Olden age Golden age: Free comics liveblogged by Odradek

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    That car story was actually pretty funny.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

The Storyteller Story-Teller tells stories to keep his mind off these children's vaguely unsettling faces

This is the plot to Dark City

More or less.

Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings!

And thus, we learn that one's station is determined from birth and one must never try to rise above it.

Next Time: The final story of this comic!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That was probably one of the weaker stories from this comic so far

Also why is Alice leaning so far out that window? It's an accident waiting to happen

I've been there, Alice.

The snow shoes are a nice touch.

Also: This is what Donald Trump actually believes causes climate change.

Gasp! a shyster! A hooligan! A n'er-do-well!

Haha! It's funny because Alice's parents hate her imagination!

Next time: Jane's pick

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Why did Alice's parents name her Alice and give her the Alice dress if they didn't want her to...y'know, be Alice?

If the slinking figure doesn't turn out to be a man named Crime Smasher, I will be disappointed.

For a second I was confused because I thought the other guys were criminals and we just missed the scene of police breaking the fight up. But it turns out they were cops and somehow the criminal got away anyway because they forgot to turn on flashlights or something.

JEEPERS!

Their only clue is that the killer has a fetish for girls who sound like Bugs Bunny.

She takes "Live fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse" VERY seriously mr. murderer.

Good job Sally! You're already more competent than Space Detective

Next time:
  • kill living beings
    that was... impressively dull
    That milkman panel justifies the entire comic, IMO.

Guys, guys

You are in the press, you do not need to solve crimes before the police do, this is not how this works

I don't care if you're a "sob-sister" or not.

THAT IS NOT HOW FAINTING WORKS

I think Ray Hale might just hate women

Thank you for that motivation infodump

Just goes to show: Never trust a "sob-sister"

Well that was some nothing.

Next time: 

• kill living beings
    what on earth is a sob sister.
    That silhouette panel on the last page is kinda cool, admittedly.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sob_sister

No idea why one would be investigating dope smuggling
    Myra turned out to be a bad guy, so it's totally OK that the other dude punched her in the face in the beginning

That's how fiction works, right?
  • edited 2017-08-18 23:49:30
    My dreams exceed my real life

Lana's a little nervous trying to figure out if this guy is a real person or a ventriloquist dummy

She's in heels, she can't be going THAT fast

I'm glad at least one of these streetwise gumshoes is talking like a real private dick

"I'm competing with her for the heart of some red-headed dork"

Slowly beginning to wonder if this guy is who PUAs are trying to be

Oh yeah we're pre-code

I forgot

Next time: The final story of Crime Smashers!

Incidentally after I finish Crime Smashers I'm doing this

• kill living beings
    i refuse to believe anybody has ever talked like the PI douche

you were trysting with a sweetie minus a chaperone, hey

also he forces his way into a private home, i mean, cool job?
    Excited for Captain Marvel.
    The part with the traffic stop was kind of funny, if you think about it

He willingly pulled over, despite having a murder suspect in the car, and only once he let the cop get a good look at said murder suspect did he think to make a run for it

Calling it now: Mark did it

You know I've noticed these crime stories have a higher density of female protagonists than superhero or horror stories did

"Thank God for my porcelain skin and glassy eyes!"

Wow, some shitty police work here from whoever investigated here first.

In a second, this is going to turn into Demonic Toys and it's gonna turn out this was secretly a horror comic all along.

And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling dame!

Well that was blandly underwhelming. Next time: 

• kill living beings
    What the fuck was the point of the window guy? Adding more characters so you can mistake him for the criminal? It's not a lengthy story
    Because I'm Central Avenue, I'd like to point out that this fictional department store shares its name with a defunct discount store chain owned by Big Bear.

Also, it's nice that they at least bothered to establish that the package chute existed ahead of time, instead of just pulling it out as a deus ex machina at the last minute.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "Something's happening! I'd better describe it out loud!"

I can only assume that anytime anything bad is mentioned in his vicinity, Mark the window guy loudly insists that he didn't do it.
    "Man, traffic in this town. As I was driving here, some jerk ran a red light and nearly hit me."
    "That wasn't me! I've been here all day."
    "Did you hear about the fire at the grocery store on Second Avenue? Whole shop burned down."
    "I didn't do it. Never even been there."
    "Oh, look, it's raining."
    "I don't know anything about that!"

Dr. Sivana also clearly a gremlin.

I admire Billy's commitment to his job, but this really deserves at least a newsreel or photographed newspaper article, not a radio recording.

Clarence the Maniac Man was the name I wrestled under back in my backyard wrestling days.

Lovelia is weirdly chill about a giant gigantopithecus looking motherfucker threatening to murder everyone if she doesn't bang him.

You know, I admire the creativity and humor of this action scene, considered how many boring ones I've seen with super strong golden age superheroes at this point.

Don't manhandle Aliroz's great-grandad like that, Captain Marvel.

So two questions:
    1: Why were there prehistoric earth animals on venus plus a Gorillion?
    2: Was Sivana actually doing anything illegal here? Clarence let the animals out.

