A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    0vvvv0 said:

...oh, he does sound like a fuckboy, doesn't he?

Quoted from the bottom of the page, because it is relevant.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    OpAPHID said:
    I was doing it on mobile and formatted the link wrong.

Thanks for that.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    np
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    https://soundcloud.com/travis/steve-albini-interview-buddyhead-radio-5/s-MB2oW ;

“I don’t normally talk about records that I’ve worked on because I think it’s kind of rude. But there’s this guy Dan Smith, he puts out records under the name Danielson or Danielson Family… He’s put out a bunch of records that I think are charming and interesting and cool. He just put together this ad hoc band with a guy named Steve Taylor. The two of them put together this band – that was like kind of a 'fuck off' project and they play this really rowdy punk rock - like completely unexpected. 

The Danielson music is kind of clever and odd but it’s not rowdy. It’s not raucous – it’s like cute in a way. I’m charmed by it and I think it’s great but it’s not like powerful music. And the same with Steve Taylor… very much like the singer is the center of attention. It’s sort like conventional pop music in that regard. 

But the two of them writing these songs together and then deciding to make a punk band around it – somehow the synthesis was really natural - THAT RECORD IS FUCKED UP AND GREAT. 

That was out of the blue. I did not expect that kind of music out of them. I certainly didn’t expect it to be as awesome as it was. I was expecting it to be charming or interesting or curious or whatever but it ended up being really raucous and really great.”
  • ian Cohen is an absolutely enormous fuckboy
  • I discovered dungeonsynth this evening.

Truly no better thing to play when grinding in DCSS.
    i still don't know if i think dungeonsynth is a good genre or not

i am leaning towards 'yes' simply because a genre that leaves me so unsure about it is probably good
  • edited 2015-10-15 20:13:56
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Thoughts on Arch Enemy? I was looking at melodic death metal and thrash metal, noticed they have put a lot out and thought they seemed interesting. Also Opeth, DCD, and Isis.
  • I discovered dungeonsynth this evening.

Truly no better thing to play when grinding in DCSS.
    i still don't know if i think dungeonsynth is a good genre or not

i am leaning towards 'yes' simply because a genre that leaves me so unsure about it is probably good
    i like instrumental dungeonsynth

vocals are lol
  • edited 2015-10-15 20:25:19
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Thoughts on Arch Enemy? I was looking at melodic death metal and thrash metal, noticed they have put a lot out and thought they seemed interesting. Also Opeth, DCD, and Isis.

I haven't heard Arch Enemy yet, but Burning Bridges and Wages of Sin are supposed to be good albums.

Blackwater Park and Heritage are pretty obvious choices for Opeth.

I don't know as much about DCD as I should, but their earlier albums are worth listening to.

Imi can help you with Isis.
  • man whyd i never listen to neon indian before
  • Thoughts on Arch Enemy? I was looking at melodic death metal and thrash metal, noticed they have put a lot out and thought they seemed interesting. Also Opeth, DCD, and Isis.

In addition to the albums Section mentioned, I remember enjoying Doomsday Machine, though It's been awhile. If you like them, I'd also recommend checking out the band Carcass, specifically Heartwork and Swansong.

As for Opeth, Blackwater Park is easily my favorite of their albums. Deliverance, Damnation and Ghost Reveries are all really good too. If you like Opeth, also give Katatonia's Brave Murder Day a listen. It's Death-Doom instead Opeth's flavor of Progressive Death Metal, but it has the singer for Opeth doign the vocals and it's a solid album.

I can give you more Melodic Death Metal recommendations if you like.
  • edited 2015-10-16 07:40:34
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I rather enjoy Isis. They are, in some respects, what I feel like a lot of grungy/proggy alt-metal bands were striving for but failing to achieve, but filtered through a doom or sludge metal lens and distilled in some sort of musical alembic.
    ...how on earth is Future actually a thing, Drake aside? He has no presence on record, his annunciation is appalling, and his reliance on autotune and gloomy beats is... almost avant-garde in its lack of conventional pop appeal, really.
  • everything I've heard from future has been fun
    I'm not saying it's not entertaining in a "this is actually really weird" way. I'm just saying that it has absolutely no business being on the Billboard charts.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

...how on earth is Future actually a thing, Drake aside? He has no presence on record, his annunciation is appalling, and his reliance on autotune and gloomy beats is... almost avant-garde in its lack of conventional pop appeal, really.

that's why people like him. It's intensely depressive music.

