A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• edited 2016-03-16 20:43:30
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    LoneLady's Hinterland is really good to me.

It's what I wished CHVRCHES sounded like, honestly.
  • I think I like Guided By Voices now

it's like the rock version of what i like about Madlib!
  • if anyone could recommend me the best of their catalog that's similar to Bee Thousand, or anything with a similar scrappy aesthetic, I'd appreciate it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...I made a huge list of lo-fi acts for some schmo on TVT asking for recommendations. Some of them may or may not be up your alley. Shall I assail you with good music?
  • hmu

also I just listened to a song by Best Coast ("When I'm With You") and that was good too, so something to consider.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll upload Alien Lanes for you when I'm home.

I'm not big on Best Coast, TBH, but you might like them.

Might I recommend Cloud Nothings?
  • also hey I've seen the cover for Alien Lanes before

I was somehow under the impression that it was a noise album?
  • what if I was grippin' grain in an alien lane

that would be pretty weird
    Cloud Nothings are basically what Green Day thinks they sound like: Melodic punk with an edge.

They rip a lot of their playbook from Wipers and early Wire, but I don't mind.
  • I don't know who Wipers are and I don't think I've ever listened to Wire.

I do like Green Day though, more than most.
    'K.

I'll do my worst/best.

Anything by the Elephant 6 Collective should be of at least marginal interest, although I feel like some will be more to your taste than others. NMH are the five hundred pound gorilla in the room, and they are indeed pretty great, but I feel like the closest thing to that aesthetic in Mangum's discography is their early cassette Hype City Soundtrack rather than either of their proper full-lengths. Early stuff by the Apples in Stereo is a bit too melodically sweet and straightforward for me, but the odder touches are charming. The Olivia Tremor Control's Presents: Singles and Beyond will likely appeal to you (check out "Love Athena" and "A Sunshine Fix"), as will their actual records. Elf Power may also be up your alley.

In the more general "weird, scrappy basement rock" vein, there are many, many options: Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, The Mountain Goats, pre-soul-era Scritti Politti, The Androids of Mu, Beat Happening, Kleenex/Lilliput, Young Marble Giants, The Raincoats, maybe The Slits... seems like a lot of all-female/female-fronted DIY post-punk outfits fall into this vein, funnily enough.

In a slightly darker, weirder vein, you have folks like The Shadow Ring, Pink Reason, The Savage Young Taterbug, Crawling Chaos, Caroliner, The Fall, Half-Japanese, and The Dead C, in increasing order of loudness—although not in terms of extroversion, weirdness or menace: Half-Japanese are cheerfully ludicrous, Pink Reason are pure melancholy, Crawling Chaos give not a single fuck, and so forth. All are good and worth a peek, but you'll definitely like some more than others.
    I can forward you Attack on Memory if you want.
  • That is quite a lot of music.

Some of that I already dig. I know of The Olivia Tremor Control thru that song they later revamped for an Outback Steakhouse commercial ("The Wraith Disappeared Into Mist" or something?). Apples In Stereo I recall sort of liking but I forget why.

Honestly if you could just bundle up anything you think I'd dig and zap it my way I'd at least give it a looksee. But if you don't wanna I'll dig into some of that on my own.

I also love The Mountain Goats (John D. has worked with Aesop Rock remember?), but I need more of their stuff. Lots more.

As for Cloud Nothings. "Stay Useless" is nice.

I can forward you Attack on Memory if you want.

sure!
    Jane said:

I don't know who Wipers are and I don't think I've ever listened to Wire.

I do like Green Day though, more than most.
    The Wipers are responsible for "Youth of America", which you should listen to.

Wire are da bes'.

Also: Check out Bügsküll. Forgot to say that, somehow. They are also da bes'.

And Buzzcocks. But their early material, before they broke up and reformed. Their post-reunion stuff isn't that great.
    Jane said:

I know of The Olivia Tremor Control thru that song they later revamped for an Outback Steakhouse commercial ("The Wraith Disappeared Into Mist" or something?).
    That is Of Montreal! OTC are... different. No knock on Of Montreal, though.
  • I am a fool!

My bad. Different "O" band.
    (The song is "Wraiths Pinned to the Mist and Other Games", incidentally. Let's pretend we don't exist! *shimmies*)
    Jane said:

I am a fool!

Both are Elephant 6 bands and toured together early on and both have a Beach Boys fetish, so it's a perfectly reasonable confusion.
  • I feel like I should exchange this music for something.

