ITT: The heap runs a barbarian clan into the ground

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

yeah

we should fortify more, i think

how do we form alliances?  will trading with neighbours help, or is it all marriages and treaties?

You send out an emissary and ask. Preferably with gifts. You can also send out an emissary with just gifts, to make people like you more.

sunn wolf said:

is there any bad consequences if you get caught doing a cattle raid

im thinking cheeky cattle raids would be cool and good

also i dont think it was me who suggested sacrificing to whoever but i will gladly take the credit for any benefits this gives us

They'll try to kill us if they catch us Cattle Raiding. We can win the day, but it's best to just run and not lose Weaponthanes over something stupid.

Also you were right and it was MachSpeed who suggested sacrificing to the Dark Mother of Earthshakers.
  • edited 2015-01-17 21:36:14
    My dreams exceed my real life
    I fortified our defenses with a watchtower, for a cheap 10 Goods. Then I recruited 5 more Weaponthanes bringing us up to 14 in total.

Then this happened

Argrand(Elmali Chieftain): The paraphernalia he carries is clearly that of a magician

Korlmarl(Issaries): Never slap a hand outstretched to you in friendship(He wants us to invite to the Clan Hall or the Market Square)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): If it does mean us harm, we're better to keep it outside our fortifications.(He says invite him onto your lands, but no further)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): There used to be creatures like this all over the continent, but in most places they are now just memories.

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): Never slap a hand outstretched to you in friendship(same as Korlmar)

Aski(Barntar): If it does mean us harm, we're better to keep it outside our fortifications(Same as Arnbord)

Orlgandi(Trickster): Let's get him inebriated and see if he spills any dragon secrets!(He wants us to invite him to the Clan Hall)

Note for the heap: As Perandal most likely knows, Mathrania is probably an Earthshaker, a group of beasts sacred to Maran Gor, and not a dragon.
  • if it's not a dragon, then hell, invite him to the clan hall and let's get drunk
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    We already made a sacrifice to Maran Gor, so we might as well get drunk with her sacred beasts, right? 

To the hall!
    We already made a sacrifice to Maran Gor, so we might as well get drunk with her sacred beasts, right? 

To the hall!
    We haven't. I didn't have time before this happened.

Anyway, let's do it.

Argrand(Elmali Chieftain): Defense is the most important, for if enemies slay us, the other virtues cannot be upheld.

Korlmarl(Issaries): Hospitality is the most important. Without it, King Heort's Ring would never have enumerated the other virtues

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): Defense is the most important. If enemies kill us, the other virtues are worthless.

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker):  Justice is the most important. All of the written authorities say so.

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): Provision is the most important, for, without food, all other questions are moot.

Aski(Barntar): How can we possibly pick of them as the most important? They're all equal.

Orlgandi(Trickster): Let's not waste time arguing over what is correct. Let's figure out what he wants to hear.

• defense, it must be p important to clan screwdragons if we missed the cool drinking and secret mysteries at the big wedding to stand around with elmal being boring
  • side note: who are the best/worst members of the clan ring

we all know orlgandi is def the best but i think aski is the lamest, he either suggests something boring or just goes 'idk lol'
  • defense. 

I'd go with Orlgandi's suggestion, but I cannot get inside a dinosaur magician's head right now. I just can't.
    Defense it is!

On to Earth Season!

I sent out an Issaries noble to go negotiate a trading route with the Namolding clan. Then I sacrificed to Maran Gor, who taught us the Earthblood ritual which "Increases the fertility of our fields when people are killed on them" The caravan came back and said the Namolding clan agreed to the trade route. Then this happened

Argrand(Elmali Chieftain): The people might be heartened by a show of generosity, or offended that we have brought the taint of outlawry to the clan. (Either take the girl in, or turn them away, he says)

Korlmarl(Issaries): Etrig gave an axe to Brolarulf and both parties prospered (???))