Future's success actually owes a lot more to Gucci Mane and the Dungeon Family than it does to Drake, and even though I don't like his music at all, I at least can respect what he's doing.
    That's my point. It's bleak and scuzzy and sounds like it's being broadcast from the basement of an abandoned apartment complex on Pluto.
    I'm just puzzled as to how this stuff is actually charting. This cyberpunk future of ours (heh) is really weird.
  • something something, speaks to the milennial soul, something
    I'm not sure whether I'm entirely behind this new weirdness simply because it seems to give permission for things that are technically extremely subpar without being interesting to become similarly popular. But that was already happening. At least Future is intriguingly bizarre.
  • as long as you don't become one of those people who seriously thinks that Future is more important than Nas
    Historically, no, not at all; nor on a technical basis. But to be fair... has Nas done anything interesting in actual years?
  • 0vvvv0 said:

Historically, no, not at all; nor on a technical basis. But to be fair... has Nas done anything interesting in actual years?

his last album was quite good and he's working with Timbaland of all people on his next, so yes, depending on your perspective.

But that's like asking what Paul McCartney's done lately, it kind of misses the point of their legacy as an artist.

This is where I realize that somewhere along the line I've become the person who thinks everything post-Beatles is shit, but for rap instead.
    At least he's doing something decent. Might check it out at some point.
  • honestly Future is sort of an example (along with eg. Young Thug) of what i was talking about earlier with people thinking "interesting" and "good" are the same thing.

I can listen to Future's songs one by one, but over the course of even a short project it becomes a complete slog.
  • rap albums / mixtapes that came out so far this year that I liked:

• Alchemist - Retarded Alligator Beats
    • A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
    • Beatking - Houston, 3 AM
    • Bridge Tracks & Mackay - The Catch Out vol. 1
    • Cannibal Ox - Blade of the Ronin
    • Camp Lo - Ragtime Hightimes
    • Clear Soul Forces - Fab Five
    • Curren$y - Pilot Talk III
    • Curren$y - Cathedral EP
    • Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
    • Dr. Dre - Compton
    • Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
    • Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood - Sour Soul
    • Gunplay - Living Legend
    • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    • Lil Wayne - The Free Weezy Album
    • L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us In Like Family
    • Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
    • Lupe Fiasco - Pharoah Height
    • Maxo Kream - maxo187
    • Migos - Young Rich Nation
    • Nickolas Thee Ruin - Distant Implosions (RIP)
    • Raekwon - Fly International Luxurious Art
    • Sean Price - Songs in the Key of Price (riP)
    • Tyler The Creator - Cherry Bomb
    • Vince Staples - Summertime '06
    to be updated as I think of more

relevant
  • I just checked that Vince Staples album out at the library
  • it's good.

I don't know if it'd be your thing, but I really liked it.

honestly Future is sort of an example (along with eg. Young Thug) of what i was talking about earlier with people thinking "interesting" and "good" are the same thing.

I can listen to Future's songs one by one, but over the course of even a short project it becomes a complete slog.

That's reasonable.
  • it's good.

I don't know if it'd be your thing, but I really liked it.
    im digging the production on Lift Me Up

it's... slinky
  • whyyyy did it take me so long to listen to talk talk and bark psychosis i don't know. but these albums are both very my jam
  • not enjoying Glass Swords as much as I thought I would
  • The Weeknd has very cool hair
  • edited 2015-10-18 19:38:40

I now have a box set of everything Steely Dan put out through 1980
  • except their first single which they hate and refuse to reissue apparently
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    :3 said:

• ...I now own more Steely Dan albums than I do of any other band
  • absurd quantities of Steely Dan

My dad has that. It's in our living room. It's not that large a collection of CDs, though, is it?

Also, I gave you my entire Prurient collection. So while you own more Steely Dan (weird to say), you definitely have a lot more Prurient.
  • edited 2015-10-18 22:14:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    0vvvv0 said:

My dad has that. It's in our living room. It's not that large a collection of CDs, though, is it?

Also, I gave you my entire Prurient collection. So while you own more Steely Dan (weird to say), you definitely have a lot more Prurient.
    Yeah, it's seven albums in total. I'm pretty sure he owns more Foetus than that, to list a random example.
    Random aside: If anyone asks why Chvrches let Martin Doherty front one or two songs per album, simply direct them to the video of their Pitchfork Festival performance from last year and skip to "Under the Tide". It's the dancing that makes it, but pretty much every aspect of that performance is intensely endearing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Calica said:

In the arcade game/PS1 game, he was called S-Terry Dan
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think you wanted the other music thread for that one.
  • the new Game album (well, the first of two) is pretty good but it has a lot of problems

• the misogyny on "Bitch You Ain't Shit" is genuinely uncomfortable
    • there are like five skits and none of them add anything to the album
    • several tracks (eg. "Hashtag") never really go anywhere
    • you can't say "fag" on a song in 2015, especially if you're going to use "doesn't make sense like bashing the gays" as a simile on the very next song
    • why doesn't the album end at the end of "New York New York"?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Wovenhand: "Kingdom of Ice"