The Steelers suck and American Football is a dumb sport

Comments

• any state having multiple teams is weird

we should redistribute the footbol
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    there are 32 teams in the NFL, and these states have more than one: California (3), Florida (3), Texas (2), Missouri (2), Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (2), technically New Jersey (both New York City teams play here) and Maryland (Baltimore and Washington)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it isn't about states, it's about markets

in which Imi states the obvious
  • edited 2015-07-02 04:42:06
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

any state having multiple teams is weird

we should redistribute the footbol
    California is huge and Northern and Southern California having a team each, at the very least, makes sense.  Not entirely sure about, like, the Lakers and Clippers playing hoopsketball in the same arena though
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    but at the very least, LA and NYC can economically support multiple teams in the same league, weird as it is
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-07-02 07:06:00
    My dad and elder sister are both hardcore Steelers fans, to the point where merely hearing this thread's title would be enough to send both on long-winded rants about football.

My mom likes the Giants and my brother likes the Chargers. I couldn't give less of a fuck about football if I tried.
    I'm not a Broncos fan but you mentioning the Chargers reminded me that it's always so weird to see people around here with cars emblazoned with stuff to do with the Broncos' divisional rivals (the Raiders are the big one, but there's also the Chargers and Chiefs too)
    Mother is a Broncos fan, she used to hate the Raiders back when they were good and hates the Chargers because she thinks Phillip Rivers is a crybaby
    My favorite thing about the Chargers is that their mascot is dril as a lightning bolt guy
    also their theme song

Denver doesn't seem to abide by songs like this :(
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Down here, we get a lot of "it's not racist and we're not changing the name". :P
    I think it should be changed...
  • Anonus said:

As a member of the racial minority in question I..........don't really care
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-07-04 02:09:39

Anonus said:

Green Bay has the Packers logo and "Titletown, U.S.A." in their city seal

Via osmosis I got kind of bummed when the Seahawks came back to win the NFC title game last season (for obvious reasons) until the other side shook out and their opponent became known
    Well, I guess the Packers are probably the thing that Green Bay is most known for, so I think that makes some sense. They are pretty unique in U.S. pro sports in being a super popular team located in a small city. I think it is unlikely for that sort of thing to happen elsewhere; the Pack are kind of an anomaly in having so much success despite their small media market and being owned by the community rather than an owner.
    Anonus said:

Yeah, racism has no place in sports. I guess people get attached to names like that because that is how they have always known their team. That said, it seems to me that the tradeoff of not being able to call your team what you have always called them or have the mascot you have always had is quite minimal compared to the benefit of no longer using a racial slur or caricature of a group of people who have historically been treated terribly in the U.S.
    I'm not sure why Dan Snyder is so stubborn about it (aside from him being a horse's ass), but I can also see people considering the "change the name" thing as adding insult to injury. Not one of Washington's teams in American football, basketball or hockey have won a championship since the team in question won the Super Bowl in early 1992—indeed, they tend to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on a regular basis—and not only do people blame Snyder for this, I wouldn't be surprised if the naming controversy enters into this.
    It would be very expensive to change "Redskins" to something else. New logos would have to be commissioned. Signage and stationery would have to be replaced. He could afford it though.
    don't teams change logos all the time

also didn't dan snyder literally lose his trademark
    Still, it's amazing how married he is to this. Not even the Orioles were as nasty about the whole MASN thing.
    the Redskins have had the same logos (main and wordmark) for decades - also the NFL seems to be immune to the fads of sports design that take other leagues by storm and then pretty much totally disappear a few years later
  • edited 2015-07-04 07:45:45
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    lee4hmz said:

Still, it's amazing how married he is to this. Not even the Orioles were as nasty about the whole MASN thing.

I think it's just he's made such a bluster about it that he thinks that if he backs down now, he'll be seen as less of a man or something like that.
  • My city has an ice hockey team called The Steelers.

Because Sheffield is also known as the Steel City.
    They totally ripped us off!
    well the Steelers were originally the "Pirates" so
    did our baseball team rip off our football team or what
    the los angeles lakers not changing their name when they moved from minnesota is funny shit

that and the utah jazz not changing it when they moved from new orleans

did our baseball team rip off our football team or what

It was the other way around

You have to remember that baseball largely came first

(this is why the NFL's New York Giants are called that - they took their name from the team now in San Francisco)
    but the Penguins were always the Penguins!
    Why am I even talking about sports? Overrated waste of time
    http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-pittsburgh-steelers-1725629956

I think this is the most virulently angry one he's ever done for them
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    -Our moronic fans can’t leave Western PA without packing their goddamn Terrible Towels so they can take pictures with them at various landmarks. If you’re at the Great Wall of China or the fuckin Eiffel Tower, enjoy the view and put the towel away. There was actually a slideshow of this on the Post Gazette’s website.
    the Terrible Towel is a strange and baffling phenomenon.
    I wish the Steelers weren't so hideously awful

Their hated Ravens suck too, they're the NFL's 13-year-old going through a rebellious phase
  • what makes a football team good
    no one knows
    Morally? As best as I can tell, having players who don't embroil themselves in bad shit or do absurdly right-wing-wet-dream stuff like return their kids' participation trophies
    so there are no good teams.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Teams are entirely made up of wandering mercenaries, and it's obscene that they command loyalty.
  • Odradek said:

Teams are entirely made up of wandering mercenaries, and it's obscene that they command loyalty.

this is basically what i think but phrased more strongly
  • edited 2015-08-25 19:22:56
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's an even more strange and baffling phenomenon than the Terrible Towel.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I like American Football.

-shameliroz-
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I dunno, I kinda wish one of our major league teams could win a title because it would feel like something happening to/in Denver
    naney said:

what makes a football team good

being in los angeles between 1995 and 2015
    Calica said:

naney said:

also being a pro team.  no college football team is good
  • edited 2015-08-25 21:53:02
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

Morally? As best as I can tell, having players who don't embroil themselves in bad shit or do absurdly right-wing-wet-dream stuff like return their kids' participation trophies

lolwut
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

Calica said:

naney said:

I can't hear you over the sound of The Ohio State Buckeyes being the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Calica said:

Calica said:

naney said:

I can't hear you over the sound of The Ohio State Buckeyes being the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    you get a real college and national champions, I get 43-8