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader):  It is said that an infant cradled in a shield in the wilderness will grow up to be a mighty warrior. This might just be an old wives' tale though (same as Argrand)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): She is no kin to us; we are not obligated to take her in. That doesn't mean, however, that the child should be deprived of proper society. (Take the girl in, he says)

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): Wherever there is a dishonored woman, a dishonorable male lurks not far away. (Take them both in, she says)

Aski(Barntar): She is no kin to us; we are not obligated to take her in. (Turn them away)

Orlgandi(Trickster): This is a tough one.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm inclined to say adopt them both.  Turning an old woman away to live in the woods seems kind of harsh.
  • definitely take the child, it ain't done nothing wrong, and kids raised in the woods always end up being great warriors or some shit

i'm a bit wary of taking in the woman if she's been outlawed for some reason, and she's only asked us to take the child, but if the heap wants to take them both in then fair enough
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Lets ask her why she got kicked out
    So I've got one for adopting them both, one for adopting the girl, and one for asking. I don't THINK asking will lock us out of the other options, but I'm not sure.
  • edited 2015-01-18 17:27:48
    I'll try asking her.

Knowing this, what do we do, Heap?
  • Matter of wrong passion? Result of her shame? Sounds like another case of adultery. 

The spirits of reprisal never said anything about screwing over the baby. Let's take the baby in.
    BEEP BOOP AQUIRE BABY
    I took in the baby

This Dark Season, I built a shrine to Maran Gor for a permanent Earthblood effect.. Then I sacrificed to Orlanth and got the Woad ritual, which reduces wounds and deaths among farmers. This was followed by a PIG CRISIS

Argrand(Elmali Chieftain): "When Orlanth was a babe, he wrestled twin boars sent by the giants to vex him" (He wants us to hunt down the boar)

Korlmarl(Issaries): The Carls haven't been complaining too much lately. They can live with a few skittish sows (He says ignore it)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): If we send our warriors to guard a herd of stinking pigs, they'll mutiny. I can't say I'd blame them.

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): Same as Korlmar

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): If we didn't let our pigs forage in the forest, they would never fatten(???)

Aski(Barntar): Same as Ernaldess

Orlgandi(Trickster): I have nothing to add
    We hunted the boar.
    Dammit, two weaponthanes means a lot to us.

Anyway this Storm Season I tried sacrificing to Orlanth, but got nothing. Then I built a shrine to Issaries to get a permanent Silvertongue bonus, which helps our traders and negotiators after which I got this message.

Then this happened.

Argrand(Elmali Chieftain): I can't believe we're wasting time listening to this wind-bag(He says do nothing)

Korlmarl(Issaries): Perhaps there's something else they really want(He says to dispute or ask who put her up to it)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): At least we won our last battle. Argrand's luck has not deserted him.(He says dispute)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): If we replaced our chief every time anyone had a complaint, we would be doing nothing but holding elections. Argrand was made chief according to the laws of our clan, and should remain chief until he breaks them.(He says remind them of their duty)

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): The Carls have no particular complaints about Argrand

Aski(Barntar):If they're complaining about Argrand, they'll probably start complaining about me next(He says dispute, or remind them of their duty)

Orlgandi(Trickster): We could hold a belching contest, and the winner gets to be chief (Do nothing, he says)
    Off-topic: What do you think of the update pace? Is it too fast?
  • Who put her up to it?

... if the belching contest is off the table, which sadly it appears to be
    sunn wolf said:

Who put her up to it?

sunn wolf said:

Who put her up to it?

Who put her up to it?

So this is something that can happen. Because we have an Elmali chieftain with a sub-par Leadership stat, an Orlanthi with a better leadership stat can decide he'd make a better leader. This was pretty much how Orlanth himself was.

All in favor of throwing out our lame chieftain in favor of Tarkala, say I

We can do this, but I think it would hurt our clan's magic because we'd have an orlanthi instead of elmali, and the ancestors wouldn't like that.
  • Is this thread named "the heap runs a barbarian clan into the ground" or not? Let's get to running into the ground!
    Okay, okay, I'm just informing you of your choices.

