The LGBT Thread

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    RAINBOW EVERYTHING!

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Btw, now we all know what caused the US sub prime mortgage crash that fucked up all the EU economics. It was MA allowing gay marriages according to Andy Schlafly.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I feel cisgendered currently.

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    See, that just reminds me of Power Rangers.

Except this time, they attack hearts.
    Except this time, they attack hearts.
    If that was true, the United Kingdom would be the heart attack capital of the world.

• Too quiet. Needs more gay.
  • edited 2012-05-17 19:27:36
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ...Having a fluid sexuality...As strange as this sounds, but now that I've gotten used to it, it's...honestly, a lot of fun. I can't explain why it's fun, it just...is.

• Killing threads, on the other hand, is not fun.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Of course you're fluid-like. You live in water.
  • edited 2012-05-17 20:48:33
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...you people cranked out only 15 posts since the last time I looked? Wow.

^16, I guess.
  • Ninjas can do math! :D
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I don't have Swift Swim like Magi. :P

Feeling kind of male today. But mostly female.
  • Can Magikarps even have Swift Swim

It is certianly interesting to be more than one gender at a time. My favorite is when I'm male and genderless at the same time. Don't ask how that works.

...I've never been any more than 2 genders at a time. Odd.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Oh derp, I thought this was the "Trash Heap" thread. I'm changing this one's name.
  • Yay, less confusion! :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Oh derp, I thought this was the "Trash Heap" thread. I'm changing this one's name.

Haha, that's happened to me all the time. My tab cuts off everything but "The Trash Heap ..."
  • Squid:You know how transgenderness works? Being born one gender b\ut being biologically the other? For some people, their mental gender keeps changing. This is known as being gender fluid. Some people have it change more than others, like me. My gender changes 2 or 3 times each day. It's hard to explain.

• edited 2012-05-18 17:25:45
  • Ah. I see. Well, for me it's less about what  Iwant to present myself as, and more about what I feel like, but I understand what you said.

Oh wow, apparently the Yankee declaration of independence supports gay marriage.
  • edited 2012-05-19 06:32:43
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^^ Some people distinguish between self-perception and performative/socially perceived gender.  Keep in mind that sex and gender, while distinct, are semantically linked, and feeling like a particular gender can involve a strong sense of being in the "wrong" body.  This can be extremely uncomfortable and traumatic.  While positing gender as a societal construct, as you put it, suggests that gender is not intrinsic or immutable, it still implies something very enduring, and that includes the aspects pertaining to gender roles, because these are things that we internalize, often without realizing it.  So "feeling male" might well involve stereotypical masculinity, but it's more complicated than that.

Not really related to the above, but it's really starting to bug me how I keep seeing people treat "gender" as synonymous with "sex" and act like the distinction is something that feminists and LGBT activists just made up.  I mean, there's a grain of truth in that insofar as the idea of intrinsic gender roles basically dominated discourse prior to the 1970s, but "gender" never used to mean "sex".  That's a recent trend, and one that should be resisted as damaging to clear communication on the subject.  "Gender" refers to a linguistic difference, and by extension a social one.  It doesn't mean physical sex characteristics, except insofar as those are associated with particular genders.</rant>
  • edited 2012-05-19 15:08:14
  • edited 2012-05-19 15:15:46
    That would be my understanding of that statement, yeah.  Obviously I can't speak for Mega Magikarp or anyone else but that's what I generally take from it.

And I know you don't think gender and sex are the same.  Sorry if it came across like that.  That was just something else that's been bugging at me lately.  That second paragraph was mostly venting.
  • I agree with what Squid said about gender and sex not being the same. And yes, gender dysphoria is not constant. Back when I thought I was competly trans, there were some days I felt much worse about it than others
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I kinda want to go to a gay pride parade this year.

When last year's came around I was still coming to terms with my gender dysphoria and I hadn't yet told my parents I was bisexual, so I wasn't comfortable asking them to go. Now I kinda want to check it out, even though I DESPISE CROWDS OF PEOPLE.
  • I feel like pointing out that the most common theory regarding genre is that there are three, um, not components, but variants of the concept: physical, psychological and social. 

Personally, I don't believe that someone's just transgendered because they disagree with social paradigms applied to males simply because most people realise at one point or the other that just because you're physically male you're not obligated to follow these paradigms (The whole "Men can wear pink and stuff", basically)

Nah, I believe that there's a component in there that is hard to explain simply because transgendered people have not been treated the right way in psychology and medicine fields for a long time. Hell, some countries' National Medical Boards and institutions still treat transgenderism as a mental disease. 

• I agree with what Juan said. What I feel about my gender has nothing to do with society.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Hell, some countries' National Medical Boards and institutions still treat transgenderism as a mental disease.
    Like America!
  • ...Wait, you mean officially?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Yes. Under the DSM-IV, it is a mental illness.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I thought it was officially classified as a mental disease for which the cure is transitioning.
  • edited 2012-05-20 16:40:53
    @ Mega Magikarp: I'm not transgender myself, nor am I gender fluid.  So while I think that being able to identify "gender" at all is bound to have been influenced by society since perceptions of gender vary between societies, I'm not going to argue with you on that.  You might be experiencing something different from what I was describing, I don't know.

I don't disagree that gender identity is different from gender role, in case I wasn't clear on that.  The former is how you see yourself, the latter is how society expects you to be.
  • ...Yet another reason I want to move to Canada.

Fouria:Ah. I see.

• I thought it was officially classified as a mental disease for which the cure is transitioning.

• edited 2012-05-20 17:52:17
  • Makes perfect sense.
  • ...After all this time, I'm still not sure if my situation with my gender is real or if I'm just imagining it. :/