Gathering some Magics

Comments

• well, there's always tutoring + Brainstorming or really, anything that allows you to top deck the cards that you need to top deck.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

<3
  • You just like him because you think he's hot. :P

Rulings

9/22/2011If Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield before its first ability has resolved, its second ability will trigger and do nothing. Then its first ability will resolve and exile the targeted creature indefinitely.
  • Yeah, someone on MTGS suggested using him with Helvault to do that. Leonin Relic-Warder works the same way.
    If there are no nonland permanents on the battlefield other than an Oblivion Ring, and the card it exiled was another Oblivion Ring, casting a third Oblivion Ring will result in an involuntary infinite loop that will end the game in a draw (unless someone chooses to break it by putting another nonland permanent onto the battlefield or destroying one of the Oblivion Rings, for example).

Pffffft

That makes me giggle
  • I'm pretty sure there's a really brutal combo that involves abusing Worldgorger Dragon in a similar fashion.
  • Can I just say that I love "Reanimate"?

Not the most practical card in the world but it's sofuckingcooool

I may have a fixation on necromancy. Just possibly. >_>

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

This is why the dragon is banned in many formats:

Basically, you get the dragon into your graveyard, possibly through Entomb.image

Then you put animate dead on it.

However, when the Dragon comes into play, you must remove all permanents, including Animate Dead...so the dragon goes back in the Graveyard, and all your permanents come back. This INCLUDES animated dead. So you're free to do it each time.

The kicker is, the lands return untapped every time, so you can generate unlimited mana.

This could easily power a turn two X card that does billions, trillions, etc... points of damage.

If that card is Consume Spirit, then the caster also gains that much life.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "
    Can I just say that I love "Reanimate"?"

You should look at Reanimator Decks

There's even a few worse creatures than that mentions that people throw in.
  • Globe: If you like necromancy, then you ought to spend some time hanging out with Liliana.

Y'know what would be fun? Kessig Cagebreakers + Postmortem Lunge, to counteract the whole "they don't have haste" problem.
  • edited 2012-01-21 16:25:39
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Though the thing with Consume Spirit is, unless there's another creature in a graveyard or you started out with a Leyline of Anticipation, you'd have to use something at instant speed to win. If one of the lands was Blackcleave Cliffs, you could pull it off with Comet Storm or Ghitu Fire; can't think of anything that'd do in monoblack off the top of my head.

And reanimate owns. Though I think I prefer Animate Dead and Necromancy, just because of the beautiful interaction they have with Sun Titan (which is possibly my favorite card, just for all the hijinks it enables).

^ Mm, good stuff. I bet there's a deck in there: Splinterfright to load up your graveyard, Postmortem Lunge to retrieve the Cagebreakers from it and throw it at your opponent's face.
  • hm.

Interesting.

Globe: If you like necromancy, then you ought to spend some time hanging out with Liliana.

Who? (I apologize if this is an injoke and I just haven't gotten it yet).

And reanimate owns. Though I think I prefer Animate Dead and Necromancy, just because of the beautiful interaction they have with Sun Titan (which is possibly my favorite card, just for all the hijinks it enables).

That would require a Black/White deck to at least some extent. Which is a pretty interesting concept, though probably not a new one.

I don't know what Necromancy does, I shall go look it up.

• edited 2012-01-21 16:28:41
    I think that's actually a throwaway idea someone posted on MTGS that no-one ever really did anything with rather than my own idea.

I'll be interested to see how self-mill decks fare after DKA. I mean, they have a zombie tree now, that has to count for something.
  • I love Reanimate. And it's actually more practical than you think. I think that one of the first things one must understand about playing black is that life is just as valid a resource as mana itself is. And really, paying 15 life to bring Emrakul to the field (For a rather outlandish example) in turn two is good enough, imo.
  • edited 2012-01-21 16:33:49
    Emrakul can't be in the graveyard.

Globe: The Planeswalker Liliana Vess is an important character in modern Magic story, and she's a very skilled necromancer. You should probably check out her cards (Liliana Vess and Liliana of the Veil).
  • Hey. Hypothetical question, does this card work well with Reanimate?

I mean you have to discard two cards to make it work, and assuming those are both creatures....

edit: oops. I doubleposted. >.>

• Yes, that's why it's in the Graveborn event deck.

Also look at my edit above for explanation about Liliana if you haven't already.
  • Emrakul can't be in the graveyard.
    erm, think of one that can be in the graveyard and imagine i said that.

@Superglobe: Yup. That's why it is a Reanimator Deck Staple. You might also want Demonic Collusion, which is a tutor with a buyback price of discarding two cards, which allows you to also discard cards.
  • discarding two cards, which allows you to also discard cards

Discarding cards allows you to discard cards

who knew
  • Globe: The Planeswalker Liliana Vess is an important character in modern Magic story, and she's a very skilled necromancer. You should probably check out her cards (Liliana Vess and Liliana of the Veil).

Oh, cool. Thanks, I will. :3

@Superglobe: Yup. That's why it is a Reanimator Deck Staple. You might also want Demonic Collusion, which is a tutor with a buyback price of discarding two cards, which allows you to also discard cards.

