ITT: The heap runs a barbarian clan into the ground

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Panurge said:

We conducted a divination

What should we do not Heap?
    Panurge said:

Okay, so this gives me a good segway to talk about an important part of King of Dragon Pass, the Heroquest.

In a Heroquest, people re-enact famous stories of the Gods, and in doing so propel themselves into the Godplane, which can produce powerful magical effects. So let's say re-enacting the time when Issaries made peace between the Long Noses and the Big Teeth can resolve feuds or help trade routes, as well as give us a lot of magic. Failing can lead to death, or messing things up on the Godplane to the point where it produces bad effects back in the normal world. Deviations from myths usually right themselves, but it's generally not a good idea.

You need to sacrifice to Gods or ask other tribes to learn about myths you don't already know. As an Elmali tribe, we only know Elmal Guards the Stead, which is a tough heroquest to do right. I'll be learning myths as we go by sacrificing to the Gods. I'm gonna aim for Issaries the Conciliator, or The Making of the Storm Tribe, because those are relatively easy powerful heroquests.

Re-enacting this battle isn't a heroquest, but it works on a similar principle.
    In case anyone missed it because new page
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    sounds good to me, let's get reenacting
    We're gonna reenact.

Should we recruit these guys, Heap?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    more weaponthanes is good, right?
  • seems legit, we lost two to that bloody pig so thank you Ancient Dude for sending us some more
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Heck yeah let's adopt the weaponthanes our ritual summoned 

How difficult would Elmali be to pull off? Anything we should be looking out for in order to do it?

A good Elmal follower, first of all. We don't have many of those.
    Also: Should I try sacrificing to Eurmal? The omen said Trickster magic was more reliable, so I can try either improving our luck or hurting the Lysangs. "More reliable" does not equal "reliable" though.
  • edited 2015-01-21 15:10:45
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Uh-oh, looks like my game crashed and none of the stuff we've been deciding for the past few days has happened.

I send out explorers to try to get the same event, and got this message instead.

Mind you, this is still good. Makes our market more profitable.

Anyway, come Fire Season, I decided to send out a Cattle Raid.

Okay some stuff to explain here. This is the battle screen. I'll be taking over when we go to battle, but events can happen during battle that I'll let you decide.

We can decide to allocate magic points to a battle, increasing our chances of winning, as well as sacrificing to Orlanth or Humakt. Enemies can attack us while we're still sacrificing, so this can be risky if they don't decide to sacrifice.

Objectives are self-explanatory.

Skirmish means attacking them from a range with spears and bows. Maneuver means trying to out-maneuver them. Charging is the headfirst option and the most aggressive one. Evade means we don't want to fight.

Because it's early on and I want those cows, I'm gonna put a point of magic into this and charge them head-on.

GOOOOO BAYBERRIES. We lost a weaponthane tho.

To celebrate, I'm sacrificing to Orlanth to try to learn some of his mysteries. I got the Rain Ritual, which helps our crops, and I'm gonna build a shrine to get a permanent boost as soon as possible.

On to Earth Season. I built the Shrine. 

Then this happens.

The Contests is a story we know, which another LP has recorded from the lore screen here 

Really, all Orlanthi should know this story.

Anyway

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): Better to tell them stories than to have to give them cows.(Offer the details of another story, or tell him what he wants to know)

Korlmar(Issaries): It costs us nothing to tell a sacred secret(same as Tarkala)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): If we teach them secrets, they will prosper in the realm of the Gods, and may bring back powerful weapons. Make sure they are our allies, and will not use these weapons against us.

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): We owe them a favor, but need not grant them exactly the favor they request.

Ernaldess(Ernalda): I don't know what happens when you tell lies about the gods, but I bet it isn't good(anything but making up the details)

Aski(Barntar): Secret stories of the gods bring blessings to those who know them.(Captain obvious)

Orlgandi(Trickster): Let me tell, let me tell! I can spin a yarn with made-up details and they'll never know the difference.(He wants us to lie)
    We tell them the details.

GODDAMNIT HEAP

Anyway, I'm gonna sacrifice to hurt the Lysangs.

Good, good.

Anyway we had a good Harvest. Then, without warning

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): They will fear our strength. Make demands with confidence.(She wants to demand tribute)

Korlmar(Issaries): It is not as if we will lose  the respect of our allies if we displace these creatures.(Make them cede half their lands)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): The ducks know their home terrain. Many a brave man has been humiliated because he underestimated a foe.(Make a peace pact)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): The ducks appear to practice a corrupted version of Orlanthi ways.(He says demand tribute)

Ernaldess(Ernalda): Let's not be too bold. You never know what strange magic members of  the Elder Races might wield.(Peace pact)

Aski(Barntar): The ducks are not of our kind. We owe no obligations to them.(Demand tribute or cede their lands).

Orlgandi(Trickster): Carls and fighters agree on something for once and we're thinking of denying them? If we don;t attack the ducks, we'll be deafened by grumbling.(Launch a surprise attack)
    He says either of the food options.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The Warleader is advising we don't attack them? That alone makes me think hostility is a bad idea.
  • MetaFour said:

The Warleader is advising we don't attack them? That alone makes me think hostility is a bad idea.

same
  • the smaller of the food options
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Demand food for 50 people as tribute because one) I know it says ducks, but what if their weaponthanes are goose-like? Geese are evil, evil. Two) I would feel kind of bad about killing a bunch of defenseless ducks if they aren't goose-like. Three) if they are goose-like, they might get mad about the bigger tribute option and slaughter us all, honking mightily. 
  • edited 2015-01-22 00:45:29
    I'll do the smaller of the two food options.

