Disney and America

edited 2014-03-24 21:25:57 in General

The most American of pastimes: buying stuff

Comments

• and also controlling the weather
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Disney controls the weather?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    She watches Marvy's face as he pays Monika, watches him in this primal American act, paying, more deeply himself than when coming, or asleep, or maybe even dying.
  • Anonus said:

Disney controls the weather?

New England, New York and most of Pennsylvania will experience a bitterly cold and snow-filled season. The mid-Atlantic states will be cold, wet and blanketed in white. The Southeast will be chilly and wet all winter. Texas and other Southern states will experience frost and above-average dampness. Illinois and the surrounding states will have "biting cold" and snow. The Midwest will see "piercing cold" with normal snowfall. The Pacific Northwest will see a dry and chilly year. The one good region in the predictions is California, Nevada and Arizona, which will see a season of cool with near-normal precipitation.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Is that why Europeans think juxtaposing American-committed atrocities with Disney Characters is witty?
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-24 21:44:03
    Yeah, I would guess so

Disney is seen here as a cultural touchstone and a source of nostalgia for many, so using it as an image of evil isn't expected... unless you're already used to it

It's only really powerful if not used often, but so many have latched onto the image of Mickey Mouse as a murderer that it's become almost as prevalent as the character himself
    The image of Disney as evil is almost as prevalent as the brand name itself
    that means something
  • that people enjoy looking at things in a cynical manner, or something else?
  • Disney is actually, genuinely, legitimately, a very harmful company.

Whether that has anything to do with the "Mickey Mouse as a serial killer" meme is another question entirely.
  • I'm simultaneously glad they exist and fearful of their power, m'self.

I can honestly say that, while I can't say I'm a fan of their business practices or some of the internal issues that have made themselves known over the company's lifetime, they've put out enough good shit that I consider them an integral part of who I am as a person (through their work, of course).

Also, I wouldn't have my Oswald ears if not for them, and a world where I can't have those is no world I wish to live in. :P
  • disney is gross and they make annoying-ass songs

basically 0/10 would not support financially

now in the right thread
  • (*sarcastic, high pitched strangled warbling*) LEEEeeeEEEttt IIIIIIITTT gooOOOOOooOOOOO
  • do you wanna f**k a snowman?

it doesn't have to be a snowman
    I have conflicted thoughts on Disney.

I do enjoy a lot of their cinematic work (the Disney Animated Canon, the work of Pixar and Marvel Studios), but I dislike their overzealousness when it comes to copyright, the fact that they generally bury their old TV shows (even ones they acquired - whatever parts of the Fox Family Worldwide library they still own and most of the Muppet TV series would like a word with you), the fact that the Disney-branded TV channels (in the US, at least) serve primarily to advertise the company's wares, and the seeming authoritarian attitude they exude.
  • pmuch

also, they canceled Fillmore! but we will let that wound stay closed
    Oh wait, I just remembered one part of the FFWW library they do still own AND has escaped from the Disney Vault: the old Marvel cartoons, which are again under Marvel's ownership. Marvel doesn't SIT ON SHIT like Disney-ABC Television Group seems to like doing.

I have vague memories of Fillmore!; it seems like a fun show...

disney is gross and they make annoying-ass songs

basically 0/10 would not support financially
    basically this
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-25 01:30:33
    the Vault system of selling things kinda pisses me off too

It's kind of artificially boosting the sentimental worth (if not the actual value) of film by only doing rare rereleases instead of keeping original versions in print

now that I think about it, that must've been why we were so damn fast to buy Frozen (it came out on Blu-ray last Tuesday; we owned it last Wednesday)
  • THE CoooooLD NEVER BOTHErED ME ANYWAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-25 01:35:32
    re: Let It Goooo: it isn't even so much the song that bothers me as it is the ardent fervor surrounding it and Frozen as a whole

(although I think that'll get better as time goes by-- people will move on, and the film will be better for it)
    Nobody really talks about the other songs from Frozen
  • that is something to be thankful for at least
  • i have literally not heard a single other song from Frozen and that fact makes me so fuckin happy
  • Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? is also pretty popular, albeit not to Let It Go's extent b/c the former is significantly more attached to the story in arrangement than the latter

Other than that, it is kind of strange that the rest of it isn't quoted as much in daily life by comparison. (Context probably has something to do with it-- it's hard to drop references to "In Summer" when you're not a snowman)
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-25 01:46:45
    and while we're talking about it, Olaf ended up making the film for me, as he's one of those interesting cases where the comic relief ends up being a significant part of the events and it's made natural

and he himself is a distillation of my Soft PG-rated humor tendencies too

(I'm still wondering how he got into the palace near the end, but bygones)
  • edited 2014-03-25 01:48:58
    I still like Disney movies. >>

Just saw Frozen last night with family.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Disney has plenty of severe problems, but they have made some very good films.  Most of my favourite animated movies are Pixar.
    Odradek said:

Is that why Europeans think juxtaposing American-committed atrocities with Disney Characters is witty?

