Disney and America

2»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    How To Train Your Dragon is probably the best DWA movie i've seen.

my mother doesn't like the musical numbers in Disney movies... she says they're boring.  For me they're the best part.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    oh

The designs of the human characters in The Croods aren't very appealing to me either, but there's a lot of visual elements other than them that look great to me. And it's full of weird-looking cute critters...

HTTYD does suffer from having this dark tint to it...
  • Anonus said:

HTTYD does suffer from having this dark tint to it...
    (*perks up*)
    Well, the actual picture looks kind of darkened...a lot of people chalk it up to the 3D conversion...
  • edited 2014-03-25 02:30:39
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People talk about 'Let It Go' because it resonates with certain people who feel that there's never been a thing that does that, and thus it is the most important song in the movie, if you take the songs as standalone things.

And there's some truth in that, but no movie has things that is supposed to be taken by itself. Sure, in terms of narrative, 'Let It Go' is really important. But 'Do You Want To Build A Snowman' is also really important to Anna's character and sets up the central conflict.

(also 'Let It Go' is really really well performed)

As to How To Train Your Dragon, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; It's one of many kid-with-pet movies. BUT it's the first kid-with-pet movie in which I have actually wanted to be the kid, because of how well they portray and animated and created the pet.
  • Anonus said:

Well, the actual picture looks kind of darkened...a lot of people chalk it up to the 3D conversion...

oh
  • edited 2014-03-25 02:35:20
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

I do admire a lot of Disney animation, even if the control-freakiness of the company and certain figures associated with it (like the Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar, John Lasseter) off-putting

Fun story about this: Years ago, when YouTube was still new, my brother posted a copy of John's student film (from an old Pyramid print, recorded off of pay cable, that he found in a set of old time-shifter tapes he bought on eBay or something like that). It was such a big deal at the time that it made the newspapers and drew a considerable amount of attention. 

Then, a few days later, my brother's account had been banned and all of his content (including several reels of DC_area commercials) deleted. This was shocking to him because the complaint seemed to be for a single video—John's student film­—and then as now, YouTube usually handled copyright claims by just deleting the video in question and moving on. 

He told me he was pretty sure it was not Disney legal that did it, but John Lasseter, personally, and considering that they unpersoned my brother entirely, I would not be surprised if he screamed bloody murder about multi-million dollar lawsuits (something that would have killed YouTube in the cradle back in the pre-Google days). 

These days, it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal; they'd just slap a preroll ad on and be done with it. Back then, though, no one had ever seen anything like YouTube, and I'm sure there was some nervousness in the film world that it wasn't going to be the great enabler...it was just going to be the next Napster. :P
  • (also 'Let It Go' is really really well performed)
    different strokes for different folks i suppose?

because i thought that it sounded super boring, espec. the singing
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't really know how to say what I like about that performance; I don't have the language to describe it.

Maybe it's because after hearing it once, I have it memorized.

Maybe it's because it evokes in me the feelings of freedom after confinement, which I understand, somewhat.

Maybe while I love the quirky and the strange, just plain straight up, earnest, and simple works have a special place in my heart.

(radio version of song is really boring though, I'll give you that)
    It's kind of sad how John Lasseter seems to be a tyrant, because I admire his work...

I don't know if he'd think of himself as such...Jeffrey Katzenberg (the last real rudder Walt Disney Feature Animation/Animation Studios had before Lasseter) did at least say "people think I'm a tyrant. I am a tyrant."
  • Oh, man. That really happened? That's saddening to hear.
    Let It Go has a catchy melody and memorable lyrics, is sung powerfully, and is accompanied by gorgeous visuals.  That'd enough for me, even discounting its role in the context of the story itself.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Anonus said:

What don't you like about Disney, Naney?

(*shrug*) just don't like 'em

the musical numbers certainly don't help any
  • Tre said:

pmuch

also, they canceled Fillmore! but we will let that wound stay closed

To be fair, Fillmore was apparently an expensive show to make. Voice talent that good costs money. Still wish it was on though.

• (also 'Let It Go' is really really well performed)

different strokes for different folks i suppose?

because i thought that it sounded super boring, espec. the singing
    Idina Menzel generally doesn't resonate with me either, which is bad because she seems like a nice celebrity and her voice has hella chops. "Defying Gravity", her other big hit, strikes me as incredibly powerful and technically brilliant but not particularly emotive or notable (and to be fair, I think most of that is the fault of the lyrics and the songwriting, not Menzel). And frankly, I think that does what Let it Go's trying to do better than Let it Go does. 

Honestly, you'd think that a song about releasing repressed feelings would have some more powerful language behind it. Or more intense instrumentals, or more intense composition. Seriously, what the movie gives it is more appropriate for an MLP episode than a dramatic moment. Every time I hear it, it's like I'm hearing a watered-down version of what it should be. Like the Glee version of a song. It doesn't even sound like something that a character would really say. And listening to it with the movie doesn't help. The animation, while technically beautiful, feels more restrained with the imagery than it should be. Like the scene's repressing some emotion, so to speak. I feel like I'm watching a show at a Disney Resort, watching someone pretend to be letting go of repression. It may just be it not meshing with what I associate with repression, since it's resonating with hella people, but I feel like it has problems. 

