A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I don't actually know why people hate Mumford and Sons and Coldplay, other than associations with people they dislike.

Like, I understand disinterest or boredom, but not hate really.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think it's how they feel like what marketers think The Kids™ are into rather than actual authentic bands, so that naturally leads actual kids to get annoyed at their omnipresence in the media.

(I'll add that I actually like some Coldplay songs, so I'm not trying to be a snob here.)
    Okay that makes sense.

But like, there was a guy on twitter who was legitimately convinced Mumford and Sons were a white power band and I was just like ?????????
    Well, there are also a bunch of people who aren't kids but just want to feel superior by contriving excuses to hate the pop music du jour, so...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think i regarded Coldplay with disdain when i was younger but i'm not really sure why, knee-jerk rockism i guess?

Mumford and Sons, as i've said before, are not folk, are not connected to the folk scene, and did not belong on folk radio

i wouldn't expect anyone who didn't listen to folk to care about that, though

idk where the association with 'white power' comes from, i haven't seen any reason to think that
    TBF, Mumford & Sons aren't even trying to pretend to be folk anymore.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no, they're not

and they don't get played on folk radio anymore, either, so i have no problem with them
    There is something to be said about how they leached off of the folk scene for their initial popularity, however.
    Someone Mark E. Smith threw a beer bottle at.
    mostly

who the fuck is Mumford

• the new Game album (well, the first of two) is pretty good but it has a lot of problems

• the misogyny on "Bitch You Ain't Shit" is genuinely uncomfortable
    • there are like five skits and none of them add anything to the album
    • several tracks (eg. "Hashtag") never really go anywhere
    • you can't say "fag" on a song in 2015, especially if you're going to use "doesn't make sense like bashing the gays" as a simile on the very next song
    • why doesn't the album end at the end of "New York New York"?

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I heard the single from Mumford & The Sons' new album and thought it actually sounded interesting. Been meaning to see if the whole album is any good.
  • every band is in a perpetual state of simultaneous breakup and reunion
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So like my high school band, but more zen-ish.
  • Bottomless Pit is such a god damn Death Grips thing to name an album
  • Pere Ubu is Pee-Wee's Playhouse but as music discuss
    Both of the above are correct statements, although I would like to add that The Residents contributed music to that show.
  • rap albums / mixtapes that came out so far this year that I liked:

• Alchemist - Retarded Alligator Beats
    • A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
    • Beatking - Houston, 3 AM
    • Bridge Tracks & Mackay - The Catch Out vol. 1
    • Cannibal Ox - Blade of the Ronin
    • Camp Lo - Ragtime Hightimes
    • Clear Soul Forces - Fab Five
    • Curren$y - Pilot Talk III
    • Curren$y - Cathedral EP
    • Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
    • Dr. Dre - Compton
    • Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
    • Game - Documentary 2.5
    • Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood - Sour Soul
    • Gunplay - Living Legend
    • Jayrock - 90059
    • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    • Lil Wayne - The Free Weezy Album
    • L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us In Like Family
    • Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
    • Lupe Fiasco - Pharoah Height
    • Maxo Kream - maxo187
    • Migos - Young Rich Nation
    • Nickolas Thee Ruin - Distant Implosions (RIP)
    • Raekwon - Fly International Luxurious Art
    • Sean Price - Songs in the Key of Price (riP)
    • Tyler The Creator - Cherry Bomb
    • Vince Staples - Summertime '06
    to be updated as I think of more

relevant

• what is more Grime like "Nasty" by Skepta.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Okay so I'm at a loss for trying to remember this musician I really liked about a year ago. He was a modernist I'm pretty sure (thinking avant-garde or expressionism), or post-modern, and did some weird vocal singing that vaguely reminds me of scat music. It also sounded awful, but intentionally. Might've been a pioneering dude too?
  • uuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh are you thinking of Phil Minton?
    I proposed Minton, but apparently not.
  • edited 2015-10-28 22:08:52
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Maybe it was Minton and I'm not recalling faces accurately, I'll keep digging into his stuff in case it's a fluke in my memory. I feel like the stuff I heard came out in the 20s-40s, though take that as you will, naturally.
    Notes from the writing process for Coil's "The Anal Staircase" off of Horse Rotorvator (1986).
    That song was a big subconscious influence on my track "Saint Sebastian", now that I think of it.
  • https://flamebait.bandcamp.com/album/u-s-m

this album is everything i wanted Holly Herndon's Platform to be
  • you owe it to yourself to listen to that album if you have ears
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    http://www.newrepublic.com/article/123187/how-npr-killed-college-rock?curator=MusicREDEF

