A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• basically, naneycore
  • edited 2016-03-06 07:37:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So, I know this isn't the most politic last thing of the night, but my sister has been working backstage at some concerts lately as part of her stage management major and she has some thoughts.

Spoiler:
    Firstly, Lil Wayne is a huge asshole.

Or, rather, Lil Wayne is a diminutive asshole whose ego and creepiness could fill an arena on its own, and who blew pot smoke in her face and continuously harassed her for ten minutes before getting on stage and having the gall to "thank" the crew publicly despite the fact that he was a complete nuisance backstage.

Secondly, there is *one* nice member of Rae Sremmurd, but the rest are tools and their DJ on this tour in particular is an insufferable asinine prima donna who basically yelled at her non-stop to go get the other members when he didn't know where they were despite the fact that he knew she could be fired for talking with the performers without permission from management.

Thirdly, Jason Aldean is... actually a total sweetheart who went backstage to personally thank the crew in private afterward and was generally a joy to work with even if she's not a huge fan of or even terribly familiar with his work.

Spoiler-blocked on second thought because this is *technically* a public forum and I'm not sure how she'd feel about me relating these things outside of my immediate circle of friends. That said, I don't think any of these observations are earth-shattering.
  • there's only two members of Rae Sremmurd

the thing about Lil Wayne is well-documented though.
  • edited 2016-03-09 01:00:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I guess one of the two then? Whoever was DJing for them and their crew were apparently most of the problem.

Yeah, that detail was unsurprising. He really is a human gila monster, which is an offence against gila monsters but so it goes.

On a more positive note, Weakling's Dead As Dreams is fucking amazing, and I might actually recommend "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" to you even though I know you're not a metal person because hot damn, this album, wow. It does everything and it does it well. (I would also recommend you A Forest of Stars, by the by, although they are a way more obvious recommendation overall.)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Awwwww. RIP, Geogre Martin. Also, since it hasn't been brought up, Maurice White passed away earlier this year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35499149
  • edited 2016-03-09 06:12:06
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Awwwww. RIP, Geogre Martin. Also, since it hasn't been brought up, Maurice White passed away earlier this year.

I saw that when it happened. RIP. I will need to listen to That's the Way of the World someday.
  • Awwwww. RIP, Geogre Martin. Also, since it hasn't been brought up, Maurice White passed away earlier this year.

I saw that when it happened. RIP. I will need to listen to That's the Way of the World someday.
    You definitely should. It's a great album.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That is unfortunate...

I feel brining the conversation back to how great that Weakling album is would be more positive, but then I remember that, a demo and a rehearsal tape aside, that is literally the only thing they ever put out and they disbanded right after it came out, or shortly before actually.

Seriously, it's like the seed for Deafheaven, The Body and Krallice all in one.
    Can is generally a very good choice.

I am listening to The Homopolice. They are very heavy, very noisy, and very into the whole leatherdaddy thing only semi-ironically I think? This song is called "I Hate Everybody" and it's fifteen minutes long and like some kind of hardcore/sludge/power electronics thing. Complements the whole Brainbombs rotation, being slightly less lyrically grotesque and even more musically unhinged, minus the horns.
    Heard the new Kendrick is decent. Transatlanticism was a bit overhyped at the time but time has been way kinder to Death Cab than the haters would have you think. Amy Winehouse had one hell of a voice, and Waylon Jennings was pretty cool. Don't recognise most of the rest, or am unfamiliar.
    I still intend on listening to the new Kendrick soon. Otherwise, I'll yesquote Sredni on that chart.

For now, I'm listening to The Byrds and being in awe at the guitar tone that Jim McGuinn and David Crosby got on Fifth Dimension.
    The Byrds really did have great guitar tones.

