Let's Die Horribly! Yarrun Rips off Mojave [IMG Heavy]

2»

Comments

• Well, we managed to get to D:4, so I guess we're sticking with this fellow for a while.

imageSay hello to Cerdic...I think we're on XIII. 

So far, Cerdic XIII's doing well for himself. So far, he's found daggers of holy wrath, venom and draining, rings of magic resistance and negative resistance, a wand of frost, and a flame sling. All in all, a good survival set for when Unarmed Combat becomes insufficient.

As for why I chose Vehumet over Trog (whom were both on the third floor), Vehumet has a passive ability that allows you to regain MP from kills, which stacks nicely with our unarmed ability. The free Flame Tongue and Sting don't hurt either. 
    We also get to see the altar of Qazlal the Storm God, who was just added in this update. He generates storm clouds around you that strike out against your enemies, at the cost of never being sneaky ever again. 

And I don't know what's up with the walls here, btw.

Anyways, we do pretty well until we run into a Centaur that pokes us through with arrows until we're through.
  • Maybe you should try something else, Yarrun.

I dunno, I have managed to get a Vine Stalker Monk of Qazlal all the way to The Lair just on the strength of good Unarmed Combat and Dodging skills, so it's not impossible.

Vehumet is a bad god for non-spellcasters though, at least I think so.
  • As far as I'm concerned, making it to D:5 proves that the concept works. I'm satisfied.

I'll take a few more shots, see if I can pick up Qazlal and go a bit further, but I think I'll be moving on to something else soon enough.
  • So, after a lot of wandering about, I decide to return to what I'm most comfortable with.

Octopodes.
    imageSay hello to Lord Gloribnik IV, the Octopode Conjurer. 

It took us a few shots to get it working, but Octopode Conjurer's surprisingly workable. The trick is to start leveling Spellcasting instead of Conjuration to counteract Octopodes' unusually low MP. 

We've also found a good set of items to accompany us. A +1 ring of strength, a +2 ring of slaying, a dagger of speed and a short sword of protection. We also picked up a Book of Hindrance, which allows us to cast Confuse. Between that and Dazzling Spray (which blinds enemies), we shouldn't have much trouble in the next few floors.

Advice. Is Searing Ray any good?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Searing Ray is excellent. Just be aware that it's kind of odd. To use it effectively, you need to cast it when an enemy enters its maximum range, and then press 5 until it stops casting.