes sense if you see it from the beginning, but it's really good. (I credit the original anime for getting me interested, but I haven't watched it in years and I don't really plan to after binging Brotherhood with my brother.)
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Not Blue's Clues!
  • my dad used to watch EastEnders a lot