I'm gonna stop for now and give you the next choice in the morning. The game saves after choices, so I can turn it off and not worry about it crashing in the night.
    Okay, so we have a lot of sick people, so I decided to sacrifice to get Chalana Arroy's Curing blessing, which helps our sick people.

Unfortunately she wasn't feeling generous, and I got nothing.

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): This is no ordinary calf. Whoever owns it gains great fortune.(She says sacrifice or take it into her herds.)

Korlmar(Issaries): Orendal will understand if we take the calf from him.

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): We could gain great magical benefits by sacrificing the cow.

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): We can argue that it is Orendal's duty to give up the calf, provided that the whole clan would benefit.

Ernaldess(Ernalda): When Uralda's favorite calf wandered into the land of the dead, it turned white.  When Ty Kora Tek returned it, Orlanth's tribe rejoiced(sacrifice it)

Aski(Barntar): Same as Tarkala

Orlgandi(Trickster): Nobody told me white calves were special. I could probably make one any time.

Something to explain: Treasures!

Treasures are important or worthwhile objects we have that either produce a powerful magical effect or are otherwise invaluable. Even a treasure that doesn't produce a magical effect can be bargained for one that does.

Right now we have Blacktail the Bull as our only treasure, who is a big strong bull that has more calves than normal.
  • is the white calf a treasure? if so is it worth keeping around? or is that asking too much given the point of this thread is the heap running a barbarian clan into the ground with no idea what we're doing

who cares let''s sacrifice it to the cow mother, all hail imi
    The White Calf is a treasure.
    If the white calf produces a positive effect, will it still benefit the tribe if it stays in Orendal's possession? Or do we need to invoke eminent domain to nab those mad benefits?
    MetaFour said:

If the white calf produces a positive effect, will it still benefit the tribe if it stays in Orendal's possession? Or do we need to invoke eminent domain to nab those mad benefits?

You know, I'm not sure.
  • is it time to liberate the working class?

is it time to liberate the working class?

Is that a vote for letting Orendal tend to the calf?
    Right now I don't know how many votes I have, can some people clarify?
  • take the calf for our herds
    I think that tips the vote,

Next upd8 in the morning.
    Tried sacrificing to Issaries, got nothing.

Then I decided our neighbors didn't like us enough, so with the new safety net provided by the ducks, I sent some food and cows to our neighbors the Namolding as a gift. 

I sent some weaponthanes with the emmisary, which is probably part of why they're complaining.

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): We need to act, but if you like, I can simply cheer the warriors up, for now(she says compose a poem)

Korlmar(Issaries): The more time we spend looking, the better candidates we will find.(He says send him on a mission to get the best warriors around)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): If we continue to ignore the demands of the warriors they might remove their ancestral insignia. A weaponthane can give no greater rebuke to his ring(He says get new warriors even if they're outlaws)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): Precedent does not forbid us from forgiving outlaws, but we must remember that most people were outlawed for a good reason. (Anything but what Arnbord wants)

Ernaldess(Ernalda): The Carls are not worried about the lack of warriors. They are glad to have fewer mouths to feed.(Either take on only qualified candidates, or compose a poem.)

Aski(Barntar): Bad King Urgrain ignored the entreaties of his war leaders, who told him that his forces were too small to join the Battle of Kanda Fant. This is why all the tales of the Urgraini are tales of woe.(get new warriors however, he says)

Orlgandi(Trickster): Our enemies won't attack us if we're too weak to fight back; it would be dishonorable.(He says do nothing)

Send Korlmar. Pity there isn't a "Give them an inspirational poem and then recruit more warriors" option.
    I'll send Korlmar out for two seasons. We'll want him back by Earth Season.

Also that's one friend we have.

For the record, the Varmandi, the Gorind, the Namolding, and the Orlmarth like us. The Cabbage Ducks and the Lysangs hate us.
  • edited 2015-01-24 00:18:31

Cabbage Ducks, why?

I have no idea
    The ducks are a proud and grumpy race.
    We still have plenty of sick, so I sacrificed to Chalana Arroy to get her curing miracle.
    Okay, so we can do that.

This Sacred Time I put one point in war, one point in health, one in trade and mysteries, and left us with 4 magic points lying around.

I decided to sacrifice to Barntar! We don't know any of his blessings.
    I'm gonna build a shrine, to optimize our farmers. Then  this happened.

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): We don't know if these are safe to eat or not.(care for them until they hatch or trade them away)

Korlmar(Issaries): Not here

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): Our warriors need to know that we are grateful to them.(cook them and serve them to top weaponthanes)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): Whoever left these meant them as a gift. We can do whatever we want with them.

Ernaldess(Ernalda): These could be very valuable(trade them, she says)

Aski(Barntar): Same as Tarkala

Orlgandi(Trickster): Mmm I can taste them already(cook them and serve to the clan ring)
  • let's see what hatches out of them
    Maybe they're are some kind of Trojan Horse that will KILL US ALL as soon as they hatch.

Or maybe they're some magic gift from the gods crap.

I'm paralyzed by indecision.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Hatch those bitches and be ready to strike when the turn out to be murderlizards or something
  • edited 2015-01-26 23:46:58

We're gonna hatch 'em
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    awww yeah murderlizards