Look at another Disney song that's about repression: Hunchback's Hellfire. Appropriate visuals, appropriate language, emotion in the singing, song is very specific to the character. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Guess who has two sisters who love that song and play it all the time?  Me!

Let it GO has been stuck in my head for weeks.

Main thing is how her voice wavers on "I'm never gooooooing back, the past is in-the-past".  The voice fwarbs.  And I know that's not a real word, but it does.

At least they don't watch the Barbie Movies any more.

To be a princess is to know which spoon to use!
    To be a princess is a thousand pairs of shoes!
    To maintain a regal gait, leave the parsley on your plate
    And be Charming but Detached and yet amused!
    To be a princess is to never be confused!
  • Fwarbs.

I vaguely remember Barbie Movies being shown on Nickelodeon. I may have watched them when there was nothing else to do.

It sucks that so much girl-specific programming sucks.
  • Aliroz said:

Main thing is how her voice wavers on "I'm never gooooooing back, the past is in-the-past". 

Whoa!  That was about the coolest thing ever!

Me gotta see that again!
    Aliroz said:

Main thing is how her voice wavers on "I'm never goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Uh-oh.  We got a waver.
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

Main thing is how her voice wavers on "I'm never gooooooing back, the past is in-the-past". 

Whoa!  That was about the coolest thing ever!

Me gotta see that again!
    Aliroz said:

Main thing is how her voice wavers on "I'm never goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Uh-oh.  We got a waver.
    I relaly awnt... some fothesechips
  • waver velvet
    >Defying Gravity
    >not particularly emotive or notable

wat

no but, i realize not everyone likes the same thing, but i can't wrap my head around two people hearing the same songs and reacting to them so differently

i love Defying Gravity and i love Let It Go

i mean, "UGH"??? how can you even
  • art is generally a subjective sort of thing
    Well, i know.

But i can't put myself into Yarrun's shoes here at all.

It's like people who hate chocolate.
  • What about people who don't like chocolate that much but don't hate it?
    that's easier for me to understand

i'm talking about a response that's so diametrically opposed to my own reaction to something that i almost can't believe we're responding to the same thing
  • LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE EVILS OF MINT. MINT FLAVORING. AND HOW IT HAS RUINED SOCIETY AS IT EXISTS TODAY.
  • BUT I LIKE WHITE CHOCOLATE
  • Let's copyright Happy Birthday.
    Warner Music Group already owns it
  • there ought to be a way for something to be forced into public domain.
    Like the copyright equivalent of a genericized trademark?
  • i guess?

under limited circumstances -- such as something being around long enough and prevalent enough that pretty much everyone knows it

this is an idea i just proposed on a whim; i haven't thought it through; please don't hold it against me if my reasoning is flawed -_-
  • edited 2014-03-27 04:20:06
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    If anyone is against long-standing works of art being in the public domain, it sure ain't us
  • edited 2014-03-27 05:15:11
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @glennmagusharvey Oh, i'm not holding anything against you; it's just an interesting idea that i'd never really considered before, nor seen proposed.
  • Tachyon said:

>Defying Gravity
    >not particularly emotive or notable

wat

no but, i realize not everyone likes the same thing, but i can't wrap my head around two people hearing the same songs and reacting to them so differently

i love Defying Gravity and i love Let It Go

i mean, "UGH"??? how can you even

To be fair, I was being a bit harsh on Defying Gravity. It actually fits the play and the characters, and it works in the context of the rest of the play. And the instrumentation is much, much more fitting.

(2015 self)
    Anonus said:

Warner Music Group already owns it

Scumbags, stealing the rights from Patty and Mildred J. Hill.

Get your filthy copyright ownership off of an essential component of birthdays and all that is good in life.

AT least it's not in the public domain.  I hate the public domain.
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

If anyone is against long-standing works of art being in the public domain, it sure ain't us

A-HEM!
    (2015 self)

there ought to be a way for something to be forced into public domain.

NO.
  • edited 2014-03-27 23:43:14
    Why not?

Copyright term of fifty years.  Reapply for copyright term renewal after that, for up to two more twenty-five-year terms.  At 100 years, if it's still up and you're a human and you're still alive, you get to retain copyright until you pass away.  (Not if you're a non-human person -- i.e. a company.  100-year limit there, and you still have to reapply, and in both cases, you need to demonstrate that it is actually socially meaningful for you to retain copyright.)

Or if you want to make it simple, fifty years.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't understand why you hate the public domain, Aliroz.

Public domain means people like you and me can do things with them and not be punished for it.
  • Actually, didn't you say you like Youtube Poop?

Because YTPs regularly get taken down for using copyrighted material.
    (2015 self)
    I don't really hate the public domain.  That'd be stupid.

I was just being silly, but next time I'll make sure to have a disclaimer.