Whats your Sex,Gender and Sexuality Volume Three

1235»

Comments

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I'm just giving you hell man

you're the gayest
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    He's pretty gay

I can confirm this
  • He's pretty gay

I can confirm this
    >///////////////////////////////>
  • I'm just here to gay the place up
    That is why Naney is so awesome.

p.s. The list seems to just list me as male. Well I am male, male and was bi but after having been in a male-male relationship the past 1.5 yrs, my like for boobies has declined somewhat, and my love of penis in my mouth has increased lol. I think I prolly have gone from 75-25 preferring guys to gals to 90-10 lol. I guess that makes me pretty gay too anymore :p
  • Perhaps you're "Bi, but homosexual-leaning"?
  • edited 2012-09-26 23:44:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    EDIT: This thread movement, so fast...

I think that I lean gay, or at least am leaning gay—it's subject to change—but I definitely still find women attractive.
  • Is the term "awesomesexual" as defined by Urban Dictionary actually a term, or just a definition someone concocted for the sake of it?

Because if it's the latter, then I'd like to use the term to refer to sexual attraction to awesome people (of whatever sex(es)/gender(s) one normally prefers).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Urban Dictionary contains many terms of dubious validity...

If we can accept their definitions, though, then I want this one
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Urban Dictionary has "bocky" in it, which was actually invented by a guy from my school's cross-country team two years above me.

Which is valid, I guess, but only for a couple thousand people tops.
  • edited 2012-09-27 20:39:11
    The sadness will last forever.
    Bocky sounds like a Pocky ripoff or something.

And what's with all the new terms for sexuality of a sudden?
  • People realizing there's more things on the spectrum aside from "Straight" and "Gay", likely. 

Or if you're one of those people who posts on the internet but absolutely hates the internet, you could say it's spergy tweens trying to be more speshul than they really are. Up to you, honestly.

Bocky sounds like a Pocky ripoff or something.

And what's with all the new terms for sexuality of a sudden?

Gender and Women's studies in academia as well as this new element online called "social justice" are all in a race to label everything and the way to win this game is to point out the people tripping up/ignoring/not knowing these labels

Here's the scoring:

Call of Duty/Halo/Other annoying 12-year-old online gaming idiot: 25 pts.

Conservative pundit: 50 pts.

Pat Robertson: 100 pts.

A well-known blogging personality related with the social justice movement: 1,000,000 points and validation as an online pioneer against hate
  • I'm just here to gay the place up
    So I missed the memo where you were put in charge of judging everyone. Could you please CC me in the future?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Sometimes hard to tell whether the Corporal is serious

So I missed the memo where you were put in charge of judging everyone. Could you please CC me in the future?

Would you please point out where I'm judging anyone here?

It's a fact that these two groups of folks are the ones to employ this new terminology the most. This terminology is not even close to common with the average person on the street. How is pointing this out judgmental?

I don't like this excessive form of labeling people at all. How does this make me judgmental?
  • In my experience the typical CoD playing 14 year old doesn't call anyone anything but "fag" and variants thereof.

Anyway, some of the labels are valid, and others are just kind of silly.

• edited 2012-09-27 21:18:39
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-27 21:21:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Isn't it kind of the business of gender and women's studies to come up with terms to classify what they're studying?  Every academic field has its own jargon; it's a kind of shorthand that's necessary in order to communicate information about the subject.

I'm not a fan of labelling people either, but there are contexts where it's appropriate, or at least convenient to be able to do so.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well it's slightly different. Music genres are arbitrary by their very nature and exist mostly for ease of reference. It's easier to tell someone you like rock n' roll as opposed to tell them you like "music with lots of guitars, often electric, with a strong percussive element."

I don't know where I was actually going with this.

Fouria G said:

Isn't it kind of the business of gender and women's studies to come up with terms to classify what they're studying?  Every academic field has its own jargon; it's a kind of shorthand that's necessary in order to communicate information about the subject.

Haven't you heard? That's a branch of sociology. Therefore it is not real science.
    Fouria G said:

I'm not a fan of labelling people either, but there are contexts where it's appropriate, or at least convenient to be able to do so.

You're right, but I think a lot of it is simply excessive. Two examples off the top of my head are "demisexual" and "omnisexual" and I don't even quite understand what the latter means or how it even came about. 
  • Yeah, but the question then becomes at what point does classification stop and over-classification start?

I'm sure there are some people who would debate with you til they're blue in the face about the difference between grindcore metal and deathcore metal, but that doesn't mean I could tell you the difference.

