Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    One more time
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    BEWARE.
    Since the votes were even, I am going to do Beware, then Space Detective

Tentacle Casper's gonna getcha

So anyway our boy Clarence here is trapped in an unhealthy marriage to a gold digger who is cheating on him with what I have to assume is Mobster Jimmy Olsen

Time for an entirely different Tales from the Crypt setup to come in!

So that night Clarence has a nightmare where he sees white slug creatures rising from the sea. The slug creatures tell him that he is one of them in spirit, and they shall come for him. He wakes up screaming and his wife tells him to shut up.

I THINK he snapped his neck. The artwork makes it sort of unclear.

TIME FOR A BODY HORROR CLIMAX

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I figured that was some kind of super-weak two-handed punch/shove. Not a neck snap. Awkwardly and unclearly drawn, either way.
  • "out of the filth and mud-spawned deep it came" oh same
    BTW bad news: I checked ahead and the eyeball shoggoth does not seem to appear in the actual comic
    Further disappointments: That Space Detective comicbook doesn't actually have any space detectives.
  • kill living beings
    that sucks but i'm kind of okay with the ridiculousness of sea creatures that do indeed look like casper
  • edited 2016-12-18 05:56:24
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Wrong thread

This is gonna get racist isn't it? Like, really racist?

RIP Bird and Squirrel. May you find a less racist comic than this in the beastlands.

Oops rest of the comic will be here in a minute

Beware! Comics presents The Horrible Offering: A woodland animal will die on every page!

Janet does't believe Ran about the cat, and finally decides to walk out.

THE END

At least it wasn't as racist as I feared? WAY more animal cruelty than I was expecting though.
    Next time! 
    That Ran guy seems like he was pretty unhinged to begin with. If he hadn't found that racist statue, he would have found some other excuse to murder small animals.

"The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge Number 216, DEMANDS SACRIFICE! Look, the front stoop is an altar to receive my daily gifts of blood!"
    bump
    WRITE ANOTHER UPDATE FOR THIS TOMORROW DUMBASS
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Good luck!

This is kinda Poe-esque and I'm digging it so far! Looking forward to seeing this asshole get his from his zombie aunt

Anyway our boy Brian tries to drown his fears in wine, women and song, but it turns out that the talk about the grinning dead aunt freaks out the ladies.

I'm not joking here

So Brian keeps having visions of turning into his aunt and seeing her take his body, so he heads to the graveyard with a gun to see if she's really dead

Wow, bad luck all around.

Next time: The last story in Beware!

Bump

Glad to be almost done with horror anthology comics for now tbh
    Yeah, it'll be good to move on to something new.
  • can I make a suggestion? It may be a bit late in the game for this but stuff like this works amazingly as a tumblr.

I think he intended it to be a thread here, but cross-posting it to a Tumblr might work too.
    I shall consider it

What a stroke of luck for this unhappy family! Unfortunately their aunt forgot to mention the unsightly mad old crone infestation.
    I like that despite being willing to throw her out on her ass five seconds ago, they still let Old Nell be alone with their son.
    So this is where One-Eyed Willy buried his treasure!

Run away! Old Nell is giving the Live Long and Prosper symbol! She knows her Star Trek, and is no fan of pirates!

Indeed who DOES know? Certainly not the author/artist, who just realized they met the minimum number of pages for a story.

Next time

• kill living beings
    thanks nell, you've secured the one happy ending in this anthology of death

lmao at that last panel

and DEFINITELY looking forward to opium smugglers of venus
    Old Nell probably thinks everyone she meets is a ghost at this point. That’s why she isn't angry that she was sitting on a fortune all these years, then some random family showed up and made off with the money after threatening to kick her out.

Fun fact: Rod Hathaway and Dot Kenny are the great great great great great grandchildren of Anne Hathaway and Tom Kenny, respectively

You can't prove they aren't.

Rod likes to give back to the poor to assuage his guilt over giving his hot secretary the worse name and costume when they fight crime.
    In the future, we use rays for everything. You didn't see it, but all of Rod's money is contained in bank rays, and he eats food rays for breakfast

Show us how you detective, space detective! Make a brilliant deduction!

