Typography

124»

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I really, really like this. Those swashes are so delightfully '70s

• As mentioned previously in Treman's Thread, I switched my phone's default font from Roboto to Helvetica with HTC's theme engine, and while the letters are a little thin it's a nice change of pace from the default, and it actually looks really good with Material, contrary to what Google would have you believe.

Marcia: that "V" is super funky.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh hey, I decided to look up Ye Olde Hershey Fonts on a whim, and guess what? The Roman is a close copy of Gorton Normal. XD
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Ye Olde Hershey Fonts?

Also, I've grown tired of geometric sans faces being everywhere, and I feel bad about this.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ It is a great v.
  • edited 2015-11-12 23:40:48
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    https://frerejones.com/families/mallory

look who's back!

Also: note how it looks like a cross between Gotham and Whitney (for the shears, at least; it looks more overtly like the London Underground letters than Whitney does)
    I really wish ITC or somebody else would digitize Serif Gothic and Lubalin Graph's ligatures and alternates. They both had a complement of such that were modeled on Avant Garde's, and neither ever appear to have made it to digital.
  • Anonus said:

https://frerejones.com/families/mallory

look who's back!

Also: note how it looks like a cross between Gotham and Whitney (for the shears, at least; it looks more overtly like the London Underground letters than Whitney does)

fucking FINALLY
    Anonus said:

I really wish ITC or somebody else would digitize Serif Gothic and Lubalin Graph's ligatures and alternates. They both had a complement of such that were modeled on Avant Garde's, and neither ever appear to have made it to digital.

I've seen versions of Serif Gothic on Myfonts that have some of the alternates, but I don't know how complete they are.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    You know the font Hasbro uses all over their My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic branding? The one for the text "Friendship Is Magic"? Today I learned that it's the font Generation B, designed by Font Bros.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ha!

I can't help but feel they're gonna have an uphill battle with that one, unfortunately.
  • Willing to bet there's going to be an out-of-court settlement for that case.

Which very well may be what Font Bros. are actually hoping to get! It wouldn't be pretty for a small type foundry to go up against a company that owns a third of the toy industry, so what else could they hope for?
    House Industries, I think, successfully sued NBCUniversal over unlicensed fonts once...
  • edited 2016-01-27 03:51:11
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm curious why Font Bros waited six years to sue, and whether that's going to hurt their suit. IIRC, Font Bros can't plead ignorance, because their own website used to say something to the effect of "As seen in My Little Pony".
    $599.99 for the whole set 😭
    I know...
  • edited 2016-05-10 15:20:12
    I would be more bothered by this if not for the fact that no computer-generated text is going to match the feel of the original trilogy's manually-typeset crawl.
    yay motion control shots
    And wow, you could reproduce that exact shot with an LCD monitor and practically any camera these days.
  • edited 2016-05-27 03:17:22
    UPDORT on the Star Wars font brouhaha: The description in the Slashfilm article makes it sound like it was all about the text of the prologue. But the initial complaint was focused on the font for the episode title. The charge is that the words "THE FORCE AWAKENS" were set in the News Gothic family, while the titles for previous Star Warses were set in Univers.

Except that's not entirely true. "A NEW HOPE" and "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" were set in News Gothic, then George Lucas switched over to Univers for "RETURN OF THE JEDI" and all the prequels. So JJ Abrams wasn't so much changing things as he was choosing the older standard over the new one. GEE I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY HE WOULD DO THAT

Damn, it's almost like JJ was deliberately baiting nerds with that choice.

...how did I never notice that before?

Also, bonus picture of the original 1977 opening crawl from before the "A NEW HOPE" title was retroactively applied:

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    They're similar enough that i'd question whether anyone without a background in typography really did perceive the one face as 'more staid, less urgent', even unconsciously
    I like it ^_^
  • Sony has its own font family.

I'd always kinda suspected it since the PS4 interface and their promotional materials are slathered in it, but it was nice to finally get some confirmation. They actually worked with Monotype to do it instead of keeping it in house, which is cool, and the end result is pretty damn Frutigeresque but it still feels well done. I think it works especially well in context, so props to 'em.
    Monotype owns almost every significant typeface developed in the Latin-writing world so it's no surprise they get jobs like this

????
    I found the problem...sort of.

See those duplicate files? When I installed the 2014 Roboto, Windows, as is typical when "replacing" fonts, left the 2011 Roboto files around.

But I do think this is a bug in Inkscape, because there's no reason it should be pulling the wrong font file and the right file at the same time like that.
  • edited 2016-11-29 21:41:08
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    https://frerejones.com/families/retina

Tobias Frere-Jones got to take this with him in the separation from Hoefler, and has released it to the public!
    Yay!
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I presently have a font crush on Beval, thanks to a trucking company called SAIA. I think it would work well on freeway signs.
    http://www.typography.com/fonts/ringside/overview/

Knockout (and by extension Champion Gothic) has a companion now!
    Nice.
    pretty!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    About a month ago, I got the 2016 reissues of Colin Newman's albums A–Z and Not To. And I need to get off my chest that a meaningless inconsistency in typography is really bugging me. To wit:

A–Z:
    Front cover: title in Gill Sans
    Back cover: titles and copyright text in Gill Sans
    Spine: titles in Gill Sans
    CD label: title in Gill Sans; copyright text in Helvetica
    Interior of digipak: all text in Helvetica

Not To:
    Front cover: titles in Helvetica
    Back cover: titles and copyright text in Helvetica
    Spine: titles in Gill Sans
    CD label: titles and copyright text in Helvetica
    Interior of digipak: all text in Helvetica