I will look that up, thanks Juan.

(also noob question time: wussa "tutor"?)

• A tutor is the slang term for a card that searches for other cards from your library.
  • Discarding cards allows you to discard cards
    who knew
    I was also surprised as hell when I found out about this
  • Globe, if you like necromancy, there are also a lot of zombie cards out there, and zombies are getting a fairly significant push with the recent sets.

Okay two things.

1) She is surprisingly good looking for someone who presumably spends most of her time around corpses, animated or otherwise.

2) I have no idea how to activate those effects on the bottom of her card. Actually, it occurs to me that I don't know how to use Planeswalker cards at all.

• edited 2012-01-21 16:49:22
    I have a zombie deck that...well, is not entirely good, but when it kicks ass, it kicks ass hard. 

I should remake it, though. Mostly because I get mana screwed with it too much for my own taste. By which I mean, once

^Planeswalkers use loyalty counters. Basically, she starts off with 3 loyalty counters, which means you can either use her +1 ability and raise her counters by one or use her -2 ability and decrease her loyalty counters by two. If she reaches zero counters, she goes on the graveyard.
  • Lil sold her soul to some demons for eternal youth or something like that. She's actually over a hundred years old.

Planeswalker rules.

• edited 2012-01-21 16:50:57
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
     I have no idea how to activate those effects on the bottom of her card. Actually, it occurs to me that I don't know how to use Planeswalker cards at all.

The 3 on the bottom right means she starts off with three loyalty counters, which are like her life--they get taken away when someone damages her, and she dies when she goes to 0 loyalty counters. 

You can use one of her abilities per turn. When you use her first ability, she gets another counter; when you use her second ability, she loses two counters. 

If you want to use her third ability, you have to build her loyalty counters up, by using her first ability repeatedly and by keeping your opponent from damaging her, until you have six.
  • So I was looking for a good counter spell (other than, y'know, Counterspell. Which is the only reason I have blue in my deck at all at this point) and I came across this;

the best thing, everybody.

• Liliana's a big player in the current storyline, along with other Planeswalkers Garruk (basically a wild man whose specialty is summoning his animal companions) and Sorin (an oddly heroic vampire whose specialty is blood magic).
  • edited 2012-01-21 17:00:21
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    It's so funny watching people learn the game, because you forget how unintuitive some of this stuff is.

^^Look at it upside down.

In case you don't wanna twist your head
  • Upside-down Man Burping Magic Vapor: The Card

Liliana's a big player in the current storyline, along with other Planeswalkers Garruk (basically a wild man whose specialty is summoning his animal companions) and Sorin (an oddly heroic vampire whose specialty is blood magic).

I saw Garruk somewhere earlier today when I was looking stuff up. Not a big fan of nature heroes, personally.

Heroic vampires are okay, depends on what kind of heroic and what kind of vampire.

• So I was looking for a good counter spell (other than, y'know, Counterspell. Which is the only reason I have blue in my deck at all at this point) and I came across this;
    I'm a big fan of this

dat flavour text
  • My thoughts exactly.
  • I can't say I like Garruk much either.

Sorin's...weird. He's still pretty much a bad person, but both of his appearances so far have had him trying to stop an apocalypse when he could just Planeswalk away, so he does have some standards.
    I like Sorin.

His general rule seems to be "Alright, I draw the line at Genocide. It's not cool."

Unfortunately for him, there are a lot of those flying around.
  • Sorin's last name is Markov?

[wmg]Teen Titans and Magic The Gathering exist in the same multiverse[/wmg]

Also I just realized that my Grave Titan has Deathtouch, I didn't know that.

I like Grave Titan. I've named mine Garry, Garland, and Gambino. :3

• Yeah, Sorin is actually the grandson of Edgar Markov, the guy who "invented" vampirism on Innistrad.
  • Well that'd certainly be an interesting thing to put on your resume', right under your honor roll in high school and graduating at the top of your class at MIT, just put "Invented Vampirism as a concept". That'll get you a job.

• Innistrad vampires are alchemical in origin, y'see. Edgar Markov was trying to figure out a way of extending life, and vampirism is what he came up with.
  • And it's hereditary?

Or did Sorin just undergo the process too?

• edited 2012-01-21 17:19:29

Quick question, what's the backstory behind Elesh Norn and his ilk? They seem very creepy / evocative, and I like them a lot, especially this card.

And I Must Scream much?
  • edited 2012-01-21 17:22:16
    I think he underwent the same process, since Sorin had already been born when Edgar made his discovery.

Elesh Norn is a woman. She's the leader of the Machine Orthodoxy, the white faction of Phyrexia, whose core purpose is to indoctrinate, furthering Phyrexian process via "encouraging" adherence to dogma. They're basically a sort of cult, even more so than the rest of Phyrexia.
  • Elesh Norn and her (She's of the female persuation) ilk are one of Phyrexia's factions. Norn herself is the head of the Machine Ortodoxy
  • Naney: That card! Lockonlockon has it in his deck and it has thwarted me more than once.

That and freakin'...whatever that one card is. Bonds of Faith, I think it's called.

• ^^(*Looks At Full Size Art*) I see that now.