The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've always imagined Eridan having something of a Scouse lout's voice (for lack of a better description).
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Someone once told me that they imagine Dualscar with a Scottish accent and Eridan with a Boston one, and that seemed pretty neat to me.

But he'll always be Liquid Snake to me.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • Liquid Snake's not that bad, but I'd put it at a higher pitch.

Not as high to be completely annoying, but a little bit annoying.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

I still want to see Gamzee redeem himself.

nope.
  • edited 2013-08-13 16:40:53
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm not sure what motivation he would have for that anyway, he's basically living out his life sober-long Subjugglator dream at the moment.
  • Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

nope.
    Why do you have a problem with the concept?
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

nope.
    Unless he actually turns good and does good instead of some deathbed conversion, I'll not like it.

Or if he resurrects Nepeta and Equius.
  • Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

nope.
    Unless he actually turns good and does good instead of some deathbed conversion, I'll not like it.  
    That's like, literally what I was saying.
    (2015 self)
    Okay, but a lot of authors go with the Deathbed Redemption thing
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm not sure what motivation he would have for that anyway, he's basically living out his life sober-long Subjugglator dream at the moment.
    If you recall his introduction, he has always wanted to serve his "masters" properly and righteously. He just never demonstrated the necessary streak of ruthlessness and insanity due to being perpetually high as a kite.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    OK, so I should have left "life" instead of striking it out. :P

Anyhow, my point stands that it's doubtful Gamzee will "redeem" himself as he's currently doing his dream and he doesn't seem to even care about Karkat  as much as he cares about this, so unless it's established soon that he doesn't like what he's currently doing (so far every thing points to the opposite), it seems doubtful he'd pull a 180 on us.

• just watch this
    "That was the plan."
  • edited 2013-08-13 20:19:08
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    UPD8!

So much upd8. So much.

Sort of.
  • It still keeps happening.
    "Stares," indeed.
  • someone on my dash was doing a homestuck reread and

i missed this before

moderate ouch.
    Yeah.

I loved the part where she summarised Dualscar's death:

ARANEA: Ampora was a pirate. No8ody liked him. He killed a lot of people, 8ut was later executed 8ecause he was una8le to tell a funny joke. What else needs to 8e said? That's right. Nothing. 
    ARANEA: Makara was the guy who didn't like his joke. He was terri8le and so is his story. Period.
  • i figured out why i dislike gamzee so much

i just do not find him entertaining or funny at all

he is like the only character that has not caused me to crack even the faintest of smiles
    I have found him entertaining, but his moments of being either scary or funny are really few and far between compared to the comic's other noteworthy antagonists. He is at his best when he is completely blindsiding the audience rather than lingering and being awkward.
    I think that it's safe to assume that John will do the Windy Thing again fairly soon.
    My problem with Gamzee doesn't lay in his character but in how Hussie uses him; he's a plot device more than anything (Hussie treats every character like a plot device, but Gamzee especially).
  • edited 2013-08-14 21:30:52
    Like I've said before, I don't really agree.
  • edited 2013-08-14 21:31:15
    ^^ More than that, he uses him as a tool without fleshing him out as well as he could, which is irksome.
  • Honestly I'd rather more interesting characters like Sollux or the ones he actually does care about character-wise get fleshed out more rather than Gamzee.
  • Man, you all are just a bunch of Negative Nancys.
    Sollux is potentially pretty interesting with his whole duality deal and underexplored powers both as a psychic and a Mage of Doom, as well as his warm but conflicted relationship with Aradia, but he doesn't get much exploration after he goes blind. Then again, up until recently, neither did Terezi, so there is some slim hope there.

That said, if he is going to use Gamzee as a frequent tool, he could at least give him a little more obvious agency and character beyond his devotion to Caliborn. I mean, say what you will about his psycho turn, but he was not a flat character there at all. He had agency, personality, and a distinct unpredictability that made him at least a worthwhile antagonist. Recently, while he does have some good moments, he is overall just far less impressive.

What's worse is that this only encourages us all to talk more about him when we could be talking about what Hussie has been doing well. The last few updates have been really fun and weird. But no, we keep talking about the deranged clown priest. (And really, if we are to talk of face-painted lunatics in this comic, I would rather talk about his dancestor, who is decidedly creepier and more amusing despite barely showing up.)
  • edited 2013-08-14 22:44:19
    Pizza Dog
    I should really read this story huh?
  • if you want. it can be pretty fun.
    I would personally recommend it. It is a very fun experience, if a bit of a massive time sink. It also makes far more sense once you get into it than it does out of context.
    Kexruct said:

Man, you all are just a bunch of Negative Nancys.

That's totally what disliking something means, yeah.
    He was being somewhat facetious.

That said, were he being completely serious, my response would be thus: Loving a work means being able to admit its flaws and still feel deeply for it regardless.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Loving something inspires you to become intimately familiar with it, which makes you better equipped than anyone to hate it.
  • edited 2013-08-16 18:14:22
    UPD8!

Scary Jane continues to be scary! Also, Windy Thing! Called it!
  • upd8

so many things
    Damn, Evil!Jane. That is cold.

Hilarious, but cold.
    (2015 self)
    I don't like Rose and Kanaya's relationship, nor Karkat and John, nor Dave and Terezi.

Cross-species romance is not acceptable.

And neither is any of the kids dating each other, 'cause nope; nuh-uh; no incest.
  • edited 2013-08-19 18:07:59
    Well, it's only incestuous between the individual pools of four humans and perhaps some of the trolls (who have weird biology anyway). Also, they're all in their mid-to-late teens (or the equivalent) at this point. And as for interspecies relationships, they are all of human intelligence, can communicate clearly, and are roughly the same age (mentally and physically speaking).

Also, I don't think that Jane knows that Jake is related to her. But she's in psycho mode now anyway...
  • The guardians are only related to themselves.
    What I meant is that the individual groups of John/Jade/Jane/Jake and Rose/Dave/Roxy/Dirk are technically related to each other, as are several of the troll dancestor groups.
  • when i was out taking a walk the gears in my head were spinning and it occurred to me:

I could only become truly real if you ever managed to harness those bomb as shit hope powers she mentioned.

Assuming that this is indeed true, that means at least 3 out of 4 of the alpha kids have powers pertaining to creation.

Also the fact that JakesImagination!Dirk is waaaay more flagrantly gay than real!Dirk amused me.

Out of all of the characters Jake is the most painfully relatable, at least to me. u_u
    (2015 self)
    Is it wrong that out of the new kids, I only like Jane? And that out if the old kids, I don't like Dave?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I wasn't that fond of Dave, when I read through it the first time. He's grown on me though.
  • edited 2013-08-19 18:43:59
    Assuming that this is indeed true, that means at least 3 out of 4 of the alpha kids have powers pertaining to creation.

All of them do, in some way: Jane can resurrect the dead; Roxy can pull objects out of nothingness; Dirk can basically create multiple versions of himself; and Jake can will things into reality through belief.

On a different note, the four aspects that the human kids do not represent are interesting to note: Doom, Rage, Blood and Mind, which (Mind aside) are consequently the least examined.

^^ & ^ I really like Dave, but I get not liking him.
  • I actually like every character.