Disney (along with various fast food chains) is probably the most visible and iconic American cultural export in Europe.

It also gets associated with cultural imperialism, rightly or wrongly.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-25 01:49:51
    As do I. It's very much possible to like a work without liking its producers (or anyone involved, honestly).

Wreck-It Ralph is probably my favorite of the canon these days, and I've given up on trying to find a favorite with Pixar because they've nailed it 13 times out of 14
  • Oh man, I love Wreck-It-Ralph. Sadly can't find my copy anymore.
  • grossest american things:

* walmart

* disney

* and i guess a lot of people think McDonalds is but i think they're just kinda sub-par

most iconic american things

* walmart

* disney

* McDonalds

basically the US really needs a fuckin' PR consultant
    What don't you like about Disney, Naney?
  • I haven't heard Let it Go.
  • oh yeah and coke

but for some reason i don't think as many people object to coke even if they go around actively murdering people
  • Anonus said:

What don't you like about Disney, Naney?

(*shrug*) just don't like 'em

the musical numbers certainly don't help any
  • that is in reference to the movies themselves

you have already listed most of the reasons i can think of for them being a lousy company

• this is the only disney musical number i like and it's not even in the movie it's from

because it's Eartha Kitt man

incidentally The Emperor's New Groove is definitely my favorite disney film, it just feels so much more vivacious than their other stuff
    I do admire a lot of Disney animation, even if the control-freakiness of the company and certain figures associated with it (like the Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar, John Lasseter) off-putting
  • the animation can be quite lovely yes

but so many of the movies feel so poorly paced and bloated it just drives me batty

you know, I have not seen Lilo and Stitch in some time, and i remember really liking that one, i should give it another spin and see how it holds up
  • An aside: This is actually the first year since 2002 that Pixar won't have a film out, but they're doing 2 next year so it sort of evens out

I haven't heard much about Disney Animation's current project, though

and Emperor's New Groove has a lot of appeal thanks to Eartha Kitt and the fact that it was the first time they went for the "protag turns into an animal unwillingly" plot, making its interpretation a bit fresher than, say, Brother Bear
    2005, not 2002

Pixar doing 2 for next year...I wonder what the virulent "DreamWorks Animation sucks because they're not Pixar and Pixar keeps it to 1 a year" people will have to say about that

As for WDAS, Big Hero 6 is going to be one of the bigger tests of Disney and Marvel's ability to jibe with one another, content-wise...

I haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove or Lilo & Stitch in ages...
  • If you like How to Train Your Dragon or the Croods at all then Lilo and Stitch should be a good one

same directors, and I think the only one I didn't immediately catch as their work was the Croods
    Chris Sanders alone collaborated with Kirk DeMicco on The Croods, which did not involve Dean DeBlois. DeBlois alone directed How to Train Your Dragon 2...
  • ah, right, they did skip 05

that was while Pixar was flirting with Warner Bros. and Disney was getting heated at the possibility of a breakup

that Didney Worl moolah kept Pixar as loyal as it gets tho
  • My favorite part of the movie was how the first half or so was framed as Kuzco in his most sorry state telling the audience about how he got there and then the second half was him getting his shit together and succeeding and whatnot

It provided a nice momentum and complimented the self-aware goofiness perfectly.
  • edited 2014-03-25 02:11:46

Tre said:

If you like How to Train Your Dragon or the Croods at all then Lilo and Stitch

i have seen neither of those first two and i honestly don't want to
  • DeBlois wasn't on the Croods?

Well then. Interesting, I must've forgotten.

I knew Sanders wasn't coming back for HTTYD 2 as director, though I still remember something about a production credit...

Tre said:

If you like How to Train Your Dragon or the Croods at all then Lilo and Stitch

i have seen neither of those first two and i honestly don't want to
    Why not?

I admit to having seen both of them, and while not being thrilled with The Croods outside of the visuals, I did enjoy HTTYD, albeit not to the extent that most others seemed to.
  • they just don't seem visually appealing