Typography

Comments

• It's a shame that's not an exact digitization but rather a rework/updating; the letter forms are not identical.  Close enough for most purposes, though; it carries the feel of the original.
  • edited 2015-02-19 05:40:40
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Hannes von Döhren released this yesterday

Looks like a less quirky, more versatile alternative to Maple
  • I hate to say this, but the ubiquity of Wisdom Script (and, to a lesser extent, its ilk) long ago tired me
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Why do you hate to say that?
  • Because I actually do like its ilk (the designer of Wisdom Script himself feels his work to have been improved on by the likes of Thirsty Script), it's just that somehow it feels...I don't know, overly constrained? And I'm starting to associate it with Manufactured Cool...
  • I'm using Wisdom for the logo of the school's literary magazine this year, which I effectively strongarmed my way into the role of "head designer" for, and I can see why one would figure as much given that it's blown up pretty rapidly but I feel like it's one of those fonts that will probably still be able to hold up once the trend dies off.

Unrelated: Toby Frere-Jones is starting up a new foundry. I don't think they've got anything out yet, but I'm excited to see where they go-- I know it's bad to take sides in such matters, but I'm definitely rooting for him.
  • He's got nothing out yet. I'm rooting for him too.
  • I don't think it's necessarily taking sides in the "divorce" to want to see him continue to create good stuff regardless of disputes about the former business.  

As to that business, this is why you set up written contracts and consult with lawyers in creating a partnership or anything of that nature.  If Hoefler and Frere-Jones had done that, then there would be a definitive statement of what they agreed to, rather than a verbal agreement that they both appear to remember differently.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
  • is that your first effort?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    At last, Font Bureau has released Antenna Serif (formerly Receiver)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Centie likes
  • are you aware that you can save HUNDREDS on your psychic energy builds with a professional-grade LCD Globe?
    It says something about me that I was too busy looking at the shapes of the letters to even read what the text actually said
  • FACTORY SETTINGS ENSURE LONG-TERM SURVIVABILITY

that text sample is fucking incredible

they're called specimens

Font Bureau always has funny ones
  • oh my god

BENCH PRESS

GOING FOR 5,849 STRAIGHT REPITITONS
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    holographic numbers are highly legible
    Hermann Zapf died yesterday :(
    I'd say we should change the HH logo for Palatino wordmark for a day in tribute, but that's a bit cheesy
  • I dug into the installation files of my favorite game and found treasure.

Only comes in caps as a stylistic thing, but needless to say I like the look of it a lot. ^___^
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

I'd say we should change the HH logo for Palatino wordmark for a day in tribute, but that's a bit cheesy

do it 

doooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    I'm on a work computer right now but if Tre or Anonus whips one up I'll put it up there

Something like "Heapers' Hangout" with "HERMANN ZAPF 1918-2015" below it, maybe
    put the "HH" next to it
    http://www.typography.com/blog/archer-heavyweight

I have been silently asking for these for years
  • edited 2015-09-15 18:01:29
    things that irrationally bother me: typefaces where 'l' and 'I' are indistinguishable from each other

e: hah, there actually is a slight difference here... the lowercase L is a little taller...
    I've seen a lot of people complain about that over the years and I never really understood it

Context works well enough, no?

Granted, there was that one time someone made a "CentraI Avenue" account on IJBM...
    you sneaky cat you
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    yo, got any recs for sci fi/computery fonts that are monospace but free for commercial use?

I've seen a lot of people complain about that over the years and I never really understood it

Context works well enough, no?

Granted, there was that one time someone made a "CentraI Avenue" account on IJBM...
    yeah, the problem is that you get things like the reai banksy
  • ¡¡¡ iii ¡¡¡ iii ¡¡¡
    https://twitter.com/commercialtype/status/642715637211639808

I missed this, though I can't say it's a big surprise :/
    Frutiger and Zapf gone this year :(
    :(
    Let's take bets on how long it'll be till Google starts putting their search results in Roboto.

They use it on 90% of their other sites now, including YouTube and Google Maps, so you know it's coming eventually.

Also people will inevitably whine about it the way they do when any website changes anything.
    on the corporate level, they use a geometric sans based on the letters in their logo
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ i promise i won't whine if that happens, but i don't much like Roboto
  • Let's take bets on how long it'll be till Google starts putting their search results in Roboto.

They use it on 90% of their other sites now, including YouTube and Google Maps, so you know it's coming eventually.

Also people will inevitably whine about it the way they do when any website changes anything.
    why do you resent this sort of thing so much
    Did I sound resentful? I'm not, not really. Roboto's kinda "meh" but it's a step up from Arial, so I won't be complaining when they eventually use it for every Google product.

If anything I just find it kinda amusing to see them gradually make these changes...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Arial is, like, nothing

doesn't register, it's generic text to me
    it's so ungainly to me
    and cheap
    arial is the cheap version of helvetica
  • therefore superior
  • man I post a pretty typeface and nobody says anything