Captain Marvel in: Animal Cruelty

Next time:   image
  • edited 2017-09-21 19:35:45
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The narration in this story is a bit overbearing, but it's basically forgivable to me, since it kinda gives off the vibe of picture book storytelling, as opposed to the obnoxious nature of narration in some other stories in this thread. 
  • edited 2017-09-21 19:35:05
    kill living beings
    1) as astronomers can tell you, venus is a jungle world perfect for raising giant beasts
    2) Migratory Bird Treaty violation
    I love how this story ends with the hero bragging about his own accomplishments in the news media
    Update this tomorrow you jerk
  • edited 2017-10-14 00:09:55
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ILLBLEED said:

Update this tomorrow you jerk

youre banned for personal attacks against HH user ILLBLEED

Alright! Golden Arrow! I have no idea what his deal is and I refuse to look it up. Because he has a bow and rides bareback, I assume it's some deeply problematic thing involving Native Americans

Hehehehehe "Bronk Braddock"

Oh shit he's a tracker. My worry about that backstory has increased

Can horses swim? I also don't feel like looking that up.

Wal! Put me to soak!

Caramba! Was this written by a markov chain?

Well that was boring and not worth the wait. What's next time? 

The hero was originally Roger Parsons, the son of inventor Paul Parsons, who had developed a new type of gas for transportation by balloon. A greedy competitor, Brand Braddock, plotted to stop Mr. Parsons, and did so by shooting down a balloon Parsons was using to test the formula. Mr. Parsons, his wife Gloria, and his son Roger were all aboard the balloon. The two adults died when the balloon crashed in a sparsely populated area of the Western United States, while the baby miraculously survived.[1]

An old prospector named Nugget Ned raised the child as his own, teaching him to fend for himself and developing the boy into a skilled archer. On his deathbed, the old man told the now-grown boy of his origins, and the young man, calling himself "Golden Arrow", set out, with the help of his stallion White Wind, to avenge his father and right other wrongs throughout the West[1]

Although the comic appeared to be set in the Old West, in Whiz Comics #43 Golden Arrow had an adventure with Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher, which would indicate that the setting was actually contemporary.

• kill living beings
    bronk is my real name :(

also wow what the fuck is that backstory?

also also, i love the complete lack of real action on the bridge page
    Artist's impression of Nugget Ned

File:Portrait pete.png
  • edited 2017-10-15 04:51:15
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    So, is Golden Arrow actually deputized or something? Because it's literally just his word against Brute and Bronk's that they implicated themselves by trying to meet up with the racist Mexican stereotype.

I can't believe School of Seven Bells wrote a song about Golden Arrow's horse.

Update this tomorrow you STUPID FUCK

Coming in media res in a story that presumably had earlier chapters in early issues! But as it is, I don't know who Lance O'Casey is, or why he's shipwrecked, or why he's friends with a monkey and an expirate named Dan'l Doom, or why he's competent enough to build a boat but not enough to tie it

What they don't show you is the five times they missed the boat and had to pull Mister Hogan's drowning monkey body back to shore

MAN these comics get racist suddenly

She's so mad about her father, she's turning red

I was all like "Oh fun pirate adventure, this will be good" but then racism, all of a sudden without warning

Her dad looks like that one stripper dude from Boogie Nights

And so they sail off, to find a less racist story to be in

Next time: 
  • kill living beings
    prevaricatin'
  • edited 2018-02-08 05:10:36
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    What the heck was Dan'l Doom's accent even supposed to be? Is he an Appalachian hillbilly pirate?

I'm skeptical of the plan to construct a ship out of the dead skeletons of other ships that failed to reach their destinations, but I guess that's why I'm not a lantern-jawed adventurer.

Alright, spy smasher! We already smashed crime, so time for spies. 

Man they really did change The Mask a lot in the transition from comic to screen

We used to have an old mill at Kennywood. Got replaced by a Garfield ride

Huh, is that a real ride? I've never seen one before. Did people die on it or something?

Man these action scenes are so stiff and reliant on narration

Well that was boring, and I did not see one single spy get smashed

Next time:

Not gonna lie: It's all been downhill since Captain Marvel
  • kill living beings
    some days you can't get rid of a bomb

also spy smasher is the american name for SMERSH
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "But you won't need a bodyguard at a place like that."

Either that bodyguard is terminally stupid, or he's actually a double agent working for The Mask. (In which case he's still stupid, because he could have just murdered the old guy in his own house.)
    Update this tomorrow you lazy dumb moron

Hehehe, "Carol Clews"

Dude you found out the Chinese Wax Exhibit is petrifying people, you have enough to arrest on now

Even by the standards of golden age comics, that "you are now immune to poison" thing is p. silly

Were people back then just unable to tell stories that didn't have racist shit in them? How many diabolical chinamen and savage tribesmen do you REALLY NEED?

It's a sad story when racism is the most interesting thing

Next time:  image
    I have to say, after I finish this comic I'm gonna start skipping boring-ass true crime stories when they come up

They're all the same story starring the exact same asshole
  • kill living beings
    sorry are you saying a villainous oriental cryonically murdering people is true crime
    Well not true crime but like

Some boring dude with an anglo-saxon last name and possibly an interesting first name and his lady companion go solve some crime that involves the lady pretending to get kidnapped
  • kill living beings
    extremely boring crime

christ, even in opium smugglers of venus the chick gets kidnapped

Jesus Christ don't nickname your presumable best friend "Blimp" Scoop, he's not even that heavy

I was gonna skip this one, but then I saw the octopus

Show of hands: Was anyone NOT expecting the bad guy to be the smuggler they made a point of mentioning on the first page?

And then Blimp and Scoop died of smoke inhalation

Guy in the last panel has yaoi hands

Next time, in the last story of Whiz Comics #6