I don't think I geek out enough about timbre, particularly guitar tones, but I feel like the right tone in the right place can truly make a song.
  • Heard the new Kendrick is decent. Transatlanticism was a bit overhyped at the time but time has been way kinder to Death Cab than the haters would have you think. Amy Winehouse had one hell of a voice, and Waylon Jennings was pretty cool. Don't recognise most of the rest, or am unfamiliar.

in order it's

Waylon Jennings - New Classic Waylon
        G. Dep - Child of The Ghetto
        Can - The Peel Sessions
        2Chainz & Lil Wayne - ColleGrove
        Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
        Samiyam - Animals Have Feelings
        Ennio Morricone - Crime & Dissonance
        J Dilla - Dillatronic
        Charlie Daniels Band - Listen Up!
        Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
        Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
        Wagon Christ - Musipal

for reference
  • On a more positive note, Weakling's Dead As Dreams is fucking amazing, and I might actually recommend "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" to you even though I know you're not a metal person because hot damn, this album, wow. It does everything and it does it well. (I would also recommend you A Forest of Stars, by the by, although they are a way more obvious recommendation overall.)

Just finished the first track. This is pretty good.
  • So, I know this isn't the most politic last thing of the night, but my sister has been working backstage at some concerts lately as part of her stage management major and she has some thoughts.

Spoiler:

Or, rather, Lil Wayne is a diminutive asshole whose ego and creepiness could fill an arena on its own, and who blew pot smoke in her face and continuously harassed her for ten minutes before getting on stage and having the gall to "thank" the crew publicly despite the fact that he was a complete nuisance backstage.

Secondly, there is *one* nice member of Rae Sremmurd, but the rest are tools and their DJ on this tour in particular is an insufferable asinine prima donna who basically yelled at her non-stop to go get the other members when he didn't know where they were despite the fact that he knew she could be fired for talking with the performers without permission from management.

Thirdly, Jason Aldean is... actually a total sweetheart who went backstage to personally thank the crew in private afterward and was generally a joy to work with even if she's not a huge fan of or even terribly familiar with his work.

Spoiler-blocked on second thought because this is *technically* a public forum and I'm not sure how she'd feel about me relating these things outside of my immediate circle of friends. That said, I don't think any of these observations are earth-shattering.
    NGL my first impression of Lil Wayne was that he was an immense slimeball.

On a more positive note, Weakling's Dead As Dreams is fucking amazing, and I might actually recommend "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" to you even though I know you're not a metal person because hot damn, this album, wow. It does everything and it does it well. (I would also recommend you A Forest of Stars, by the by, although they are a way more obvious recommendation overall.)

Just finished the first track. This is pretty good.
    I think the title track and the third are my favourites, overall. It's quite an album.
    Alduin said:

So, I know this isn't the most politic last thing of the night, but my sister has been working backstage at some concerts lately as part of her stage management major and she has some thoughts.

Spoiler:

NGL my first impression of Lil Wayne was that he was an immense slimeball.
    As Jane said, what I'm saying is apparently not news, but I thought it worth mentioning because direct observations are fun.
  • Wayne has had a codeine addiction for like...most of his adult life, and was raised by Birdman, which is not a fate I'd wish on anyone. So him being kind of a jerk is not really that shocking.

Anyway I got a crazy haul from the library basement today and I will be posting those records momentarily.
    Yeah, that will fuck you up. Still doesn't make being around the guy much fun, particularly if he's essentially employing you to make sure his performance doesn't implode and he's actively making that difficult and unpleasant.

Ooooh, cool!
  • on CD I got:

-Third Phase - Third Phase, which is a demo CD pressed in New Jersey, presumably by some local band. Only four songs but what the heck, maybe I've discovered the next Big Star.

-The Lyra Vocal Ensemble - The Soul Of Russia, which is a collection of Russian Orthodox hymns

on cassette I got:

-The Soundtrack to Eddie & The Cruisers, which is great cuz I love "On The Dark Side"

-Night Ranger - Night Ranger's Greatest Hits, which is basically "Sister Christian" and friends. This is probably the most beat-up tape I've ever seen. It looks like it was dropped in mud and the case is cracked, and had the wrong insert (for a Foreigner album, so whoever owned this was a total connoisseur of 80s cheese).

-Tom T. Hall - Tom Hall's Greatest Hits, I've never heard of this dude but I dug the cover.