I have some rare-ish J Dilla bootlegs if anyone wants 'em?
  • Jane said:

I am a fool!

Both are Elephant 6 bands and toured together early on and both have a Beach Boys fetish, so it's a perfectly reasonable confusion.
    hm, maybe I should listen to the Beach Boys
  • also what IS Elephant 6? Some kind of art clique?
    I will send you some harder-to-find stuff that isn't too batshit insane. Also an OTC primer, because they were the best E6 band. Also The Gerbils' discography, because what is it with all the good musicians in Athens dying? :/
  • I like gerbils so hopefully I will like The Gerbils also.

But anyhow if y'all want anything I have I'll post it somewhere and you can have it. I feel like trading should be involved in tape trading.
    Jane said:

also what IS Elephant 6? Some kind of art clique?

Bunch of dudes and ladies from Shreveport and Ruston in Louisiana moved to Athens and started bands. They made friends with bands there and released each other's records. It was a record company of sorts for a while but it was also kind of a scene/circle of friends/buncha weirdos.
  • this Wipers song is weird and I don't know how I feel about it.
    They have similar but distinct sounds because they all produced each other's records and shared equipment and band members. Groups like Of Montreal were a bit more peripheral, although their early works definitely form a part of that landscape.
  • oh!

does anyone want Lootpack's debut? It's a great indie rap album from the 90s, most notable for starting Madlib's career.
    Jane said:

oh!

does anyone want Lootpack's debut? It's a great indie rap album from the 90s, most notable for starting Madlib's career.
    Sure! :3
    Jane said:

oh!

Might as well.
  • I will warn you it has the typical 90s rap problem of being about 25 minutes longer than it needs to be, but it's still really solid.

If you end up liking it I can zap you more Madlib stuff.
  • Alien Lanes I liked a lot

the Cloud Nothings album was interesting. Way more longform and jammy than I'd have thought. Didn't leave much of an impression on me overall but I liked the drums a lot. 
    So, the new(ish) Jute Gyte record (The Ship of Theseus) is really great, if very much an acquired taste, but I think that exposing Odradek to it could cause the apocalypse.
  • edited 2016-03-17 05:43:01
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    so Kendrick's new release is pretty good

"Untitled 08" is the clear standout to me, although I have nothing against any of the other tracks, either.
  • So a while back (here) I said I picked up a demo CD in the basement sale at the library

I'm listening to it now and like

it's actually pretty good? It's not mind-blowingly amazing, but for a band who I can find absolutely nothing about it's not bad. I think this is them on Bandmix given the location, but it's hard to say. Seems like they've been broken up for a long time.

If I uploaded this would anyone listen? I have an inkling Section would like them if no one else.
  • Autechre should get some award for "most distinctive/weird use of reverb ever"

i mean, how many other groups/producers have made modulating room size a signature part of their sound
    ^^ I'll give that a listen when I can. Thanks.
  • No there's no music on that page, I am asking if I uploaded it somewhere if people would listen.

There is literally a "please copy this CD" notice on the front of the demo, so I don't feel bad about it.
  • ah there are a few more photos on that bandmix page
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'd be open to it.
    Oh, sure I'd listen.
  • So I found their old website (the main page only) via the Wayback Machine.

Here is their description of themselves:

Third Phase is the reincarnation of rock and roll's past being dragged into the present. 

Although the band officially formed in 2006, drummer Tony Fucci and guitarist Kraig Kalashian have been writing and performing together for nearly seven years. Their previous bands (Dogfight & Gutterstar) rose to national acclaim behind songs like Asleep, I Fall Down, and When She Knocks. The pair reunited in 2004 to begin writing new material with guitarist Shawn Mahoney. For the next two years the group attempted to recruit additional members across multiple state lines. Unfortunately, finding musicians near Shawn's home and rehearsal studio in the Poconos did not prove to be an easy feat. After Tony moved to Allentown, PA, he found a local singer/songwriter named Bryan Klansek and arranged a meeting. The two got along instantly. With a renewed energy, Tony called on an old friend, Tim Benyo to fill in on bass guitar. With the new lineup complete, the band hit the studio to lay down tracks for a demo. The results exceeded all expectations. The band is now playing select dates and working on their first full length album.

• here's something crazy

Klansek was also the last name of my science teacher in high school.
    Go for it!
  • is there any danger to giving folks a link to your Google Drive account cuz i was thinking of posting this on r/indieheads