Am I correct in thinking this article kind of... derails and disappears up its own anus partway through?
  • edited 2015-10-31 01:34:09
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That article disappeared up its own ass about partway through the first few paragraphs. :P Anyone who trashes Top 40 wholesale isn't trustworthy, IMO.
    I would say that treating the sort of rock music that was popular on college radio as a single genre or movement is a pretty reductive, silly attitude to begin with, quite at odds with what a lot of these groups stood for in the first place. There were, of course, movements and styles that were associated with "college rock"—the Paisley Underground, American New Wave, the Beat Happening school of "indie," whatever that post-REM jangly-guitar-pop thing was—but the whole thesis is presumptuous and kind of... basic.
    Also: REM, The Smiths and Hüsker Dü were heavily influenced by the kind of sounds coming out of punk (or post-punk, as we know it now) that the author treats as somehow alienating and excessively abrasive; and Talking Heads' pop U-turn was them returning to a tighter four-person band setup after the creative overload of recording and touring something so lavish as Remain In Light nearly broke up the band entirely.

This guy is bad at history.
    OK, correction: He does address these things, but the approach is still pretentious. It would be cute if it were a middle-school paper, like the one I wrote on the evolution of punk (don't ask), but it's smarmy and basic and Simon Reynolds did it so, so, so much better.
  • edited 2015-10-31 03:53:33
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You know, as unfortunate as the mass buyout of independent non-commercial radio was, it was as much a consequence of Reagan's deregulation of the airwaves as this bullshit about an ostensible NPR affiliate monopoly. And for god's sake, there are still independent college and local stations out there with strong followings and distribution on the FM.

Also, yes, the strain of '60s revivalist indie rock, the shambling bands and their ilk, they were definitely responses to the aggression of punk rock. But treating their expression of the personal as political and their affected meekness as somehow bourgeois or conservative is a ridiculous misreading of intent and a misunderstanding of history. Even if you think The Soup Dragons and The Rain Parade were bogus, their roots are in some real radical territory: The Raincoats, Subway Sect, Half-Japanese, Spherical Objects, The Slits, The Mekons for fuck's sake. The gleefully inept, the wilfully tweedy and wimpy, the radically un-macho.

God, Svenonius. You lived through this. You should know better. Or rather, you lived through the tail end of it, and it shows. You sound like the lamest punk-ass punk I have ever seen or heard.
  • edited 2015-10-31 04:07:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The article already falls apart right at the very beginning, with his questioning of why there's no "college rock revival groups".

Even a decade ago, Interpol could already basically be considered one (even if they often got lumped in with the fellows trying to bring back 1960s garage rock). There's never really been a coherent wave of them, but there's been revivalists pocketed all over, Cloud Nothings being the most obvious example.

They really have no idea whatsoever of what modern music actually sounds like.
    There was no one "college rock sound." Even less than there was a "post-punk sound."
    I'm aware.

I was trying to go off what gets generalized as "college rock", which is what this person seems to be trying to talk about.
    He was making music then. He should recognise these basic facts. But he has this attitude that is so... lame.
    And smug as hell.
  • edited 2015-10-31 04:25:52

by the seventies it had become codified, established, and even conservative; particularly since its courtship of the country music audience with its “Southern rock” gambit (which begat Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, America, Molly Hatchet, Crazy Horse, et al)

... but Crazy Horse paired up with Neil Young, who tends to get seen as one of the godfathers of punk.

Lumping in Crazy Horse with what punk was trying to eliminate is just going against the historical record here.
  • edited 2015-10-31 04:24:55
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This is pretty much my weakest area, unarguably, and even I could see the patronizing, never mind the over-generalizing (which I'd not expect from anyone writing so much as a high school paper), and the painfully myopic "why is no one doing [thing]!?" nonsense. I stopped reading early on.

It'd be impressive if I weren't in a bad mood.
  • edited 2015-10-31 04:33:13

A college rock variant was therefore necessary for casual middle-class rock fans, left cold by heavy metal, punk rock, Southern rock, and the breezy West Coast sound of Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, and the Eagles.

This is the origin of college rock:

Started back in '83
    Started seeing things a differently
    And hardcore wasn't doin' it for me no more
    Started smoking pot
    Thought things sounded better slow
    Much slower, heavier
    Black magic melody to sink this poseur's soul

Not whatever the hell this guy's trying to make up.