Let's see what the other heapers think first.
    What I'm hearing is "we get a cheiftain with a better leadership stat"
  • you gotta respect the ancestors

but

you also can't have half the clan thinking the chief is shit

and argrand seems p shit

we can always chuck out this orlanthi if a better elmali comes along later
  • edited 2015-01-19 17:06:28
    We request his resignation

What do we do now, Heap?
  • keep him in the clan. no reason to chuck him out. yanioth is just being a dick now
  • edited 2015-01-19 23:42:49
    We keep him in the clan
    See what you've done Heap? SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

So I'm gonna put a point in crops, diplomacy, herds, mysteries and war this Sacred Time

As it turns out, Tarkala was NOT an Orlanthi. She's a follower of Uralda, the cow goddess of all things, and only 22 years old.

Whatever, the heap chose this, she's chief now.

Then this happens

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): If we are generous, it will be easier to bargain with them in the future.(She says give him more)

Korlmarl(Issaries): It would be embarrassing for us to say no to them. (He says give him what he wants)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warlord): They have many well-equipped warriors. If we win their favor, they will help us raid our foes. (Same as Tarkala)

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): Custom requires the giver to provide enough food to feed forty people for a year.(Same as Korlmar)

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): We don't have the food to spare(give him cattle or refuse him, he says)

Aski(Barntar) We can afford to give him what he wants(Same as Korlmar)

Orlgandi(Trickster): There is a customary amount of food one should ask for in a situation like this. Not that I have any idea what it is
    Give him more than he wants. It's best for our image. 
  • Also,
    Panurge said:

As it turns out, Tarkala was NOT an Orlanthi. She's a follower of Uralda, the cow goddess of all things,
    Imi conspiracy

Give him more than he wants. It's best for our image. 

• edited 2015-01-20 14:34:22
    I gave him 40 bushels of food.

This Sea Season, I sent out explorers to look around our Tula for treasures we might not know are there

Tarkala(Uralda Chieftain): If we boast well, we will gain the respect of our neighbors. If we boast poorly, they will ridicule us.

Korlmar(Issaries): Some day we will be nothing more than a pile of relics cluttering up someone else's field. All crumbles to dust(He says shrug it off)

Arnbord(Uroxi Warleader): I wonder if we can use this to bring cheer to the weaponthanes.

Perandal(Lhankor Mhy Lawspeaker): These weapons are about a thousand years old.(He says brag)

Ernaldess(Ernaldi): Who cares? Let's get that junk out of the field, so we can plant.(Same as Korlmar)

Aski(Barntar): Conduct a divination

Orlgandi(Trickster): Although this land has been empty of humans for hundreds of years, we are not the first Orlanthi to live here.
    divination

i feel like this might be something important and lore-ish
  • i second the divination
    We conducted a divination

What should we do not Heap?
  • it's living history time
    Okay, so this gives me a good segway to talk about an important part of King of Dragon Pass, the Heroquest.

In a Heroquest, people re-enact famous stories of the Gods, and in doing so propel themselves into the Godplane, which can produce powerful magical effects. So let's say re-enacting the time when Issaries made peace between the Long Noses and the Big Teeth can resolve feuds or help trade routes, as well as give us a lot of magic. Failing can lead to death, or messing things up on the Godplane to the point where it produces bad effects back in the normal world. Deviations from myths usually right themselves, but it's generally not a good idea.

You need to sacrifice to Gods or ask other tribes to learn about myths you don't already know. As an Elmali tribe, we only know Elmal Guards the Stead, which is a tough heroquest to do right. I'll be learning myths as we go by sacrificing to the Gods. I'm gonna aim for Issaries the Conciliator, or The Making of the Storm Tribe, because those are relatively easy powerful heroquests.

Re-enacting this battle isn't a heroquest, but it works on a similar principle.