Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil

edited 2015-06-05 20:59:10 in General Media
The new Disney XD show created by Daron Nefcy, the first Disney animated series created by a woman since Pepper Ann, and one of the Centiest concepts for a TV series out there. This is a thread about it.

Comments

• STAR BOY! AND THE CAPTAIN OF OUTER SPAAACE
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    fighting the forces of evil is such a trite concept
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

fighting the forces of evil is such a trite concept

YOUR FACE is a trite concept
    well......yeah
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    But seriously, did you expect Central Avenue to pass up a show about a magic princess who fights monsters?
    well......no
    Marco's ringtone from "Cheer Up Star":

• Watching more of this thanks to Disney XD's reruns.

I'm still Marco, but with Star's lack of organizational skills.
  • edited 2015-04-25 16:02:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

Watching more of this thanks to Disney XD's reruns.

I'm still Marco, but with Star's lack of organizational skills.

I take it you're on "Quest Buy"
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-04-25 01:06:14
    That one and a few others aired: Star takes the Diaz parents on a daycation to Muney (sp?) Mewni whilst avoiding her own parents, and then one where Marco and Star crashed the school's resident cool girl's birthday party.

Too lazy to dig for the episode names at the moment, but I enjoyed what I saw. I feel like it could probably benefit from a larger set of rotating villains besides Ludo and co. (though, admittedly, getting Alan Tudyk for a regular role was a spectacular choice), but to have just started I'm quite impressed.
    Check it out: Daron Nefcy's original concept comics:

It's amusing to see how much has changed since then. The concept's definitely been Disney'd up, though not necessarily in a bad way.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-05-28 16:07:15
    On one hand, I'd like to see a show like what the comics did, with the main character being a kid that believes they have superpowers when they actually don't. It's very Calvin and Hobbes-y, in a way.

On the other hand, the version of the concept that did end up making it to TV is probably more suited to Star's character (and, for that matter, Marco's, who was initially conceived as Star's shonen anime nerd counterpart and bitter rival).

Also Ponyhead was totes a severed Pinkie Pie head at that point, 'cept with different eyes and a horn. Totes.
    Like I said on Tumblr, the original concept (girl who has imaginary magical powers) is basically me in real life, whereas the concept of the show (girl who literally has magical powers) is basically my Princess Alice persona.

That said, it would have been interesting to see where the comic went with that premise.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_the_Vampire Apparently this show is that.

My little brothers like it, but they like Johnny Test
  • Remember when Johnny Test ripped off Green Day for their intro?

No, no, no, this Johnny Test won't do at all. This is a thread about a good cartoon!
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-05-28 17:16:41
    imageimage

while we rerail this train, can we just take a moment to appreciate Marco Diaz's feet

such majesty
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    At the risk of sounding like Anonus, I would like to see a series about Ralph Philips, whose cartoons had a premise similar to that of the original Star comics.
    So basically where I'm at right now is that Steven Universe satisfied my need for heartwarming cartoons and this show statisfies my need for pure comedy and magical princess hijinks.

As Anonus wants people to say: where was this stuff when I was a kid?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ferg keeping the figurine of the pixie queen 'for later' . . . o_O

fsjal reference was funny tho
    Tachyon said:

Ferg keeping the figurine of the pixie queen 'for later' . . . o_O

I thought that was pretty funny myself
    Especially in an "I can't believe Disney let them get away with that" kinda way

Though if Gravity Falls is any indication Disney XD shows can get away with quite a lot these days
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it registered to me as over the line, although actually now i'm wondering if a similar line from Mabel would have seemed equally inappropriate . . . i'm not sure it would.

hm.

i think it was the voice he used when he said it as much as anything
    "You have mother issues!"

"Yay, I have mother issues!!"

"No, that's bad."

"Aw, I have mother issues..."
    OMG it happened

Spoiler:
    we got a villain other than Ludo
    "I am so excited to be covered in blood with you"

in a DISNEY cartoon!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

OMG it happened

Spoiler:
    I'm thinking I'll like Toffee more than Ludo, though that's probably because he's just my styyyyyyllle.

^ That was great.
    Crystal said:

OMG it happened

Spoiler:
    I'm thinking I'll like Toffee more than Ludo, though that's probably because he's just my styyyyyyllle.
    You think he's gonna stay a lit-tle whi-le?
    ...is it just me, or has every horse we've seen so far been a unicorn?
    I get the impression Ms. Nefcy likes unicorns a little. :P
    Party Bus? More like Parday Bus
    I like how Marco is so used to magical crap that he loops back into mostly caring about wet socks. Also, I ship Jackie/Marco (I guess).
  • imageimage

Pilgrim game too stroooooooooooong.
  • edited 2015-07-29 05:33:06
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have now watched a few episodes of this show.

In general, it is just a decently amusing show that puts a smile on my face. I wouldn't like to watch it all the time, but sometimes, it can be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I do have to admit that Flying Princess Pony Head is a genuinely inspired creation, though.
    It's still so weird to hear Matt Chapman’s Homsar voice coming out of a normal teenager.
    Okay, the Lobster Claws episode is superb, too.
    but also disturbing
    Star consistently referring to it as Pony Head's "birthday day" was cute, and totally in character for her.

Spoiler:
    Also, we've got two villains going after Star, and now one going after Marco as well!

And here Tre and I were worried that we'd only get Ludo the one-trick pony
  • And Marco's parents

man, Marco's parents

that chest-hair strum in the annivesary episode
    – Star
    – Queen Butterfly
    ♣ – Miss Heinous

So...who is ♠? :o
    Between the squalor the peasants live in and the thinly-veiled genocide of the monsters in "Mewnependence Day", Mewni is turning out to be Not That Great A Place.

I'm hoping this is the build-up to Star having had enough and deciding to make a change for the better.
  • edited 2015-08-21 02:20:46
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I hope ♠ is Toffee, and he just hasn't been revealed as such. Alternatively if it isn't Toffee, he gets fed up with the incompetency of his peers and hangs with Star and co. for a little while. And then he's, like, the ultimate bad guy or something. Basically anything that involves more of him in this show.

And yeah, I do too Centie, I just don't see it happening for a bit. I mean, only recently did she give Buff Frog a bit of the Mewnipendance Day food
    Huh, I hadn't considered Toffee as ♠ because the other three suits are humanoid royalty, but I suppose it's a possibility...