Okay that's only an okay deduction, and you know it Rod

It's a good thing nobody's armed so Rod and Dot can just defeat all these guys with the power of punches

Instead of using their punch-rays

WILL Rod and Dot ever catch Maag? WHAT does the dastardly space-pirate have planned? And WHY does Rod get two codenames when his secretary who he might or might not be in a relationship with only gets one that just sounds like a name? Find out next time on THE OPIUM SMUGGLERS OF VENUS
  • kill living beings
    i feel like a big ol hole in the sky would be pretty noticeable, especially to modern computer vision rays
    I'm amused that they have superhero code names but don't disguise their faces at all. They must be banking on their civilian identities not being known.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh lordy, a page that's not typeset or Varityped! I like it!
    Bump
    That preview page looks way better than the actual comic.
  • kill living beings
    yeah no kidding. where's the fucking opium? you boring bastards didn't need a comics code to restrict this wuss shit
    You know, this comic doesn't overdo the narration as much as the other action comics have. It's got that going for it.

yeah no kidding. where's the fucking opium? you boring bastards didn't need a comics code to restrict this wuss shit

Next story
  • kill living beings
    oh ok awesome i'm hype

Okay so like, Dot and Rod are totally fucking right? It's weird if they aren't.

That x-ray BETTER just let him see skeletons because if not, Rod should be arrested.

This would be SUCH a twist if they hadn't given it away on literally the first page.

The Venus Poppies is definitely my favorite 60s psychedelic girlgroup.

Well that was lame and I barely cared. But hey opium. On Venus. It's there.

Next time: TRAIL TO THE ASTEROID HIDEOUT
  • kill living beings
    yeah ow but: venusian jungles, classic. setting off a friggin nuke, less so

and:cosmetic stick, really now
    Awfully convenient that the opium factory's latitude and longitude were both whole degrees. No decimals or minutes or seconds or anything.

I'm a bit unclear on why Avenger and Teena initially intend to interview Sirrah Vau, then upon seeing him give his subordinates a letter to deliver to an actress, they immediately suspect Sirrah—enough to assault his messengers and steal the letter.
  • kill living beings
    and where's their warrant??
    Eh, comicbook law enforcement. "The kids reading don't care about due process!"

Also, gotta love the part where Avenger slugs Sirrah Vau to the floor and then... just lets him run away while he uses his X-Ray to confirm that he's actually Maag. Because clearly, establishing his identity is more important than catching him as soon as possible. It's not like you just saw him murder a woman so he's a wanted criminal regardless of any alternate identities he may or may not have, right?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    <3

Incidentally I should probably do a Captain Marvel story at some point

Note: Space Detective is published by Avon Comics, not Hillman Periodicals. If they were published by Hillman Periodicals, I would be congratulating them on sneaking that word in.

Sadly hypnosis ray testimonies are still not permissible in court

If there's no sound, no one will realize the building blew up! Martians don't have eyes!

Remember: If you have a fishbowl on your head, the vacuum of space means nothing.

And Maag is DEFEATED by his inability to properly manage two hostages at once.

Next week we're done with Space Detective but we still have one more story left in this comic. Tune in on Wednesday for the adventures of Lucky Dale, Girl Detective!

• edited 2017-02-22 20:06:37
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    That first page: having two panels at the bottom with different heights is a bit confusing. It's not immediately obvious whether you're supposed to read the taller panel first, or the leftmost one.

Inaudible dynamite and an invisible starship, huh?
    "Pew pew pew! I shot you with my high-powered ultraviolet laser gun! You’re dead now!"
    "Not so fast, Maag! I’m wearing my infrared energy armor, so I’m immune to your attacks!"
    "Fine! But that armor is useless against the inaudible grenade from my invisible grenade launcher!"
    "While you were talking, Teena sabotaged your grenade launcher!"
    "Yes, but..."
    "And I used my hypno-ray to convince all your henchmen to switch to my side!"
    "You can't..."
    "And Teena set off the silent alarm, so the Space Police will be here any minute!"
    "MOM! Avenger won't stop cheating!"

Maag finds out the hard way why you cuff your prisoners so their arms are BEHIND them.

The lesson for space criminals is: If you see your most hated enemy drifting helpless in space, don't get greedy. Just shoot them. Or leave them to die, if you absolutely need to be cruel about it.

This hot lady detective and elderly sea captain are friends. Don't question why, they just are.
    River cops are famously incompetent

You know you could at least try to change out of that diaphonous red dress that's almost certainly soaking wet at this point

Well that was dry and perfunctory BUT THERE'S ONE THING MORE

HAHAHAHA Oh that Skelly! That's just like him! I assume

Next time: image

You know, after so many action comics where half of the story was told via narration boxes, it's nice to see one that lets the art and dialogue mostly speak for themselves.

On that last page, those are some weird and rather confusing panel shapes. I wonder why... Oh, it's so we can see Lucky's legs better in that middle panel. Of course.
    Wait one minute, these guys are gangsters of boats

I owe Imi an apology
    bump
    Coming back on Wednesday