-PBS Multimedia Productions (!) - Street Smarts: How To Avoid Becoming A Victim With Detective J.J. Bittenbinder, I had to buy this because what the hell?

-Tommy Dorsey - The Best Of Tommy Dorsey, idk I just had a good feeling about this one

-Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Southern Accents, I have not heard this album but largely I have liked what I've heard by Tom Petty.

-Nature's Magic - Rain Forest Retreat, if you know me, you know I love kitschy nature sounds records. Great sampling material as well.
  • none of that is anything I know anything about so I can't say much

but nature sounds are always dope
  • That's fair.

And yes they are.

Some of these I will probably eventually re-donate, but I am definitely hanging on to that one.
    Tom Petty's always cool. The PBS thing sounds like something I'd enjoy listening to once.

Otherwise, I have to yesquote Naney here.
  • I mostly really like "Freefallin'" and a couple other singles but I'm hoping they hold up over an album.
  • There was some cool non-music stuff down there too. They had Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and one of the expansion packs for it, but the CD for the main game was kinda beat up and it was just sitting in this like paper envelope. If it'd been in-box I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

They also have a ton of Country Christmas tapes they can't get rid of. Probably the one thing they got here that I would never even consider buying.
  • now that i have a respectable cassette collection I am considering starting a blog about it.

what do you guys think of Magic Rectangles as a name
  • I think I'll write a sort of test post later today or tomorrow.
  • edited 2016-03-12 01:39:00

Heard about that earlier...
    Jane said:

I think I'll write a sort of test post later today or tomorrow.

This, at least, is positive. I look forward to it. And possibly to sending you weird cassettes in the mail with no return address like a creeper.
  • Heard about that earlier...

Jane said:

I think I'll write a sort of test post later today or tomorrow.

This, at least, is positive. I look forward to it. And possibly to sending you weird cassettes in the mail with no return address like a creeper.
    you can completely do that and I would not be upset.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    apropos of nothing, you know who's awesome? 

• Just Blaze is the man, yes.

It ended up being as much about the cassette itself as the music contained within, but that will probably not be unusual for this blog.
  • Just Blaze also released two of his drumkits for free once and it was great.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    he's one of only a few to get that clap-snare sound that was popular back then right, so that should be interesting
  • well drumkits matter fairly little honestly. I use four or five myself (all bootleg kits of various producers. My favorite being a Timbaland kit that I have never made anything that sounds remotely like a Timbaland track with).

It's more your technique and how you use them.
    Listening to PO PO's Dope Boy Magick now. I'm glad they actually made an album after their early singles, and it's certainly fun so far, but it's not quite so weird and arresting as, say, "Kill Tonight".
    Actually, this is all over the place in a pretty interesting way. Good job, Zeb.
    Oh no, it is another début (sort of?) that is also a last album, and it was pretty good! :/
  • Jane said:

-Tommy Dorsey - The Best Of Tommy Dorsey, idk I just had a good feeling about this one
    He's not my favorite jazz trombonist, but if you like big band era jazz, he's not a bad choice.
  • I listened to it yesterday and enjoyed it for the most part. Didn't care for the vocal songs much though.
  • DECADENCE, by Taku Iwasaki.

I really like the title of this song. Let me tell you why.
  • edited 2016-03-23 14:02:41
    So this song plays during one of my favorite shots in anime: when Shu is facing the landscape of the hellish future he's landed himself into. It sets the tone for the entire series - one small boy's struggle against a hostile, cruel world. 

What's striking about this series is that people as cruel as Hamdo existed even back then, when the series was made. The Rwandan Genocide and the Tianamen Square Massacre were still fresh in public consciousness in 1999, when this series was released. Two years later, we would have the War on Terror. The implication is that the future hasn't advanced from the days of brutal, heartless men. Quite to the contrary, said men dominate Earth now, the few pockets of resistance struggling to survive. "Decadence" here refers to the ruin such men bring upon Earth, and how they still fight over the scraps in the resultant aftermath.

Ten billion years and we still haven't learned our lesson.
  • Jane said:

also TNS you should read my blag post

Will do.
  • breaking my own rule but this is not a piece of music, it's just related to music