Fouria G said:

You're right, but I think a lot of it is simply excessive. Two examples off the top of my head are "demisexual" and "omnisexual" and I don't even quite understand what the latter means or how it even came about. 

Omnisexual as I understand it just basically means you'll bang anything of any gender. I think the difference between that and Bisexuality is that with the latter, you're implied to "only" be attracted to "ordinary" men and women, while leaving out say, crossdressers.

Do not know what a Demisexual is though.

• Well, Grindcore and Deathcore don't even sound vaguely similar for one thing.

• Okay for one thing, that's completely missing the point of what I said.

For another, I'm not going to listen to those songs but I seriously doubt I could tell the difference. Metal in my mind is in four quadrants. "Fast", "Slow", "Has Growling" and "Does Not Have Growling". I cannot make heads or tails of anything else there.

From what I understand "Demisexual" means you're not sexually attracted to someone unless you form some kind of emotional bond first. 

I don't know about you or anyone else but I fail to realize why this needs a distinct category for itself other than some kind of need for unique snowflake validation. 
  • Frosty said:

Metal does have distinct styles (as illustrated above), but I have seen youtube arguments about which subgenre of which subgenre a band fits into, and it is kind of ridiculous. :p Also what is going on in that music video?

Some sort of weird mind-control thing.

I wasn't paying attention though, i was too busy listening to that AWESOME BREAKDOWN.
  • From what I understand "Demisexual" means you're not sexually attracted to someone unless you form some kind of emotional bond first. 

I don't know about you or anyone else but I fail to realize why this needs a distinct category for itself other than some kind of need for unique snowflake validation. 
    I guess it's shorter than saying "I'm not sexually attracted to someone unless I form some kind of emotional bond first."?
  • edited 2012-09-27 21:38:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ Mr. Truant: Both those songs are loud, fast, short, dark, rhythmic, and feature distorted guitar riffs and harsh, amelodic vocals.  If you're not interested in more extreme metal genres, they're going to sound pretty similar.

@ Frosty: I think subgenre labels are useful if you want to be specific; terms like "rock", "hip-hop" and "electronica" are sufficiently broad that liking some of it doesn't imply liking all or even most of it.  So if you like grindcore but you specifically don't like deathcore you'll presumably want to specify, even if the distinction is lost on people insufficiently familiar with either genre.

Although if you're talking about "Nu French Gothic Sludgewave Darkcore Hop" you're probably a musician facetiously describing your own style, since that's crazy specific.  And I agree that arguing about what genre fits a specific song the best is kind of silly.
  • edited 2012-09-27 21:36:46
  • edited 2012-09-27 21:38:40
    I'm going to chime in that the only metal I ever kind of liked was Cradle of Filth and uh

My Dying Bride? I think that's their name

so yeah anyway sexuality
  • From what I understand "Demisexual" means you're not sexually attracted to someone unless you form some kind of emotional bond first. 

I don't think that's meant to be an exclusive label (like say, Gay and Straight). It really sounds more like something that'd be used by someone compiling a profile. 

Instead of saying that you're a Bisexual who likes casual sex (I'm sure there is a somethingsexual for "likes casual sex" too, but I don't know it), the hypothetical profiler here wants to indicate you need an emotional bond first, thus, "Demisexual Bisexual".

All that said, while that is certainly a valid use, anyone trying to use it in everyday conversation is just being silly, especially if they give someone else shit about not using it.

• edited 2012-09-27 21:42:44
  • Male, but not very masculine... so I'm not sure if I'm cisgendered or agendered. Straight.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know somebody in real life who roughly identifies as demisexual. He describes it like this: He really doesn't generally have any sexual interest in people, but when he is strongly emotionally attracted to a person, he does develop a sexual attraction to them. But he doesn't like the label very much, either, due to how unclear and patronising the definition is.

I thought that "omnisexual" was mostly a joke/riff on "pansexual," which actually has a definition that makes sense.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    2012 was a memorable year.
  • kill living beings
    who are all these people
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    All I remember about 2012 is forum drama and playing Mega Man a lot.
    So, umm... *petitions to have thread deleted*
  • gurl this thread old as time itself and you the one who necroed it
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Let's just lock this thread and move on.
  • edited 2015-09-11 16:32:01
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's outdated, so locking and making another one could be just fine. Although, that much said, the new LGBTQ thread Centie made functionally serves the same role, so hey.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

Let's just lock this thread and move on.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah, let's.
This discussion has been closed.